PDA

View Full Version : Bulgaria V Republic of Ireland - Thursday, 3rd September 2020 - UEFA Nations League

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

Stuttgart88
04/09/2020, 8:44 AM
Yep that's a fair point.

Olé Olé
04/09/2020, 8:53 AM
Bulgaria squeezed the life out of Idah. Yet I reckon if 12 balls came his way, he maintained possession in 8 and that was a decent return.

I think he showed a lot. If he had managed to get the space in behind a couple of times and done something decent it would have been a good performance. He played the entire match with his back to goal.

paul_oshea
04/09/2020, 8:54 AM
I don't know but I think it's something Mcgoldrick can also do, albeit much closer to the box.

But this isnt what Kenny wants from his central player in the front 3, he doesnt want them dropping deep he wants them up top foraging and in the box to receive from the wide 2. I am not convinced that McGoldrick has this type of play in him, or the pace to match. Jack Byrne/McG were what we missed last night, one can come out and drop deep and link up play with some intricate passes, the other can come from deep and make those incisive passes for runners. But I am not sure where we see that in Kennys plans, when he didn't include byrne in the squad at all. Kenny has name checked McGoldrick though, so I assume he is in the plans.

Olé Olé
04/09/2020, 9:00 AM
Is it a bit worrying that Kenny didn't identify a way to break Bulgaria down at the back? He brought Shane Long on and Long's best quality is running in behind. But we couldn't get in behind because Bulgaria were to flat and narrow. Our best chances were Connolly manufacturing positions behind Bulgaria himself.

paul_oshea
04/09/2020, 9:02 AM
Yes i alluded to the same Ole on another forum, where kenny didnt have a plan B and didnt have a way to be more incisive /direct through the middle. But its early days so can give him the benefit of the doubt, even if we didnt really have anyone on the bench in the squad(yes JB again) who could do that and allow kenny to change things up.

But i do think in a way Long might have done himself no favours, even though he felt it was what he needed to do, as elasticum said Long was running down the channels dropping out to meet the ball and then no one in the box, which is not what Kenny wants from his central player in the 3.

Diggs246
04/09/2020, 9:21 AM
Slovakia and their Seria A stars wont fear us. They should comfortably beat us. Finland are a far better team then Bulgaria so Sunday might be a long day. I would be surprised if hourihane isnt dropped. I just dont think he is any good.

brine3
04/09/2020, 9:22 AM
loving the positivity diggs

paul_oshea
04/09/2020, 9:34 AM
Ha, i completely misread that as loving those digging the positivity or having digs at the positivity!

backstothewall
04/09/2020, 9:50 AM
But this isnt what Kenny wants from his central player in the front 3, he doesnt want them dropping deep he wants them up top foraging and in the box to receive from the wide 2. I am not convinced that McGoldrick has this type of play in him, or the pace to match. Jack Byrne/McG were what we missed last night, one can come out and drop deep and link up play with some intricate passes, the other can come from deep and make those incisive passes for runners. But I am not sure where we see that in Kennys plans, when he didn't include byrne in the squad at all. Kenny has name checked McGoldrick though, so I assume he is in the plans.

I think it's early to say what Kenny wants from his central player. Just because he isn't going to hammer the ball up to him doesn't mean he won't play to McGoldrick's strengths once he is available to him.

Bulgaria were able to play the way they did last night because we didn't have a player like him. They committed so many bodies into congesting the 18 yard box that they weren't opposing us trying to work the ball into areas a potentially dangerous cross could be played from. If you are going to do that with a player like McGoldrick standing on the penalty spot he's going to punish you. Had he been there in place of Idah it would have forced them to defend a bit higher up and send defenders to close down the ball in wide areas, which in turn would have created more space to play balls through them.

He'll come in against Finland and if we build our attacks up the way we did yesterday I fancy us to actually score a goal from open play.

brine3
04/09/2020, 9:51 AM
haha, yeah, probably missing a comma there

Kenny is not going to turn us into a ball playing team overnight, but yesterday was a very good first step.

