PDA

View Full Version : Northern Iron vs Germany

Gerrit
02/06/2005, 8:39 PM
I may be in Belfast this weekend for the goth meeting, so in case I'd go up indeed I thought of catching NI-Germany as well while there. Does anyone know if tickets will be sold on match day ??

-lamb-
02/06/2005, 9:26 PM
don't think it'll be sold out but doubt if there'll be any on the gate. usually you can get some at IFA offices on windsor avenue (other side of lisburn road) before the match.

Gerrit
02/06/2005, 11:11 PM
Don't expect many goths in the stadium TBH, but after the game I'd head straight from Windsor to the gothic meeting.
I don't know if the Northern fans will like my gothic likes to show up in their stand, but oh well, they'll be focussed on the game anyway :)

So I could buy the ticket on game day itself, Lamb ? Any idea of the opening hours of the IFA's offices on this Saturday ?

-lamb-
03/06/2005, 2:58 PM
don't know what hours they open, but you can probably get a ticket.
you could try ringing them but they've been known not to answer their phones.:rolleyes:
http://www.irishfa.com/index/articles.php?id=216&page=CONTACT+US

Captain Tinrib
03/06/2005, 10:53 PM
Northern Ireland V germany not excactly the glamourous of ties i'd say 4-0 to germany as its only a friendly and the german players will be out to impress klinsmann as the world cup is looming!! ;)

Gerrit
04/06/2005, 1:27 AM
Or they may take it easy as the season has just finished + NI wanting to put a result in front of the home support... Just hoping it won't be one way traffic during the whole game ;)

Anyway, though Germany is the nr 1 gothic nation, I will support Northern Ireland. First of all there's the rivality between Belgium and Germany which forces me to chose side against them, secondly there's the fact that I don't like the German national side's style, thirdly the chance to see a German goth travelling to Belfast for this is kinda low anyway.

Gerrit
05/06/2005, 1:16 PM
Well, was a nice game yesterday, many chances (though most of them for Germany) and a good atmosphere. Painful for the NI fans to see them being dominated and finished off by Germany despite having numeric advantage.
Even after a red card 10 minutes far in the game, Germany just dominated and did whatever it wanted.

Good atmosphere though, the N.Ireland fans sang and danced all the game even at 1-4, while the Germans only made some noise when they scored. All NI fans dressed in green, waving NI flags (and a few Union Jacks), especially the "we'll support you ever more" after the 1-4 was scored was beautiful. They even sang "Deutschland" because the Germans didn't sing themselves :D
Less nice though was the booing during the German national anthem (minority of the NI fans luckily) and the hooraying when the speaker announced that Israel had managed to draw in the Republic.

Nice was some NI fans pleasantly singing to me "there's only one Gothic fan here" :D At least some that don't make the make-up=gay connection :)

thejollyrodger
05/06/2005, 1:18 PM
Less nice though was the booing during the German national anthem (minority of the NI fans luckily) and the hooraying when the speaker announced that Israel had managed to draw in the Republic.

scum :mad: :mad: :mad: how can they boo us !!

Gerrit
05/06/2005, 1:23 PM
Guess it's a bit of a rivality between North and Republic, just like the rivality between Cork and Dublin ?? Mocking each other without real hatred being involved ?

I don't think at least the NI fans hate the Republic... When I told that I lived in Dublin I didn't hear nasty comments, I was received and welcomed quite well. So I think it's more like a friendly rivality between the two sides on the island. Correct me if I'm wrong...

thejollyrodger
05/06/2005, 2:11 PM
well i hope we crush them next time we play them and teach them a lesson in manners

Andyh
05/06/2005, 2:44 PM
Well hopefully we don't play each other for a long time to come, as it would just bring too many neanderthals out from their caves.

Gerrit
05/06/2005, 3:01 PM
This sort of comments is the same as them booing, isn't it ? Please let's not destruct the bridges being built by the Setanta Cup...

and luckily, it was a minority... I was in general welcomed very well in Windsor Park, despite being based in Dublin.

