PDA

View Full Version : Shels game

pineapple stu
02/06/2005, 7:20 PM
Encouraging preview on the Shels site here (http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=69). Missing/doubtful are Owen Heary, Dave Crawley, Alan Moore, Dave Rogers, Ollie Cahill, Wes Hoolihan and Colin Hawkins. Obviously some of those will play, they have more than enough cover and some of it is probably to make us feel sorry for them, but it's nice all the same! There's talk of Jason Byrne being dropped for Crowe too.

Will put a preview on our website tomorrow.

Poor Student
02/06/2005, 7:36 PM
Encouraging preview on the Shels site here (http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=69). Missing/doubtful are Owen Heary, Dave Crawley, Alan Moore, Dave Rogers, Ollie Cahill, Wes Hoolihan and Colin Hawkins. Obviously some of those will play, they have more than enough cover and some of it is probably to make us feel sorry for them, but it's nice all the same! There's talk of Jason Byrne being dropped for Crowe too.

Will put a preview on our website tomorrow.

Please God let Heary be out. That's 3/4s of their defence doubtful. I'd get Martin on the wing to terrorise Brennan if he is filling in for Heary. I'd say he'll stick with Byrne. Makes no odds, they're both in poor form. I reckon we should go at them and try to rattle them. There's no point in sitting back. They still have players like Ndo and Ryan to call in on the wings, Harris for defence, O'Neill up front but the loss of Heary is always a big blow to them.

Slash/ED
02/06/2005, 9:56 PM
Of all of those players, Heary is the one we can least afford to lose, the rest all have very good cover. Brennan though has looked fairly decent.

I think you're wrong poor student, I'd be suprised if Jason Byrne started the match, O'Neill and Crowe to play I think.

Poor Student
02/06/2005, 10:25 PM
Slash you've obviously seen more of Brennan than me. Are you impressed? I thought he looks a bit out of depth in the games and highlights I've seen him.

We'll see Slash. I just have a feeling Byrne is undroppable from Fenlon's perspective and Crowe's form has been poor anyway and that you cannot afford to experiment after falling beind Cork.

Slash/ED
02/06/2005, 10:59 PM
Probably not much more PS, the only two games he's played in were televised, Linfield and Cork. I think he's alright, I mean he's no Owen Heary, but he's decent enough. His OG v Cork was unfortunate, I thought he had a fairly decent game apart from that. He was poor v Linfield but giving him a debut in a cup final was always a risk. I wouldn't be too worried about him playing, but Heary is still a massive loss.

I think Byrne will be dropped, pretty much everyone seems to want it. A few people booed him off on monday, though that is absolutley idiotic after all he's done for us, but that's how frustrated people are atm. It's not that it's simply a dry spell, he's had those before, but he's putting no effort in at all at the moment and looks completley shot of confidence, he's all over the place. His all round play is also suffering badly, he's a liability on the pitch atm, he really has been awful. A spell on the sidelines is needed to get his head right so he can get back to his best. If ever there was a chance of him being dropped, it's for this game. I'd put money on it being Crowe and O'Neill starting tomorrow.

Poor Student
03/06/2005, 9:47 AM
UCD v SHELBOURNE
A glut of injuries hamper Shelbourne's
attempt to rise from their slump of
three defeats on the trot.

Richie Baker (hamstring), Owen Heary
(foot) and Dave Rogers (ankle) are out.

David Crawley and Ollie Cahill remain
doubtful with head cuts while Colin
Hawkins has had a bug and may not play.

UCD, who haven't scored in three league
games, wait on defender Aidan Lynch
(calf) and striker Paul Byrne (groin)
are both very doubtful. Kieran Harte is
added to the squad.

From aertel. Well according to this Heary is definately out.

Poor Student
03/06/2005, 10:08 PM
I think Byrne will be dropped, pretty much everyone seems to want it. A few people booed him off on monday, though that is absolutley idiotic after all he's done for us, but that's how frustrated people are atm. It's not that it's simply a dry spell, he's had those before, but he's putting no effort in at all at the moment and looks completley shot of confidence, he's all over the place. His all round play is also suffering badly, he's a liability on the pitch atm, he really has been awful. A spell on the sidelines is needed to get his head right so he can get back to his best. If ever there was a chance of him being dropped, it's for this game. I'd put money on it being Crowe and O'Neill starting tomorrow.

I stand very much corrected, you were entirely right. Some finish by Crowe.

pineapple stu
04/06/2005, 12:34 AM
Hey, it did work out just like the preview was pointing! :)

For the second time this season, Shels had to come from behind to claim a point against UCD, although this time, if anyone was to deserve the three points, it was the Students on what was a much-improved performance over the last couple of weeks.

Shels went into the game with numerous injury worries, and poor form saw Jason Byrne dropped to the bench, though their "threadbare" squad saw him replaced by another Irish international in Glen Crowe. Shels' injury worries mounted after just ten minutes, when Jamie Harris came off to be replaced by Stephen Brennan. By this stage, however, UCD were 1-0 up after the first serious attack of the game - Stephen Hurley put over a cross, and Tony McDonnell rose highest to loop a header over Steve Williams and into the net.

UCD continued to hold the upper hand for the remainder of the half, although clear-cut chances were hard to come by. The Students did have a great chance to take a 2-0 lead early in the second half, however, when Damien Dupuy received the ball ten yards out with his back to goal; his shot on the turn was powerful and Williams had to be down smartly to turn away at his near post.