My main concern would be not being able to get both Doherty and Coleman into the same team, which seems to be a recurring issue for Ireland managers. Arguably they are our two best players. Also, we lack a solid defensive midfielder, which at times was a problem last night with the system we played. However, it needn't be such a problem, but you'd have to solve it in one of two ways, play an extra central midfielder, or play with a libero style defender like what Blind did for Ajax in the 2019 Champions League run. Neither Egan or Duffy are up to that, though. So I'm thinking some kind of 4-5-1 might be a possibility, with the ability to morph to a 4-3-3 depending on how the match is going.

Kingdom
04/09/2020, 9:58 AM
I have logged in tonight to say almost exactly that.

Really looking forward to this game and really happy with the side put out. As Kingdom says abnove, change may as well come now, because there is never a good time.

Also, howya lads! :cool:

Great to see you back, chief. You didn't even gloat on the 5.
much respect.

NeverFeltBetter
04/09/2020, 10:00 AM
Thought it was fine for a first match last night, a score-draw away nothing to sniff at in the circumstances. Lots of areas where we could improve, most notably for me maintaining control of games in second halves. Some encouraging signs there, but I think it's very important to give Kenny plenty of time before judgement are made. I think of all the managers we've had in my lifetime, he's the most in peril of getting written off quickly, especially by the media, owing to where his footballing background is.

paul_oshea
04/09/2020, 10:05 AM
I think it's early to say what Kenny wants from his central player. Just because he isn't going to hammer the ball up to him doesn't mean he won't play to McGoldrick's strengths once he is available to him.

Bulgaria were able to play the way they did last night because we didn't have a player like him. They committed so many bodies into congesting the 18 yard box that they weren't opposing us trying to work the ball into areas a potentially dangerous cross could be played from. If you are going to do that with a player like McGoldrick standing on the penalty spot he's going to punish you. Had he been there in place of Idah it would have forced them to defend a bit higher up and send defenders to close down the ball in wide areas, which in turn would have created more space to play balls through them.

He'll come in against Finland and if we build our attacks up the way we did yesterday I fancy us to actually score a goal from open play.

I amn't disagreeing with your general point, but McGoldrick is hardly a prolific scorer and has found it hard to get on the end of things for both us and Sheffield United. I think firstly we need to create more of those chances on the 6 yard line and between the 6 yard and 18 yard line, we didn't really create anything of note bar stevens ball across to odowda and connollys across the box. Looking at that again i thought the keeper seemed to get a touch on it which pushed it away?

paul_oshea
04/09/2020, 10:09 AM
Thought it was fine for a first match last night, a score-draw away nothing to sniff at in the circumstances. Lots of areas where we could improve, most notably for me maintaining control of games in second halves. Some encouraging signs there, but I think it's very important to give Kenny plenty of time before judgement are made. I think of all the managers we've had in my lifetime, he's the most in peril of getting written off quickly, especially by the media, owing to where his footballing background is.

He is, so its imperative that he grinds out draws at the very least to keep things ticking over. However we could go the way of Kerr then - minus the negative play. Sadly, he knows it himself, but he needs to see results quickly, by that I mean results in terms of how we play or results in terms of winning games, if we see both that is a massive leap forward. I do think he seemed very downbeat, more frustrated even, in the post match interview, it seemed like he had expected more and things didn't come off as he wanted and we didnt play the way he expected.

Kingdom
04/09/2020, 10:10 AM
I have sympathy for Doherty. It is no coincidence that he looked much better when O'Dowda went off.

In the first half when O'Dowda was doing well, he was cutting inside and retaining the ball. He never found Doherty in space on the overlap, not the underlap for that matter. And in the second half Doherty was just isolated.

Stevens and Connolly dovetailed much better on the opposite flank because Connolly was making more dangerous runs both inside and outside the Bulgarian full back and was able to pull narrow when Stevens went outside him.

