PDA

View Full Version : Dentist

eamoss
01/06/2005, 8:08 PM
Was at the dentist the other day and I wondered if anyone closed there eyes then the dentist is working on you teeth.

As for me I keep my eyes open want to see what they are doing?

Can this be made a poll?

hamish
01/06/2005, 8:18 PM
Always wish to monitor what's going on

To paraphrase Metallica

Watch with both eyes open
Gripping your nurse's tights

I'll get my coat :o

Soper
01/06/2005, 8:26 PM
Always wish to monitor what's going on

To paraphrase Metallica

Watch with both eyes open
Gripping your nurse's tights

I'll get my coat :o
hahahahaha legendary!

superfrank
01/06/2005, 8:39 PM
I'm honestly afraid of the dentist, I have really bad teeth and I always think they'll bite my head off.

I remember the one time in particular the dentist had told me to brush my teeth anytime I ate so on my way back for the next appointment I stopped off to buy some food (I thinkl it was a Snickers) but I forgot to brush and while I was at her mercy on the stool she began questioning me about what I'd been eating and when,etc.

Very unnerving, especially seeing as she had an array of terrifying tools at her disposal! :eek:

hamish
01/06/2005, 8:50 PM
I'm honestly afraid of the dentist, I have really bad teeth and I always think they'll bite my head off.

I remember the one time in particular the dentist had told me to brush my teeth anytime I ate so on my way back for the next appointment I stopped off to buy some food (I thinkl it was a Snickers) but I forgot to brush and while I was at her mercy on the stool she began questioning me about what I'd been eating and when,etc.

Very unnerving, especially seeing as she had an array of terrifying tools at her disposal! :eek:

Well if she caused you pain you should've dropped your trousers and showed her what terrifying tool you had at your disposal. :D

Used to go to a dentist years ago who really tried to put one at ease but he had annoying manner in doing this. Relax now PET. open your mouth now PET. This won't hurt PET. No he wasn't that way inclined just annoying.

pineapple stu
01/06/2005, 9:14 PM
Had root canal surgery there last year (the surgery being given to yer man in Finding Nemo) - the dentist was fairly surprised that I hadn't had any pain in the five years since my filling had fallen out and I'd bitten down on it. Had two periods of surgery - which at stages involved having drawing pins put down along the length of the nerve - and spent most of the surgery looking at the reflection of my mouth in the dentist's glasses to see what was going on... I think he was getting a bit worried about me at the end! Just got me Revenue refund in the post today and all!

I know there wasn't really any need to go into so much detail - just wanted to freak a few people here out! :)

hamish
01/06/2005, 9:20 PM
Sweet Jesus, Pineapple Stu!! :eek:

Glad you stopped or I'd have told you about one of my operations in the past few years - nothing to do with the mouth - and believe you me I'd trump all that detail.

Two words ; pilonidal sinus :eek:

Heh heh

Don't check it out especially if your're going to eat. :D

jofyisgod
01/06/2005, 9:26 PM
Dentists-the fascists of the medical profession.

I hate going there. I think it's the fact that they can reallly hurt you with such little effort :eek: . Those things they poke the back of your gums with-why?!

hamish
01/06/2005, 9:42 PM
Yep, jofyisgod, my niece went to Sligo last week for dental surgery and it cost just under £700 - private health care my ass.

She's really good looking - runs in the family heh heh - but her poor face looks like a sumo wrestler's ar$e at the moment.

Double pain - physical and financial.

Kill them all I say!! :D

Green Tribe
01/06/2005, 10:22 PM
Yep, jofyisgod, my niece went to Sligo last week for dental surgery and it cost just under £700 - private health care my ass.

She's really good looking - runs in the family heh heh - but her poor face looks like a sumo wrestler's ar$e at the moment.

Double pain - physical and financial.

Kill them all I say!! :D

I'm quite lucky, my dentist is quite normal, very patient and civil at my 6monthly check-ups. And us students get it free, great! :D Last visit was quite embarrassing, when I was leaving the surgery, I was getting my coat from the 'stuck-on the wall' coat hanger thing, but didn't I rip the whole thing of the wall :eek: :o . The dentist and all in the waiting room witnessed this of course :rolleyes:

hamish
01/06/2005, 10:25 PM
Clumsy, house breaking, demolishing, destructive Kerrs Tribe :D :p

Poor Student
01/06/2005, 10:27 PM
Worst I've had to endure is scraping some caking of the teeth. Never even a filling. It's like nails across a black board. I keep my eyes open.

liam88
01/06/2005, 10:28 PM
I'm quite lucky, my dentist is quite normal, very patient and civil at my 6monthly check-ups. And us students get it free, great! :D Last visit was quite embarrassing, when I was leaving the surgery, I was getting my coat from the 'stuck-on the wall' coat hanger thing, but didn't I rip the whole thing of the wall :eek: :o . The dentist and all in the waiting room witnessed this of course :rolleyes:
At least ya ddin't turn up at 1.30 am :D

aido_b
01/06/2005, 11:11 PM
I am absolutely **** scared of the dentist! had two teeth pulled a few years back and I had to be sedated, had an exposed nerve two months ago, I was in the waiting room and about 5 minutes before I was due to go in I just legged it!the nerve settled down about a week later!

