PDA

View Full Version : Bulgaria V Republic of Ireland - Thursday, 3rd September 2020 - UEFA Nations League

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

DeLorean
25/08/2020, 9:48 AM
His attitude/professionalism has been criticised by Hasenhüttl too.

DeLorean
25/08/2020, 10:50 AM
Full press conference from yesterday here:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJJEsweu0ow

brine3
25/08/2020, 11:19 AM
Think we’ll be waiting for the September rule change...

What's that about? I thought he qualified for us easy...

Diggs246
25/08/2020, 11:19 AM
From that, Arter will start anyway in the holding role

I will give him credit, he is the first Irish manager that didn't bit*h about "having no time with the players" etc etc

brine3
25/08/2020, 11:21 AM
When he wasn't called up he tweeted "disgrace" then deleted it and replaced it with "interesting! sic smiley face confused face emojis

Hopefully Kenny has been on to him in private and had a stern but fair word with him... but without making it public.

The likes of Trap, O'Neill and McCarthy would do something foolish like call him out publicly at a press conference.

Diggs246
25/08/2020, 11:28 AM
Hopefully Kenny has been on to him in private and had a stern but fair word with him... but without making it public.

The likes of Trap, O'Neill and McCarthy would do something foolish like call him out publicly at a press conference.

If Ofafemi refuses a call into the U21s we know what we have on our hands

DeLorean
25/08/2020, 11:29 AM
I will give him credit, he is the first Irish manager that didn't bit*h about "having no time with the players" etc etc

Absolutely, the complete opposite!

"We’ve got really good defenders, you know, I think we’ve got potentially a really creative, dynamic midfield and we’ve got cutting edge forwards"

ColourfulPeanut
25/08/2020, 11:30 AM
Any word on the new kit/kit provider? The New Balance deal is 3 years old now and there was a distinct lack of their branding yesterday but that could be due to the new hat deal. Almost everything New Balance is half price on the FAI store at the minute too.

I'm still holding out hope the next one will be sold without a sponsor with 3 ending their sponsorship.

kennedmc
25/08/2020, 4:19 PM
When he wasn't called up he tweeted "disgrace" then deleted it and replaced it with "interesting! sic smiley face confused face emojis

Pretty minor offence there!

The Southampton manager has questioned his attitude a few times but has still picked him over 20 times and Obafemi has delivered with some goals and assists too. He is far from finished product but will be interesting to see how he progresses.

Bielsa´s irish
25/08/2020, 5:46 PM
Kenny pretty much said that James McCarthy will be the playmaker of his tenure

Bielsa´s irish
25/08/2020, 5:49 PM
I can see Cullen and that Molumby playing off him in the future. That Sykes is also a central mid.

Diggs246
27/08/2020, 1:23 PM
https://www.the42.ie/dubravka-doubtful-ireland-play-off-5187915-Aug2020/

DeLorean
30/08/2020, 3:15 PM
Press Conference earlier today...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrdysyOt4-U&feature=youtu.be

Olé Olé
31/08/2020, 6:03 AM
Informed my how bad Bulgaria were in Dublin and buoyed by a sense of optimism, I have had a wager on Ireland at 13/10. Not sure if I'm even mad to have a nibble on us minus 1 at 4/1.

I will admit it isn't great that Kenny will only have two training sessions with the lads but I'm sure there has been and will be numerous tactical sessions.

Expected line up for me is
Randolph/ Coleman, Duffy, Egan, Stevens/ McCarthy or After, Hendrick, Hourihane/ Long, Idah and Connolly.

I would also say there's every chance Doherty replaces Coleman, Molumby for Hourihane and either Brady or McClean for Long. If he doesn't fancy Idah centre forward in McGoldrick's absence then Long could feature there.

elatedscum
31/08/2020, 6:17 AM
Expected line up for me is:
Randolph/ Doherty, Duffy, Egan, Stevens/ McCarthy or Arter, Hendrick, Hourihane/ Long, McClean and Connolly.

