PDA

View Full Version : Coldplay Record

Colie
03/06/2005, 4:51 PM
Just goddit. Class. 3 amazing records in a row. Not easy to do. Can't wait for that gig.

jofyisgod
03/06/2005, 5:29 PM
I recieved an advance copy too last week. It's unreal.

It sounds like U2 in their prime in the late 80s, and blows Oasis' new record out of the water. Songs like' Fix You' and 'What If' are laden with church-like music, building to epic sections of a song. The actual song 'X&Y' is Beatles-esque with the strings at the end.

Martin's voice is better than ever, and lyrically, it says alot about how he views his own marriage, and life in general, at the moment. For the first time as well, Coldplay are an actual band-not just Chris Martin and his piano.

There's a secret gig being shown on MTV on Sunday at 9, and the album 'X&Y' is out on general release from Monday 9th June.

hamish
03/06/2005, 9:19 PM
Fond of Coldplay but doesn't new single sound a little U2 ish?
No crime in that.
In fact, there was a U2 video on one of the music channels last night and the background etc (eg lights) looked amazingly just like the Coldplay video. A coincidence I suppose.

Great live band Coldplay.

They're on Johnathon Woss on BBC 1 tonight.

jofyisgod
04/06/2005, 5:35 PM
They have drawn inspiration from U2's earlier work, and also from the Beatles and Radiohead most notably for this album. That crazy frog thing Chris Martin did was very good :D

Gareth
04/06/2005, 11:37 PM
Never really warmed to Coldplay. I enjoyed some of their tunes but never wanted to buy an album. Oasis just completely uninterest me. The single was weak in my opinion, but I have not heard the entire album so I can't judge. In fairness to Coldplay three albums that please a majority is a hard thing to pull off. Esp in a row. I didn't find them that great to watch live when at Witnness. Got bored and headed off to a different stage.

Whats your favorite Coldplay song? :)

hamish
05/06/2005, 12:38 AM
I'm feeling a little pi$$ed at the minute so I'll go for "In my place" - suits the mood. :o :(

hamish
05/06/2005, 1:27 AM
They have drawn inspiration from U2's earlier work, and also from the Beatles and Radiohead most notably for this album. That crazy frog thing Chris Martin did was very good :D

I think there's a little Procul Harum in there too - Martin's voice sometimes sound like that group's vocalist - Gary somethingorother - and the organ sound and sort of melancholic ballads also remind me of PH.
:confused:

I think PH's singer/keyboard is Gary Broker.

jofyisgod
05/06/2005, 9:08 AM
Whats your favorite Coldplay song? :)

God Put a Smile Upon your Face, or off X&Y, What If

gustavo
06/06/2005, 12:05 AM
favrourite coldplay song?

definetly politik
great opening song for an album - good lyrics - great drrums - excellent outro

Wolfhound
06/06/2005, 11:40 AM
Favourite song - has to be Yellow.
Cant wait for X&Y, hope to get it today.
Any one going to see them in Marlay Park? I am, got my tickets on friday. :) Looking forward yo seeing Interpol aswell, they're fantastic!

jofyisgod
06/06/2005, 1:25 PM
Got another copy this morning. It's amazing. I've listened to it 3 times now, just gets better and better. The second song (X2) is unreal, as is Talk. Sounds class with the Kraftwerk riff. What a band...

Rovers1
06/06/2005, 10:10 PM
excellent album from an excellent band,got it last week,cant wait till Marley Park!!!! (and Croker!!) :D

Wolfhound
07/06/2005, 11:44 AM
Got X&Y yesterday, it's unbelievable! Have been playing it on repeat for yhe last 4 hours - It's gonna be the cause of me doing crap in my leaving tomorrow!

Pauro 76
07/06/2005, 6:58 PM
favourite Coldplay songs? The Scientist, Politik, Shiver and Clocks... looking forward to hearing the new album, Talk is an instant classic even after one listen...

SaucyJack
07/06/2005, 8:14 PM
Jon Pareles of the NY Times pretty much sums up my feelings (http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0606coldplay06-ON.html)

Frank Blue
08/06/2005, 7:44 AM
A classic? A great album?
A lot of folks on a music rating site happen to disagree

http://rateyourmusic.com/view_album_details/album_id_is_283841

3.5/5 stars is fairly average.

I am waiting for a CDRcopy before deciding whether to buy the original or not.

tetsujin1979
08/06/2005, 9:38 AM
I have the album, it's pretty much what you'd expect from Coldplay, guitars, pianos, drums, the problem with it is that there's nothing particularly wrong with it, Chris Martin does seem to follow the same formula (as does Dido IMO) and it works and it sells, I just keep waiting for them to do something remotely controversial musically, something to start a conversation on, not the same old thing. Maybe it's just me.

