PDA

View Full Version : Bulgaria V Republic of Ireland - Thursday, 3rd September 2020 - UEFA Nations League

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Bielsa´s irish
08/08/2020, 2:50 PM
I think Kenny wont change a bit for this year matches and he will try to prepare the 11 for the Slovakia game later on. And because of this crisis worldwide he wont be calling a squad bigger than a 25/28 players panel I think if everyone is fit and injury free.

i think he will bring some younsters by degrees. Will check the granny-rule boys, and will check some options up-front better than lackluster players Hogan and Collins)

GKEEPERS (Randolph-McDermott-Kelleher)
DEFENDERS (Coleman-O'Connor-Duffy-K.Long-Egan-Clark-Stevens-Doherty-Manning)
MIDFIELDERS(Arter-McCarthy-Cullen-Hendrick-McClean-Brady-Hourihane-Byrne-Browne-Smallbone)
FORWARDS (McGoldrick-Robinson-S.Long-Connolly-Obafemi-Sheridan)

elatedscum
08/08/2020, 3:28 PM
Can’t see Kelleher or O’Connor in the squad. I’d also imagine from the comments he made that Obafemi and Smallbone will be with the 21s.

Would think Molumby, Curtis and O’Dowda have a very good shot. Hogan is hard to tell considering how good his form was back before the break and how much that factors in...

tetsujin1979
08/08/2020, 4:34 PM
If the Bulgaria game is on September 3rd, I'd guess the squad will be announced around August 21st

gally
08/08/2020, 5:22 PM
Surely Dara O'Shea over O'Connor firstly.
Then Midfielders, no Smallbone as SK states very unlikely and replace with Molumby
Finally Strikers, No Obafemi as per SK, also Sheridan out, two replacements are Idah and O'Dowda.

samhaydenjr
09/08/2020, 3:47 AM
Cillian Sheridan? Really? Are we giving out caps based on number of countries you've played in (an impressive six, in fairness to Sheridan)? I know James Collins underwhelmed against Switzerland and Georgia but he has already opened his account for us and has 14 in his maiden season in the Championship, which ensured Luton's survival - he has over 150 league goals in his career so far. Meanwhile Scott Hogan seemed, to an extent, to rediscover the form that made us chase him while he was at Brentford. And Adam Idah has a dozen EPL games and an FA Cup Hat-trick under his belt, although I admit it may be just too early for him yet. Sean Maguire hasn't been scoriing much but he has been playing regularly for a Championship team that had playoff aspiration right up to the last few weeks of the season

ColourfulPeanut
09/08/2020, 1:47 PM
Sheridan isn't getting near the squad, it's baffling he's being discussed.

McGoldrick, Long, Obafemi, Connolly, Robinson, Hogan, Maguire, Collins, Idah and Parrott all ahead of him in that roughly order.

livehead1
09/08/2020, 2:43 PM
Smallbone must be a cert

Eirambler
09/08/2020, 3:55 PM
Kenny has previously said Smallbone would be with the Under 21s. That's not to say that he can't or won't change his opinion, but he seemed pretty clear on it at the press day a few weeks ago.

Bielsa´s irish
09/08/2020, 5:09 PM
Cillian Sheridan? Really? Are we giving out caps based on number of countries you've played in (an impressive six, in fairness to Sheridan)? I know James Collins underwhelmed against Switzerland and Georgia but he has already opened his account for us and has 14 in his maiden season in the Championship, which ensured Luton's survival - he has over 150 league goals in his career so far. Meanwhile Scott Hogan seemed, to an extent, to rediscover the form that made us chase him while he was at Brentford. And Adam Idah has a dozen EPL games and an FA Cup Hat-trick under his belt, although I admit it may be just too early for him yet. Sean Maguire hasn't been scoriing much but he has been playing regularly for a Championship team that had playoff aspiration right up to the last few weeks of the season

Im just saying that Cillian Sheridan is a much better option coming from the bench, because of his stats and experience, as a classic target-man # 9. Better skills than that certain Collins who isnt very mobile. Hogan is a poacher, can play there as a target man but is hot and cold. Idah wants the ball at his feet not a classic # 9. Maguire is a second striker. Wonderkid Parrott is still too young to fight off defenders at international level.