As the game wore on, it started to move more from end to end. Joseph Ndo - on the bench when Ireland played Cameroon in the 2002 World Cup - was instrumental for Shels, with his surging runs causing plenty of trouble for Damien Dupuy and Mick O'Donnell. However, when the Shels equaliser did come, after a period in which Shels had bene in the ascendancy, it was sub Wes Hoolihan who was the architect - his ball forward from midfield was taken down by Glen Crowe, who turned and shot from the edge of the area for a superb goal.

Pete Mahon responded by withdrawing Dupuy and bringing on Brian Gannon, with UCD switching to a 5-4-1 formation. College brought men behind the ball and were happy to counter on the break, which they often did dangerously - Stephen Hurley in particular could have done better with his ball in from the left wing when Adrian Murphy and Gary Dicker were making runs through the middle. Shels had plenty of pressure in the last twenty minutes or so, but the UCD defence held firm, with Brian Shortall - in for only his fourth league appearance - in particular impressing.

The game saw Shels' winless streak extend to four games, and UCD's to five, though it will be the Students who will be the happier after tonight's game, especially with Bray and Shamrock Rovers (and Drogheda! :) ) losing.

College take a break from league action now as Dublin City return for their FAI Cup encounter just two weeks after the League Cup game; then it's on to Drogheda the week after. College traditionally start slowly before finding form, so a point would be a welcome return from United Park.

UCD - Quigley; Kenna, O'Donnell, Shortall, McNally; McDonnell, Hurley, Dicker, McWalter (Adrian Murphy 60); Dupuy (Gannon 73), Martin (Doyle 80). Subs not used - Gallagher, Harte.

Att - c 950

pineapple stu
04/06/2005, 12:46 AM
Thread on the Shels forum (http://www.shelbournefcchat.100megs12.com/chat/viewtopic.php?t=2927) about the match.

Gerrit
04/06/2005, 1:14 AM
Amusing game, logical result. Think both teams got what they deserved as they kept each other in balance. Our first half was a disaster but the last 30 mins made up more or less, UCD proved it should never ever get in serious relegation trouble. Seen several teams much weaker.

Again amusing meet-up with the UCD fans, I really like those guys. :) Your fanzine is brilliant, full of typical student humor. I quote:
"I have 250000 euro, it takes 500000 euro to build a stadium, how many stadiums can I buy with the money I have ? Send answers to Dundalk FC" :D
Also, they gave the league table where every team's name was replaced by a nickname with the word scum in it. Bohs were "Almost bankrupt scum", Rovers "Can I see your account scum", and UCD itselves was "intellect not scum" :D

As for the stadiums (I always have extra attention to that as groundhopper): in theory Belfield should be by far the worst of the EL. Only one (small stand) and apart from that nothing, away from the populated world in a far-out corner of a campus, no typical football atmosphere, no cantine. Still, this is just the theory. In reality, I liked it. Bizarre really, but I found it nice and cosy and just, well, special. This was really unreal, but it was something different than all those look-a-like stadiums of the other teams. Liked it in a weird way :)

Too bad we only play each other 3 times a year and that 2 of them have passed now... I kinda like the games vs UCD. Not an easy team to play, but it's just fun to meet up with their fans. Their support is small, but they're great lads in general.

And we avoided a 4-in-a-row loss and with Baker coming back soon hopefully we should be on the right track again very soon. The second half was already hope-giving, as the team showed a good spirit and motivation. Brilliant goal as well !

CollegeTillIDie
04/06/2005, 9:48 AM
Amusing game, logical result. Think both teams got what they deserved as they kept each other in balance. Our first half was a disaster but the last 30 mins made up more or less, UCD proved it should never ever get in serious relegation trouble. Seen several teams much weaker.

Again amusing meet-up with the UCD fans, I really like those guys. :) Your fanzine is brilliant, full of typical student humor. I quote:
"I have 250000 euro, it takes 500000 euro to build a stadium, how many stadiums can I buy with the money I have ? Send answers to Dundalk FC" :D
Also, they gave the league table where every team's name was replaced by a nickname with the word scum in it. Bohs were "Almost bankrupt scum", Rovers "Can I see your account scum", and UCD itselves was "intellect not scum" :D

As for the stadiums (I always have extra attention to that as groundhopper): in theory Belfield should be by far the worst of the EL. Only one (small stand) and apart from that nothing, away from the populated world in a far-out corner of a campus, no typical football atmosphere, no cantine. Still, this is just the theory. In reality, I liked it. Bizarre really, but I found it nice and cosy and just, well, special. This was really unreal, but it was something different than all those look-a-like stadiums of the other teams. Liked it in a weird way :)

Too bad we only play each other 3 times a year and that 2 of them have passed now... I kinda like the games vs UCD. Not an easy team to play, but it's just fun to meet up with their fans. Their support is small, but they're great lads in general.

And we avoided a 4-in-a-row loss and with Baker coming back soon hopefully we should be on the right track again very soon. The second half was already hope-giving, as the team showed a good spirit and motivation. Brilliant goal as well !

Glad you liked our cosy ground cause you won't be getting much more chance to enjoy it we will probably be sharing with our rugby team inside 5 years :(

The Sheliban
06/06/2005, 7:27 PM
To be honest, I always enjoy going to Belfield, too, and will be sorry to see it go, if it does.
One of the few grounds where you don't get the mob mentality, and bare hatred. And I agree, probably the funniest fanzine around.