PDA

View Full Version : Bulgaria V Republic of Ireland - Thursday, 3rd September 2020 - UEFA Nations League

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

backstothewall
24/08/2020, 10:35 AM
Ireland squad v Bulgaria and Finland

Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph (West Ham United), Mark Travers (Bournemouth), Kieran O’Hara (unattached)

Defenders: Seamus Coleman (Everton), Matt Doherty (Wolves), Enda Stevens (Sheffield United), Shane Duffy (Brighton and Hove Albion), John Egan (Sheffield United), Darragh Lenihan (Blackburn Rovers).

Midfielders: James McCarthy (Crystal Palace), Harry Arter (Fulham), Jeff Hendrick (unattached), Alan Browne (Preston North End), Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), Jayson Molumby (Brighton and Hove Albion), Robbie Brady (Burnley).

Forwards: Callum Robinson (Sheffield United), Callum O’Dowda (Bristol City), James McClean (Stoke City), Aaron Connolly (Brighton and Hove Albion), Adam Idah (Norwich City), Troy Parrott (Tottenham Hotspur – on loan at Millwall), Shane Long (Southampton).

Note: David McGoldrick (Sheffield United) will join the squad for the Finland game.

Diggs246
24/08/2020, 10:43 AM
Josh Cullen. Will smallbone and obafemi
Should be in... I'm happy troy is in nice surprise there

Fixer82
24/08/2020, 10:47 AM
Very few defenders

Olé Olé
24/08/2020, 10:50 AM
Josh Cullen. Will smallbone and obafemi
Should be in... I'm happy troy is in nice surprise there

I would be disappointed if I were Obafemi and I had scored goals against United and Chelsea and played far more games in the league than Parrott and Idah combined. Is he injured?

Cullen was probably a 50/50 with Molumby. Smallbone has plenty time.

Fixer82
24/08/2020, 10:52 AM
Hope the new jersey is better than the rugby counterpart which is truly horrific

https://www.elverys.ie/elverys/en/Elverys/Rugby/Ireland-Rugby-Jersey-%7C-Shop-Irish-Rugby-%7C-Elverys/Canterbury-IRFU-2020-Pro-Home-Jersey,-Green/p/000000001105308002?gclid=CjwKCAjwyo36BRAXEiwA24CwG fiOwfe27A4bSyZxOHZ9Ijzdz4YH8db-h2nnGzVndXpSxq1gdySPQBoCe-IQAvD_BwE

Eirambler
24/08/2020, 10:56 AM
A few surprises there. Thought it might be too soon for Parrott and Idah but it's good that Kenny thinks they are ready. No Cullen is a surprise. Thought he'd include O'Shea as the defence looks light on cover and he plays right across the back four.

Thought he would include Byrne also to keep the LoI fans happy, but he's clearly picking on merit as he sees it, which is good.

Diggs246
24/08/2020, 11:05 AM
I would be disappointed if I were Obafemi and I had scored goals against United and Chelsea and played far more games in the league than Parrott and Idah combined. Is he injured?

Cullen would just bring so much more to the party then Browne. And I would have went with smallbone ahead of odowda

tetsujin1979
24/08/2020, 11:36 AM
Squad details

passinginterest
24/08/2020, 11:54 AM
Interesting squad. Is it a 3-5-2 squad given the limited number of defenders? Or a 3-4-2-1, or 3-4-1-2? Brady and McClean could be wing back cover, Coleman as a right sided defender in the back 3? Otherwise, it's just a statement that the same back 4 is likely to start both games and Kenny is happy to have one full back and one centre back on the bench? Obafemi, Jack Byrne and Dara O'Shea maybe the most controversial omissions?

zero
24/08/2020, 11:57 AM
cullen and obafemi surprise omissions. i guess any of mccarthy, arter and molumby can do the defensive midfield job so maybe that's the thinking there.

idah and parrott ahead of oba (unless injured) is notable.

tetsujin1979
24/08/2020, 12:17 PM

Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph (West Ham United), Mark Travers (Bournemouth), Kieran O’Hara (unattached)

Defenders: Seamus Coleman (Everton), Matt Doherty (Wolves), Enda Stevens (Sheffield United), Shane Duffy (Brighton and Hove Albion), John Egan (Sheffield United), Darragh Lenihan (Blackburn Rovers).