Bielsa´s irish
09/08/2020, 5:18 PM
Sheridan isn't getting near the squad, it's baffling he's being discussed.

McGoldrick, Long, Obafemi, Connolly, Robinson, Hogan, Maguire, Collins, Idah and Parrott all ahead of him in that roughly order.

I dont think Idah and Parrott are prepared for primetime yet. Robinson, Obafemi and Maguire cant play up front all alone as a classic 9. Connolly and McGoldrick are second strikers just behind the 9.even Connolly plays as left winger or right winger. Then you have the likes of Hogan and Collins whom are technically inferior players than Sheridan allround by all means

elatedscum
09/08/2020, 10:53 PM
I think this would be my squad - not the most adventurous squad but changes will hopefully not just come in the form of players but in the current squad’s performance... and I do believe that with a new manager, everyone deserves a clean slate...

It’s probably a bit larger than he would like but there’s always an injury or two...

Randolph, McDermott, O’Leary

Doherty, Coleman, Duffy, Egan, Clarke, K Long, Stevens, Brady

McCarthy, Cullen, Hendrick, Hourihane, Arter, Byrne, Browne, Molumby

McClean, Connolly, Robinson, O’Dowda

McGoldrick, S Long, Hogan, Maguire

——————

Backups:

O’Hara (GK)
Lenihan (CB)
Christie (RB)
Manning (LB)
Whelan (CM)
Curtis (WG)

Snoop Drog
10/08/2020, 12:59 AM
I saw Sheridan play twice last year vs Sydney FC, and I saw nothing to suggest he should be expecting a call up.
Sure he's a big target man, but I would question if Hogan and Collins are technically inferior. I would rather start with any of the 10 other strikers ColourfulPeanut lists.

Stuttgart88
10/08/2020, 10:15 AM
I think this would be my squad - not the most adventurous squad but changes will hopefully not just come in the form of players but in the current squad’s performance... and I do believe that with a new manager, everyone deserves a clean slate...

It’s probably a bit larger than he would like but there’s always an injury or two...

Randolph, McDermott, O’Leary

Doherty, Coleman, Duffy, Egan, Clarke, K Long, Stevens, Brady

McCarthy, Cullen, Hendrick, Hourihane, Arter, Byrne, Browne, Molumby

McClean, Connolly, Robinson, O’Dowda

McGoldrick, S Long, Hogan, Maguire

——————

Backups:

O’Hara (GK)
Lenihan (CB)
Christie (RB)
Manning (LB)
Whelan (CM)
Curtis (WG)

Could you talk us through your choice of goalkeepers?

I know absolutely nothing about O’Leary and had even forgotten he had been in a previous squad. Have you seen McDermott? I haven’t.

Just out of curiosity, is James Talbot injured?

You’re right that it’s not very exciting, but that’s not a criticism. I think any expectation of big changes are unrealistic. Sure, there’s an exciting crop of kids on the cusp of a breakthrough but few, if any, are better than an incumbent. That said, I think there’s room on merit for at least Obafemi, Smallbone and O’Shea, notwithstanding what SK said about Smallbone very recently.

But as you say the first big change has to be in performance, which by suggestion will be the result of a change in approach. 12 months from now we’ll have a better picture of personnel evolution.

Diggs246
10/08/2020, 1:30 PM
Is Kieran Westwood retired ?

DeLorean
10/08/2020, 3:00 PM
Is Kieran Westwood retired ?

He's still at Sheffield Wednesday but out of favour with a while. He publicly dispelled rumours of a rift a couple of months back. Maybe you were asking if he's retired from international football though, not as far as anybody is aware I don't think, but would seem a long way back from his current standing, unless SK happens to be a massive fan.