-lamb-
05/06/2005, 5:30 PM
i was in the west stand, behind the goal, and there seemed to be a lot of confusion when the anthems were on.
from where i was it sounded like the germans were singing something else over the top of their own anthem, which in hindsight was probably just bad musical timing or their booing of one of the german officials who had said only bavarians cared about following football or something similar :), but some of our fans booed them for that (after it finished?), not booing their anthem.
as anyone who has sat in the west or north stands at windsor park when there's a big crowd knows, its almost impossible to hear the band on the pitch play anything at all.

monutdfc
05/06/2005, 9:00 PM
A group of 8 German fans from Karlsruhe FC took in our game against Kildare County on Friday night. They were good fun, got behind us and led the singing. Karlsruhe is now my favourite German side (even if I've spelt it wrong - or maybe I misheard them and they're from Stuttgart).

big p from owc
26/06/2005, 8:54 AM
at least we dont attack women & children , get your own house in order before you attack northern ireland fans for booing another team .

do roi fans cheer england results ?

do scotland fans cheer england results ?

theres a differance between football rivalrys and borderline anti semitic chants & attacking innocent fans "some of which are women & children" which has been mentioned on another thread pre & during the israel game .

BUT SURE IT WAS ONLY A BIT OF CRAIC , EH ? :mad:

this is my first post on your forum & i will not stoop to your level mate & brand roi fans scum as you did ni fans, we all have our fair share of idiots following our teams but i really have to wonder why you call us scum ? i was at the game , nobody was booed , ni fans cheered when the roi result was announced "as would happen at any football stadium when a neighbouring country's score is announced" .

as i have said , after reading from your own fans mouth's what visiting israel fans were subjected to while visiting your country i feel you are in no position to brand other sets of supporters scum .

i refer you to rule no.3 of this forum.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
In view of some problematic posts lately, I want to make a few things clear for ANYONE posting in this forum:
1. Keep politics out of it. Ask legitimate questions, and express your opinion on football-related matters all you want, but politics has no place in this forum.
2. Religion- as above.
3. Labelling or stereotyping any group of fans/club based on their religious or political background, or the community/groups to which they belong won't be tolerated.

Stanley Chan
26/06/2005, 12:36 PM

After reading some of your comments on the Glens and now these, you really do seem to have a large CHIP on your shoulder!! Not healthy really!!

I would even verge on the opinion that your a bigot (we've been hit with that term plenty over the years, so time to dish out a bit I think)

anto eile
26/06/2005, 6:11 PM
Guess it's a bit of a rivality between North and Republic, just like the rivality between Cork and Dublin ?? Mocking each other without real hatred being involved ?

I don't think at least the NI fans hate the Republic... When I told that I lived in Dublin I didn't hear nasty comments, I was received and welcomed quite well. So I think it's more like a friendly rivality between the two sides on the island. Correct me if I'm wrong...
your obvioulsy not irish/nationalist. had it been an average dubliner im sure the welcome from some people might not have been as friendly

Plastic Paddy
26/06/2005, 6:30 PM
your obvioulsy not irish/nationalist. had it been an average dubliner im sure the welcome from some people might not have been as friendly

No, Gerrit's Belgian. No Celtic (hard-cee) prejudices or hang-ups whatsoever. Lucky him. :)

:ball: PP

big p from owc
27/06/2005, 8:47 AM
as would have been the welcome at an roi game for a northern/unionist from "SOME PEOPLE" .

fitzknows
27/06/2005, 7:06 PM
Jesus lads lay off it. This doesnt do anybody anygood. Heading to the Glentoran-Shelbourne at the Oval with a friend from work who is a Glens fan. Looking forward to the occasion. Have started to get very interested in the Irish league since giving up on the premiersh*t and started concentrated on the local stuff. There are closed minded idiots on both sides on the border but there is no point in getting involved in namecalling. If somebody is childish enough to start that sort of nonsense the best response to it is no response. :ball:

Gerrit
27/06/2005, 9:20 PM
Indeed. It's sad a topic with no political undertone (tell me the political undertone in a game between NI and Germany ?!) still gets a political twist.

FFS, why should northern fans be taunted as per definition when they come to Dublin, or why should southern fans when going to Belfast ?! You have nuts anywhere but this is generalising... By the way, there may be even nationalists who still went to NI vs Germany to support NI.

Green Tribe
27/06/2005, 9:32 PM
Indeed. It's sad a topic with no political undertone (tell me the political undertone in a game between NI and Germany ?!) still gets a political twist.

FFS, why should northern fans be taunted as per definition when they come to Dublin, or why should southern fans when going to Belfast ?! You have nuts anywhere but this is generalising... By the way, there may be even nationalists who still went to NI vs Germany to support NI.

This is true Gerrit, there are plenty

dcfcsteve
27/06/2005, 11:50 PM
Well, was a nice game yesterday, many chances (though most of them for Germany) and a good atmosphere. Painful for the NI fans to see them being dominated and finished off by Germany despite having numeric advantage.
Even after a red card 10 minutes far in the game, Germany just dominated and did whatever it wanted.

