PDA

View Full Version : The Future of this Forum

dahamsta
03/06/2005, 12:37 AM
The amount of time I have to spend dealing with issues on this forum is an absolute disgrace. It makes the "Junior" label wholly appropriate, the whole forum feels like an internet-age creche: petty rivalries, bullying, multiple identities, threats, and even a little bit of spin that's so transparent it's embarassing to an occasionaly lobbyist like myself. It's becoming an embarassment, and it's pretty much guaranteed that at least one solicitor's letter is already winging it's way to me.

So, enough is enough. I need two strict moderators for this forum by the end of next week or that's it, the forum will be closed indefinitely. Ideally I'm looking for one user that's been a member of Foot.ie for quite some time, and contributes to other sections of the site; and a second user that been here at least since the Junior League forum was created. Read the conditions below before you reply or you'll look like an idiot.

Secondary nominations only. Self-nominations will exclude users from consideration. Self-nominations from duplicate accounts - I will check - will result in permanent bans on both accounts. The same applies to dupe accounts used to post messages of support. If you don't understand the conditions don't post for the reason mentioned above -- I may ban you on the general principle that you're too stupid to contribute anything of value anyway.

Nominations close next Friday, this forum will be moderated in the meantime.

adam

dahamsta
04/06/2005, 6:08 PM
I've had just two nominations, by two mates nominating each other. I'm not impressed by the response. I'm not kidding about closing the forum, so you lot would want to pull your fingers out of your arses pretty sharpish or you're going to have to find another place to post.

In other news, the artist formerly known as astalavista and stinger has been banned for posting with multiple accounts. Another user tried to out a user maliciously today by revealing where they work, if that happens again they'll be banned too.

Grow up guys, my nine year old is more mature than you.

adam

hamish
04/06/2005, 6:22 PM
Dahamsta - apologies if I appear as an ass-licker but Footie is my forum for finding out what's happening in the game. It's the best.

If you have to seek legal advice when/if a solicitor's letter arrives that's obviously gonna cost you. That's unfair to you.

I'm guaranteeing you E30 - sorry it can't be more - towards that fee as you should not have to pay these costs.

How about others backing the man?

I'd rather have sent a PM to Adam about this but I feel we owe it to him to back him for all that he's done and that's why I'm putting it here.

Again, sorry for appearing such a lickspittle :o

Bonovox
04/06/2005, 7:29 PM
Hi Adam, I spent a lot of time on a post today on the Westport V Waterford Crystal FAI Final. I was trying to bring some degree of calm to the recent furore surrounding the Carew/Westport saga. I did criticise the FAI.....is that why it didn't appear?

De Town
04/06/2005, 10:18 PM
I nominate "The 12th Man" for the moderator. I dont read too many of the Junior League threads but AGAIK, he contributes to the Junior League forum aswell as the rest of Foot.ie

dahamsta
05/06/2005, 3:02 AM
sirhamish, to be clear, when I say "the future of this forum", I mean the Junior League section in particular. Foot.ie itself is here to stay. And when I mentioned solicitor's letters I'm referring to veiled threats I've received by email and private message, which happens quite regularly on Foot.ie.

However if the style of posting that happens in this forum continues, I do believe it could go to the next level, because some of the comments have been made could easily be considered libellous, particularly by the type of person that tries to use the Irish courts system like a personal ATM.

So while your PayPal donation to the "Foot.ie Legal Fund" is very much appreciated, it's really not required at this time, and I'll be happy to refund the money to you if you wish. Your previous donation was extremely generous and has covered my costs of providing Foot.ie to you for a long time to come.

Bonovox, I didn't allow your post to go through because every active thread in the Junior League section has been hijacked by this insidious Carew issue and I'm sick to the back teeth of it. The only reason the other posts mentioning Carew are in there is because they were posted before I started moderating the forum.

DE TOWN, thanks for the nomination.

adam

hamish
05/06/2005, 3:24 AM
sirhamish, to be clear, when I say "the future of this forum", I mean the Junior League section in particular. Foot.ie itself is here to stay. And when I mentioned solicitor's letters I'm referring to veiled threats I've received by email and private message, which happens quite regularly on Foot.ie.

