PDA

View Full Version : Doyler gone to Reading for medical...

Pages : [1] 2

adamd164
02/06/2005, 11:15 AM
Today's Echo reports that Super Kev has unfortuantely gone to Reading for a medical. :(

Peadar
02/06/2005, 11:18 AM
They've got a very good setup here and he'll be very well looked after, I'm sure. It's sad to see him leave Cork City but I'm sure we'll all be proud of him if he does well.
A few more goals and Reading would have made the play-off's this year.

Éanna
02/06/2005, 11:21 AM
Is he still injured from Monday (fingers crossed :( )

EnDai
02/06/2005, 11:24 AM
ufl lads :eek:

Soper
02/06/2005, 11:29 AM
At least the club will hopefully be able to strengthen the squad with some of the £££

adamd164
02/06/2005, 11:31 AM
no, we only got 117,000 euro for fu*k sake!

harry crumb
02/06/2005, 11:32 AM
Doyle is worth more than 100k.

I could see him pushing into Kerr's World Cup squad next year is the deal goes through.

EnDai
02/06/2005, 11:33 AM
Same as Waterford get for Murphy, and no offence to Murphy, but Doyle's worth alot more than him IMO.

Éanna
02/06/2005, 11:33 AM
Kev, you've been magic. Since the day Pat Dolan brought you to this club you've given everything. It's been a privilege to see you transform from an unknown free transfer to the best player in this league and one of the most promising players I've ever seen. From that header against Nijmegen, to the tap in against Dublin City, to a wonderful effort against Bohs earlier this season. And it wasn't just the goals- sheer dedication and committment, not to mention some amount of skill- a class act. You've done brilliantly so far, now go and show everyone what you're made of- the Ireland team is crying out for a player of your quality. Knock 'em dead

Risteard
02/06/2005, 11:43 AM
Today's Echo (
You posted at 12:15?
:confused:
:confused:

patsh
02/06/2005, 12:00 PM
:( :( :( Depressed.......:( :(

pete
02/06/2005, 12:27 PM
Depressed.......:( :(

I kew we supprt the club & not the players but Doyle has been a star! Was raw in 1st season on thw wing & could not score. Improved a lot last season but only when he played up front did he show his true quality. Dispite injuries & average form has been knocking goals in with ease this season with brace at Bohs the highlight.

I'm Depressed too. :(

The club have a lot of explaining to do with "the clause"

wws
02/06/2005, 12:32 PM
...you beat second and first teams in the league, you go top and hey presto you sell your star player for magic beans.

Is this an approach that could be adopted by other clubs? Should Chelsea have sold Lampard and Terry at Christmas? Or what about Barca flogging Ronaldinho and Etoo last February. What a novel idea...it could catch on and revolutionise football as we know it...

Yes, because the financial situation at Cork City FC is on a par with Barca and Chelsea :rolleyes:

what a muppet post

razor
02/06/2005, 12:35 PM
I know we support the club & not the playersor the Manager, Players come and go and in fairness you can't stand in the lads way.
But remember this, no one is irreplaceable.
In Damo we trust.

drinkfeckarse
02/06/2005, 12:37 PM
...you beat second and first teams in the league, you go top and hey presto you sell your star player for magic beans.

Is this an approach that could be adopted by other clubs? Should Chelsea have sold Lampard and Terry at Christmas? Or what about Barca flogging Ronaldinho and Etoo last February. What a novel idea...it could catch on and revolutionise football as we know it...

IF there was a clause in his contract then they have no choice but to sell him if someone comes in with that price, it's their own fault for being stupid enough to put one in like that anyway.

Éanna
02/06/2005, 1:01 PM
Rico has said that both Doyler and Shane Long are speaking to Reading, but that no offers have been accepted- also said that Burnley and Stoke are interested as well and have made enquiries. Interesting.......

Shelsman
02/06/2005, 1:08 PM
Today's Echo reports that Super Kev has unfortuantely gone to Reading for a medical. :(

Truly the end of Cork City's season!!!

Peadar
02/06/2005, 1:09 PM
Truly the end of Cork City's season!!!

