PDA

View Full Version : Waterford Utd 0-3 Longford Town

De Town
05/06/2005, 9:18 PM
Longford dominated for the whole first half. Kirby having a shot blocked down which fell to Keegan who pulled a good save out of the dodgie Waterford keeper. Town finaly got the goal they deserved after about a half an hour when Paisleys long ball just got over Waterford defender Breens head and as the Waterford keeper came tearing out to the edge of his box, Keego took it on his chest around to the left of the keeper and from a tight angle, placed it into the far corner. Good finish. Longford dominated for the rest of the with a few half chances but nothing major.

2nd half started as the first ended with Longford pressure and we got the all important 2nd goal through John Martin. Dessie swung in a cross from the right wing, the Waterford keeper flapped but got his fist to it, it came straight to Martin, and from 35 yards out, he hit it first time and it went straight into the net. Great finish. After this, Waterford started to put a little pressure on with Martin clearing a Willie Bruton shot off the line and Paisley doing well when Bruton had rounded Digger. The killer 3rd goal arrived though with about 10 minutes remaining. The Waterford keeper and his right sided defence wont want to see again! The keeper went flying out to the corner flag to clear a back pass from his defnce only for him to scuff it straight to Gary Cronin. Cronin turned it inside to Andy Myler who side footed home into an empty net despite the best efforts of Waterford defender Breen.

All round, a great win witnessed by about 70-100 Town fans. 2 sowwer notes though, Barrett went off after about 15 minutes with what looked like concussion and Paisley went off in the 2nd half with a thigh/hamstring injury. I think we are a better team without Barry. Dillo and Paiso were fantastic today.

Town team:

Digger 8

Murph 8
Dillo 9
Paiso 9 (Cronn 6)
Prunts 7

Kirby 8
Martin 8
O'Connor 8
Barrett 6 (Dessie 7)

Myler 7 (G. Murphy 7)
Keego 9

Xlex
05/06/2005, 9:26 PM
well, I would have taken two of those goals for the opening game against Waterford.

It was a great win to get. We should have won our game at home but Packie Holden was inspiring. Interesting to see Dan O'Connor get a go in centre of midfield.

Good goals for Myler and Keego to get... Happy days really... I'll take three goals and a clean sheet against anyone...

De Town
05/06/2005, 9:30 PM
Holden was pure muck today. Totally uninspiring :D

MacAonghusa
06/06/2005, 6:09 AM
Great win for da Town, well done lads!!

Longfordian
06/06/2005, 1:27 PM
Great win, wasn't at the game but it's nice to see us gaining a bit of consistency and beating the teams around us. Great to see Myler knocking them in too. Hope Paisley's injury in particular isn't too serious, Barrett we can cope without for a while but Paisley's been a rock all season.

the 12 th man
06/06/2005, 2:48 PM
wasn't there but great to hear the result and the great performance.
i would'nt like to see barrett out.

Ronnie
07/06/2005, 9:19 AM
Super win, 3 wins on the bounce. Hope the fans are back again for Saturday.

Macy
07/06/2005, 11:34 AM
Matthews OUT.

De Town
07/06/2005, 11:37 AM
Matthews OUT.
I agree. He's just not producing results. After all, we are only 5 points off Shels. Thats just not good enough :rolleyes:

Maz
07/06/2005, 7:11 PM
Matthews OUT.

:D Funny havent heard that in a little while!

Great result btw, fair play the corner seems to be turned...(hopefuly)

De Town
07/06/2005, 7:26 PM
:D Funny havent heard that in a little while!

Great result btw, fair play the corner seems to be turned...(hopefuly)
We should continue the form this weekend with the Crystal. They will give us a better game than the real Waherfur :D

Next League game is a tough one though. Derry :eek:

MacAonghusa
07/06/2005, 7:47 PM
Next League game is a tough one though. Derry :eek:

Derry schmerry, no problem!! :)

Maz
07/06/2005, 7:49 PM
with good results, comes confidence so who knows what will happen

De Town
07/06/2005, 7:56 PM
with good results, comes confidence so who knows what will happen
ah yeah I know but I would expect a tougher game than what we have got in the last 3.

Martinho II
07/06/2005, 11:24 PM
brilliant win! well worth the long journey to see the quality of the goals! martins was an absolute gem! waterford were shocking and were a reflection of the manager! nice crowd from de town at the game!

we are back right in it! barrett i believe got severe injury below the eyes and could be out for two months! i belive that he will be having the operation on tuesday!

paiso was taken off injured as well! hopefully it is not too serious!

overallan excellent performance except please dont have dan o connor go for headersin defence as twice he nearly scored an og! :)

MacAonghusa
08/06/2005, 9:53 AM
barrett i believe got severe injury below the eyes and could be out for two months

Could you be more specific, how far below the eyes, the shins? :D

Dillo
09/06/2005, 6:40 PM
Great win over Ratnolds scumbags. Three wins on the trot now. Has Matthews finally sorted out the problems? Lets hope so. Its a shame we couldn't have made a more promising start to the season. If we had picked up a few wins earlier on we'd be pushing for top spot. Shels haven't lived up to many people's expectations. Derry are in second position but they're a very beatable outfit. Town have a much better squad at their disposal.