However if the style of posting that happens in this forum continues, I do believe it could go to the next level, because some of the comments have been made could easily be considered libellous, particularly by the type of person that tries to use the Irish courts system like a personal ATM.

So while your PayPal donation to the "Foot.ie Legal Fund" is very much appreciated, it's really not required at this time, and I'll be happy to refund the money to you if you wish. Your previous donation was extremely generous and has covered my costs of providing Foot.ie to you for a long time to come.

Bonovox, I didn't allow your post to go through because every active thread in the Junior League section has been hijacked by this insidious Carew issue and I'm sick to the back teeth of it. The only reason the other posts mentioning Carew are in there is because they were posted before I started moderating the forum.

DE TOWN, thanks for the nomination.

adam

I meant that Forum Adam not Footie but wouldn't legal threats, if carried out, effect the whole set-up??

Re my PM - you're more than welcome to it - wish it could have been more. :o

Bonovox
05/06/2005, 10:02 AM
You say "this insidious Carew issue and I'm sick to the back teeth of it." You appear to say its a Carew Park issue only. I thought my post was very two way and real and looked at the issue from an entirely different angle. I suggest you moderate your own posts before you print something like that. I am NOT a Carew Park supporter but I feel you need to clarify what you mean by the above quote.
I await your reply.

Yours in Sport,

Bonovox.

ali2005
05/06/2005, 12:00 PM
I nominate sligoman, because he has been here a while and I think he will be strict but fair.

dahamsta
05/06/2005, 1:07 PM
Thanks very much sirhamish, that will cover the foot.ie domain name, which I've just renweed.

Bonovox, the thread was about a specific match between two specific teams, neither of them the one you were posting about. Your post was off topic, period, and that's how off topic posts will be dealt with on the Junior League forum from now on.

adam

terry9
05/06/2005, 4:37 PM
whoever has post the most messages on here(not including stupid ones)might be a good indication to who should be mod?

Mark_no9
06/06/2005, 8:34 AM
I would like to nominate Thunderblaster as moderator . ;)

OscarBravo
07/06/2005, 11:42 AM
I would like to second Mark no 9's nomination of Thunderblaster

Thunderblaster
10/06/2005, 12:32 AM
I would like to nominate sirhamish for the post of moderator.

hamish
10/06/2005, 12:52 AM
I would like to nominate sirhamish for the post of moderator.

Thanks Thunderblaster but I can barely moderate myself these days let alone the forum and would be a disaster at the job. Too thick. :eek:

Still appreciate your nomination. :)

Thunderblaster
10/06/2005, 7:55 PM
I would like to nominate Thunderblaster as moderator . ;)

Thanks Mark_no9 for the proposal and OscarBravo for seconding me. I do not think that I am the man to lead the forum to the promised land. I wouldn't moderate a booze up in a brewery, never mind foot.ie. Having said that, I enjoy the junior forum and it would be a shame that one or two eejits would be the cause of it shutting down.

the 12 th man
10/06/2005, 9:12 PM
I nominate "The 12th Man" for the moderator. I dont read too many of the Junior League threads but AGAIK, he contributes to the Junior League forum aswell as the rest of Foot.ie

thanks for the nomination D.T.,
while i'm no wizard on junior football i would if i'm selected give it my best shot.

i've no problem if i'm not selected. :)

aido_b
11/06/2005, 12:19 PM
I second the nomination for Sirhamish, he always seems to make sense!

Thunderblaster
11/06/2005, 8:12 PM
Can we call an opinion poll on this?

dahamsta
12/06/2005, 2:44 AM
I'm afraid not, this decision will be made by myself and the moderators.

adam

hamish
12/06/2005, 4:54 PM
I second the nomination for Sirhamish, he always seems to make sense!