Midfielders: James McCarthy (Crystal Palace), Harry Arter (Fulham), Jeff Hendrick (unattached), Alan Browne (Preston North End), Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), Jayson Molumby (Brighton and Hove Albion), Robbie Brady (Burnley).

Forwards: Callum Robinson (Sheffield United), Callum O’Dowda (Bristol City), James McClean (Stoke City), Aaron Connolly (Brighton and Hove Albion), Adam Idah (Norwich City), Troy Parrott (Tottenham Hotspur – on loan at Millwall), Shane Long (Southampton).

Note: David McGoldrick (Sheffield United) will join the squad for the Finland game.

Do the FAI know something we (and possibly Bournemouth) don't?

Stuttgart88
24/08/2020, 12:24 PM
Disapponted that there is no room for Cullen or Byrne, but Molumby is a welcome and expected inclusion.

Good to see McCarthy and Long back.

Robinson was excellent in WBA's last game but he needs to take this chance to impress. O'Dowda too.

Parrott and Idah over Obafemi is a value judgment I can live with. Defence as expected for me. O'Hara lucky to be ahead of O'Leary.

Overall I'm a little underwhelmed. I wasn't expecting wholesale changes but I'm struggling to agree with all the midfield / forward selections. Of course the first team selections will be critical, and the performances.

Diggs246
24/08/2020, 12:36 PM
Good point. With no mcgoldrick for Bulgaria. What will our attacking line up be?

zero
24/08/2020, 12:49 PM
I didn't notice first time around (which says it all) but Sean Maguire misses out too. If he can find his goalscoring touch he'll get back in I'm sure. I am a bit surprised about Idah to be honest, but I guess that u21 connection is significant.

In terms of formation I would expect the 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 - maybe Long through the middle, with Connolly and Robinson/McClean?

He could go with Idah through the middle though which gives a better balance...

Olé Olé
24/08/2020, 1:09 PM
A little childish by Obafemi: https://twitter.com/michaelobafemi_/status/1297863686036566020?s=19

Diggs246
24/08/2020, 1:14 PM
He should have been picked. But dont be a lemon about it. Call kenny and chat about it. Dont show that u cant spell and are a baby

Fixer82
24/08/2020, 1:18 PM
A little childish by Obafemi: https://twitter.com/michaelobafemi_/status/1297863686036566020?s=19

Shame he can’t spell too 🤦🏼*♂️

jbyrne
24/08/2020, 1:35 PM
its hardly a surprise that idah and parrott are picked ahead of him given that has been the case to date for the u21s. it appears parrott is only included due to mcgoldricks unavailability for bulgaria

Eirambler
24/08/2020, 1:37 PM
To be fair Obafemi has generally been seen as being behind the likes of Parrott and Idah at underage level, even though he's older than both. I'm happy enough to leave him with the under 21s for now, other than maybe to cynically cap him again just because of the new rules.

Diggs246
24/08/2020, 1:45 PM
its hardly a surprise that idah and parrott are picked ahead of him given that has been the case to date for the u21s. it appears parrott is only included due to mcgoldricks unavailability for bulgaria

But it should be a surprise, since the last u21 game(s) things have happened.
Obafemi is a premier league player and goal scorer. We know for a fact he can do the business against some of the best teams in the world ( man utd and Chelsea)
He is also one of the fastest players in the league. I accept he is far from the finished article but he should be in the squad.

passinginterest
24/08/2020, 1:54 PM
I wonder is there a bit of an issue with him not getting along with some of the other players too? Someone dragged up this "what am I seeing" quote from Connolly when Obafemi was first in the senior squad https://twitter.com/EamonnDonohoe/status/1297891365297233920

Kenny has worked with Parrot, Idah and Obafemi, three completely different players. Kenny has spoken about picking the squad with a particular system in mind, so they wouldn't be directly competing with each other. Parrot is a 10, Idah is a true centre forward (although effective wide too), Obafemi is more a wide forward, where there's arguably more competition with established senior players (Robinson, McClean, Connolly). Parrot seems to be in for McGoldrick, O'Dowda possibly seen as the other option in that role. Idah presumably competing with Long from the central role. Obafemi doesn't have the physicality of Long or Idah, although he could be a central forward too, just for a different system.

