PDA

View Full Version : Cork unseeded in the UEFA Cup?

Pages : [1] 2

Poor Student
05/06/2005, 9:14 PM
The Fair Play places have been allocated.

"But as a result of the draw on the pitch, the two places went to the representative of Denmark, whose season ends on June 19, and German team Mainz."

From a soccernet article.

According to this site great for all the co-efficient and seeding stuff Cork will be unseeded while Longford will not.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/seeduc2005.html

If this is accurate Cork's possible opponents will include:

FSV Mainz 05 Ger
Viking Stavanger Nor
Fair Play Den
FK Ventspils Lat
Metalurgs Liepaja Lat
MyPa-47 Fin
Allianssi Vantaa Fin
Ekranas Panevezys Lit
Atlantas Klaipeda Lit
IBK Keflavik Ice
IBV Vestmannaeyjar Ice

Whereas Longford's potential opponents are:

FC Vaduz Lie
Tallina VMK Est
Flora Tallinn Est
Portadown Nir
Linfield Belfast Nir
Carmarthen Town Wal
Rhyl FC Wal
CS Pétange Lux
Etzella Ettelbrück Lux
B36 Torshavn Far
NSI Runavik Far

De Town
05/06/2005, 9:29 PM
Whereas Longford's potential opponents are:

FC Vaduz Lie
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Hope we get 1 of the 2 Welsh teams, preferably Rhyl :)

Poor Student
05/06/2005, 9:43 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

From the perspective of a handy away trip it would be good though I'd prefer the Luxembourgers, they really are quite awful. I'm actually surprised the Faroese are ranked worse however I imagine them to be physically strong and a tough place to get to with terrible pitches. For obvious reasons you'd not like to face Linfield or Ports too soon again. They've proved to be tough teams. However as a spectacle and money spinner either tie would be great. Again for obvious reasons you're sick of Vaduz too. They may well be a Swiss top flight team by the draw as well. I wouldn't fancy the Estonians either.

From Cork's perspective I think the Icelanders are the best option. Lithuanians are physically strong and I think Cork are lightweight. I think the Finnish are pretty decent clubs and by the time you move up to the list to the Norweigans and the Danish the opponents are quite tough. Though for all we know the top Danish fair play team is last. I don't know that much about the Latvians so couldn't say much there. Mainz though 11th in the Bundesliga would be a draw you don't want. Not even a big name or draw and they'd be the real short straw to get at that stage being somewhat of an oddity element.

Poor Student
05/06/2005, 9:48 PM
Shels potential opponents are:

Sliema Wanderers Mlt
Pyunik Yerevan Arm
SK Tirana Alb
Levadia Tallinn Est
Glentoran Nir
Llansantffraid Wal
F91 Dudelange Lux
CL Azb
HB Torshavn Far
Kairat Almaty Kaz

They'd want the Welsh or Luxembourgers. Armenia, Albania, Azerbijan and Kazakhstan are particular destinations their fans or the club would not want to draw from a travel perspective. Glens could be tough but again a good money spinner. Malta is still far but a nicer place to travel however Sliema are the highest ranked team. For some reason I am just warey of the Faroes. Perhaps a feeling for Wednesday. :p

Poor Student
05/06/2005, 9:51 PM
The preliminary dates for the 1st qualification round for both competitions is Friday the 24th of June. Just under 3 weeks, 19 days. Here are the preliminary dates for the fixtures:

July 12/13, 2005 1st qualifying round Champions League, 1st leg
July 14, 2005 1st qualifying round UEFA Cup, 1st leg
July 20, 2005 1st qualifying round Champions League, 2nd leg
July 28, 2005 1st qualifying round UEFA Cup, 2nd leg

De Town
05/06/2005, 9:53 PM
Kairat Almaty Kaz
Theres a fella in my year in school from Almaty in Kazakhstan :D

Poor Student
05/06/2005, 9:59 PM
Theres a fella in my year in school from Almaty in Kazakhstan :D

He's a long way from home. ;) A journey I wouldn't like an eL club to have to make.

De Town
05/06/2005, 10:01 PM
He's a long way from home. ;) A journey I wouldn't like an eL club to have to make.
I know, he flies from Dublin to London, then to Some Russian kip and then onto Kazakhstan!

There is also a fella from Osaka, Japan!

Poor Student
05/06/2005, 10:05 PM
I know, he flies from Dublin to London, then to Some Russian kip and then onto Kazakhstan!

There is also a fella from Osaka, Japan!

