PDA

View Full Version : Full Backs v Israel

Superhoops
02/06/2005, 6:34 AM
Looks like the starting full backs for Saturday could be O'Shea at RB and Harte at LB. I hope I'm wrong but this has to start alarm bells ringing. Neither can defend or hold their position. Let's hope the Israelis are weak on the flanks. If this is the line up, it put big pressure on the centre backs.

Frank Blue
02/06/2005, 7:12 AM
Looks like the starting full backs for Saturday could be O'Shea at RB and Harte at LB. I hope I'm wrong but this has to start alarm bells ringing. Neither can defend or hold their position. Let's hope the Israelis are weak on the flanks. If this is the line up, it put big pressure on the centre backs.

Caught that news this morning. So no Dunne, who has been outstanding for City (my team :) ) and no Finnan.

http://www.skysports.ie/list.asp?hlid=281979&cpid=4&CLID=&lid=3098&title=Finnan+faces+fitness+fight&channel=FAI

But it's no reason to panic, yet:

Kerr admitted it was a blow to lose so many defenders, but is confident they will be able to cope without them.
"It's disrupting in general to lose so many from the same area of the pitch," added Kerr. "We still have eight in the squad who can play in defensive positions.
"All our defenders have played at right back, mostly in the Premiership. John O'Shea, Andy O'Brien, Kenny Cunningham, Gary Doherty, Steven Reid, Ian Harte and Matt Holland have played right back."

:)

thejollyrodger
02/06/2005, 7:45 AM
S.Reid in at right back and it will have to be Josh at left back.
pity about finnan

Corky
02/06/2005, 7:56 AM
Reid at RB and O'Shea at left. The less changes to the setup of the back 4 the better, and with Reid at right back thats just one. reids had a strong finish to the season, has played RB before, although not regularly. He Looked impressive against Celtic and he's hungry to get out and do well for Ireland.
The other option is Oshea at RB (out of position) and Harte at LB (has been out in the cold for over a year). Think this is too risky for Brian Kerr.

zinedineontour
02/06/2005, 8:18 AM
would be very suprised if its not reid and oshea .... the less changes in the back four the better

tetsujin1979
02/06/2005, 9:00 AM
would be very suprised if its not reid and oshea .... the less changes in the back four the better

Agreed, I mentioned it before, but the last time Kerr made 2 changes to his settled back four was the 2-0 loss in Basle. O'Shea moved into the centre for Kenny, and Harte went in at left full instead of O'Shea. O'Shea set up their second goal, Harte was AWOL for a decent chunk of the game, and we deservedly lost. I can't see Kerr making the same mistake of too many changes to a settled side again.

Drumcondra Red
02/06/2005, 9:20 AM
I really don't like O'Shea, and don't think he should be starting these games for us tbh

elroy
02/06/2005, 9:37 AM
Look on the bright side it could be a France and Swiss double header ahead. And the centre back partnership is unaffected. O'Shea and Reid should be able to do an adequate job at left and right back on sat.

zinedineontour
02/06/2005, 10:00 AM
I really don't like O'Shea, and don't think he should be starting these games for us tbh

not a huge fan of oshea either but would prefer as much of a settled side as possible so think oshea and reid would be the way to go ...

geysir
02/06/2005, 10:13 AM
Reid at RB and O'Shea at left. The less changes to the setup of the back 4 the better, and with Reid at right back thats just one. reids had a strong finish to the season, has played RB before, although not regularly. He Looked impressive against Celtic and he's hungry to get out and do well for Ireland.
The other option is Oshea at RB (out of position) and Harte at LB (has been out in the cold for over a year). Think this is too risky for Brian Kerr.

I could not see what part of S.ReidĀ“s game against the Celtic reserves and old boys was impressive. I rather totally agree with EiramblerĀ“s observations
"Reid started at right back, hope this doesn't mean we might need him there against Israel, he looked out of position (probably because he was)".

Though I did think he was okay in that position for Blackburn.
If he is selected then there will have to be a huge improvement and thats a gamble.
In the present set up I can't see Kilbane playing left full, if only because of the need for aereal strength upfield.
The most positive thing from the game with Celtic was Duff, he looked sharp fit and confident. Robbie K less so.
In the absence of Roy K, IMO it is a banker bet that Kavanagh will play.
I predict that Duff will have a blinder, Ireland to pile on relentless pressure for 30 minutes. Israel to threaten with breakouts. 2-0 or 3-1.
I fear that the game against the Faraoes will be a slog and could well be a draw, but the Roy factor may swing it.

eirebhoy
02/06/2005, 10:51 AM
Caught that news this morning. So no Dunne, who has been outstanding for City (my team :) ) and no Finnan.

http://www.skysports.ie/list.asp?hlid=281979&cpid=4&CLID=&lid=3098&title=Finnan+faces+fitness+fight&channel=FAI

Never knew SkySports had a site dedicated to Irish Sport. Cheers. :)
http://www.skysports.ie/

JimmyP
02/06/2005, 11:09 AM
From today's Indo:

Steven Reid is the favourite to fill in at right-back although Kerr did experiment with John O'Shea in that position with Ian Harte at left-back in yesterday's practice game.
So he's certainly thinking about it anyway

tricky_colour
02/06/2005, 8:02 PM
I would probably go with Harte and O'Shea it's the least players out of
position and O'Shea may well play better at right back.
Lets just hope we don't pick up any more injuries.

zinedineontour
02/06/2005, 8:17 PM
I would probably go with Harte and O'Shea it's the least players out of
position and O'Shea may well play better at right back.
Lets just hope we don't pick up any more injuries.

well same really as having reid at right back cause oshea out of position at right back .. also does ian harte have a position where he doesnt look crap ? least changed from previous few games would be just to slot reid in at right back.. be much happier with that myself

eirebhoy
02/06/2005, 8:25 PM
well same really as having reid at right back cause oshea out of position at right back
O'Shea is actually (a lot) better at right back than left back.

brine3
02/06/2005, 8:39 PM
Surely Stephen Kelly is worth a look in. I know he's injured but Kerr didn't have him in the squad before he was injure either, which I found rather surprising.

zinedineontour
02/06/2005, 8:42 PM

but you are then making 2 changes to the side ... oshea to me has only looked comfartable in centre midfield which i could see him doing a good job in ..

tricky_colour
02/06/2005, 9:27 PM

That is what I have thought on the rare occasions I have seen him play there.
Also Duff is more defense minded now so that would make life easier for
Harte.