PDA

View Full Version : Live 8

sligoman
02/06/2005, 6:12 PM
Sir Bob Geldof has announced the line-up for his Live 8 concerts - and the Spice Girls are definitely not on the list.But details are still being finalised for the five concerts - and Victoria Beckham's spokesman said "a number of conversations had taken place and are continuing to take place about the Spice Girls".Live 8 organisers said the Spice Girls would be welcome to play if they were to re-form.

Free, simultaneous concerts will be held in London's Hyde Park, Berlin, Paris, Philadelphia and Rome on Saturday 2 July with a text lottery to win tickets.

Pairs of tickets to the Hyde Park concert will be available by the lottery, opening on 8 June for a week.

Answers to a series of multiple-choice questions - the questions will be published in the national press - can be texted at a cost of £1.50 plus network charges per text, with the profits going to the charity. A computer will then randomly pick out winners.

London line-up

Mariah Carey
Coldplay
The Cure
Dido
Keane
The Killers
Elton John
Bob Geldof
Annie Lennox
Paul McCartney
Madonna
Muse
Razorlight
R.E.M.
Scissor Sisters
Snow Patrol
Stereophonics
Sting
Snoop Dogg
Joss Stone
Robbie Williams
U2
Velvet Revolver

Philadelphia, USA line-up

Will Smith (hosting)
Bon Jovi
Maroon 5
Dave Matthews Band
Sarah McLachlan
Rob Thomas
Keith Urban
Jay-Z
Stevie Wonder
50 Cent
Kaiser Chiefs
P Diddy

Berlin line-up

A-Ha
Bap
Crosby Stills and Nash
Lauryn Hill
Die Toten Hosen
Peter Maffay
Brian Wilson

Paris line-up

Andrea Bocelli
Craig David
Calogero
Jamiroquai
Kyo
Yannick Noah
Youssou N'Dour
Placebo
Axelle Red
Johnny Halliday
Manu Chao
Renaud

Rome line-up

Irene Grandi
Faith Hill
Jovanotti
Tim McGraw
Nek
Laura Pausini
Duran Duran
Vasco Rossi
Zucchero

Sir Bob said: "These bands are not doing it because they need to ... most don't have to sell another record ever again. They are doing it because they want to and need to."

It's expected that the show will be seen by around 250,000 people, with about half in the arena, and half watching via big screens elsewhere in Hyde Park.

One of the aims is to raise awareness of Make Poverty History, a campaign to get the richest nations to cancel debt, increase aid and fairer trade rules for developing countries.

The concert coincides with the G8 summit in Gleneagles, Perthshire, and there will also be a rally in Edinburgh on 2 July.

sligoman
02/06/2005, 6:13 PM
Sir Bob Geldof has announced the line-up for his Live 8 concerts - and the Spice Girls are definitely not on the list.But details are still being finalised for the five concerts - and Victoria Beckham's spokesman said "a number of conversations had taken place and are continuing to take place about the Spice Girls".Live 8 organisers said the Spice Girls would be welcome to play if they were to re-form.

Thank Christ! :D

sligoman
02/06/2005, 6:15 PM
Organisers of Live Eight are hitting back at accusations their line up is racist.

Black campaigners are outraged that only two of the artists confirmed for London are non-white.

A Live Eight spokesman said a number of black acts had been approached but had turned the event down because of commitments to other projects.

Meanwhile, Bob Geldof's call for a million people to march on Edinburgh to protest against poverty in Africa on the day the G8 summit of world leaders begins at Gleneagles has sparked fears among the authorities.

Police and council chiefs reacted with dismay to the rallying cry and warned it would be a "physical impossibility" to fit a million protesters into the Scottish capital.