I'd like to expand on that, because it's important. First 12 mins or so, ODowda got a decent wedge of the ball, but his space was being crowded out by Jeff Hendrick - no blaming him, just stating a fact. Hendrick then very obviously moved more central, which gave O'Dowda a lot more space to attack and take the ball on. And did it well in the first half, but as you say, not once did he utilise Doherty.

Also to be fair to Doherty (as Coleman if he had been selected), one of the primary roles in the new system will be an out ball for Duffy. You can't be an outball if you're 40 yds up the pitch, and Duffy cannot play an accurate forward pass into midfield, so I'm sympathetic towards Doherty.

As you point out the link between Stevens and Connolly when we had the ball was excellent.

passinginterest
04/09/2020, 10:11 AM
I think some of the criticism of not having a plan B is a little harsh. How many times have we seen Ireland defend deep with numbers in the central areas and just frustrate the life out of teams? Even those with world class midfielders. It's never easy to play against something like that, and arguably it was the plan B, win a corner and score from a set piece that saved the result.

Out for curiosity I looked for the stats from the 3-1 friendly win against the same opposition. Bizarrely enough, both teams had almost exactly the same number of attempts on goal and we also had the same number of corners and offsides in both games. 59% possession with 90% passing accuracy last night versus 54% and 87% accuracy in the other game.

https://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/match/2029975--bulgaria-vs-republic-of-ireland/statistics/?iv=true

https://www.uefa.com/european-qualifiers/friendlies/match/2027924--republic-of-ireland-vs-bulgaria/statistics/

Not sure there's any conclusions to draw from the stats, but thought it was curious. More evidence that the more things change the more they stay the same!

Stuttgart88
04/09/2020, 10:17 AM
Bear in mind it was 0-0 in Dublin at HT, Browne took advantage of a goalkeeper spill to open the scoring. We gave away a(nother) soft goal / pen and won with a late (83 mins) header by a CB from a corner, Collins killing the game 5 mins later with a nice goal.

Goals change games & perceptions of games.

backstothewall
04/09/2020, 10:19 AM
I amn't disagreeing with your general point, but McGoldrick is hardly a prolific scorer and has found it hard to get on the end of things for both us and Sheffield United. I think firstly we need to create more of those chances on the 6 yard line and between the 6 yard and 18 yard line, we didn't really create anything of note bar stevens ball across to odowda and connollys across the box. Looking at that again i thought the keeper seemed to get a touch on it which pushed it away?

Yeah, but it's all the other stuff he does. On a hunch i googled it and his goal-scoring record is pretty similar to Niall Quinn, albeit with a lot more games played in the 2nd tier than the first (although with the number of foreign imports in England these days the Championship is probably a better yardstick to hold against the old first division than the Premier League).

If the plan is for Connolly to play the way he did last night he should profit from being the closest player to McGoldrick. Kevin Phillips and Robbie Keane scored a lot of goals, but they owed an awful lot of them to the big man beside them with a fair to middling strike rate.

pineapple stu
04/09/2020, 10:24 AM
I think some of the criticism of not having a plan B is a little harsh.
Yeah, I think it you're trying to implement a new Plan A, then ditching it with 20 to go for a Plan B isn't the right way. Keep trying to roll out Plan A, even if it means the immediate results don't work out. I mentioned Mick's first tenure earlier in the thread - that's exactly what he had time to do, and it worked very well. Now the Nations League is in in place of friendlies, so it's not as easy. And of course we don't have the players Mick did back in 96

geysir
04/09/2020, 10:35 AM
I'd like to expand on that, because it's important. First 12 mins or so, ODowda got a decent wedge of the ball, but his space was being crowded out by Jeff Hendrick - no blaming him, just stating a fact. Hendrick then very obviously moved more central, which gave O'Dowda a lot more space to attack and take the ball on. And did it well in the first half, but as you say, not once did he utilise Doherty.