Fixer82
24/08/2020, 2:11 PM
There is a thing that people often overlook in group dynamic.
Some players may just not mix well with the group or bring as much to the group off the pitch as others.

Of course, in this case it's harder to know as it's Kenny's first squad.

I'd have thought Obafemi was a shoe-in but not happy with his attitude online.
Having said that, footballers being petulant is nothing new and I wouldn't hold it against him for too long.

At least it shows he's eager.

SkStu
24/08/2020, 2:32 PM
Its about as progressive a squad as we could have hoped for really in the circumstances and there's something for everyone in there. Its not all roses but its a fine squad.

Defenders - about as expected but a little light on defenders here. Its difficult to know what the thinking behind that is and theres no one in midfield, say, that you could even identify could cover our centre back positions if we were in a bind.

Midfield - its good to see Molumby in there and hes there on merit. McCarthy back too is great to see. Arter coming back is interesting but we probably knew it was coming. Not sure if McCarthy and Arter in there ahead of Cullen is a good long term play but no real complaints.

Forwrds - I thought Obafemi would be a shoo-in to be honest. While SK says hes not married to any system, its a real horses for courses selection up front with a 1 and 2 for each forward position. Oba would have given something a little different and allowed SK to change the system if it wasnt working in a particular game. I'd have had him there ahead of Parrott. I like Callum O'Dowda but he is really fortunate to have made the cut and i think Robinson's versatility stands to him too in terms of this selection.

zero
24/08/2020, 2:39 PM
SK explains his rationale:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/hes-not-played-that-role-much-stephen-kenny-explains-tactical-rationale-behind-obafemi-omission-39473362.html

tetsujin1979
24/08/2020, 2:46 PM
Bulgaria announced their squad for the game against us, and Wales: https://bfunion.bg/news/47008/0

Goalkeepers: Nikolay Mihailov (Levski), Georgi Georgiev (Black Sea), Martin Lukov (Lokomotiv Plovdiv);

Defenders: Petar Zanev (CSKA-Sofia), Strahil Popov (Hatayspor), Vasil Bozhikov (Slovan Bratislava), Anton Nedyalkov (Ludogorets), Christian Dimitrov (Hajduk Split), Ivan Goranov (Charloroa), Cicinho (Ludogorets), Viktor Popov ( Black Sea), Stanislav Rabotov (Botev Plovdiv);

Midfielders: Georgi Kostadinov (Arsenal Tula), Todor Nedelev (Botev Plovdiv), Kristian Malinov (Leuven), Alexander Tsvetkov (Beroe), Galin Ivanov (CSKA 1948), Yanis Karabelov (Slavia), Birsent Karagaren (Lokomotiv Plovdiv), Svetoslav (Arda), Filip Krastev (Slavia);

Forwards: Dimitar Iliev (Lokomotiv Plovdiv), Bozhidar Kraev (Midtjylland), Spas Delev (Arda), Ismail Isa (Black Sea).

The Bulgarian FA's wiki page has been updated with this squad, and the relevant information for each player - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgaria_national_football_team#Players

Razors left peg
24/08/2020, 4:21 PM
I dont agree with all the squad but the debate about so many different players making it or not shows that there is genuine competition for places, and that will only get more fierce in next few years the way the younger players are coming through.

Bielsa´s irish
24/08/2020, 8:36 PM
I think we are a bit thin at the back. Kevin Long should be added or that other kid Dara O'shea from WBA. This means Doherty will be a defender

In midfield I would have added Cullen and Manning

up front we have options.