You clearly haven't seen Roy O'Donovan!
A Cork man too, not a Wexford man.
He will link up nicely with our legend, John O'Flynn.

Danny
02/06/2005, 1:29 PM
Not trying to stir it corkies but do pats get any money out of this ?
Seeing as he is under 23 dont all the clubs he was at as a kid get a cut ?

Thanks in advance if we do :)

shedite
02/06/2005, 1:41 PM
I reckon ye should be enttled to a fair bit to be honest.

As far as I know, the fee is related to the ratio between how many years he's spent at each club.

At a guess, 50% of the fee would be eligable to be broken down, and then if he was with city for 2 years and pats for 2 years then pats woulkd get half of the 50% that is eligable.

So transfer fee is 117,000 (none of these figures are certain)
Half can be broken - 58,500
So if he was with City and Pats for equal time then Pats would get half - 29,250 and City would get the rest - 87,750

pete
02/06/2005, 1:43 PM
Players come and go and in fairness you can't stand in the lads way.

Can anyone explain to me why we "shouldn't stand in his way"?

He is earning a fulltime wage with CCFC & under contract to the club. He can choose to stay or leave when contract is over. There appears to be a clause in his contract which means club have to accept a certain offer.

The eL will never improve with "stand in his way" crap mentality.

Only situation i see that acceptable is if a part-time waged player.

wws
02/06/2005, 1:48 PM
Oh you thought the point I was making was that City and Barcelona have the same turnover? And naturally I was making that point on a 'Doyler goes to Reading' thread?
======================================

No. I didn't think that at all. The point you are making makes absolutely no sense. You drew the comparisons with Chelsea/Barca and Cork pal not me. Guess what ? - Chelsea/Barca can and do retain their best players most of the time (figo move accepted if you wanna get technical) - Cork City cant even compete with fcking Reading. Big difference in scale. For both Cork (transfer fee) and Doyle (improvement in his career) the move makes perfect sense. It wont catch on at Barca and Chelsea - cos they are unlikey to be in competion with the likes of Reading when it comes to retaining players (and there arent too many big clubs who can compete with those two either). It will happen at Cork because LoI clubs cannot compete financialy with most UK outfits.

edit: Pete saw your post after i posted - the Doyle and Murphy fees are a reflection of where its at - you might not like it but thats about right.

drinkfeckarse
02/06/2005, 2:06 PM
Can anyone explain to me why we "shouldn't stand in his way"?

He is earning a fulltime wage with CCFC & under contract to the club. He can choose to stay or leave when contract is over. There appears to be a clause in his contract which means club have to accept a certain offer.

The eL will never improve with "stand in his way" crap mentality.

Only situation i see that acceptable is if a part-time waged player.

Yeah but surely you can't expect him not to be interested in a bigger club? It's a kinda catch 22 situation, a bit like asking a player to stay with Swansea when Aston Villa come calling so as to improve the standard of the league.

It does not nor never will work like that.

He will further his career a lot more in England than he ever would do at home. Sad but true.

terry9
02/06/2005, 2:30 PM
i doubt he'll be in the world cup squad lads?

good luck to him. :)

Roo69
02/06/2005, 2:31 PM
That's where we differ. I think it makes no financial sense for Cork at all, to sell the best player for what is peanuts by any standard. That amount of money should come through the gates in one good fixture - selling the best players is one way of guaranteeing that good fixtures get thin on the ground. I accept that Reading may have more financial clout and what is heppening is the way of football the world over. If the money were, say 400k, I would go the other way and think the deal must be done. What I don't accept is that 87k (which is what City get after St. Pats cut apparently) is too good a deal to miss. I'd rather they told Reading to feck off, if that doesn't suit Doyle stick him in the reserves.

Cork will have made a very tidy profit on Doyle, but it chould and should have been more but such is football. 87k (if that is the sum) will do a hell of a lot for Cork City football club + you have another Doyle in the making with O'Donovan, this could be a real chance for him to shine. I know no clubs fans like to see their best players leave, but we should be used to it by now, it's part and parcel of the Irish game.