Also to be fair to Doherty (as Coleman if he had been selected), one of the primary roles in the new system will be an out ball for Duffy. You can't be an outball if you're 40 yds up the pitch, and Duffy cannot play an accurate forward pass into midfield, so I'm sympathetic towards Doherty.

As you point out the link between Stevens and Connolly when we had the ball was excellent.

But you have no sympathy left for Duffy? It all goes to Doherty.:)

We didn't have a pressing plan, except press until drop.
Bulgaria were set up quite well, similar to Slovakia, though obviously not as proficient. When we managed to disrupt their back 4 trying to play the ball out, they eventually responded with their full backs moving up the pitch 20m or so, leaving the 2 central defender to pick the pass.

Diggs246
04/09/2020, 11:21 AM
loving the positivity diggs

Its the hangover from hell speaking

Razors left peg
04/09/2020, 12:17 PM
Surprised at so much negativity. If this was previous managers we would have heard all pregame about how tough it is to go away from home and we would have set up to defend. Look at Georgia game in qualifiers where we were even wasting time for a draw.

Far from perfect last night but something to build on. We were positive and kept possession very well. Like others have said I think we were missing some creativity but I think that will improve. We were a bit slow at times too but we are well able to up the urgency.

If Connolly had taken that early chance it could have looked very different. Bulgaria would have had to come out more and Connolly and Idahs pace could have got behind them.

We are used to feeding off scraps with 30% possession and we've been told for years our players aren't capable of holding onto the ball. We had more passes last night that last 3 matches combined so its a good building block. I'd probably start Brady in the 10 role on Sunday, I don't think we have natural player there at moment. Byrne probably the best but he does need to move to be regular in the team

kennedmc
04/09/2020, 12:57 PM
Some really good points being made. If O'Shea and Clarke are starting in the premier league, will there be a place for Duffy in that team? It's too easy for teams to just close the other defenders and say to us, if you're going to play out it's going to be with Duffy and we'll close the other defenders. You could see Bulgaria making that adjustment, it's something that I know teams work on, even when they don't have video analysis etc. they'll see which defenders a team likes to play out through and then close off that option and force them to play through the weak links. Kenny will have to weigh up the massive benefits of Duffy both defending and attacking crosses versus his vulnerability in possession.

Doherty definitely looked a bit off fitness wise, and valid point made that he's only back from holiday and just transferred club so couldn't be fully up to speed. I do think O'Dowda did him no favours either by never looking for the overlap. Mick kept making the point on commentary that we weren't trying to get crosses in and that was a factor too, Kenny obviously wanted the front 3 getting it to feet and carrying it into the box or to the end line, rather than looking for the overlapping run and cross. Coleman probably starts against Finland, but expect Doherty to be sharper if he is in there.

I doubt McCarthy starts both games considering he reportedly had bad bruising going into the squad, so an opportunity for Arter most likely in the holding role. Presumably there won't be wholesale changes but things need a freshen up. I'd say McGoldrick will start, Arter will come in, Brady will probably start and maybe Coleman. Molumby might get a run off the bench this time and McClean too.

There's a lot to build on. There needs to be a bit more zip to the passing and craft in the final third if the style is really going to benefit results. I'm expecting and improvement against the Fins and hopefully a nice win.

Great point re Duffy.

kennedmc
04/09/2020, 1:20 PM
I was impressed with Connolly - our most dangerous player despite a couple of silly lazy fouls with his arms when he had the chance to put pressure on their defense.

It is a big ask for our midfield to start playing this way given their club performances but suppose we have to give it time. I'm of the opinion J BYrne is not an international level midfielder and won't see any game time once Kenny gets going. While Brady deserves a place in squad also not convinced by him in a central midfield role despite his good set piece.

Think McGoldrick will be hugely important to this team with his ability to control the ball under pressure and bring others into play.

