PDA

View Full Version : O'Neill Next Manager?

Curtains
06/06/2005, 9:58 PM
Whats the odds of all this going pete tong, no world cup, Kerr gets the boot and Martin O'Neill is the next Ireland manager. May not be as stupid as you think as a part time job would suit him even if he didnt really want to return to football! I wee fluter on that could pay off!!

onenilgameover
06/06/2005, 10:09 PM
Don't think its likely there buddy...and its certainly not helpful to discuss the next boss when BK still has us in a postion to qualify...O'Neill's wife is very ill also...I'd say leave him and Mr Kerr alone for awhile and use your betting money on something else....

jimbob117
07/06/2005, 1:20 AM
this is a stupid thread.We have 4 more games to go for gods sake and are unbeaten so far. If youd have said at the start at the group that we had to beat the 2 weak teams away and draw and win against the 2 stongest in our last 4 games to qualify, most would have taken it. yet u talk about our next manager..... no need for it

Plastic Paddy
07/06/2005, 7:47 AM
Not yet, anyway. If we don't qualify for the World Cup, however, then the blame should be laid squarely at the feet of Kerr and he should go.

:ball: PP

stickyjoe
07/06/2005, 7:59 AM
I think its time everyone calmed down a little after saturday night. Yes, it was a bad result, yes there was some mistakes made tactically but this isnt the time to start calling for a new manager and picking on the team.

The team for that is at the end of the campaign, we need to stick with the team now like the support did on saturday night(it was great to see a real atmosphere back in landsdowne for the 2nd half on saturday). If we win our last 4 games we win the group. So lets back the team until the end of the campaign and leave talk of new managers until then.

Plastic Paddy
07/06/2005, 8:19 AM
The fact that I am calm makes my assessment above all the clearer, Joe. If we don't qualify, then we know exactly where we fell short. The incompetence of Kysos Vassiras and the blatant cheating of Duda Awate are mere sidelines to this, symptoms rather than the underlying cause if you will. Negativity and tactical naivety are the reasons why we lie third in this group as it stands. Who else other than the manager is responsible for this?

:ball: PP

brine3
07/06/2005, 8:48 AM
Israel have played a game more than us, so we're 'virtually' second in the group, ahead of France!

Karlos
07/06/2005, 9:01 AM
But the swiss have played the same amount of us and are two points ahead of us.

Being virtually second now means nothing with four games to go - judge the lads good or bad in 3 or 4 games time.

eirebhoy
07/06/2005, 10:14 AM
But the swiss have played the same amount of us and are two points ahead of us.
They're 2 points ahead of us but they have yet to come to Dublin. Switzerland are no better than Israel. They will not get the enormous amount of luck Israel did on Saturday and I will eat my hat if we don't beat the Swiss. I'd put the difficulty of the Switzerland match on par with Cyprus away. Our only real test is the France match. If we fail to win the other 3 I will accept that we don't deserve to qualify.

Stuttgart88
07/06/2005, 12:04 PM
Martin O'Neill has an excellent track record in closing out winning positions when a big achievement is in sight. Except maybe against Motherwell.

I'm livid with Kerr but at the same time I feel sorry for him. Any slight bit of luck on Saturday would have got us the points.

Look at Martin O'Neill at Ibrox in April. Made a substitution that he had to reverse (Beattie). Totally surrendered the initiative to a beaten Rangers team but got away with it. Hero.

You win some you lose some.

But O'Neill has a habit of overachieving. Kerr seems to have lost his.

Curtains
07/06/2005, 12:36 PM
this is a stupid thread

Chill out mate!! I was in the pub yesterday and somebody mentioned it in a conversation and I thought it was an interesting scenario. The chances of it happening I know are very low and I for one am still confident that we can qualify. I dont want kerr to go but he cant miss the play-offs-Even mccarathy managed to get to those!!!

stojkovic
07/06/2005, 12:50 PM
Israel have played a game more than us, so we're 'virtually' second in the group, ahead of France!
If we finish third on goal difference and dont qualify can we play in the Virtual World Cup Finals.