ColourfulPeanut
10/08/2020, 3:19 PM
For keepers I'd probably go

Randolph, Travers and O'Leary.

McDermott is in Norway and not playing, I wouldn't consider him. O'Leary gets in on merit after having a great season, albeit at a lower level. Randolph's move has been a total disappointment as he hasn't played at all really but he's still our best keeper and played at this level. Travers I'd have in because we have Kelleher and Bazunu in the U21s already and he's played at the highest level already.

I don't think anybody else warrants selection.

Randolph, Travers, O'Leary

Coleman, Doherty, Duffy, Egan, Clark, Long, Stephens, Manning

McCarthy, Hendrick, Hourihane, Cullen, Browne, Molumby,

Brady, Connolly, Robinson

McGoldrick, Long, Obafemi

Is what I would go for. I don't see what McClean adds to the squad moving forward and I think O'Dowda offers absolutely nothing that we don't already have.

zero
10/08/2020, 3:33 PM
mcdermott appears not to have featured (not even on bench) since the norwegian league resumed in june so is perhaps injured?

the other goalkeeper that springs to mine is kieran o'hara who is currently without a club since returned from a loan spell at burton to man utd. he was first choice at burton (mid table league one).

Bielsa´s irish
10/08/2020, 5:43 PM
WELL let me tell you if there was a world cup or EURO now....(lets forget about this covid-19 just for a sec) these are the players that Stephen Kenny may take... checking experience, age, stats and skills.

1Randolph
2Coleman
3Stevens
4Duffy
5Clark
6Arter
7Hendrick
8McCarthy
9SLong
10Brady
11McClean
12Doherty
13KLong
14 Byrne
15Egan
16Browne
17Manning
18Hourihane
19Sheridan
20Connolly
21Robinson
22Westwood
23McDermott

Bielsa´s irish
10/08/2020, 6:06 PM
Could you talk us through your choice of goalkeepers?

I know absolutely nothing about O’Leary and had even forgotten he had been in a previous squad. Have you seen McDermott? I haven’t.

Just out of curiosity, is James Talbot injured?

You’re right that it’s not very exciting, but that’s not a criticism. I think any expectation of big changes are unrealistic. Sure, there’s an exciting crop of kids on the cusp of a breakthrough but few, if any, are better than an incumbent. That said, I think there’s room on merit for at least Obafemi, Smallbone and O’Shea, notwithstanding what SK said about Smallbone very recently.

But as you say the first big change has to be in performance, which by suggestion will be the result of a change in approach. 12 months from now we’ll have a better picture of personnel evolution.

the goalkeeper situation is a top issue now. Imagine if Randolph gets an injury. Westwood is 35 didnt play last season. Youngsters are untested, the other is Sean McDermott who has plenty experience and good age.

ColourfulPeanut
10/08/2020, 7:17 PM
the goalkeeper situation is a top issue now. Imagine if Randolph gets an injury. Westwood is 35 didnt play last season. Youngsters are untested, the other is Sean McDermott who has plenty experience and good age.
McDermott has played less than 150 senior games at 27. The highest level he's played at is the Norwegian league and 3 games in the Romanian league.

elatedscum
10/08/2020, 8:07 PM
I’ve seen McDermott play twice but in late 2018, so not recently. He was very good though and have kept an eye out for highlights now and then. As for O’Leary, saw him play 2 games for Shrewsbury, first was against Liverpool where he was excellent and really stood out. There was a lot more than what’s contained in the highlights but you’ll get an idea... https://youtu.be/D0CWIRrAKzE

If Travers was playing regularly somewhere, he’d probably be in or around my squad but I think the prospect of having a chance to play football at 21s might be better for him. he basically played nothing last season (id say 5 or less games, mostly in cups)

O’Hara meanwhile has conceded a good few clangers over the last year. It would make you worry. I wouldn’t write him off entirely but he’s probably a notch short of being good enough to play for Ireland.

Talbot has a foot injury apparently. He’s probably at about the same level as O’Hara for me. There’s ability there but also mistakes (thinking vs Rovers in that really rainy day). The old guard probably consists of Westwood and Elliot, neither played last year.