Bielsa´s irish
24/08/2020, 8:39 PM

Yes I thought the same. But Obafemi will get a chance next round

CraftyToePoke
24/08/2020, 8:44 PM
Where were you all day Bielsa ? Your thread, your squad, your moment and no sign of you.

Or Sheridan

Siesta time I suppose, was it ?

Bielsa´s irish
24/08/2020, 8:47 PM

Kevin Long and Jack Byrne on stand by list. Ciaran Clark injured.

Bielsa´s irish
24/08/2020, 8:54 PM
Where were you all day Bielsa ? Your thread, your squad, your moment and no sign of you.

Or Sheridan

Siesta time I suppose, was it ?

hahaha no nap at all.

I was doing zoom classroom with my students at the university. Sheridan for Idah, could have been better, Idah is too young, weve got Parrott and Connolly. Parrott is not a 10, he is a goalscorer.

Manning as well. Manning is someone I really rate but as a midfielder, maybe its between him and O'Dowda, hope Odowda take this chance.

It was a flip coin between Cullen or Molumby.

Maybe Sean McDermott but he is listed injured

geysir
24/08/2020, 9:17 PM
Mostly homebased players in the Bulgarian squad and they have no players attached to any club in the big leagues.

With us, I don't know what to make of the squad Kenny picked, it's all about how he sets the team up to play.
But could we be making a return to the revolutionary retro christmas tree formation of Mick's mid 1990's Ireland?

tetsujin1979
24/08/2020, 9:41 PM
hahaha no nap at all.

I was doing zoom classroom with my students at the university. Sheridan for Idah, could have been better, Idah is too young, weve got Parrott and Connolly. Parrott is not a 10, he is a goalscorer.

Manning as well. Manning is someone I really rate but as a midfielder, maybe its between him and O'Dowda, hope Odowda take this chance.

Bielsa, I warned you already about the random capitals routine from YBIG, the same applies to applying the bold style at random

Fixer82
24/08/2020, 9:41 PM
hahaha no nap at all.

Why aren't you shouting O'Dowda's name?

Bielsa´s irish
24/08/2020, 10:04 PM
Bielsa, I warned you already about the random capitals routine from YBIG, the same applies to applying the bold style at random

sorry its my journalist's approach

didnt mean to bug you.

no caps no bold nor italics. Ok

lets cut to the chase.... i mean football talk

Bielsa´s irish
24/08/2020, 10:06 PM
Why aren't you shouting O'Dowda's name?

thank you! my thistle!

Fixer82
24/08/2020, 10:15 PM
thank you! my thistle!

Ar aghaidh leat a mhac! Scaoil amach an bobailín!

Diggs246
24/08/2020, 10:16 PM
I'm of the belief we will beat both Bulgaria and Finland.. but I've an awful feeling Slovakia will do us. Which is really the only game that we need to win

elatedscum
25/08/2020, 12:13 AM
anyone know what the story is with 3? Wasn't the deal supposed to come to an end in July of 2020?

samhaydenjr
25/08/2020, 1:13 AM
He should have been picked. But dont be a lemon about it. Call kenny and chat about it. Dont show that u cant spell and are a baby

When Hassenhuttl chided him for being unprofessional, I think this may have been the type of thing he was referring to, because he made a point of saying that Obafemi works hard at the same time and it was just after he had complained publicly about not getting enough game time.

But it should be a surprise, since the last u21 game(s) things have happened.
Obafemi is a premier league player and goal scorer. We know for a fact he can do the business against some of the best teams in the world ( man utd and Chelsea)
He is also one of the fastest players in the league. I accept he is far from the finished article but he should be in the squad.