Could obviously see the Doherty/Coleman go either way but his language in the press conference made me think it was gonna be Doherty but just guessing. Think he'll start with Long up top, and he'll play Connolly out wide. He talked about holding up the ball and probably only Idah and Long are capable of doing that by themselves.

Suspect he's more likely to bring Idah off the bench. If he's comfortable playing Connolly wide right, then I think he'll start McClean wide left and Long up top. If he's not, then it's McClean and Connolly vying for wide left and Long and Idah for the centre and Long and Robinson for wide right. Could also see Molumby come into the midfield.

Really looking forward to the game...

Eirambler
31/08/2020, 7:01 AM
Randolph
Coleman(/Doherty)
Duffy
Egan
Stevens
Arter
Molumby(/Hendrick)
Hourihane
Robinson(/Long)
Idah
Connolly(/McClean/Robinson)

I'd say that's the basis of the team with probably four or five spots up for debate.

Coleman is captain so I'd say he'll hold on the the right back spot for now, it will continue to be very close between him and Doherty though.

Molumby will push hard for Hendrick's spot in midfield, personally I'd go with Molumby, it's long past time to mix up our midfield a bit. Hourihane stays in the team - if nothing else he is needed for set pieces. With Molumby and Arter working hard behind him and both hopefully being an improvement on Whelan and Hendrick it might give Hourihane the freedom to create a bit more in attack.

I'm not 100% sure he sees Long as a centre forward, in the same way he doesn't see Obafemi as a centre forward. I'd say Long is possibly competing with Robinson for the right sided forward position. That might be the closest call of the lot. Robinson would also be in the mix with McClean and Connolly for the left position. With McGoldrick and Parrott out that would leave Idah and Maguire, or possibly Long at a stretch, competing for the centre forward spot, so I think he might start Idah.

I think he may go Robinson/Idah/Connolly up front with Long and McClean to come on in the second half.

I like the look of the team overall.

paul_oshea
31/08/2020, 7:32 AM
Coleman could go right wing and Doherty right back

Olé Olé
31/08/2020, 7:49 AM
Interesting to see myself, Eirambler and elatedscum have all been largely in agreement regarding the side and, where we haven't been, we have conceded in our notes after that the likely rotations are largely similar. I would concur with or Be fairly positive regarding the combinations both of ye have set out.

It's amazing to see Irish fans largely assured that the manager is going to go with sensible selections and consensus can form on same. I remember my head being in my hands too many times going to match upon hearing the team announced.

Olé Olé
31/08/2020, 7:50 AM
Coleman could go right wing and Doherty right back

So, you're saying he'll be right of the front three or he'll be right of the middle three? The former is too advanced and the latter is too narrow for Seamus is in my view.

Eirambler
31/08/2020, 8:08 AM
Coleman as right wing forward in a 4-3-3? I can't see that at all. If he was going to try something like that he'd push Doherty up, but he won't do that either.

In a 4-4-2 you could just about find a way to get Coleman and Doherty on the field at the same time. But it doesn't work at all in a 4-3-3/4-5-1, which we know is Kenny's setup.

Stuttgart88
31/08/2020, 8:17 AM
So, you're saying he'll be right of the front three or he'll be right of the middle three? The former is too advanced and the latter is too narrow for Seamus is in my view.yep, I don't think there'll be a "wing" position. If 442 it'd make more sense.

Either way I hope Kenny doesn't try to force big name players onto the pitch just to get them on. Balance and purpose will be critical in getting it right. Newspaper suggestions are that Hendrick will be given an attacking role. Right side of a narrow midfield 3 makes sense to me and would be my pick.

Diggs246
31/08/2020, 9:07 AM
Did he not say Coleman will remain as captain ( surely he will play then) and he also said Doherty hasn't been treated right to date and should have way more caps
Sounds to me they are both starting no?

