PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Finland - Sunday, September 6th - 2020 - UEFA Nations League

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

CraftyToePoke
04/09/2020, 3:58 PM
Off we go, game two of the SK years.

A narrow win, decent possession stats and a little more fluidity in the attacking third becoming apparent would do me grand. Clean sheet would be nice as part of that or indeed failing that.

pineapple stu
04/09/2020, 4:13 PM
A narrow win would be nice, but Finland are a step up from Bulgaria at the moment. Hopefully Kenny will have had more time to get ideas across, but this match could put the Bulgaria result into some context. Think Finland only conceded late on against Wales last night, and the Leverkusen keeper won't fear a trio of teenagers.

If we can create a few more chances than last night, I'll be broadly happy I think

Stuttgart88
04/09/2020, 4:18 PM
Anyone see the open goal Finland missed yesterday?

tetsujin1979
04/09/2020, 4:21 PM
yeah, was a loose ball on the far post completely missed by one of their defenders

Bielsa´s irish
04/09/2020, 4:28 PM
i just think we need mcclean in the team and coleman.

------------------------------randolph----------------------------------

coleman-----------duffy---------------egan--------------------stevens

-------doherty--------------mccarthy---------------arter

connolly------------------------long--------------------mcclean

Bielsa´s irish
04/09/2020, 4:29 PM
hendrick and hourihane cant play together

seanfhear
04/09/2020, 6:46 PM
yeah, was a loose ball on the far post completely missed by one of their defenders
An attempted one two with a post. Easy enough to miss it when you add in that degree of difficulty !

geysir
04/09/2020, 8:20 PM
I watched Finland at home v Italy in the qualifiers, they lined up with a 541, Pukki up front.
What I found a bit strange was that they actually kept a straight chalk line of 5 right across the back, when having to defend something.

Olé Olé
04/09/2020, 9:15 PM
Randolph
Coleman Egan Duffy Stevens
Molumby McCarthy Hendrick
Brady Didsy Connolly

That would be my team but it doesn't fix our conundrum from the other night in terms of a lock picking midfielder.

I also would not be writing off Doherty. There's a case for McClean too.

I think the team I set about is right but I think Molumby won't start. I reckon Brady will come in for Hourihane, McClean for O'Dowda, McGoldrick for Idah and Coleman for Doherty from the last night.

pineapple stu
04/09/2020, 9:22 PM
I think it's asking a lot to throw Molumby in for his debut from the start here.

Diggs246
04/09/2020, 9:55 PM
Randolph
Coleman Egan Duffy Stevens
Molumby McCarthy Hendrick
Brady Didsy Connolly

That would be my team but it doesn't fix our conundrum from the other night in terms of a lock picking midfielder.

I also would not be writing off Doherty. There's a case for McClean too.

I think the team I set about is right but I think Molumby won't start. I reckon Brady will come in for Hourihane, McClean for O'Dowda, McGoldrick for Idah and Coleman for Doherty from the last night.

Great team. It can switch to a 451 if needs be

Olé Olé
04/09/2020, 10:15 PM
I think it's asking a lot to throw Molumby in for his debut from the start here.

Could have said the same for Idah. Finland don't have any world beaters midfield and it's not a qualifier.

pineapple stu
04/09/2020, 10:32 PM
True I guess.

I don't know if we want to get relegated here as it is a sort of qualifier.

We do need players coming through, but I think a win or two is also important. We've had feck all of them in the past while. Arguably Wales away is our only half-decent win of the past four years

CraftyToePoke
04/09/2020, 10:38 PM
Easier to introduce these lads to a team running on a bit of confidence with a result or three achieved if possible rather than expecting them to be the solution to a generation old puzzle. I expect them to see NL game time but phased, particularly after Idah last night, he will have learned but he'll also know he has a lot still to learn too.

Olé Olé
04/09/2020, 10:54 PM
The funny thing about Idah is that I don't think clubs were queueing up for him when he was 16. He's 19 now and he's obviously developed so much but he has such an amount of development to do. The beauty of it is that he didn't look out of his depth. He just looked like a 19 year old making his international debut and doing quite well, all things considered. It is so obvious that he could be a really, really top quality number 9 within a few years if he maintains this trajectory. And the evidence shows that he has maintained an upward trajectory and has the ability to maintain that trajectory. There were so many instances last night when he showed awareness and touch. We are all looking forward to Didsy replacing him. Didsy is 13 years older.

seanfhear
04/09/2020, 11:01 PM
The funny thing about Idah is that I don't think clubs were queueing up for him when he was 16. He's 19 now and he's obviously developed so much but he has such an amount of development to do. The beauty of it is that he didn't look out of his depth. He just looked like a 19 year old making his international debut and doing quite well, all things considered. It is so obvious that he could be a really, really top quality number 9 within a few years if he maintains this trajectory. And the evidence shows that he has maintained an upward trajectory and has the ability to maintain that trajectory. There were so many instances last night when he showed awareness and touch. We are all looking forward to Didsy replacing him. Didsy is 13 years older.Idah looked a lot better option than Hogan or Collins to name just two of the top of my head.