When I was a primary school kid we thought having someone from Kildare was exotic! :p

Poor Student
05/06/2005, 10:06 PM
By the way I forgot to mention it is a UEFA conspiracry against Cork......"sure like"!

De Town
05/06/2005, 10:07 PM
When I was a primary school kid we thought having someone from Kildare was exotic! :p
:D :D :D

BohsFans
05/06/2005, 10:07 PM
They wouldn't. the teams are regionalised into sub groups at the start of the draw. How else do you think Irish clubs keep getting, east europe in and around Estonia, Croatia, Belarus. Scotland, in and around Switzerland, Belgium and Lux as well!

Poor Student
05/06/2005, 10:09 PM
They wouldn't. the teams are regionalised into sub groups at the start of the draw. How else do you think Irish clubs keep getting, east europe in and around Estonia, Croatia, Belarus. Scotland, in and around Switzerland, Belgium and Lux as well!

They wouldn't what? :confused:

If you mean draw a Kazakh side, Shels could as the CL draw is not regionalised.

Anto McC
05/06/2005, 10:16 PM
Thanks Poor Student for all the info,you are a fountain of Europen cup footballing Knowledge(spelling ?).

Poor Student
05/06/2005, 10:21 PM
Thanks D2. The spelling is correct. I was always a nerd for this co-efficient stuff even before I became an eL fan.

Btw I did actually forget to mention the groups I gave for Cork and Londford is actually the Northern European regional section for the UEFA Cup. Cork are the best unseeded and Longford the worst unseeded in terms of ranking. I can't comfirm this 100% as they are from that site but it is nearly always accurate and updated daily.

Slash/ED
05/06/2005, 10:27 PM
I'll probably get stick for this, but in the interest of wanting to see Irish teams do aswell as possible, Longford seeded and Cork unseeded is the wrong way around for us.

Anto McC
05/06/2005, 10:30 PM
I'll probably get stick for this, but in the interest of wanting to see Irish teams do aswell as possible, Longford seeded and Cork unseeded is the wrong way around for us.

I agree with you Slash/ED

De Town
05/06/2005, 10:35 PM
I understand your point but we aer coming into a bit of form now. If we can keep this up for a while I would fancy us. Im not making excuses for last year, but we just hit the UEFA Cup at the wrong time for us. Nothing was going our way :( A bit like Shels at the moment ;)

Dodge
05/06/2005, 10:49 PM
That Kazakhstani team is the worst draw possible for Shels. Unknown quality, bound to be physically stong, ridiculously expensive to get to, unlikely to draw any nuetrals for the home leg...

Fingers crossed they get them. ;)

Slash/ED
05/06/2005, 10:53 PM
Yeah it's by far the worst draw there, you have no idea how strong they are. TNS is the dream draw for me.

Anto McC
05/06/2005, 10:55 PM
TNS is the dream draw for me.

Definitley,Handy trip and would still have well enough cash for the next rounds away trip should they get there(touch wood)

EnDai
05/06/2005, 11:09 PM
Shels potential opponents are:

Sliema Wanderers Mlt
Pyunik Yerevan Arm
SK Tirana Alb
Levadia Tallinn Est
Glentoran Nir
Llansantffraid Wal
F91 Dudelange Lux
CL Azb
HB Torshavn Far
Kairat Almaty Kaz

At the top of that list... Dinamo Minsk :eek: They'd be a team we do not want to get (They're nearly bottom of their league atm, but will turn that around I'd imagine!).

TNS would be the ultimate dream draw! Also, isn't that where Jimmy Aggrey came from? Or did he go TNS -> Elsewhere -> Bohs? But in terms of easily accessiable, and relatively cheap, TNS would be perfect, as well as being good for co-eff's, because we SHOULD win both legs of that.

thecorner
06/06/2005, 8:49 AM
says on that page that city are seeded

Seeded teams coef. Unseeded teams coef.
------------------------ --- ------- ------------------------ --- -------
Viking Stavanger Nor 12.666 FC Vaduz Lie 1.320
FP Den 6.676 - 8.676 Tallina VMK Est 0.824
FK Ventspils Lat 3.199 Flora Tallinn Est 0.824
Metalurgs Liepaja Lat 2.199 Portadown Nir 0.714
MyPa-47 Fin 2.158 Linfield Belfast Nir 0.714
Allianssi Vantaa Fin 2.158 Carmarthen Town Wal 0.604
Ekranas Panevezys Lit 1.759 Rhyl FC Wal 0.604
Atlantas Klaipeda Lit 1.759 CS Pétange Lux 0.549
IBK Keflavik Isl 1.594 Etzella Ettelbrück Lux 0.549
IBV Vestmannaeyjar Isl 1.594 B36 Torshavn Far 0.329
Longford Town Irl 1.374 NSI Runavik Far 0.329
Cork City Irl 1.374 Sant Julià And 0.000

:confused: :confused:

Poor Student
06/06/2005, 10:14 AM
It didn't when I posted and there was no Andorran team in the unseeded. It seems they updated it again. Now it looks like Cork are seeded.