I don't believe in international football we will always be able to play through midfield all the time esp with the way teams press - I'm sure Kenny is not naive enough to think this. Sometimes we will need to go long (not a punt!) and this is where McGoldrick and Connolly and A ANOTHER will be hugely important. (Not sure O'dowda all around game is up to it at this level despite some strong direct running).

geysir
04/09/2020, 2:59 PM
Midfield and holding onto possesion was always our bone of contention and now our salvation is to play with 3 up front :rolleyes:

When Bulgaria scored, most of the focus went on who made the last mistake, who can we blame, the useless so and so.
The first mistake was the suicidal cross field pass, bad mistakes in midfield can happen but then whatshisnameov received the ball in an acre of space and could deliver the peach perfect pass though the gap between the centre halfs, because we had no covering midfielder who would have been in that space ready to put pressure on him.
The midfield 3 were working on different scripts.
iI the 2 or 3 televised games i saw with Jack Byrne, he likes to receive the ball anywhere on the pitch. To claim he's not of the standard to play against Bulgaria or Slovakia for that matter doesn't make sense.
I think he just doesn't fit into this particular vision of 433.

passinginterest
04/09/2020, 3:22 PM
Unless we can identify a pure sitting midfielder with a good passing range, it's beginning to look more like a 4-2-3-1 would suit us better. Particularly in away games. It's a formation that would suit the likes of Jack Byrne more too. Most of the personnel should be capable of working in either shape, I think it could be more fluid once they've had some more training days together. It would have maybe been more effective to have Hourihane and McCarthy sitting a bit more with Hendrick more advanced.

brine3
04/09/2020, 3:50 PM
Unless we can identify a pure sitting midfielder with a good passing range, it's beginning to look more like a 4-2-3-1 would suit us better. Particularly in away games. It's a formation that would suit the likes of Jack Byrne more too. Most of the personnel should be capable of working in either shape, I think it could be more fluid once they've had some more training days together. It would have maybe been more effective to have Hourihane and McCarthy sitting a bit more with Hendrick more advanced.

Agreed, I'd play something like this

-------------------Randolph
--Coleman - Duffy - Egan - Stevens
-----------Hourihane - McCarthy
Doherty----------Hendrick----------Connolly
--------------------A. Striker

A good way to play possession-based football without having a giant hole in the centre of midfield.

seanfhear
04/09/2020, 5:50 PM
Midfield and holding onto possesion was always our bone of contention and now our salvation is to play with 3 up front :rolleyes:

When Bulgaria scored, most of the focus went on who made the last mistake, who can we blame, the useless so and so.
The first mistake was the suicidal cross field pass, bad mistakes in midfield can happen but then whatshisnameov received the ball in an acre of space and could deliver the peach perfect pass though the gap between the centre halfs, because we had no covering midfielder who would have been in that space ready to put pressure on him.
iI the 2 or 3 televised games i saw with Jack Byrne, he likes to receive the ball anywhere on the pitch. To claim he's not of the standard to play against Bulgaria or Slovakia for that matter doesn't make sense.
Wasn’t McCarthy the covering Midfielder that did not do the Covering. Ok once Hourihane gave away the ball it was easy peasy to go through the Irish Midfield.
McCarthy seemed interested at the start but for some reason he loses interest in playing for Ireland during games ! !

paul_oshea
04/09/2020, 6:02 PM

This is exactly what I feel too. He has shown already he is more than capable and with better players around he'll be better too as instinctively lads will know where to go, when to run and where to run. I just don't see how he fits into this system. Kenny will be mainly judged and benchmarked against his time at Dundalk and he never utilised this type of player. Whether that's because he didn't have that type of player or he didn't feel it fit in his system is a different question but the fact that Byrne wasn't even included in the squad it suggests the latter.

Bottle of Tonic
04/09/2020, 6:47 PM
Was very pleased with the passing and possession but the nature of our equaliser and ultimately the final result shows why there many ways to play football and score, none right or wrong as such and highlights why there are many managers out there like MON Trap and Mick who would have us setting up and playing in a certain way.

