club a ready-made supply of fans.

Fingal is a massive area and any club
operating out of there could expect to
draw support from places like Swords,
Balbriggan, Malahide, Skerries and
Portmarnock.

The thriving junior soccer scene in
this area also bodes well for Shels.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2/4

Soccer News
MARK O'NEILL-CUMMINS EIRCOM LGE FOCUS
According to reports, a new stadium in
Fingal would have seating for over

That's 2,000+ lower than at Tolka Park.

At present, Shels, and Bohs for that
matter, are never going to fill their
stadiums on a regular basis when the
demographics of the locality are taken
into account.

But, a 7,000 seater, in an area new to
eircom League soccer, is a different
proposition. When Shels integrate fully
into the Fingal area, those 7,000 seats
should be filled on a weekly basis.
Paddy Power Prices & Betting 297

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3/4

Soccer News
Hopefully, when the design is fully
agreed upon, allowance will be made to
allow an increased capacity if needed
for big European ties, for example.

Tolka Park will probably be sold off
for housing but, in some ways, there is
not a great degree of sentiment
attached to the ground by Shels fans.

After all, they've only played there on
a regular basis since 1990.

Paddy Power Prices & Betting 297

4/4

Soccer News
Many people still think of Drumcondra
when they think of Tolka Park - Drums
played there from 1926 until they left
the league in 1972.

Of course, had history taken a
different course, Tolka could already
be long gone.

In 1972, the Kilcoynes (who then bought
and eventually sold Shamrock Rovers)
nearly bought Drumcondra and Tolka
Park.

Had that happened, Drums might still be
a League of Ireland club but in similar
homeless situation to Rovers.

Eh, not exactly a great piece. He seems to just be assuming it is a smart move for Shels because they are doing it. He seems to assume they must be guaranteed big support because they've decided to do this. I'll be intrigued to see what a move to an outer untapped Dublin population centre will do however I don't think it'll change Irish apathy to the eL. Also he seems to ignore the transport difficulties that some Shels fans have been going on about the site.

chippie0001
06/06/2005, 4:09 PM
Have to say that if it was Bohs doing what Shels are I wonld be very unhappy. Not that relocating is a bad things its just where. From all reports on the Shels board, they are moving to a site that is a few miles from both Swords and Donabate. Reading a reds independent interview with a local resident the site is on a country road with only one access point. There are a massive 47 houses in the vicinity.

I think its a bad move for them, so the sooner the better they go is fine by me. It will leave us as the only Northside team with a massice catchment area and there seems little advantage to Shels for quiet a few years, until something may be built out there.

Lastly just cuase someone is in well populated area means nothing. Shels and Bohs are loacted beside Finglas, Cabra, Blanch etc yet get small crowds. Correct me if I am wrong but Swords is hardly that far away from Tolka as is and yet they don't flock there from Swords. Crazy to think just cause you move there everyone will follow you.

Poor Student
06/06/2005, 4:12 PM
Lastly just cuase someone is in well populated area means nothing. Shels and Bohs are loacted beside Finglas, Cabra, Blanch etc yet get small crowds. Correct me if I am wrong but Swords is hardly that far away from Tolka as is and yet they don't flock there from Swords. Crazy to think just cause you move there everyone will follow you.

Pretty much what I was thinking yet the writer of the article seems to think the opposite without putting much thought into it.

Buller
06/06/2005, 4:38 PM
7,000 seats being filled on a weekly basis is a tad optemistic!!! although i suppose they might get good support up there eventually...

goattail
06/06/2005, 5:18 PM
Maybe just 47 houses now but give it a few years and its likely to be covered in vast tracts of crappy overpriced housing like the rest of the county. There was a spate of stadiums built in the suburbs on the continent a few years ago and they have mostly turned out to be a disaster for attendences, people just dont want to travel that far. Land in Dublin is only going to keep getting more expensive if they move out of the city its unlikely that they will ever get back in again and a repeat of the Milltown is always a possability with the scum that is involved with property investment and development in this country. Dublin clubs should perhaps consider ground sharing like the Italians.

Jaime
06/06/2005, 5:53 PM
The problem is that, for the most part, the media assumes that everything Shels do is right, and no-one is going to say "hang on a sec", and actually consider it. No-one is interested in de-railing the "success story" that is Shelbourne. Except other teams that have the cheek to beat them.

Slash/ED
06/06/2005, 6:00 PM
Dublin clubs should perhaps consider ground sharing like the Italians.

I'd be in favour of that, if two teams move into a brand new stadium with one end for each team there should be no problem and in theory you've twice the money to build the stadium than if just one team moved on so it should be twice as good.

Jaime
06/06/2005, 6:05 PM
I'd be in favour of that, if two teams move into a brand new stadium with one end for each team there should be no problem and in theory you've twice the money to build the stadium than if just one team moved on so it should be twice as good.

Most are funded, built, and maintained by local authorities. Not really an option in Dublin. Unfortunately we can't avail of such presents. Well, except Ireland's most famous club, who have a queue of mugs willing to help them and do them favours, only to be spat in the face.

Dodge
06/06/2005, 10:11 PM
It will leave us as the only Northside team
What about Rovers?

Buller
06/06/2005, 10:35 PM
Rovers = Southside