Exgrad
31/08/2020, 10:03 AM
Doherty is just back off a three week holiday, Wolves season only finished a few weeks back. Really cant see that its likely he'll start after two training sessions and minimal fitness work. Guaranteed an injury if he does.

Diggs246
31/08/2020, 10:58 AM
What what this if he is playing 4-3-3??

Coleman Duffy Egan Stevens

Molumby Arter Jeff

Doherty long Connolly

DeLorean
31/08/2020, 11:07 AM
I'm assuming this is actually televised but I don't see it on any of the listings?

DeLorean
31/08/2020, 11:10 AM
If he's comfortable playing Connolly wide right, then I think he'll start McClean wide left and Long up top. If he's not, then it's McClean and Connolly vying for wide left and Long and Idah for the centre and Long and Robinson for wide right.

Would much prefer the latter, with Connolly getting the nod on the left.

Yard of Pace
31/08/2020, 11:13 AM
It's amazing to see Irish fans largely assured that the manager is going to go with sensible selections and consensus can form on same. I remember my head being in my hands too many times going to match upon hearing the team announced.

It really is amazing. I don't think I remember even a squad where every single player, I am happy is in it.

Additional call-ups being also fine.

What is this madness?

Maybe the FAI, defined as they are by chaos and anarchy, have decided that as the rest of the world is now in this state, it was time for them to appoint a manager who is level-headed, no-bull and has us all in a state of placid contentment.

(That he was appointed before Covid is one for the non-sheeple, I suppose...)

CraftyToePoke
31/08/2020, 12:15 PM
I'm assuming this is actually televised but I don't see it on any of the listings?

Sky have it
Listed here - https://www.live-footballontv.com/
Handy site

Diggs246
31/08/2020, 12:24 PM
Also looks like james McCarthy is ok folks!! So we can all change our team selections

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/0831/1162310-st-patricks-athletic-trio-train-with-ireland-squad/

Stuttgart88
31/08/2020, 3:37 PM
Randolph
Doc----Duffy----Egan----Stevens
Hendrick - JMcC - Hourihane (though I fancy Brady in that role)
Long - Idah - Connolly

Serious pace and running power in the forward 3.

Also fits with a prediction I made ages ago that I didn't see any more than 5 current U21s in the squad, with maybe only 1 starting:)

I think McGoldrick will play when fit. I don't have huge conviction about McCarthy. I like what Cullen does in that role and would like to see Molumby play there too.

Can Molumby play tight right in the role I've given Hendrick above?

I don't have huge conviction in my Hourihane pick either, but he does things that others can't. A fit and in form Brady would get the nod for me, but when has he been either recently?

McClean and Maguire could feature as subs, and both Long and Connolly can play in two of the front three positions I think.

Eirambler
31/08/2020, 5:37 PM
Kelleher called up to the seniors. I guess Max O'Leary isn't really in the discussion then as a potential backup keeper for us.

Philly
31/08/2020, 6:40 PM
Sky have it
Listed here - https://www.live-footballontv.com/
Handy site

They don't list it on their own site, or on their guide on Sky: https://www.skysports.com/watch/football-on-sky

Weird - nothing online anywhere about showing it.

Closed Account
31/08/2020, 8:02 PM
They don't list it on their own site, or on their guide on Sky: https://www.skysports.com/watch/football-on-sky

It's on BNT 1 if you have an IPTV subscription and you're stuck.
https://bnt.bg/program

Eirambler
31/08/2020, 8:21 PM
It will 100% be on one of the Sky channels. They show all the Nations League games they have rights to, even the likes of Andorra v Kosovo get shown on the red button with commentary.