Good atmosphere though, the N.Ireland fans sang and danced all the game even at 1-4, while the Germans only made some noise when they scored. All NI fans dressed in green, waving NI flags (and a few Union Jacks), especially the "we'll support you ever more" after the 1-4 was scored was beautiful. They even sang "Deutschland" because the Germans didn't sing themselves :D

Nice was some NI fans pleasantly singing to me "there's only one Gothic fan here" :D At least some that don't make the make-up=gay connection :)

Good to hear that it was a different reception for the Germans compared to the Basil Fawlty-esque "make sure you mention the war" one they got at Windsor Park a few years back. Plenty of chants and songs re the war (you asked what rivalry could possibly exist between NI and Germany Gerrit - try WWII...), and the IFA embarassed as hell - particularly as they handed-out leaflets before the game urging respect from their fans....

Seems things have indeed mellowed at Windsor Park over the last few years.

dcfcsteve
27/06/2005, 11:55 PM
at least we dont attack women & children , get your own house in order before you attack northern ireland fans for booing another team .

theres a differance between football rivalrys and borderline anti semitic chants & attacking innocent fans "some of which are women & children" which has been mentioned on another thread pre & during the israel game .

BUT SURE IT WAS ONLY A BIT OF CRAIC , EH ? :mad:

as i have said , after reading from your own fans mouth's what visiting israel fans were subjected to while visiting your country i feel you are in no position to brand other sets of supporters scum .

i refer you to rule no.3 of this forum.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
In view of some problematic posts lately, I want to make a few things clear for ANYONE posting in this forum:
1. Keep politics out of it. Ask legitimate questions, and express your opinion on football-related matters all you want, but politics has no place in this forum.
2. Religion- as above.
3. Labelling or stereotyping any group of fans/club based on their religious or political background, or the community/groups to which they belong won't be tolerated.

I'm not defending Jolly Rodger's comment, but to be fair Big P I wouldn't read too much into what has been said about supposed trouble at the Israel game.

We had a group of Israeli's over with us for the game (we met them out in Tel Aviv). The 'attacks' before the game that you mentioned above amounted to less-than-handbags from a few Free Palestine protestors away from the game in Dame Street, after our Israeli mates went along to check the protest out (I did ask them why they even wanted to go near it...). One of them got a slight whack on the hand with a placard, and was left with a scratch that looked like a small cat had taken a swipe at him. He got featured on RTE news for it, and wasn't in the least bit upset/perturbed/traumatised....

Hardly the type of stuff that occured on the last day of the season at the Oval though, and really clutching at straws in terms of evidence of very disagreeable behaviour from Ireland fans...

big p from owc
29/06/2005, 10:28 AM
I'm not defending Jolly Rodger's comment, but to be fair Big P I wouldn't read too much into what has been said about supposed trouble at the Israel game.

We had a group of Israeli's over with us for the game (we met them out in Tel Aviv). The 'attacks' before the game that you mentioned above amounted to less-than-handbags from a few Free Palestine protestors away from the game in Dame Street, after our Israeli mates went along to check the protest out (I did ask them why they even wanted to go near it...). One of them got a slight whack on the hand with a placard, and was left with a scratch that looked like a small cat had taken a swipe at him. He got featured on RTE news for it, and wasn't in the least bit upset/perturbed/traumatised....

Hardly the type of stuff that occured on the last day of the season at the Oval though, and really clutching at straws in terms of evidence of very disagreeable behaviour from Ireland fans...steve iam not stirring but redgav seems to have seen very different scenes to the ones you describe .

i find it worrying that so many roi fans appear to be happy to deny this even happened & to just brush it under the carpet , what about the account of members of the official roi fan club wearing club t-shirts attacking israeli fans ? has anything been done to bring these shamefull so called fans to account ?

i say this because i know what a few d*ckhead so-called fans can do to destroy the reputation of a dedicated & loyal fanbase.

ignoring them & hoping they simply go away is not the answer.

i only mention these point because thejollyrodger feels oblidged to apparently call all northern ireland fans scum & i feel that people with glass house shouldn't throw stones.

dcfcsteve
29/06/2005, 1:59 PM
steve iam not stirring but redgav seems to have seen very different scenes to the ones you describe .

i find it worrying that so many roi fans appear to be happy to deny this even happened & to just brush it under the carpet , what about the account of members of the official roi fan club wearing club t-shirts attacking israeli fans ? has anything been done to bring these shamefull so called fans to account ?

i say this because i know what a few d*ckhead so-called fans can do to destroy the reputation of a dedicated & loyal fanbase.

ignoring them & hoping they simply go away is not the answer.

i only mention these point because thejollyrodger feels oblidged to apparently call all northern ireland fans scum & i feel that people with glass house shouldn't throw stones.