Frank Blue
08/06/2005, 9:42 AM
I have the album, it's pretty much what you'd expect from Coldplay, guitars, pianos, drums, the problem with it is that there's nothing particularly wrong with it, Chris Martin does seem to follow the same formula (as does Dido IMO) and it works and it sells, I just keep waiting for them to do something remotely controversial musically, something to start a conversation on, not the same old thing. Maybe it's just me.

how can you mention Dido in the same breath when talking about Coldplay?!! :eek:

She's awful. :mad:

Roo69
08/06/2005, 9:46 AM

Nah i would have to agree with ya, its sounds way to like there previous 2 albums for my liking, but in saying that i still like it - a good album, not a great album, 3 outstanding tracks - the rest are average.

For me, they are trying to sound more and more like U2 but just are'nt up to it, Martin was saying in an interview that the lead Guitarest (cant remember his name) was just as good as the edge ! :D seriously thou, he was having a laugh right ?

I would'nt even put Coldplay in the same class as Radiohead at the moment, it's only 3 albums at the end of the day which all sound very similar.

Verdict - 6.5/10

Frank Blue
08/06/2005, 9:50 AM
Nah i would have to agree with ya, its sounds way to like there previous 2 albums for my liking, but in saying that i still like it - a good album, not a great album, 3 outstanding tracks - the rest are average.

For me, they are trying to sound more and more like U2 but just are'nt up to it, Martin was saying in an interview that the lead Guitarest (cant remember his name) was just as good as the edge ! :D seriously thou, he was having a laugh right ?

I would'nt even put Coldplay in the same class as Radiohead at the moment, it's only 3 albums at the end of the day which all sound very similar.

Verdict - 6.5/10

Well be honest, the Edge has had at least 15 years head start. Check out most bands, and their playing gets better over time, as they beocme more serious in their music (musos??). Unfortunately, with a lot of bands, becoming better does not equate in better music, as the 'edge' is lost in their music. Take U2 for example.........

tetsujin1979
08/06/2005, 9:50 AM
how can you mention Dido in the same breath when talking about Coldplay?!! :eek:

She's awful. :mad:

Just making the point that they both (Coldplay and Dido) seem to follow the same formula on every track and album. Other than that they've very little in common, although I do listen to both occasionally.

fosterdollar
08/06/2005, 9:54 AM

They're both mind-numbingly MOR

Roo69
08/06/2005, 10:35 AM
Well be honest, the Edge has had at least 15 years head start. Check out most bands, and their playing gets better over time, as they beocme more serious in their music (musos??). Unfortunately, with a lot of bands, becoming better does not equate in better music, as the 'edge' is lost in their music. Take U2 for example.........

Yeah most bands do become better over time, BUT, feck all bands last 20+ years, will Coldplay be around in 2015/20 ? i highly doubt it. Take U2's 3rd Album - War, compared to Coldplays 3rd. War is still a classic these days that the likes of coldplay could only dream of releasing. Like, New Years Day was recorded and mixed in 10 bloody minutes, name another band who could do that ? it's unthinkable nowadays really.

Frank Blue
08/06/2005, 10:41 AM
Yeah most bands do become better over time, BUT, feck all bands last 20+ years, will Coldplay be around in 2015/20 ? i highly doubt it. Take U2's 3rd Album - War, compared to Coldplays 3rd. War is still a classic these days that the likes of coldplay could only dream of releasing. Like, New Years Day was recorded and mixed in 10 bloody minutes, name another band who could do that ? it's unthinkable nowadays really.

Loads of bands used to cut songs like that. Perhaps this is where the music industry is going wrong - highly polished songs/music, image......
Nothing seems spontaneous anymore.

Most fun album I got recently is The Killers "Hot Fuss". Bloc Party aren't that bad; The Bravery is poor; Elbow is outstanding (I have both albums); The Doves latest is rather boring; The Arcade Fire "Funeral" is brilliant; New Order is standard New Order.

Roo69
08/06/2005, 10:51 AM
Loads of bands used to cut songs like that. Perhaps this is where the music industry is going wrong - highly polished songs/music, image......
Nothing seems spontaneous anymore.

Most fun album I got recently is The Killers "Hot Fuss". Bloc Party aren't that bad; The Bravery is poor; Elbow is outstanding (I have both albums); The Doves latest is rather boring; The Arcade Fire "Funeral" is brilliant; New Order is standard New Order.

You could be onto something there ! in fairness, it should not take 2/3 years to make an album, thats just plain silly !

Out of the albums mentioned Doves would actually be my fav, excellent album with a wide range of style of music on it. Foo Fighters new album is pretty good as well, the 2nd acoustic album is qualo

jofyisgod
08/06/2005, 2:04 PM

In all fairness it sounds very different to Parachutes and Rush. Listen to all 3 in a row, X&Y has got the whole band playing as one. It has guitars, real bass!! and synth, etc. This is a classy album-people always harking on about U2. Overrated, especially in Ireland. Their latest album was certainly not up to the standard of X&Y(I have both).

Agree with you re: Arcade Fire-class.
Rufus Wainwright is great too, different, but amazing songwriter.