Razors left peg
05/09/2020, 2:03 AM
Idah looked a lot better option than Hogan or Collins to name just two of the top of my head.
I would start Idah again to be honest. His ceiling is much higher than McGoldrick who just a decent journeyman. Idah could be anything and we should use these games to develop him

seanfhear
05/09/2020, 2:57 AM
I would start Idah again to be honest. His ceiling is much higher than McGoldrick who just a decent journeyman. Idah could be anything and we should use these games to develop him
Certainly he has potential and physical potential as well and mobile physicality at that.

Bielsa´s irish
05/09/2020, 3:56 AM
------------------------------------randolph-----------------------------------------

coleman---------------------duffy----------------egan---------stevens (dont touch what is not broken).

----------------------------------browne ----------------------molumby
------------------------------------------james McCarthy ---------------------------------------

connolly-------------------------------long-------------------------------------mcclean

we need little bit of biting in midfield if we play 4-3-3

Olé Olé
05/09/2020, 10:49 AM
I see the match is at 5pm on Monday. Whilst I would much rather be clocking off work early to get a couple of jars en route to the Aviva, the commute from the swivel chair to the couch at home will be a much more pleasant one than the normal rush home for this.

pineapple stu
05/09/2020, 10:56 AM
It's on Sunday, not Monday

Olé Olé
05/09/2020, 11:00 AM
It's on Sunday, not Monday
Oh, cheers. Better again. I had thought Monday was the 6th.

DeLorean
05/09/2020, 11:16 AM
Idah looked a lot better option than Hogan or Collins to name just two of the top of my head.

That's a really good point. Not meaning to sound too harsh, but Collins looked out of his depth to an embarrassing degree in Georgia. I think because Idah has so little senior football played, it was easy for people to say he's not ready on the back of a pretty tough night for him, particularly the second half. But he did well overall, set up two of arguably our three best chances for a start. I'd be happy to see him get the nod again tomorrow.

DeLorean
05/09/2020, 11:19 AM

Jeez PS, whatever about Idah, I feel you're taking conservatism to a new level here. He's 21 with a really good season at a decent level behind him. If he has to wait for our more senior players to put a couple of wins on the board, he could be waiting a while. I really don't think we're any less likely to get a result with him in the side.

Olé Olé
05/09/2020, 11:19 AM
Dan McDonnell has predicted an unchanged side for the "probable line-up" in the Indo. I'm looking at the graphic and wondering if someone has re-printed the team the other night in error. I just can't see Coleman being left out- I think the intention was surely for a game each for them. Similarly, I can't see O'Dowda keeping his place.

They are the two most obvious ones for me. Didsy for Idah is the third most likely. And I would like to see Hourihane dropped for someone who will be a little more involved in the game.

Olé Olé
05/09/2020, 11:21 AM
Jeez PS, whatever about Idah, I feel you're taking conservatism to a new level here. He's 21 with a really good season at a decent level behind him. If he has to wait for our more senior players to put a couple of wins on the board, he could be waiting a while. I really don't think we're any less likely to get a result with him in the side to, say, Hourihane.

You'd want to be careful. He could get gobbled up by Glen Kamara of Glasgow Rangers and Tim Sparv of AEL...

On that, a terrible result of there being no fans in the Aviva for the first match tomorrow is that there will be nobody on hand to boo Kamara. I hope my neighbours don't get too worried hearing my baritone, bellowing boos.

DeLorean
05/09/2020, 11:25 AM
They'd probably have booed the wrong player anyway.

Stuttgart88
05/09/2020, 12:18 PM
I think Molumby is a confident and physically capable lad. I'd have no hesitation starting him. I positively want him to start. His position is a priority for us and if he offers an upgrade we need to see it now.

tetsujin1979
05/09/2020, 12:37 PM
These two games are essentially warm ups for the play off in October. It's going to be hard to see a player that doesn't feature in either starting against Slovakia in a few weeks

Olé Olé
05/09/2020, 1:01 PM
They'd probably have booed the wrong player anyway.

Well that's another point. Kamara is black as he is from a Sierra Leonean background. It could have been a very difficult situation. Imagine if he was getting forewarned -"Glen, there's a chance that at least a small group of Irish fans are going to boo you." "Because I'm black?" "No, because you played for Rangers." *Looks of puzzlement*

Olé Olé
05/09/2020, 1:05 PM
I think Molumby is a confident and physically capable lad. I'd have no hesitation starting him. I positively want him to start. His position is a priority for us and if he offers an upgrade we need to see it now.

Who would you start him for? My issue is the combination of the three. McCarthy is a favourite of Kenny and he is surely going to persist with him. Drop Hourihane and you have McCarthy, Molumby and Hendrick. But that doesn't leave room for a 10 type.