Lothian and Borders Police said the huge rally could spiral out of control and end in tragedy.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050602/356/fkate.html

sligoman
13/06/2005, 9:58 PM
Live Eight tickets been sold on ebay:

http://search.ebay.co.uk/live-8-tickets_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrftogZ1QQfromZR10QQsacat Z-1QQcatrefZC6QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1

People are actually bidding on them, they're getting a high price for it too. This is a disgrace after them been lucky enough to get them for free, they have the nerve to charge for them. :mad:

Frank Blue
14/06/2005, 7:38 AM
Pink Floyd!!!! :eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4087578.stm

Pink Floyd - one of the biggest UK bands of all time - are reuniting for next month's Live 8 concert in London's Hyde Park.
Fans will be delighted to hear that Roger Waters, Pink Floyd's bass player and main lyricist, will be rejoining the band he co-founded after an absence of more than 20 years.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wonder if Syd Barrett will put in appearance? :D

hamish
14/06/2005, 8:53 AM
Jeez, if Sting does another lounge bar jazz session of old Police hits, that's one day I won't need sleeping tablets. :eek:

Any chance someone could send him off to the Amazon to save a few more rain forests on that day??

Lionel Ritchie
14/06/2005, 2:17 PM
Pink Floyd!!!! :eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4087578.stm

Pink Floyd - one of the biggest UK bands of all time - are reuniting for next month's Live 8 concert in London's Hyde Park.
Fans will be delighted to hear that Roger Waters, Pink Floyd's bass player and main lyricist, will be rejoining the band he co-founded after an absence of more than 20 years.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wondered about that too. It'd be something else wouldn't it? I can't see it though.

But getting Roger Waters back? Genuinely -I'd have said Queen would've had a better chance of getting Freddy back.

gustavo
14/06/2005, 3:47 PM

isnt he in a mental institution now ?

Lionel Ritchie
14/06/2005, 6:00 PM
not at all. one of those rock'n'roll myths.

After Floyd, Syd released his couple of solo records 'Madcap Laughs' and 'Terrapin' that didn't set the world alight but still get re-issued from time to time.

He seemed to be going downhill and was apparently becoming more reclusive. He popped into see Pink Floyd during the recording sessions for Animals I believe it was so that's mid 70's -6 years after he left/was thrown out of Floyd. The band were a little surprised to see him after so long (so the legend goes) but happy to see he seemed well. Again according to legend -he didn't stay long, didn't say much, just listened for a bit and then left. This is a story recounted by Gilmour I believe back in the late 80's -at that point he (Gilmour) hadn't set eyes on Syd since.

Turns out Sid was living with his parents in southern England all along. he was apparently fine. I've seen a picture taken in around 1984-85 of him with his folks in a back garden somewhere. He looked like a regular geezer slipping into middle-age, balding and a little paunchy but he was smiling away.

Now it might turn out he's a basket case and that's why he's back living with his parents -who back then looked like they were getting on and they must be in their eighties now if they're still truckin'.
But it obviously worked for them for a long time.

I'm pretty sure if you'd offered the only recently deceased Al Hendrix what the Barretts have had he'd have jumped at it in exchange for standing over the coffin of your 27 year old son rueing the day you ever bought him that b@stard guitar.

A wasted talent it might've been but at the end of the day the Barretts got their son back.

Frank Blue
14/06/2005, 6:34 PM
OK, I know this is going off topic slightly, but a few years ago I caught the tail end of a BBC biography on Pink Floyd and Syd Barrett. What seemed a strange coincidence as I recall, was that it was during the recording sessions for "Wish you were here" (Waters wrote this in reference to SB), he was found sat in the studio, bloated and with a shaved head, unrecognisable to the band members, who had not seen him for a significant amount of time. He then disappeared.
He lived as a recluse in London for sometime, before eventually totally losing it (mid to end of the 1970s) and walking all the way to his parents (Cambridge?) where he has remained since.

Managed to find this too....
http://www.pink-floyd.org/artint/sydtoday.htm

Lionel Ritchie
15/06/2005, 11:07 AM
Right you are Frank -it was the sessions of Wish You Were Here and not Animals as I'd said.