Can Cork put clasus into this contract ? like sell on fee % or international call up fee ?

P.S. "if that doesn't suit Doyle stick him in the reserves" - I'd bleedin hate to work for you :D

terry9
02/06/2005, 2:33 PM
Kevin Doyle and Shane Long both from Cork City will officially be unveiled as Reading Players tommorow. (http://www.royals.org/)

go to 'EXCLUSIVE TRANSFER NEWS / 2 NEW SIGNINGS ANNOUNCED TOMMOROW' in forum.

good luck lads.

terry9
02/06/2005, 2:35 PM
heard he failed it..also on site(eanna will be happy ;) )

A face
02/06/2005, 2:50 PM
Gutted ....... and i totally agree with Petes post .... we'll never get anywhere with the second rate "we'll only hold him back" búllsh!t that people are coming out with.

It is spineless coming out with something like that !!

The club BETTER get a good price on this one ..... highest bidder definitely !!

drinkfeckarse
02/06/2005, 3:22 PM
The club BETTER get a good price on this one ..... highest bidder definitely !!

The club have only themselves to blame IF they were the one's that inserted the clause.

Technically it is their small mindedness that are holding the club and eL football back if they insert a clause as low as that for a top player. If it was for say £250,000 then that is thinking a little bit bigger and saying " this is a decent league we play in, this is a decent player so pay decent money if you want him".

pete
02/06/2005, 3:25 PM
I have nothing against Doyle trying to better himself & he has always given 100% for the club. The level of consistency & number of gmes he played last year was staggering.

However when a player is under contract the club has sole decision on whether to sell or not. Once he is out of contract can do whatever he so chooses.

€117k for best talent in the league should be a depressing thought for all clubs. It shows the league had not progessed at all even if some special circumstances to this.

:( :( :(

wws
02/06/2005, 3:31 PM
I have nothing against Doyle trying to better himself & he has always given 100% for the club. The level of consistency & number of gmes he played last year was staggering.

However when a player is under contract the club has sole decision on whether to sell or not. Once he is out of contract can do whatever he so chooses.

€117k for best talent in the league should be a depressing thought for all clubs. It shows the league had not progessed at all even if some special circumstances to this.

:( :( :(

well looking at from their point of view Dessie Byrne was teh last big signing between the league (250,000) and the UK and hes back in the league - its a risk from their point of view - and Connor 74 cork do not make anywhere near
100,000 at big games - costs mean that the figures arent that good - if they were that good Cork would be beating Shels hands down in wages offered to top el players - hence theyd bite the hand of reading (as would every el club for a six figure cash injection)

Peadar
02/06/2005, 3:41 PM
Looks like he'll be replacing Les Ferdinand. (http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=276108&CPID=10&CLID=108&lid=&title=Royals+release+five&channel=Championship)

terry9
02/06/2005, 3:43 PM
lads yere gettin 80,000..we got 35,000 for ROY KEANE!!

he'll nevr be half the player keane is,so cheer up. :)

pete
02/06/2005, 4:11 PM
cork do not make anywhere near 100,000 at big games -

Inter Toto Round 2 & 3 Last Year:
€20 * 7000+, allowing for kids prices & costs would be around 100k.

Should have pulled in 200k for 3 home ties but with high costs for away legs.

A reasonable Cup Run would get 100k for few games too.

wws
02/06/2005, 4:13 PM
believe me cork dont make that kind of money - I heard as much from your own chairman

A face
02/06/2005, 4:16 PM
lads yere gettin 80,000..we got 35,000 for ROY KEANE!!

he'll nevr be half the player keane is,so cheer up. :)

80,000 .... that is sterling anyway, it has to be !!

What a fúcking crime .... but who commited it .... Dolan whoever got that put into the contract should be shot !!