Bielsa´s irish
05/09/2020, 2:50 AM
if we are going to play 4-3-3 we need younger players around James McCarthy, he is irreplaceable. Hourihane is always nervous and Hendrick is hot and cold.

We need two young central midfielders and james McCarthy. Could be Cullen one.

-------------------------------------------randolph-----------------------------------------

coleman---------------------duffy----------------egan---------stevens (dont touch what is not broken).

----------------------------------browne ----------------------molumby
------------------------------------------james McCarthy ---------------------------------------

connolly-------------------------------long-------------------------------------mcclean

we need little bit of biting in midfield if we play 4-3-3

seanfhear
05/09/2020, 2:56 AM
if we are going to play 4-3-3 we need younger players around James McCarthy, he is irreplaceable. Hourihane is always nervous and Hendrick is hot and cold.

We need two young central midfielders and james McCarthy. Could be Cullen one.

-------------------------------------------randolph-----------------------------------------

coleman---------------------duffy----------------egan---------stevens (dont touch what is not broken).

----------------------------------browne ----------------------molumby
------------------------------------------james McCarthy ---------------------------------------

connolly-------------------------------long-------------------------------------mcclean

we need little bit of biting in midfield if we play 4-3-3
Did you mean semi-invisible for James McCarthy. He urns up for the games at the start and then he loses interest.

Bielsa´s irish
05/09/2020, 3:03 AM
Did you mean semi-invisible for James McCarthy. He urns up for the games at the start and then he loses interest.

He needs to roam around, mate. Two younger midfielders beside him. Or Arter for Hourihane, he is too nervous.

MancIrishWolf
05/09/2020, 8:21 AM
Overall, very encouraging performance. Connolly was tireless, Idah’s hold up play was very impressive for a 19 year old and O’Dowda strikes fear into defenders when running at pace (although is frustratingly inconsistent in games). Amazing how the naivety of youth can add some impetus into a team after years of turgid football.

Can’t help think though the game highlighted why a change of formation to a 3-4-3 is needed if we’re to get the best out of this team. Our most effective premier league players are wingbacks, yet they’re played as fullbacks. The game was crying out for crosses and cutbacks to get the best out of the front three - it feels like a boxer having a knock out punch in his artillery and not using it. Either roving forward leaves us dangerously susceptible at the back to the counter or cross field ball at the back as we found out on a few occasions in the first half. Clarke and O’Shea have big seasons a head of them and certainly wouldn’t be surprised to see the latter supersede Duffy in the next couple of years to become our best defensive leader since Dunne.

The current formation alternatively means we are loaded up in our weakest position where we are looking to find one top class midfielder, let alone three. All are “nice” midfielders, who despite showing the odd touch typically flattered to deceive, with not one terrier amongst them, the reason why the same formation has been so successful for Liverpool and the only way to stop our flat defence looking so exposed. That said, Molumby and Knight offer great hope for the future.

Great to see the team playing out from the back and faith given to the youth. Just hope the media give him more time and see his evident long term plan. Just hope he doesn’t stubbornly stick to this flat back four tenet of his game, if potentially more viable alternatives are available as it might be a case of adapt or die.

Olé Olé
05/09/2020, 8:25 AM
Johnny Giles and Eamon Dunphy were probably reaching with this point I'm going to share and I must watch it back. But they reckon that Bulgaria may not have scored their goal of Seamus was playing because he would have been flatter and would have communicated with Duffy and Egan. Very rhetorical.

They did say that Coleman should have started. Whilst Doherty is a fine player and great going forward, they felt Coleman was the pick to make in his first game as manager.

MancIrishWolf
05/09/2020, 8:41 AM
They’re probably right. Doherty is the better Wing back, but Coleman’s the better fullback. Doherty’s performances have been frustrating so far, especially seeing what he’s capable of on a weekly basis. Don’t think we’ll see the best of him until we give him license to attack.

youngirish
05/09/2020, 9:17 AM
if we are going to play 4-3-3 we need younger players around James McCarthy, he is irreplaceable.