geysir
31/08/2020, 9:20 PM
It looks like Kenny will be developing a competitive team on the hoof in the two live games, played over 3 or so days.
It's probably the most difficult task undertaken by an Ireland manager, considering the training preparations are well restricted, the run in period just about phone calls and 2 big games in a few weeks time which will define our level of participation at Euro 2021
I thought Kenny would be moaning more about that (somehow I associate Dublin acccents with tendency to moan) but it sounds as if he's just making the best out of it, approaching the task with total positivity.
Here's to balancing expectations with excitement.

irishfan86
31/08/2020, 9:33 PM
RE: TV, I don’t know what the situation is in Ireland or the UK, but I believe only legal viewing option in Canada is through UEFA.tv, but I have no idea what a per-game subscription costs.

nigel-harps1954
01/09/2020, 9:18 AM
It's on Sky Sports with deferred coverage on Virgin Media in Ireland as far as I'm aware.

zero
01/09/2020, 9:19 AM
It's on sky sports football https://www.skysports.com/football-fixtures whatever that is. One of many variants.

I'll be streaming it in any case...

Diggs246
01/09/2020, 10:15 AM
Thank God. I had to beg for a hall pass from the wife to meet the lads in the pub. If it wasn't on tv that would have broken my heart

DeLorean
01/09/2020, 11:27 AM

Sky have updated their guide now - 7pm coverage starts on Thursday, Sky Sports Football, as Zero mentioned.

geysir
01/09/2020, 2:48 PM
This is a definitive guide (https://liveonsat.com/international-uefa-nations-league.php) to tv /sat/stream coverage of matches and is user friendly.

Olé Olé
01/09/2020, 5:01 PM
This is a definitive guide (https://liveonsat.com/international-uefa-nations-league.php) to tv /sat/stream coverage of matches and is user friendly.

But it says the match is on RTE and RTE are saying the match is not on RTE?

geysir
01/09/2020, 7:47 PM
But it says the match is on RTE and RTE are saying the match is not on RTE?

Then it's the almost definitive guide to tv/sat schedules.

Littlest Hobo
02/09/2020, 1:46 AM
Would like to see Kenny try 4-3-3

Randolph

Coleman, Duffy, Egan, Stevens

McCarthy, Hendrick, Hourihane

Doherty, Long, Connolly

Bielsa´s irish
02/09/2020, 2:12 AM
Would like to see Kenny try 4-3-3

Randolph

Coleman, Duffy, Egan, Stevens

McCarthy, Hendrick, Hourihane

Doherty, Long, Connolly

randy

coleman duffy egan stevens

doherty mccarthy brady

odowda long mcclean

Olé Olé
02/09/2020, 7:15 AM
Dan McDonnell went with his best guess of a starting 11 on OTB last night. Generally, a decently informed and connected source on Irish football and Kenny. He's going with the following (though based a lot on guesswork more than information);
Randolph
Doherty Egan Duffy Stevens
Hendrick McCarthy Hourihane
Robinson Idah McClean

He referred to Connolly, Coleman and Long as options. Maybe O'Dowda too for Robinson.

He referred specifically to the Connolly and McClean conundrum and how Kenny may adapt that position depending on the opposition. If we are concerned with an attacking right flank by Slovakia, then this is the game where he might start McClean as an audition for Slovakia.

backstothewall
02/09/2020, 8:15 AM
------------- Randolph ------------

Doherty - Duffy - Egan - Stevens

Molumby - McCarthy - Hourihane

O'Dowda - McGoldrick - Connolly

Olé Olé
02/09/2020, 10:35 AM
------------- Randolph ------------

Doherty - Duffy - Egan - Stevens

Molumby - McCarthy - Hourihane

O'Dowda - McGoldrick - Connolly

McGoldrick is injured for Bulgaria.

jbyrne
02/09/2020, 10:58 AM
i think all those omitting coleman from their dream teams are forgetting that SK has already confirmed he will be his captain and that colemans form this year has been quite good.
pretty sure coleman will start thursday

DeLorean
02/09/2020, 11:01 AM
I can see Coleman and Doherty getting match each, with Coleman more likely to play in the first one.