A few years ago all of Lawlor, Danny Rogers and O’Malley were highly rated but none seem to have panned out and McCarey has spent the last year on Dundalk’s bench.

As for the rest of the squad, I kinda ruled out Obafemi and Smallbone just based on Kenny’s comments but I would probably try to find a place for Smallbone. Centre midfield is an unusual position because you’ve got a few players who haven’t really had an opportunity yet (Cullen, Browne, Byrne, Molumby), players who have been regularly injured (McCarthy, Arter) and then the lads who played regularly in the last campaign (Hourihane, Hendrick, Whelan). It’s loaded with players who are all at a similar enough level (there are no superstars) but they’re all very different players. Hard to really reduce it down...

My only feeling with O’Shea is that he’s behind Doherty and Coleman on the right and Egan, Duffy and Clarke in the centre. So realistically he’s not going to be more than a fringe player for now. I’d rather him continue with the 21s at least when they’re playing competitive games until after the playoffs

Diggs246
10/08/2020, 8:34 PM
Our goalkeeper situation is deadly serious. Our No 1 doesn't play and he is an automatic starter. If he injured we could he in hot water.

I like Max O leary ahead of the rest.

Mark travers has to be playing so we know how good he is ( or possibly not)

Max O leary is highly rated re Shrewsbury(as per this site)

https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/shrewsbury-town-fc/2020/04/15/shrewsburys-players-of-the-season-so-far/

DeLorean
11/08/2020, 12:00 AM
Sheffield United appear determined to sign Aaron Ramsdale, which might give Travers a chance of starting the season as Bournemouth's number one?

liamoo11
11/08/2020, 6:50 PM
For Kenny to play the type of game he seems to want to then a keeper who is comfortable and ambitious on the ball will be key. Kelleher gives that option far better than anyone else . Kelleher for the 21s takes up great positions 5 to 10 yards outside the box to allow him to influence the game and allow his centre halves to push on and compress the space in the middle of the pitch.

Randolph and Duffy have done the exact opposite for us conceding space and having us defend constantly on the edge of our box draghing our midfield back leaving massive space between our front players and the rest of the team. I cant remember randolf ever getting on the ball outside his box and getting involved in the play and making himself a spare man for maintaining possesion. I cant see how our midfield can be expected to influence games in a better way if our keeper and centre halves are not going to be better in possesion and braver to hold a much higher line. Duffy has been excellent for us in a highlights kind of way and I love his sheer passion but he has also been a problem by sitting deep to protect himself which makes any cohesive play between our midfield and attach nearly impossible

Bielsa´s irish
11/08/2020, 9:49 PM
For Kenny to play the type of game he seems to want to then a keeper who is comfortable and ambitious on the ball will be key. Kelleher gives that option far better than anyone else . Kelleher for the 21s takes up great positions 5 to 10 yards outside the box to allow him to influence the game and allow his centre halves to push on and compress the space in the middle of the pitch.

Randolph and Duffy have done the exact opposite for us conceding space and having us defend constantly on the edge of our box draghing our midfield back leaving massive space between our front players and the rest of the team. I cant remember randolf ever getting on the ball outside his box and getting involved in the play and making himself a spare man for maintaining possesion. I cant see how our midfield can be expected to influence games in a better way if our keeper and centre halves are not going to be better in possesion and braver to hold a much higher line. Duffy has been excellent for us in a highlights kind of way and I love his sheer passion but he has also been a problem by sitting deep to protect himself which makes any cohesive play between our midfield and attach nearly impossible

Well egan can be a solution there...kelleher can be ireland number 1 but the guy is too pretty and fair for a goalkeeper. Keepers must be ugly and act like crazy son of bitches.

Maybe he is gonna do what Mick did in 98. Start the team with the youngsters and only a few experience players. As it seems James McCarthy is gonna be team captain. According to what Kenny said about him.

