PDA

View Full Version : On Linfields website.

royalblue
01/06/2005, 9:55 PM
Linfield have taken the unusual step of announcing a new contract clause which will apply to all new signings and players who re-sign with the Blues.

Determined to progress in terms of training and delivering higher levels of fitness and skill, it will be compulsory for all players who fall into the above categories to train three nights a week, instead of the current two nights.

Linfield Manager David Jeffrey speaking earlier to LinfieldFC.com said:

"There is a need for Linfield Football Club to continue to progress. We have seen during our games with Shelbourne and Longford Town the difference that additional training can make in terms of fitness and performance levels. The change to three training nights for players who are new signings or who re-sign is vital for us to continue our development. It will mean a change in culture and is in fact the beginnings of a new culture at the Club."

What you people think?

Poor Student
01/06/2005, 10:22 PM
I'd have assumed they were doing 3 nights a week, I am surprised to see it was only two considering their performances in the Setanta. It's a step in the right direction. Will they be paying slightly higher wages? Isn't Jeffrey himself only part-time?

-lamb-
02/06/2005, 12:02 AM
Isn't Jeffrey himself only part-time?
yes, he works in larne as a child psychologist (or something kind of similar)

stevieontour
02/06/2005, 12:18 AM
Now knowing his full time job, he's probably the most Qualified Football Coach in Ireland :D

BTW: This shows the benefits of the Setanta Cup, both leagues learning from each other and pushing Football on this Island further forward.

Troy.McClure
02/06/2005, 10:26 AM
I'd have assumed they were doing 3 nights a week, I am surprised to see it was only two considering their performances in the Setanta. It's a step in the right direction. Will they be paying slightly higher wages? Isn't Jeffrey himself only part-time?

I think that they often play 2 games a week though.

wws
02/06/2005, 10:29 AM
Now knowing his full time job, he's probably the most Qualified Football Coach in Ireland :D

BTW: This shows the benefits of the Setanta Cup, both leagues learning from each other and pushing Football on this Island further forward.

no it shows theres a lot of wasters demanding stupid money and doin fck all for it down south - and enough fcking idiots running football clubs down here willing to pay them

Poor Student
02/06/2005, 10:30 AM
I think that they often play 2 games a week though.

CIS Cup, Irish Cup, Co. Antrim Shield, Setanta. You're probably right seeming as they reached the latter stages of all of them.

Macy
02/06/2005, 10:35 AM
I'd have assumed they were doing 3 nights a week, I am surprised to see it was only two considering their performances in the Setanta.
It was the end of their season. After a full season and only training once a week there fitness would be good at that stage.

monutdfc
02/06/2005, 10:55 AM
I'd say most First Division Clubs here train 4 times a week (I know of 2 anyway).
That said, they usually only have one game per week.

pete
02/06/2005, 11:36 AM
The more games you have the less you will train so no shock that Linfield only traing twice a week with 55 game season.

Why do they have so many crappy Cups in the IL?

Patrick Dunne
02/06/2005, 1:42 PM
.. there needs to be more stipulations/clauses with players contracts. Some players in the First Division are heavily overweight, some players seem to be very unfit.

A well organised GAA club eg Athenry, Crossmaglen etc. would expect its players to be in far fitter condition than most EL First Division sides.

pete
02/06/2005, 1:45 PM
A well organised GAA club eg Athenry, Crossmaglen etc. would expect its players to be in far fitter condition than most EL First Division sides.

I don't know about that as even inter-county GAA players have questionable fitness. You always hear them monaing when have to play games in back to back weekends...

Aberdonian Stu
02/06/2005, 2:02 PM
Yeah but certain counties/clubs take it very seriously. Armagh & Crossmaglen being the obvious examples.

Macy
02/06/2005, 2:07 PM
Yeah but certain counties/clubs take it very seriously. Armagh & Crossmaglen being the obvious examples.
Bogball is all about fitness these days, not about skill.

Wiseguy
02/06/2005, 4:23 PM
GAA is nearly all about fitness now.Being fit keeps you alert and sharp.IMO it cost Vinny Perth a new contract at Longford because more than anyone he struggled with his weight and fitness.If you have limited ability being fit can make up for a lot of downfalls.
I thought all part time clubs trained for at least 2 hours 3 times a week aswell as training in their own spare time with full time clubs training 6 times a week.All you have to do is look at the top players in other leagues and you can see how how important it is to stay at the peak of your fitness along with eating the right food and living the right lifestyle.It's something all clubs and players over here should be adopting if we intend to compete at a higher level.There is no point in giving away the edge to the opposition.
Just as an example look what the neutron diet and hard training done for the Offaly team under Tommy Lyons.Before a ball was kicked they had an edge over all teams as regards fitness and energy levels and this compensated for not being as technically good as other teams.

shantykelly
02/06/2005, 9:21 PM
Just as an example look what the neutron diet and hard training done for the Offaly team under Tommy Lyons.Before a ball was kicked they had an edge over all teams as regards fitness and energy levels and this compensated for not being as technically good as other teams.
wtf? were they eating at sellafield or something?