PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Burke (D free agent b.2000)

tommy_c12000
12/07/2020, 2:15 PM
Makes debut today for Birmingham, played the last 20 minutes at left wing back. 19 years of age, I don’t know much about him. He is doing pretty well, looks strong with a tidy left foot, good going forward, and one nice defensive interception. Hopefully, he can establish in first team. Anyone know more about him?

tommy_c12000
12/07/2020, 2:28 PM
As impressive a debut I’ve seen for an Irish left back!

Based on his cameo, he has potential to be a better option than Stevens and Manning, who both lack defensive skills. He is also stronger than both and is only 19. I don’t know much about him, but if he establishes himself with Birmingham, this guy has all the attributes to be a future quality Irish left back

paul_oshea
13/07/2020, 12:22 PM
On what basis have you surmised all that Tommy?

This is the kind of ridiculousness that we see here all the time and few of us bother coming back for.

He'll be the next big thing by the "Thanks Brigade" in no time!

Olé Olé
13/07/2020, 12:42 PM
I have to agree with Paul on this, Tommy. I thought it was good going by you to be able to predict the outcome of the entire career of Conor Masterson based on a stop/start debut season. Being able to draw the above conclusions from an 18 minute cameo for young Burke is a new level altogether.

John83
13/07/2020, 2:35 PM
I am torn between my traditional distaste for the regular discussion about how we should get rid of all of our current internationals and replace them with some teenagers who will definitely win the World Cup by 2030, and the feeling that Paul is being a bit harsh on someone a bit excited to see a young player have a good debut at a decent club.

Thanks for highlighting the debut, tommy. It'll be interesting to see if the lad can get more game time in the coming weeks.

Stuttgart88
13/07/2020, 3:19 PM
So who's actually in this "Thanks Brigade"?

paul_oshea
13/07/2020, 3:36 PM
Don't worry you love being in a club, you're in !

tommy_c12000
13/07/2020, 3:58 PM
Merely surmising it on observing 20 minutes of football Paul. As I have clearly stated. And provided appropriate caveats, and certainly haven’t made dramatic hyperbolic comments. Of course not getting carried away, just a mere highlight of a promising debut and showing potential, but has many many hoops to get through as stated. Left back has always been a challenging position for us so nice to see a 19 year old make a promising debut here.

COVID era has you extra sensitive it seems Paul... no offense was meant !

paul_oshea
13/07/2020, 4:00 PM
Not worried about Covid, bar stopping me going away Tommy :D

I have seen a bit of Manning, he isn't fast enough for left back and he gets caught out of position and the pace is lacking to get back or make up for it. I wouldn't have him as back up for LB but make use of whoever else we have that can cover. I'd be surprised if he ever makes the LB role his own.

youngirish
13/07/2020, 4:32 PM
On what basis have you surmised all that Tommy?

This is the kind of ridiculousness that we see here all the time and few of us bother coming back for.

He'll be the next big thing by the "Thanks Brigade" in no time!

In fairness Paul only the first post got multiple 'Thanks' and the summation of that was he makes his debut, does anyone know anything about him and he looks decent. A fairly measured appraisal and not befitting of someone that is surely going to be the next Roberto Carlos.

I'd agree the second post was probably a bit excitable after 20 minutes of playing time.

seanfhear
13/07/2020, 7:40 PM
I have to agree with Paul on this, Tommy. I thought it was good going by you to be able to predict the outcome of the entire career of Conor Masterson based on a stop/start debut season. Being able to draw the above conclusions from an 18 minute cameo for young Burke is a new level altogether.
Tis , tell us the Lottery numbers stuff ! !

gastric
14/07/2020, 1:43 AM
Good on you Tommy for sticking your neck out and showing belief in a young player. If you are proved wrong, so be it. Some on here would rather each thread remain utterly negative and pessimistic and then expect others to follow suit. Prozac may be the answer!

Olé Olé
14/07/2020, 6:20 AM
Good on you Tommy for sticking your neck out and showing belief in a young player. If you are proved wrong, so be it. Some on here would rather each thread remain utterly negative and pessimistic and then expect others to follow suit. Prozac may be the answer!
Not at all. My issue is that he has been unnecessarily and utterly negative and pessimistic regarding another young player in another thread (Conor Masterson). It doesn't demonstrate much balance drawing such conclusions on Burke based on limited evidence. It demonstrates bias, if I'm honest.

You'll find I am well able to be positive regarding young players if you check the other threads.

gastric
14/07/2020, 8:21 AM
Ole, sincerely I was not aiming my comments at you. I believe your posts are informed, constructive and normally optimistic. There is, however, a tendency for some posters to look for fault when posters take punts on players. Troy Parrott it would seem is destined for club football if some are to be believed!

DeLorean
14/07/2020, 8:29 AM

I agree. Plus, when he ends up in the Leinster Senior League, we can all laugh at the time Tommy unequivocally claimed he was going to be the next Roberto Carlos. And if he does turn out to be great, we can all laugh at Posh for doubting him. Win-win.

John83
14/07/2020, 11:18 AM
Birmingham's site says he's played for Ireland at U15 and U16. https://www.bcfc.com/birmingham-city/players/ryan-burke/

I've found an article on Burke's transfer from Pats last summer, including a short video of an interview with him. The text of the article contains the transcript (minus a few "and stuff"s :)).

https://www.the42.ie/ryan-burke-birmingham-city-4697399-Jun2019/
(https://www.the42.ie/ryan-burke-birmingham-city-4697399-Jun2019/)

CraftyToePoke
15/07/2020, 6:57 PM
On the bench tonight throughout in the 1.1 home draw with Charlton. Hogan missed from the spot at 0.0.

tommy_c12000
15/07/2020, 7:39 PM
Pederson returned, seems to be the strong first choice left back? A big preseason from the boy Burkey ahead, hopefully he will also sneak some more game time prior to seasons end (now that Birmingham are almost safe..)! I’m keeping the faith! He’s got the tools, God knows it wouldn’t take too much to be in with a shout at left back for our senior team historically and currently! Happy to have my head above the parapet!

SkStu
15/07/2020, 7:50 PM
God knows it wouldn’t take too much to be in with a shout at left back for our senior team historically and currently!

not doubting your evaluation of his potential at all but he'd be doing well to dislodge a left back as good as Stevens.

Eirambler
15/07/2020, 8:20 PM
A loan move for the new season would be best I think. No problem if it's league 2 as long as he's getting regular first team football.

tommy_c12000
15/07/2020, 8:42 PM
not doubting your evaluation of his potential at all but he'd be doing well to dislodge a left back as good as Stevens.

Talking about a squad standpoint mostly! I like Stevens, still suspect defensively, but has really emerged this season. However, if anything happens Stevens, back up options are pretty limited.

tommy_c12000
22/09/2020, 11:24 AM
Off to the conference with yeovil town until Jan to hone that wand of a left foot of his. Good move. Best of luck to him

CraftyToePoke
17/05/2021, 4:12 PM
Released by Birmingham City.

Eirambler
17/05/2021, 6:08 PM
The writing was on the wall really for Burke after the Yeovil loan move didn't go well. If you're not holding down a starting place at non league level in England you're really as well just coming home to Ireland. Take a LoI contract and see if you can rebuild your career from there.

tommy_c12000
18/05/2021, 12:56 PM
Disappointing, he fooled me in the brief cameo i saw him in! He seems to have a sweet left foot and scored a number of goals for their under 23s this seasons it seemed. Tough tackler and reasonable going forward. He must be lacking a few of the other key ingredients. Hopefully, he can rebuild his career somewhere