The more I think about it, I would, myself, drop McCarthy with the sole intention of seeing what Molumby can do tomorrow. Molumby, Hendrick and Brady would be a nicely balanced midfield. Bite, dynamism and guile provided respectively.

geysir
05/09/2020, 2:53 PM
Is it Idah or McGoldrick? (sorry couldn't resist)
If Kenny wants to go all out with 3 forwards, can it not be a front 3 of Connolly Idah and McGoldrick
and fit them in a 4321, with Idah the fairy angel at the top, Connolly and McGoldrick in support

Olé Olé
05/09/2020, 3:17 PM
Kenny announced Didsy isnt match fit so can't start tomorrow. Assume Idah will get the nod again.

seanfhear
05/09/2020, 3:24 PM
No Bad thing if he does.

Kenny announced Didsy isnt match fit so can't start tomorrow. Assume Idah will get the nod again.

John83
05/09/2020, 3:35 PM
Pity: it'd be useful to see how he does in that formation before the playoff. Not the end of the world to give Idah a second roll of the dice, but we might see Long instead.

CraftyToePoke
05/09/2020, 3:48 PM
Might we see Long if Molumby is to play so as not to have too many new lads out there together ?

Razors left peg
05/09/2020, 8:55 PM
Am I the only one who finds calling a grown man Didzy very annoying? Nicknames amongst mates are ok but does he go through life calling himself that? Had a 45 year old introduce himself as Beanie to me recently, at what age do you out grow that?

Old man rant over

DeLorean
05/09/2020, 8:59 PM
Think Randy finds it annoying too.

Razors left peg
05/09/2020, 9:01 PM
Think Randy finds it annoying too.

At least thats just short for his name... wtf is Didzy

Eirambler
05/09/2020, 9:10 PM
Am I the only one who finds calling a grown man Didzy very annoying? Nicknames amongst mates are ok but does he go through life calling himself that? Had a 45 year old introduce himself as Beanie to me recently, at what age do you out grow that?

Old man rant over

I play football with lads who are in their 40s and 50s now and still go by their childhood nicknames, including a couple of ex pros, so I can kind of understand it. Some of them I don't even know their real names and I've been playing with them for years!

Razors left peg
05/09/2020, 9:20 PM
I play football with lads who are in their 40s and 50s now and still go by their childhood nicknames, including a couple of ex pros, so I can kind of understand it. Some of them I don't even know their real names and I've been playing with them for years!

Thats amongst mates so I'd say say fair enough. If they get introduced to some one new away from football do they give their nickname?

Eirambler
05/09/2020, 9:26 PM
Outside of football I wouldn't think so, no. But then, I wouldn't think David McGoldrick gets called Didzy outside of football either, or does he?!

DeLorean
05/09/2020, 9:34 PM
It's time for your nap, Razor.:D

geysir
05/09/2020, 11:03 PM
Who is the real Razor? not Razor Ruddock?

Razors left peg
05/09/2020, 11:43 PM
It's time for your nap, Razor.:D
Of all the things in the world to get annoyed about its minor, but I also see James McCarthy is now being referred to as Jimbo by certain people on here..... I'll go yell at the TV for a while

elatedscum
06/09/2020, 4:52 AM
There was a lad I knew and played with from about 16 to 22. At some point before I knew him, he became known as Panda, I believe cause he had jet black hair, super white skin, black eyes and he slept 16 hours a day or thereabouts.

Genuinely I’d say less than 10% of the people who knew him, knew his real name was Mark...

Stuttgart88
06/09/2020, 2:40 PM
Who would you start him for? My issue is the combination of the three. McCarthy is a favourite of Kenny and he is surely going to persist with him. Drop Hourihane and you have McCarthy, Molumby and Hendrick. But that doesn't leave room for a 10 type.

The more I think about it, I would, myself, drop McCarthy with the sole intention of seeing what Molumby can do tomorrow. Molumby, Hendrick and Brady would be a nicely balanced midfield. Bite, dynamism and guile provided respectively.
Sorry, saw this late. I’d pick him over McCarthy as I think he brings different attributes to a similar part of the pitch. Cullen would be my favourite for the neat and tidy deep role, but Molumby can bring some energy and drive to that central position. I asked the question last week if Molumby can play the tight right role as I think he could be a like for like replacement for Hendrick too.

centre mid
06/09/2020, 3:19 PM
Has the team been announced yet?

Stuttgart88
06/09/2020, 3:43 PM
All new midfield: Molumby/Arter/Brady. Everything else as per Sofia. Interesting.

Olé Olé
06/09/2020, 3:47 PM
All new midfield: Molumby/Arter/Brady. Everything else as per Sofia. Interesting.

Very interesting. I didn't expect that. I would have gladly seen Hendrick maintained in there, maybe for Arter but Arter deserves a go.