The same James McCarthy who was by far our weakest midfielder against Bulgaria? The same James McCarthy who the majority of Crystal Palace fans are happy to sell to Leeds for a loss?

As Ricky Gervais says in Extras "Are you havin a laugh?". I honestly don't see the fascination with McCarthy on this forum. The only logical explanation I can think of is that because he hasn't played for so long people think he must be the answer to our long suffering midfield issues even though if they remembered when he did play regularly our midfield was just as bad if not worse.

Hopefully Molumby replaces him against Finland and we will see what he can offer. My guess would we substantially more as not only can he be the defensive, holding midfielder that McCarthy is supposed to excel at but rarely manages to do so. He can also offer something that McCarthy hasn't got in his game - some spark, drive and energy and the ability to impose himself on the opposing midfield.

brine3
05/09/2020, 12:37 PM
We don't deserve James McCarthy with posts like that

youngirish
05/09/2020, 12:41 PM
Good thoughtful response. Well argued. We don't deserve a bit part player for perennial Premier League strugglers Crystal Palace whose fans who watch him more than me and you (I would guess) are in the majority happy to sell him for a loss.

Really if that's Ireland's ceiling don't be expecting to go to any major final tournaments within the next few seasons.

seanfhear
05/09/2020, 2:20 PM
If ya want to play international football ya have to be prepared to take the potential hits that go with it. Perhaps he would be better concentrating on his club career. International football has not worked out for him so far anyway.

John83
05/09/2020, 2:22 PM
If ya want to play international football ya have to be prepared to take the potential hits that go with it. Perhaps he would be better concentrating on his club career. International football has not worked out for him so far anyway.
Yeah, he must look at the World Cups all his international teammates have won and think to himself, "What am I even doing here?"

kennedmc
05/09/2020, 2:30 PM
The same James McCarthy who was by far our weakest midfielder against Bulgaria? The same James McCarthy who the majority of Crystal Palace fans are happy to sell to Leeds for a loss?

As Ricky Gervais says in Extras "Are you havin a laugh?". I honestly don't see the fascination with McCarthy on this forum. The only logical explanation I can think of is that because he hasn't played for so long people think he must be the answer to our long suffering midfield issues even though if they remembered when he did play regularly our midfield was just as bad if not worse.

Hopefully Molumby replaces him against Finland and we will see what he can offer. My guess would we substantially more as not only can he be the defensive, holding midfielder that McCarthy is supposed to excel at but rarely manages to do so. He can also offer something that McCarthy hasn't got in his game - some spark, drive and energy and the ability to impose himself on the opposing midfield.

I think Coventry played the 'McCarthy role for the U21s not Molumby. Kenny seems to rate McCarthy for this role so I suppose it will take some time to see how it pans out.

I do find it strange though calling McCarthy out considering his competition is Hendrick, Arter, Hourihane, Brady etc. Our midfield has been pretty poor over the last 3 or 4 years and their performances at club level are average. They are all of a similar level and ability with some different attributes.

With Molumby and Knight etc coming through perhaps they can raise the bar.

youngirish
05/09/2020, 2:52 PM
I do find it strange though calling McCarthy out considering his competition is Hendrick, Arter, Hourihane, Brady etc. Our midfield has been pretty poor over the last 3 or 4 years and their performances at club level are average. They are all of a similar level and ability with some different attributes.
Then you didn't read the context of the initial post. I was replying to Bielsa because he stated he was irreplaceable which is ridiculous. I agree with you that he is a very average midfielder in a group of very average midfielders. The hyperbole about him by some on here astounds me. He could retire tomorrow and it would make no difference to the Irish midfield other than we've one less very average midfielder if someone gets injured, tired or suspended.