Poor Student
06/06/2005, 10:16 AM
The page says:
Last update: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 06:40:15 UTC

They're constantly updating. That's great news for Irish football if this is the case.

De Town
06/06/2005, 10:17 AM
It didn't when I posted and there was no Andorran team in the unseeded. It seems they updated it again. Now it looks like Cork are seeded.
That Andorran team look beatable :cool:

Poor Student
06/06/2005, 11:15 AM
That Andorran team look beatable :cool:

I recall Dundee United beating an Andorran team called CE Principat a little under 10 years ago 11-0 on agg. :D

JC_GUFC
06/06/2005, 1:39 PM
Possibly a bit premature but the 2nd round 'potential' opponents for Cork/Longford if they qualify would be....

Genk (Belgium)
Halmstads (Sweden)
Viking Stavanger (Norway)
Hibernian (Scotland)
Dundee United (Scotland)
Germinal Beerschot (Belgium)
Djurgardens (Sweden)
Brann Bergen (Norway)
and 3 Danish teams.

Of these I guess the best would be Germinal Beerschot (Mid-table Belgium) or Dundee United.

BohsFans
06/06/2005, 2:36 PM
They wouldn't what? :confused:

If you mean draw a Kazakh side, Shels could as the CL draw is not regionalised.

FFS how would you know? UCD have never been in the CL, a brief regional draw is done before the actual draw, therefore $h€l$ cannot get the team from Kazakh...

BohsFans
06/06/2005, 2:43 PM
At the top of that list... Dinamo Minsk :eek: They'd be a team we do not want to get (They're nearly bottom of their league atm, but will turn that around I'd imagine!).

TNS would be the ultimate dream draw! Also, isn't that where Jimmy Aggrey came from? Or did he go TNS -> Elsewhere -> Bohs? But in terms of easily accessiable, and relatively cheap, TNS would be perfect, as well as being good for co-eff's, because we SHOULD win both legs of that.

No way! Minsk is the ultimate fans trip. Getting in and out of the country is a pain in the hole, but 15cent a pint, cheap strong vodka, great looking women and sun. We brought 40 with us to Belarus and would defo recommend it to anyone. :) ;)
oh yeah and we won 3-1 on agg

Poor Student
06/06/2005, 3:08 PM
FFS how would you know? UCD have never been in the CL, a brief regional draw is done before the actual draw, therefore $h€l$ cannot get the team from Kazakh...

What's with the aggro? Look if you know that they regionalise the 20 teams before the draw then find me the evidence. I don't see it written anywhere. Last year in the qualifiers Jeunesse d'Esch of Luxembourg played Sheriff Tiraspol of Moldova. Does that look regionalised to you? Or Georgia Tbilisi in the South East of Europe what is even considered Asia playing HB Torshavn of the Faroes in the North West of Europe. Yes, very regional. :rolleyes:

blutil
06/06/2005, 3:14 PM
i played against TNS (llansanfraid or however you spell it) i think it was u15, even have one of those pendant things from them, wonder if any of em are playin for the first team now, we won that game (about 7 years ago) so think it would be a good draw alrite :D

EnDai
06/06/2005, 4:07 PM
No way! Minsk is the ultimate fans trip. Getting in and out of the country is a pain in the hole, but 15cent a pint, cheap strong vodka, great looking women and sun. We brought 40 with us to Belarus and would defo recommend it to anyone. :) ;)
oh yeah and we won 3-1 on agg

I was thinking more of the football, if I get to any of the trips this year I think the gf will be insisting on going too (hates football, loves cheap vodka! :D). Minsk aren't playing well atm, but are a good side. :)

BohsFans
06/06/2005, 6:01 PM
What's with the aggro? Look if you know that they regionalise the 20 teams before the draw then find me the evidence. I don't see it written anywhere. Last year in the qualifiers Jeunesse d'Esch of Luxembourg played Sheriff Tiraspol of Moldova. Does that look regionalised to you? Or Georgia Tbilisi in the South East of Europe what is even considered Asia playing HB Torshavn of the Faroes in the North West of Europe. Yes, very regional. :rolleyes:

It is defo done an hour or two before the draw!
Go onto the Aberdeen official and check back through the news to when we played them, the evidence is there, I just couldn't be bothered to look it up to prove a point to some UCD fan!