The club has to wise up to jokers like this !!

yiddo
02/06/2005, 4:26 PM
Looks like he'll be replacing Les Ferdinand. (http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=276108&CPID=10&CLID=108&lid=&title=Royals+release+five&channel=Championship)

Or the legendery Baz Savage ;) ! Savage by name if not by nature!

shedite
02/06/2005, 4:55 PM
form royals.org forum on why Doyle failed medical -

"Apprantly turned up drunk and smelling of guiness at the training ground"

Big time wind-up merchants. By the way, why on earth is he having a medical for Reading today when he's playing for Ireland tomorrow???

EnDai
02/06/2005, 5:08 PM
Obviously REALLY eager to go :p

Troy.McClure
02/06/2005, 5:09 PM
"Apprantly turned up drunk and smelling of guiness at the training ground"

I wish! :o

Fair_play_boy
02/06/2005, 7:12 PM
Kev, you've been magic. Since the day Pat Dolan brought you to this club you've given everything. It's been a privilege to see you transform from an unknown free transfer to the best player in this league and one of the most promising players I've ever seen. From that header against Nijmegen, to the tap in against Dublin City, to a wonderful effort against Bohs earlier this season. And it wasn't just the goals- sheer dedication and committment, not to mention some amount of skill- a class act. You've done brilliantly so far, now go and show everyone what you're made of- the Ireland team is crying out for a player of your quality. Knock 'em deadGreat post.

Fair_play_boy
02/06/2005, 7:14 PM
Does anybody know why he has to go so soon? Reading's season doesn't start for months, ffs.

Fair_play_boy
02/06/2005, 7:20 PM
Rico has said that both Doyler and Shane Long are speaking to Reading, but that no offers have been accepted- also said that Burnley and Stoke are interested as well and have made enquiries. Interesting.......Is it too much to expect that these clubs will compete for his signature? Surely his transfer fee can not be capped! What sort of l a n g e r would put a clause like that into a contract? A Donegal Garda?

EnDai
02/06/2005, 7:21 PM
Presumably for pre-season training/matches. Get used to the lads etc. Also other clubs interested, if he doesn't go quickly Reading might lose out on him. Also presuming he is relocating over there :p It gives him time to settle down, find somewhere to live, etc etc. Also, why would Reading want to risk him getting a bad injury while playing for Cork? It's just common sense for both Reading and Doyle himself, unfortunate for CCFC though.

kingcolers
02/06/2005, 7:21 PM
Very sad to see him go but totally understandable. Only pity is that the fee is so low. Is that the official amount or just rumours/speculation? seems like a ridiculous bargain.

He stood out as an exceptional player in the eL, it'll be interesting to see how he gets on in the championship..good guage of eL standards.

In another way it might actually be an encouraging thing for other irish footballers...shows that playing in the eL can actually be a viable career choice, going abroad at an early age not the only option, etc...

All the best to him.

kingcolers
02/06/2005, 7:24 PM
btw: i spent a few months working in reading. terrible kip altogether, although the stadium is class. you never know, he might get homesick for de beautiful city by de lee... ;)

shedite
02/06/2005, 7:55 PM
Does anybody know why he has to go so soon? Reading's season doesn't start for months, ffs.

It's one of the problems of summer soccer. Obvioulsy reading won't want him to be playing 6 months with City, then 9 months in England.

Danny Murphy did it a few years back (well, in reverse) and it showed with him.

It will mean that doyle will have 2 off-seasons in about 8 months though!

thejollyrodger
02/06/2005, 8:35 PM
what ever happened to the one standard EL contract. If the muppets got their heads together then they could have a buy out clause where it actually worth something for the clubs invovled .. something like €250,000 !!

CCFC have only themselves to blame... very shoddy management letting a player like this go for such a little amount

daveh
02/06/2005, 9:05 PM
Richardson said if a deal isnt done by monday then doyle is in the squad for the harps game,is this is a wise move if the player knows that hes going to go soon enough anyway?

Personally i think he will still give 100% if he plays against harps no matter what situation he finds himself in,any other views on this?

EnDai
02/06/2005, 9:09 PM
Not like it'd be hard for him to score then anyways! :eek: :D He would have other things on his mind though, but would probably want to put in one as great performance for the fans if he is on the way. Either way, he's got one more game for City in him left, and thats in the best situation for you lot.