Stuttgart88
12/08/2020, 9:20 AM
Where did Kenny say that?

And I thought he was on the record as saying the kids can wait (not quite his words but the jist).

jbyrne
12/08/2020, 9:41 AM
Well egan can be a solution there...kelleher can be ireland number 1 but the guy is too pretty and fair for a goalkeeper. Keepers must be ugly and act like crazy son of bitches.

Maybe he is gonna do what Mick did in 98. Start the team with the youngsters and only a few experience players. As it seems James McCarthy is gonna be team captain. According to what Kenny said about him.

kenny has already confirmed that coleman will remain as captain.
mick had no choice in 96 but to try out the younger players. despite that the likes of townsend, houghton and cascarino were all still involved in micks first campaign

Bielsa´s irish
12/08/2020, 6:29 PM
what about Stephen Henderson?

Razors left peg
12/08/2020, 6:31 PM
I think Kenny wont change a bit for this year matches and he will try to prepare the 11 for the Slovakia game later on. And because of this crisis worldwide he wont be calling a squad bigger than a 25/28 players panel I think if everyone is fit and injury free.

i think he will bring some younsters by degrees. Will check the granny-rule boys, and will check some options up-front better than lackluster players Hogan and Collins)

GKEEPERS (Randolph-McDermott-Kelleher)
DEFENDERS (Coleman-O'Connor-Duffy-K.Long-Egan-Clark-Stevens-Doherty-Manning)
MIDFIELDERS(Arter-McCarthy-Cullen-Hendrick-McClean-Brady-Hourihane-Byrne-Browne-Smallbone)
FORWARDS (McGoldrick-Robinson-S.Long-Connolly-Obafemi-Sheridan)

I couldnt figure out who Sheridan was in this until I read further down, bit shocked that it was Cillian Sheridan you think should be included. There is zero chance that is happening.

Kelleher is not even sub keeper for Liverpool these days. He needs to go play somewhere this year even if its just a loan, I dont see him ever being Liverpool 1st choice so permanent move would be better.

Lee O Connor is miles from this squad. Hes miles from the Celtic squad too. Whoever advised him a move to Celtic when they were also signing Frimpong should be sacked. Although he didnt do himself any good on loan last year either.

Is Arter still a footballer?

Bielsa´s irish
12/08/2020, 6:40 PM
I couldnt figure out who Sheridan was in this until I read further down, bit shocked that it was Cillian Sheridan you think should be included. There is zero chance that is happening.

Kelleher is not even sub keeper for Liverpool these days. He needs to go play somewhere this year even if its just a loan, I dont see him ever being Liverpool 1st choice so permanent move would be better.

Is Arter still a footballer?

I think Sheridan is a proven number 9, the guy is playing at a higher level than the likes of Hogan and Collins. And for the last 5 years. He could be a super-sub. Played C.L Europa league etc. Knows eastern europe, which is a plus! Keeps on scoring goals, is a penalty taker. Of course Daryl Murphy was preferred by MON-Roy in that place. We need options and different assets upfront.

I will put Kelleher as Randolph´s understudy like Given was.

Bielsa´s irish
12/08/2020, 6:43 PM
Where did Kenny say that?

And I thought he was on the record as saying the kids can wait (not quite his words but the jist).

well some kids are ready. That kid Lee O´Connor has been brillant every time ive seen him. He is like a brazilian right back!!
b

Razors left peg
12/08/2020, 6:44 PM
I think Sheridan is a proven number 9, the guy is playing at a higher level than the likes of Hogan and Collins. And for the last 5 years. He could be a super-sub. Played C.L Europa league etc. Knows eastern europe, which is a plus! Keeps on scoring goals, is a penalty taker. Of course Daryl Murphy was preferred by MON-Roy in that place. We need options and different assets upfront.

I will put Kelleher as Randolph´s understudy like Given was.

Proven where? He changes club every season. Really interesting guy actually but hes the ultimate journeyman. Fair play to him hes made a good career for himself but hes not even close to an international quality striker. Hes not even a Championship level striker.