Agree fully with this, though - Obafemi is ready to go - has done as well as Connolly this season plus his pace is a serious weapon. I feel Idah is on the verge of a big breakthrough but I'd like to see it happen before making him the focal point of some serious games - this applies even more to Parrott

samhaydenjr
25/08/2020, 1:39 AM
Agree fully with this, though - Obafemi is ready to go - has done as well as Connolly this season plus his pace is a serious weapon. I feel Idah is on the verge of a big breakthrough but I'd like to see it happen before making him the focal point of some serious games - this applies even more to Parrott

Of course, as soon as I typed that, I found this:

elatedscum
25/08/2020, 2:58 AM
Of course, as soon as I typed that, I found this:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1297934482780172290

in more disappointing news, they just sign Jordan Hugill from West Ham. £5m fee touted for a guy who West Ham sign for upwards of 10m in 2018. Not huge money but he's a proven championship player who you'd have to imagine they're buying to play. Pukki is also still on their books...

tommy_c12000
25/08/2020, 3:31 AM
Kenny clearly not convinced by Obafemi, and I don’t blame him. He has been underwhelming in his Irish U21 appearances, and I haven’t been overly impressed with him with Southampton this season, his goals vs Chelsea and United apart. I like the call, let’s see how he responds, his attitude is clearly an issue so this is a nice early test for him. A good motivating factor.

Surprised by O’Dowda, don’t see it. Other than that it’s a nice blend of exciting youth and experience. Future squads will only get stronger, still a lot of very average joes in there

Olé Olé
25/08/2020, 5:10 AM
Is O'Dowda a tactical call? Is he someone who can play on the left of the midfield 3 and left of the forward 3? Although he has a few more options for those spots.

O'Dowda has had a turbulent time at club level. He clearly had a few clashes with Lee Johnson. It will be interesting to see if he can kick on at long last now that Johnson has been moved on. Kenny might see something in him. I've liked O'Dowda myself too but he has a lot to prove and, given the bit of competition in the squad, I think he is under pressure to start providing himself.

Jason Knight, for example, can probably cover similar positions to O'Dowda.

ColourfulPeanut
25/08/2020, 8:40 AM
Yeah I don't see what O'Dowda offers at all to be honest. He's 25 now and hasn't really developed at all. We're not lacking in left-footed wide players or set pieces either.

I don't know why he was picked.

brine3
25/08/2020, 8:46 AM
Any word on Dan Crowley? Seems to have played the whole season with Birmingham City

elatedscum
25/08/2020, 9:07 AM
Yeah I don't see what O'Dowda offers at all to be honest. He's 25 now and hasn't really developed at all. We're not lacking in left-footed wide players or set pieces either.

I don't know why he was picked.

To a certain extent, the first squad is a bit of a free pass unless there is something outrageously egregious. I’d have had Byrne, Cullen and Maguire in my squad but they’re all marginal calls. Asking a lot of the kids (Troy, Adam) but he’s seen them more than anyone else, so he’s best to make that call...

O’Dowda has always been pretty good for ireland I think. Wouldn’t have been in my squad of 23, but he’s probably ahead of other available wide players who missed out: Curtis, Duffy, Horgan, Harness. I guess Ogbene isn’t eligible yet... He can dribble at players, he’s intelligent and he has quick feet. There’s a lot to like, if he hasn’t really developed in the way you’d have hoped over the last 4 years...

elatedscum
25/08/2020, 9:08 AM
Any word on Dan Crowley? Seems to have played the whole season with Birmingham City

Think we’ll be waiting for the September rule change...

backstothewall
25/08/2020, 9:22 AM
his attitude is clearly an issue so this is a nice early test for him. A good motivating factor.

You're going to have to explain that one. What i see is a kid who has forced his way into the premier league team, and was immensely proud when he made his debut for us. It's very unclear to me what the issue is with his attitude.

Diggs246
25/08/2020, 9:29 AM
You're going to have to explain that one. What i see is a kid who has forced his way into the premier league team, and was immensely proud when he made his debut for us. It's very unclear to me what the issue is with his attitude.

When he wasn't called up he tweeted "disgrace" then deleted it and replaced it with "interesting! sic smiley face confused face emojis