PDA

View Full Version : Strachan and McGeady

Greenbod
03/06/2005, 9:41 AM
I remember some time ago seeing Strachan in his pundit role on TV. He was asked about McGeady and couldn't conceal his absolute disgust for the lad's decision to opt for Ireland over Scotland.

Hope Strachan is mature enough not to let his contempt for this decision affect their club relationship. I'd hate to see McGeady out in the cold next season.

dr_peepee
03/06/2005, 10:14 AM
His dusgust is obviously disapointment because of how much talent he has. It won't affect their club relationship

ColinR
03/06/2005, 10:23 AM
it was all a bit light hearted - he was saying to lawrenson - 'what do you need him for, sure you have duff, we (scotland) have no-one'

(better bring him to the faroes and cap him just in case ;)

Sliogán Dóite
03/06/2005, 11:41 AM
Think he was capped against Croatia wasn't he?
He's definitely one of our most promising players if not hte most promising.
Who would McGeady move to if he were to leave Celtic?
Not Man Utd, well not yet anyway, look at what happened Miller.

ColinR
03/06/2005, 11:52 AM
a player can change country as long as he hasn't played a competitive match, which mc geady hasn't to date

Sliogán Dóite
03/06/2005, 11:54 AM
Sorry, thought he could only play for Ireland now, apologies.

Bowsy
03/06/2005, 12:04 PM
a player can change country as long as he hasn't played a competitive match, which mc geady hasn't to date

As he's been capped in a senior international he cannot change allegiance as far as i understand it. That's why Kerr brought him on in the last 10 minutes against Jamaica when the debate was raging last year.

Strachan is an intelligent man and manager. He won't cut his nose off to spite his face with McGeady.

davey
03/06/2005, 1:06 PM
Nope, he can still change - has to be a competitive game

Munsterchick
03/06/2005, 1:10 PM
Think he was capped against Croatia wasn't he?
He's definitely one of our most promising players if not hte most promising.
Who would McGeady move to if he were to leave Celtic?
Not Man Utd, well not yet anyway, look at what happened Miller.
Certainly came on against Portugal.

thejollyrodger
03/06/2005, 1:21 PM
well if strahken is giving McGeady hassle ... he can always leave to a play in a proper league;)

Bowsy
03/06/2005, 2:50 PM
Nope, he can still change - has to be a competitive game

Am I reading this wrong?

Article 15 of the Regulations Governing the Application of the FIFA Statutes has been amended to state that that "a player may exercise his right to change Associations only if he has not played at "A" international level for his country and if, at the time of his first full or partial appearance in an international match in an official competition of any other category, he already had such nationalities."

He has played a few "A" internationals and it doesn't state a competitive "A" international.

Don Vito
03/06/2005, 3:31 PM
As far as I understood it he was ours for keeps after coming in the Unity Cup match against Jamaica. Doesn't really matter anyway because he's not gonna change his mind now anyway.

livehead1
03/06/2005, 4:05 PM
he DEFINATELY DEFINATELY cannot play for another country now he has been capped in a senior international match, friendly or no friendly....remember jon macken. he played for england under 21's and was allowed to represent ireland. tim cahill is to my knowledge the only footballer who was allowed to switch allegiences after playing for a senior national side (samoa i think it was) and this was apparently put down to the fact that he made a mis-informed mistake and was unaware of the consequences...i think he was only around 15 at the time, and this still took 3 years to get through. its safe to say mcgeady will only ever play for ireland, hope this clears it up

Sliogán Dóite
03/06/2005, 6:18 PM
Article 15 of the Regulations Governing the Application of the FIFA Statutes has been amended to state that that "a player may exercise his right to change Associations only if he has not played at "A" international level for his country and if, at the time of his first full or partial appearance in an international match in an official competition of any other category, he already had such nationalities."

He has played a few "A" internationals and it doesn't state a competitive "A" international.

But it does state 'in an official competition'.