Razors left peg
12/08/2020, 6:45 PM
well some kids are ready. That kid Lee O´Connor has been brillant every time ive seen him. He is like a brazilian right back!!
b

Hes been good for the u21s but his club career is a disaster so far

Bielsa´s irish
12/08/2020, 6:52 PM
Proven where? He changes club every season. Really interesting guy actually but hes the ultimate journeyman. Fair play to him hes made a good career for himself but hes not even close to an international quality striker. Hes not even a Championship level striker.

Check his stats they are very good. His standard is higher than some strikers from a Championship low table team. Champioship is not better than the polish 1st division. Now if Hogan gets game time for Villa that changes. But he has been discarded

Razors left peg
12/08/2020, 7:01 PM
Check his stats they are very good. His standard is higher than some strikers from a Championship low table team. Champioship is not better than the polish 1st division. Now if Hogan gets game time for Villa that changes. But he has been discarded
Here are his stats for last few years...

2017–2018
Jagiellonia Białystok (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jagiellonia_Bia%C5%82ystok)
(17)

Wellington Phoenix (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellington_Phoenix_FC)
(1)

2019–2020
Ironi Kiryat Shmona (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hapoel_Ironi_Kiryat_Shmona_F.C.)
(4)

2020–
Wisła Płock (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wis%C5%82a_P%C5%82ock)
(2)

17 goals in 52 games 4 years ago was ok, but since then only 1 goal in 17 in NZ, 4 goals in Israel and 2 back in Poland..... not exactly a player on the up in his career. I actually cant believe this is even a debate!

Razors left peg
12/08/2020, 7:19 PM
Kenny has previously said Smallbone would be with the Under 21s. That's not to say that he can't or won't change his opinion, but he seemed pretty clear on it at the press day a few weeks ago.

I hadnt see that quote but Id be disappointed if hes not in the squad. Hes now a regular starter or off the bench for a decent Southampton team so Id have him involved, especially for the Nations League. 5 mins towards the end of a game would also end any future speculation on his allegiances. I normally wouldnt suggest that, but since there is a decent argument to have him in the squad I would go with it this time.

CraftyToePoke
12/08/2020, 7:43 PM
I hadnt see that quote but Id be disappointed if hes not in the squad. Hes now a regular starter or off the bench for a decent Southampton team so Id have him involved, especially for the Nations League. 5 mins towards the end of a game would also end any future speculation on his allegiances. I normally wouldnt suggest that, but since there is a decent argument to have him in the squad I would go with it this time.

Maybe Kenny is saying 21s for WS because he isn't available for a cap which would tie him, its possible. Because SK definitely said he's U21s for now.

Razors left peg
12/08/2020, 7:45 PM
Maybe Kenny is saying 21s for WS because he isn't available for a cap which would tie him, its possible. Because SK definitely said he's U21s for now.

Does the Nations League not tie him? Or are you saying that Kenny doesnt want to put pressure on Smallbone to tie him?

CraftyToePoke
12/08/2020, 7:49 PM
I'm saying it's possible WS is undecided and SK is in diplomatic mode about it. Hope not, but his stance on WS goes against previously stated intentions to manage these situations speedily, a little. Look, its probably a bottle of smoke and he'll play an NL game and this will be done and dusted.

Razors left peg
12/08/2020, 8:33 PM
I'm saying it's possible WS is undecided and SK is in diplomatic mode about it. Hope not, but his stance on WS goes against previously stated intentions to manage these situations speedily, a little. Look, its probably a bottle of smoke and he'll play an NL game and this will be done and dusted.

Yeah I cant imagine Kenny having any patience with undecided players based on previous comments.