Thanks aido b - not sure if you're right about making sense unless you add "non" before the word. :D

Lads, I can be confident about operating the on/off button on this contraption but as for editing out offensive remarks and all other technology that goes with moderating, I'm a non starter. Sorry about that :o

Plastic Paddy
12/06/2005, 8:04 PM
Lads, I can be confident about operating the on/off button on this contraption but as for editing out offensive remarks and all other technology that goes with moderating, I'm a non starter. Sorry about that :o

Rubbish. If I can do it, then anyone can, I promise you. Age and incompetence are no longer the excuses you wish they were, sirhamish! :D

:ball: PP

hamish
12/06/2005, 10:31 PM
Rubbish. If I can do it, then anyone can, I promise you. Age and incompetence are no longer the excuses you wish they were, sirhamish! :D

:ball: PP

Get up the yard PP. :D

I really haven't a clue about this internet thingy - when it comes to technical stuff, I rely on my godson to sort things out and even he has given up on me. Anyway, he's in China at the moment so I'm totally lost.
I can post and work the edit button that's it. I tried pasting but the less said about that the better.
Stop trying to goad me into doing it, you pup!!! :D :p

dahamsta
18/06/2005, 11:02 PM
FYI, 12th man has been appointed as mod of this forum. I haven't decided on a second mod yet.

Also FYI, I'm turning off moderation of the forum for the moment, however I'm going away for a few days next week so if there's any messing in the meantime, I'll turn it back on again. Which means you'll be without a forum until I come back. Self-policing folks, remember?

adam

magic_man
19/06/2005, 7:48 AM
[QUOTE=dahamsta]FYI, 12th man has been appointed as mod of this forum. I haven't decided on a second mod yet.

is there any chance of the limerick junior league forum operating again,it would be a shame for it to remain closed cos of a minority of idiots whose sole aim was to disrupt this site,also the topic that seemed to bring most of the animosity to the site[carew westport]is well and truely gone,now people can stick to the topic and not worry about others trying to change back to the same boring

dahamsta
19/06/2005, 10:21 AM
If you mean the Limerick thread, no, I won't open it again because I'd have to strip out all the abuse and petty rivalry, which would take too long. I'd note that you were a contributor in that regard (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?p=284745#post284745), so you'd do well to keep your head down. Try starting another thread and keeping your temper in check.

adam

magic_man
19/06/2005, 11:15 AM
If you mean the Limerick thread, no, I won't open it again because I'd have to strip out all the abuse and petty rivalry, which would take too long. I'd note that you were a contributor in that regard (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?p=284745#post284745), so you'd do well to keep your head down. Try starting another thread and keeping your temper in check.

adam

i was voicing my opinion ,and it was frustration more than temper as certain topics were being abused to facilitate petty ones

FahyForever
22/06/2005, 7:20 PM
As an avid follower and sometime contributor to this forum I feel obliged to say the following with regard the contents of the Junior League forum in general; the single thing that offends me most is the condescending manner in which the authority figures (Op's, moderators or whatever) address the people who take the time to be part of this whole thing. I realise that there are certain elements which most be eliminated for the enjoyment of the majority, but surely there is a considered, intelligent manner in which to go about this rather than the use of threats of closure. I have a very limited knowledge of technology in general and even less of law, so I may be overly simplistic regarding the whole thing but I think using lines like "call me a name.. I dare you" just makes things worse. Football is great because people are passionate about it. Sometimes this causes arguments or hostility, but ,as a rule, nothing that cant be dealt with sensibly. The people involved in instigating havoc during the "Semi-Final-that-dare-not-speak-it's-name" have absolutely no right whatsoever to be allowed to continue taking part in any forum as they are below social communication. However, when someone gives their opinion, however biased, it seems a practice of their freedom of speech and as long as it is not libellous or inflammatory it should be fair game.

Making snide remarks only brings Op's down to the level of the perpetrators they are trying to admonish. Even if somebody doesn't "look like a people person" they can still act like one.

Finally, I am not trying to upset anyone with this post. On the contrary, I would hope this forum continues to raise interesting issues and that it thrives to the benefit of both the fans and the people who appraise our opinions.

dahamsta
22/06/2005, 8:40 PM
That's right Ghandi. I'll set your people free.