PDA

View Full Version : Can we still win the league without Doyle?

kingcolers
03/06/2005, 4:22 PM
Just looking at Doyle's collection of goals on the Reading site. Top stuff. Wonder how we'll cope without him? Is Roy O'Donovan that good? Will some of the other players step up to fill the gap? Will O'Flynn come back out of the shadows now as the main man?

I suppose City have great momentum right now, which counts for a lot, and a few options up front aswell. I'm optimistic but just hope we don't look back at the end of the season and say we could have won it if Doyler didn't leave...

A face
03/06/2005, 4:29 PM
We are well able .... that is one good thing about the club, we can weather this one .... the depth in the squad will sort us out all right.

Come City .... we have a title to win !!

yan
03/06/2005, 4:39 PM
will doyler still get a medal when we win the league this year?

ollie
03/06/2005, 4:43 PM
will doyler still get a medal when we win the league this year?

no i'd say.you would need to be at the club at the end of the season and after playing x amount of games i think.

shedite
03/06/2005, 4:46 PM
That's the most BS thread title EVER. Of course we can. Do NOT start usning this as excuses if we fall from the top of the league. We have more strength in depth up front than anyone (Shels included).

O'Flynn, Fenn, O'Donovan, Behan are all top class strikers. A fully fit Flynn was beter than Doyle ever was.

Move this to thrash and ban kingcoloers for stupidity.

Troy.McClure
03/06/2005, 4:47 PM
FFS :rolleyes:

Doyle, at the price that is being mentioned is bad business, but on the pitch, we have players to come in for him. Behan has as many goals as him, Fenn is keeping the bench nice and warm but showed his class against Shels and O'Flynn is looking better this season than last, so when he actually gets fit, he will be grand + theres Roy O'Donavin who looks a better player than Doyle at his age. If things ever get desperate we could also put George back up front

For the teams sake it would have been much worse if we lost a centre back or Devine.

WE HAVE PLENTY OF PEOPLE TO KNOCK THE GOALS IN!!!

Colm
03/06/2005, 5:03 PM
A fully fit Flynn was beter than Doyle ever was.

Have to agree with that.

Still doesn't make Doyler any less of a loss though.

kevincronin2000
03/06/2005, 5:06 PM
ya but we now have money to spend/ ;)

pete
03/06/2005, 5:10 PM
The squad is still much stronger than last season.

Behan is like new player plus we now have O'Donovan & Coughlan.

We are really only losing Doyle as Long wasn't really going to play in league matches.

I think we'll miss Doyle most in Europe.

Rico hasn't brought in any new players of his own yet so maybe a quality wide midfielder would offer options.

shedite
03/06/2005, 5:41 PM
I'm glad he hasn't. I think he's been a perfectly fair manager so far. He has seen probably more of the eL than anybody at Cork City so would have had a few targets when he arrived but he's been patient and given everyone their fair chance, whether we've agreed with it or not. When Behan is scoring, he's staying with him, when Colin's playin well he's stickin with him.

He knows what's available and will buy when he sees the need. He won't buy to keep us happy though. And anyway, have we ever made a high profile buy that has been a success??? They've mostly been unknowns. Devine the exception.

Éanna
03/06/2005, 11:39 PM
Yes of course we can. We've Fenn to come in, Flynny to come back and Behan has done ok in terms of goals scored lately. O'Donovan looks like he could do a job up front as well, and georgie didn't do badly as a striker either

A face
04/06/2005, 1:38 AM
I'm glad he hasn't. I think he's been a perfectly fair manager so far. He has seen probably more of the eL than anybody at Cork City so would have had a few targets when he arrived but he's been patient and given everyone their fair chance, whether we've agreed with it or not. When Behan is scoring, he's staying with him, when Colin's playin well he's stickin with him.

Has to be said, he has got it right so far but just on that point .... alot of people saw Dolan come in and didn't like it, they bite their tongue and waited their time, they didn't hide what they thought but showed retrain and didn't fly off the handle and get stupid. And they took/take the good with the bad ... fair play .... hats off to them, a balanced reasoned approach ... and that is the job in fairness, i know i'm not like that anyway. Just wanted to say that to ... well ... err ... to have said it really !!

He knows what's available and will buy when he sees the need. He won't buy to keep us happy though. And anyway, have we ever made a high profile buy that has been a success??? They've mostly been unknowns. Devine the exception.

I hope to good he doesnt buy to keep us happy .... cos it'll all go horribly wrong .... leave the man do his thing .... there has been so much cráp in the last few weeks, i'd never trust a city fan again if i were a manager !!!