Diggs246
12/08/2020, 10:23 PM
Was it smallbone that referred to the rep of Ireland as" them" ?
I might be misquoting tbf

elatedscum
12/08/2020, 11:44 PM
Was it smallbone that referred to the rep of Ireland as" them" ?
I might be misquoting tbf

I think that might be correct but he also gave an interview more recent than that where he said his ambition was to play for the senior team as soon as possible

Bielsa´s irish
17/08/2020, 5:02 PM
We are just two weeks away from S.K first game and i have seen a lot of his team play in the Toulon tournament with oconnor ronan etc..

he plays grass football from the back with a back 4 line. with two central midifielders and 3 supporting attacking midfield players and a main number 9. in a 4-2-3-1

This I do think this is gonna be S.K first eleven in my opinion, just because of what he said, and preparing for the games with slovakia and maybe bosnia/nordies.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....................

McGoldrick doesnt suit his team as a number 9. Maybe in Brady's place as a number 10, in the hole. He talked a lot about Robbie Brady, i think he is gonna be his number 10.

Right Midfield i think is gonna be young Doherty or Robinson.

and the goalkeeper spot, i am more than sure that he is gonna blood those Kelleher's gloves sooner than later.

I think he is gonna choose Kevin Long over Duffy because Duffy has a tendency to boot it long from the back.

From what i watched on espn last year, his team switches from 4-2-3-1 to 4-3-3 or 4-1-2-3 when attacking.

The James McCarthy role is of a playmaker role from the back. He uses a deep-lying playmaker.

i think that is gonna be his first 11

Kelleher/Randolph

Coleman K.Long/Duffy Egan Stevens

McCarthy Hourihane

Doherty Brady Connolly

McGoldrick/S.Long

irishfan86
17/08/2020, 5:28 PM
Interesting assessment RE: Brady. Would not be thrilled to see McGoldrick lead the line as I don't think that role suits him.

If Kenny is going to focus on football, I'd suggest Clark will be well placed to start, as I'd say he's probably our best footballing centre half.

tetsujin1979
17/08/2020, 5:45 PM
Threads merged
Don't start the same thread twice

Bielsa´s irish
17/08/2020, 5:56 PM
Interesting assessment RE: Brady. Would not be thrilled to see McGoldrick lead the line as I don't think that role suits him.

If Kenny is going to focus on football, I'd suggest Clark will be well placed to start, as I'd say he's probably our best footballing centre half.

Yeah i mean McGoldrick is a clever passer but better as a second striker just behind the 9, he likes to roam around, getting involved. That goal in Gibraltar was his crafty "impronta".

yeah but clark is out injured. I can see this Egan-Clark partnership.

irishfan86
17/08/2020, 7:24 PM
I guess what I'm saying is....McGoldrick is in the form of his life and Brady has been up to a whole lot of nothing for an extended period now. Why should we give Brady such a crucial position and play McGoldrick essentially out of a position as a No. 9?

I'd love to include Brady somewhere on the field but I'm not sure on form he's earned it (and I appreciate he's had a horrible time with injuries and it isn't entirely his fault).

Bielsa´s irish
17/08/2020, 8:03 PM
I guess what I'm saying is....McGoldrick is in the form of his life and Brady has been up to a whole lot of nothing for an extended period now. Why should we give Brady such a crucial position and play McGoldrick essentially out of a position as a No. 9?

I'd love to include Brady somewhere on the field but I'm not sure on form he's earned it (and I appreciate he's had a horrible time with injuries and it isn't entirely his fault).

well, Yes but McGoldrick played better for Ireland than for the blades. Now, where to place him? For me, just behind the main striker (Shane Long), but that depends on the system he comes up with.

irishfan86
17/08/2020, 8:10 PM
Disagree that McGoldrick played better for us than Sheffield United. He has been absolutely vital for the Blades despite his low goal output.

Bielsa´s irish
17/08/2020, 9:08 PM
Disagree that McGoldrick played better for us than Sheffield United. He has been absolutely vital for the Blades despite his low goal output.

we've got to rate strikers for their goals scored. Defenders for defending and midfielders for marking and creating football. That club got lucky, because goals came from everywhere, but he has to score more. Simple.

McGoldrick needs the football around him, at his feet. He is more of a bit like a classic number 10 than a number 9.