Big P,

Falling victim to hearsay again with RegGav's note, I'm afraid.

Firstly - there is no 'official FAI supporters club' , nor do they have T-Shirts. That's a fact, and was eventually pointed out to RedGav. The people that he was referring to when he wrote that appear to have been members of the London Supporters Club (which has it's own T-shirts). The London club is recognised by the FAI, but independent and by no means 'official' with them.

Secondly - I was with the groups of Israeli fans who were "attacked" at that very moment. We were walking up with them from Temple Bar to the ground. When we got to a pub near the ground a few ********s (who we were reliably informed afterwards are well-known Rovers casuals and general trouble-makers) started shouting pro-PLO abuse etc at them. The contents of a beer glass got thrown in their direction, and their behaviour was very aggressive. One of the lads we were with (a Dub Pats fan) had a go at them, which nearly resulted in a fight - ironically between Irish fans. The Israeli group were long-gone by that stage, as they moved on as soon as they heard the small group mouthing off.

But sure, Red Gav says it was up there with the Twelve Days war, so let's all believe him...... . Again - very unusual behaviour from Irish fans, though sadly not unexpected given the political angle to that fixture. This is not about ignoring any supposed hardcore element to our fans - Ireland supporters have an exemplary reputation for a reason. It was grossly unfair of The Jolly Rodger to lable all NI fans as scum, but in the same breath your fans sadly do not have the same positive reputation that the Republic's fans do. Primarily for their chanting/attitude towards certain opposition teams and towards Catholics over the years, rather than for any violence on their part. Times fortunately appeared to have moved-on in Windsor Park for internationals, but such incidents weren't all that long ago and can't simply be forgotten.

anto eile
29/06/2005, 4:39 PM
as would have been the welcome at an roi game for a northern/unionist from "SOME PEOPLE" .
i made a point of writing "some people" in my own post

big p from owc
03/07/2005, 1:23 PM
Big P,

Falling victim to hearsay again with RegGav's note, I'm afraid.

Firstly - there is no 'official FAI supporters club' , nor do they have T-Shirts. That's a fact, and was eventually pointed out to RedGav. The people that he was referring to when he wrote that appear to have been members of the London Supporters Club (which has it's own T-shirts). The London club is recognised by the FAI, but independent and by no means 'official' with them.

Secondly - I was with the groups of Israeli fans who were "attacked" at that very moment. We were walking up with them from Temple Bar to the ground. When we got to a pub near the ground a few ********s (who we were reliably informed afterwards are well-known Rovers casuals and general trouble-makers) started shouting pro-PLO abuse etc at them. The contents of a beer glass got thrown in their direction, and their behaviour was very aggressive. One of the lads we were with (a Dub Pats fan) had a go at them, which nearly resulted in a fight - ironically between Irish fans. The Israeli group were long-gone by that stage, as they moved on as soon as they heard the small group mouthing off.

But sure, Red Gav says it was up there with the Twelve Days war, so let's all believe him...... . Again - very unusual behaviour from Irish fans, though sadly not unexpected given the political angle to that fixture. This is not about ignoring any supposed hardcore element to our fans - Ireland supporters have an exemplary reputation for a reason. It was grossly unfair of The Jolly Rodger to lable all NI fans as scum, but in the same breath your fans sadly do not have the same positive reputation that the Republic's fans do. Primarily for their chanting/attitude towards certain opposition teams and towards Catholics over the years, rather than for any violence on their part. Times fortunately appeared to have moved-on in Windsor Park for internationals, but such incidents weren't all that long ago and can't simply be forgotten.
fair enough mate , i wasn't there & i didn't see it . i took redgav's account at face value .

iam aware that roi fans are generally very well behaved fans & you are right in saying that a lot of good work is being done through the "IFA'S FOOTBALL FOR ALL CAMPIGN" by true northern ireland fans to end all sectarian chanting at our games . real progress has been made in recent years & it continues on a daily basis.

big p from owc
03/07/2005, 1:25 PM
i made a point of writing "some people" in my own post
iam well aware of that . :)

Stevo Da Gull
03/07/2005, 2:04 PM
I know that nothings kicking off here but I still wanted to say that unfortunately there are idiots everywhere, so there will always be violance/other cr*p in football, every club/country has bad apple `fans` and unfortunately (exmpl Shamrock Rovers) reputations get destroyed.

Ourselves and our football organisations have a resposibility to not let our International team supporters get a bad rep.