PDA

View Full Version : An appeal over O'Brien?

Plastic Paddy
05/06/2005, 1:22 PM
This from the BBC's website (although if it was England, would they say "Monarchy to launch appeal"? :rolleyes: ) but the tenor of the article is somewhat different to the headline. Confused? I know I am... :confused:

:ball: PP

---

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4611339.stm

The Republic of Ireland have been told they can appeal against Andy O'Brien's red card before Wednesday's World Cup game with the Faroe Islands.
O'Brien was sent off in Saturday's draw against Israel after reacting to a punch from Israel keeper Dudu Awat.

Republic manager Brian Kerr said there would be an appeal but did not know if it could be done in time.

But Fifa spokesman Andreas Herren said: "Within a short space of time then the matter can be considered and reviewed.

He added: "The important thing is all the reports arrive in time from the match commissioner, the referee and any other delegates at the game.

"We have staff on call over the weekend when there are games that follow in midweek.

"They would then have to see if there is evidence that shows whether a disciplinary event or incident happened or not.

"If there are grounds, then it is up to the disciplinary department to make a decision."

jimbob117
05/06/2005, 1:26 PM
They should appeal and he should be playing against the faroes. Disgraceful decision. And if they dont appeal, it leaves us short for the faroes game, with a possible defense of carr o shea cunningham and harte(unless finnan is fit)

jimbob117
06/06/2005, 4:53 PM
I cant believe its not overturned. How can they not change their mind. how many games is he out for?

Stuttgart88
06/06/2005, 8:49 PM
Apparently video evidence isn't allowable.

brine3
06/06/2005, 9:32 PM
That's right, that's also why Laurent Blanc doesn't have World Cup Winner's medal.