BohsFans
06/06/2005, 6:15 PM
+

http://www.bohemians.ie/news0604.htm

:)

bigmac
06/06/2005, 7:14 PM
isn't that the UEFA cup though? that's regionalised alright but thought the CL was open draw.

pete
06/06/2005, 7:24 PM
With City and Longford seeded expectations would that both would get through to next round. Will want avoid NI teams as too familiar now although would have serious advantage playing in July.

Welsh probably best draw as would allow easy travel for fans.

Poor Student
06/06/2005, 7:44 PM
It is defo done an hour or two before the draw!
Go onto the Aberdeen official and check back through the news to when we played them, the evidence is there, I just couldn't be bothered to look it up to prove a point to some UCD fan!

And what would Aberdeen know about the CL? Look, the CL preliminary draw is not regionalised but the UEFA is. I've already said that. If the CL draw was in any way regionalised then a Faroese team would not draw an Armenian.

BohsFans
07/06/2005, 1:26 AM
And what would Aberdeen know about the CL? Look, the CL preliminary draw is not regionalised but the UEFA is. I've already said that. If the CL draw was in any way regionalised then a Faroese team would not draw an Armenian.

Yeah they've only won it!
I picked the uefa cup as an example, CL is the same - FACT!

UCD fans thinkin they know something about European competition :rolleyes:

Macy
07/06/2005, 9:03 AM
Aye, I hear the Longford Intercity Crew are already planning on taking the Sun Centre.... :eek: :D

higgins
07/06/2005, 9:24 PM

That is wrong - FACT!

The Champions League 1st round is an open draw adn the UEFA Cup is split into 3 sections.

Shels can draw 1 of any of the unseeded teams. Cork and Longford can draw anyone in the Northern Section.

TonyD
07/06/2005, 9:25 PM

I may be reading this wrong, but are you claiming Aberdeen have won the Champions League ? I'd check again if I were you. (And maybe leave off the UCD supporters until you've got your own facts straight :D )

Martinho II
07/06/2005, 11:37 PM
tbh if this is true i am a bit flabbergasted that we would be seeded and cork city would not. how could this be? doesnt make sense to me! :confused:

Aberdonian Stu
08/06/2005, 10:15 AM

Well obviously you don't!

The Dons have never won the CL, the Gothenberg greats won the Cup Winners Cup in 1983 beating Real Madrid 2-1 and went on to win the European Super Cup.

As Poor Student has repeatedly told you the UEFA Cup (the competition which you played Aberdeen in, which incidentally they qualified for after losing the Scottish Cup final to Rangers by quite a considerable scoreline of 5-0 as they had to play an outfield player in goals for most of the game as Leighton got injured early) is regionalised and the Champions League isn't.

Poor Student
08/06/2005, 1:56 PM

Now you're just embarrassing yourself. Two mistakes there pointed out above. :o Cheers for saving me repeating again Stu.

tiktok
08/06/2005, 2:02 PM
tbh if this is true i am a bit flabbergasted that we would be seeded and cork city would not. how could this be? doesnt make sense to me! :confused:

we have the same coefficient but you won something, we didn't.
as cup winners you're first in the pecking order.

garykelly
08/06/2005, 2:46 PM
we have the same coefficient but you won something, we didn't.
as cup winners you're first in the pecking order.

is it just not the country co-efficient. corks and longford have same cos same country. co-efficients are linked to nations and not to clubs afaik

hopefully all teams playing in europe will do well and drive the co-efficient up further.

ger121
08/06/2005, 2:58 PM
I wouldn't take Bert's rankings as official last year he had Bohs and Longford unseeded for the UEFA cup but as it turned out both sides were seeded. I would be more inclined to wait until UEFA release there own seedings as things have a habit of changing before the draws take place.

BohsFans
09/06/2005, 7:33 PM
That is wrong - FACT!

The Champions League 1st round is an open draw adn the UEFA Cup is split into 3 sections.

Shels can draw 1 of any of the unseeded teams. Cork and Longford can draw anyone in the Northern Section.

I'm afraid your wrong Higgins - FACT!

Slash/ED
09/06/2005, 7:35 PM
I'm afraid your wrong Higgins - FACT!

Well, that's me convinced.