On a side note Cullen is having a great game for West Ham in their last pre-season friendly setting up both of their goals. If he gets Premiership game time this season maybe he can edge somebody out of the squad.

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2020/september/05-september/live-west-ham-united-v-afc-bournemouth.

Bielsa´s irish
05/09/2020, 3:36 PM
Then you didn't read the context of the initial post. I was replying to Bielsa because he stated he was irreplaceable which is ridiculous. I agree with you that he is a very average midfielder in a group of very average midfielders. The hyperbole about him by some on here astounds me. He could retire tomorrow and it would make no difference to the Irish midfield other than we've one less very average midfielder if someone gets injured, tired or suspended.

On a side note Cullen is having a great game for West Ham in their last pre-season friendly setting up both of their goals. If he gets Premiership game time this season maybe he can edge somebody out of the squad.

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2020/september/05-september/live-west-ham-united-v-afc-bournemouth.

i dont agree. I agree with Kenny. But for me McCarthy is better going forward than sitting centrally. I would play another younger fellow there. Even Darrah Lenihan could play there but Cullen or Browne there for me.
For me James McCarthy is a playmaker

seanfhear
05/09/2020, 3:37 PM
Yeah, he must look at the World Cups all his international teammates have won and think to himself, "What am I even doing here?"
He plays like “ What am I even doing here ? "

irishfan86
05/09/2020, 4:06 PM
My view on McCarthy is that he is a good all-rounder. He can tackle, he is positionally sound, and he can pass.

I think he isn’t as mobile due to the injuries he’s sustained, but if he is asked to shield the back four and be a deep lying part of our possession game, I think he can excel there.

I don’t think it has to be an either or for McCarthy/Molumby. I say you leave McCarthy to shield the back four, and Molumby to play the box-to-box role, as he’s got the legs and energy for that.

I really struggle with Hendrick and Hourihane. Hourihane can perhaps justify his inclusion based on his set piece delivery, but he can be so disappointing and pedestrian at times. Hendrick similarly just continues to look to pass the buck rather than take initiative.

I understand Kenny’s decision to stick with more established players as we approach Slovakia. Hopefully they can raise their game or the younger lads can force the case with their own performances.

seanfhear
05/09/2020, 4:33 PM
My view on McCarthy is that he is a good all-rounder. He can tackle, he is positionally sound, and he can pass.

I think he isn’t as mobile due to the injuries he’s sustained, but if he is asked to shield the back four and be a deep lying part of our possession game, I think he can excel there.

I don’t think it has to be an either or for McCarthy/Molumby. I say you leave McCarthy to shield the back four, and Molumby to play the box-to-box role, as he’s got the legs and energy for that.

I really struggle with Hendrick and Hourihane. Hourihane can perhaps justify his inclusion based on his set piece delivery, but he can be so disappointing and pedestrian at times. Hendrick similarly just continues to look to pass the buck rather than take initiative.

I understand Kenny’s decision to stick with more established players as we approach Slovakia. Hopefully they can raise their game or the younger lads can force the case with their own performances.
Certainly looks like some of these Fellas Need to be put under pressure for their places.

Diggs246
05/09/2020, 4:48 PM

100% correct. Hourihane is awful and jeff not far behind... I would drop them both. But conor first. Re his set pieces I think his corners are woeful

Olé Olé
05/09/2020, 5:50 PM
I think Hendrick is getting Whelan-like flak- some will have a pop regardless of the performance. I thought he was really good Thursday. He was really good especially when you consider his midfield partners didn't make much impact on the game whilst he tried really hard and showed flashes of quality.

youngirish
05/09/2020, 5:52 PM
I think Hendrick is getting Whelan-like flak- some will have a pop regardless of the performance. I thought he was really good Thursday. He was really good especially when you consider his midfield partners didn't make much impact on the game whilst he tried really hard and showed flashes of quality.

I agree. Hendrick for me is a superior player to McCarthy.