PDA

View Full Version : Ocean FM

Redzer
04/06/2005, 4:29 PM
I dont know how many caught the sports programme that was on today from 11 to 12. but, it was essential listening for any fan of football in Sligo and surrounds.
Michael Toolan, Brendan Byrnne and Sean Conner was interviewed for the hour about all aspects of Sligo Rovers. It was a real shame it was not advertised better, and it should have been announced at the game last night. I dont know if its repeated.
Sean spoke about his plans and ambitions for the club. This man has ambition.
M.T. and B.B. spoke about the financial running of the club. Toolan elaborated on his Weekender statment about getting more fans in to the games. It really is essential if we are to progress, more money must be raised. Sean wants to sign the Paul Browne, but it will cost money.He was not happy about it getting to the press. At the moment the wages per week is approx. 7000. Gate receipts are approx. 5000. The lotto, 400 club and sponsorship makes up the shortfall. It is now clearer from what Toolan said, that if we are to get promotion, we must get in bigger crowds. get more people involved in fundraising( lotto sellers, 400 club, etc).
It really is a breath of fresh air for the Chairman to tell the public openly about the situation. Credit where credit is due. Well done.
I wonder could it be repeated on the website? Can you comment Pauric?

Petmuller
04/06/2005, 5:09 PM
Yea I too listened to the sports show and I'm not surprised in what I heard. I think supporters sometimes loose the run of themselves and don't think hard enough about the financial end of things when it comes to running a club the size of rovers. As MT rightly stated for every home game we have an away game and the wages naturally have to be found for that week as well. I think the club are moving in the right direction and are expecting to get promoted this year which is real positive thinking on their behalf. I feel we certainly have the squad which is quite capable to take us up, but as both SC and MT said it's not just a matter of us getting up there we have to be able to compete. In order for us to be able to do this we'll have to bring in better quality players. Of course this will then mean a bigger wage bill and the whole thing snowballs. We all know supporters that no longer go to games and say they will but still don't. MT suggests we bring along a friend to our future games and this will double the crowd and also help add to the atmosphere. I think we all are at one with him on this.
Over all as redzer says it was a very good exercise putting their thoughts out across the airwaves and well done has to be expressed to the three lads and indeed Ocean FM for giving them the oportunity. Let's hope the program will be repeated for those that didn't hear it and as redzer says it should have been better advertised.

Da Real Rover
04/06/2005, 11:19 PM
How is the gates only 5000. The average gates must be around 1300-1400, now if half of those are adults and the rest are kids id put the gates at around 11000. Just a rough estimate but the 5000 does not sound right.
Did Toolan mention anything on the Shed.

monutdfc
05/06/2005, 10:34 AM
eh, you play at home every fortnight. 11k divided by 2 = 5500 - your estimate is pretty accurate

Paraic
05/06/2005, 11:09 AM
IIt really is a breath of fresh air for the Chairman to tell the public openly about the situation. Credit where credit is due. Well done.
I wonder could it be repeated on the website? Can you comment Pauric?

redzer

I don't think so - the file of the programme would be massive and if if it was availabe I don't have the editing facilities.

btw - I hope to have Sean back on line, week after next.

paraic

Rory H
05/06/2005, 11:36 AM
redzer

I don't think so - the file of the programme would be massive and if if it was availabe I don't have the editing facilities.

paraic

good good...just b4 the transfer window...i like it,,,,cheers paraic

1 9 2 8
05/06/2005, 11:46 AM

Padraic can put up a link to download so I'll be able to use this service I keep missing it. I think my computer has a firewall or something which prevents me using it. I don't have broadband so it will probably take ages :rolleyes:
Thanks

Petmuller
05/06/2005, 1:32 PM
How is the gates only 5000. The average gates must be around 1300-1400, now if half of those are adults and the rest are kids id put the gates at around 11000. Just a rough estimate but the 5000 does not sound right.
Did Toolan mention anything on the Shed.

I think you must be forgetting season ticket holders of which there are about 300. The obviously add to the attendance but have their money paid up front at the start of the season.