GavinZac
04/06/2005, 3:28 AM
roy will come good lads, i promise

Éanna
04/06/2005, 12:57 PM
roy will come good lads, i promise
he's looking like it already IMO

Anto McC
04/06/2005, 1:32 PM
Anyone got a link to the site with Doylers goals.

Éanna
04/06/2005, 1:34 PM
Anyone got a link to the site with Doylers goals.
here ya go

Also, readingfc.com have put together a video feature on Doyle, 14 of his goals. you have to register to see them so I registered if you want to use that login.

username corkcityfc
password corkcityfc

Anto McC
04/06/2005, 2:25 PM
Cheers lads.

A face
04/06/2005, 2:31 PM
Cheers lads.

You should be thanking Doyler really to be fair !! :o

Anto McC
04/06/2005, 4:21 PM
Cheers Doyler

adamd164
04/06/2005, 4:42 PM
people say we've an obsession with dublin, well look at D2 Red's signature :rolleyes:

jofyisgod
04/06/2005, 6:11 PM
Awww, the memories. It never occurred to me that he scored the 2 most important European goals last season too. :eek:

terry9
04/06/2005, 8:43 PM
of course,theres no such thing as a one man team..do you think if he played by himself ye'd win a game?

kevincronin2000
04/06/2005, 8:55 PM
lads when i see the title of this thread when i log in it drives me mad, of course we can win the fcukin thing. Come monday there will be daylight at the top of the leauge.

Remember when city played bohs on the last day of last season Crowe, Ryan and Hawkins were in the stand as Garreth Farley said he only wanted to play players who are interested in playing for the club and the eleven he played did more than ok. I am not saying Doyle shouldnt play as he deserves a good send off but can we gaurentee that his heart will be in it.

Just on another point Don Givens shouldnt knock el players, when they were not picked for the team during the close season there results were crap, and it took 2 el players (ok not for long more ) to save his blushes the other night. The u21s play france in cork if i am correct, think its time to start thinking of an appropriate banner for the game, saying that anytime a player plays for the irish u21s you might as well put him on e-bay with all the scouts watching.

Stevo Da Gull
04/06/2005, 9:30 PM
Now I'm not expecting many to agree with me but in the long run the Doyle move could be a good thing.

I reckon that when O'Flynn's on form he is as good if not better than Doyle and with the money generated from this deal Cork can bring in 2 players, possibly a striker and 1 in whichever position needs strengthening and the squad would then be stronger (provided the new players are good) than before.

Stevo Da Gull
04/06/2005, 9:35 PM
Just on another point Don Givens shouldnt knock el players, when they were not picked for the team during the close season there results were crap, and it took 2 el players (ok not for long more ) to save his blushes the other night. The u21s play france in cork if i am correct, think its time to start thinking of an appropriate banner for the game, saying that anytime a player plays for the irish u21s you might as well put him on e-bay with all the scouts watching.

Sorry to doble post but I was a bit dissapointed with the attitude that seemed to be protrayed by Givens regarding EL players.

And about my above post, was'nt Robbie Doyle being linked with City under Dolan :confused: ;) :cool:

A face
05/06/2005, 2:52 AM
The u21s play france in cork if i am correct, think its time to start thinking of an appropriate banner for the game, saying that anytime a player plays for the irish u21s you might as well put him on e-bay with all the scouts watching.

Givens ... welcome to hell !!

The guy is a pr!ck ... there is no getting away from it .... why are we landed with muppets like this ?? :o

CollegeTillIDie
05/06/2005, 8:35 AM
Of course you can still win the League without Doyle. It is important to spend the revenue coming in for him wisely though.

jofyisgod
05/06/2005, 8:57 AM
It is important to spend the revenue coming in for him wisely though.

It's important to spend it. Full stop. I hope we actually see a new face with this money (not straight away-no rush is there), but i pray that it doesn't get spent on something stupid, eg/admin, etc.

yan
05/06/2005, 10:13 AM
The u21s play france in cork if i am correct.

does anyone know if this is true?? if so it should be a great game and atmosphere, its been awhile since we had the under 21's at the cross

patsh
05/06/2005, 7:04 PM
but i pray that it doesn't get spent on something stupid, eg/admin, etc.
Yeah it would never do to spend money coming into the club on something stupid like the cost of running the club.....

kingcolers
06/06/2005, 9:14 AM
yeah exactly...weren't people compalining about crap training facilities not so long ago? 100K could help sort that out...