My philosophy is that feck it I can always get false teeth ... they always look so much nicer anyways!

hamish
01/06/2005, 11:31 PM
Jesus aido b - raw nerves may not bother you from time to time - I had 'em too - but if left unchecked you could develop an abscess or accentuate gum disease. I'd get 'em done, man.

Beside we want you in good nick so we can hear more good jokes and enjoy more quality banter.

If you want, for a small fee, I've got a good length of twine and s strong door knob, soon fix ya!! :D

aido_b
01/06/2005, 11:34 PM
Jesus aido b - raw nerves may not bother you from time to time - I had 'em too - but if left unchecked you could develop an abscess or accentuate gum disease. I'd get 'em done, man.

Beside we want you in good nick so we can hear more good jokes and enjoy more quality banter.

If you want, for a small fee, I've got a good length of twine and s strong door knob, soon fix ya!! :D

No seriously man, even the thoughts of going to a dentist make me squirm!can't bear the sound of a drill etc ... Remember that episode of Mr. Bean when he goes the dentist, feckin hated that one!

Ah sure a bit of gum disease never hurt anyone I'll be grand!

hamish
01/06/2005, 11:37 PM
No seriously man, even the thoughts of going to a dentist make me squirm!can't bear the sound of a drill etc ... Remember that episode of Mr. Bean when he goes the dentist, feckin hated that one!

Ah sure a bit of gum disease never hurt anyone I'll be grand!

Can't say I didn't try to help. Imagine, a Town fan trying to ease the pain of a Bowez fan. :eek:

Fcuk it - that fee would have been nice.

Anyway, pop over to terrible jokes thread, I've a new Knacky joke for ya.

aido_b
01/06/2005, 11:40 PM
Yep just posted a joke in there myself, always used to chew on a dan bar or a roy of the rovers bar when I wanted a tooth pulled when I was younger!

Cheers for the offer of help though! ;)

hamish
01/06/2005, 11:43 PM
Oh Jesus! The thought of chewing a bar on top of an exposed nerve :eek:

Fcuks sake, aido b, I'm just gonna have a cup of char.

You put me right off. :(

Peadar
02/06/2005, 8:09 AM
I used to go to a female dentist on Grafton St.
She was really good and always made sure I was ok before she allowed me to leave after having any work done. Sometimes people feel fine until the drugs wear off. I'm one of these people who need 3 or 4 injections before I start to go numb.

Some people are quite happy to spend a fortune on drink and smokes, ruin their teeth and then complain about how much the dentist charges to fix them! :rolleyes:

patsh
02/06/2005, 9:22 AM
About 20 years ago, I had a very bad tooth and had to have it take out. I was terrified, to put it bluntly, of dentists, and was really nervous about this. Unfortuantely, the fuppin dentist took out a perfectly good tooth alongside it as well!
That was on a Friday evening, and I felt quite ill after it, so went to bed. The hole where the good tooth had been taken out didn't stop bleeding, and during the night I lost over two pints of blood!
My mother nearly died when she called me the following morning, there was blood soaked into the entire pillow.
I had to go to hospital dental dept (the old North Infirmary in Cork), but it was only a junior who was on duty and he wasn't very gentle or careful. He came at me with a syringe the size of a cattle dose type thing, and I was a bit reluctant, shall we say, to let him stick it in my gum. After about 10 seconds only, he lost his temper and told me to get out!
My father was pretty p*ssed off, to say the least, and dragged me off back home. During the course of that Saturday, the bleeding continued and I just could not get it stopped. So that night, I was taken to the accident and emergency and was feeling pretty faint and weak at that stage. They did some tests and estimated that I had lost in the region of 3 1/2 pints of blood, so they could not give me any anaesthetic, but they still had to stitch up my gum. Eventually, they had my uncle, who brought me in, holding my head, two nurses holding my arms, and a doctor began to stitch my gum. I got 16 stitches in total!, and I could feel the needle going in and out everytime!...

Needless to say I was very wary of a dentists after that, and actually did not go to a dentist again until 5 years ago, when I broke a tooth while eating a Polo mint! Luckily, I was told to go to a lovely woman on the Grand Parade, who is excellent. She was very understanding of my nervousness, and has looked after my teeth very well since then. I can even face a regular checkup now without getting palpitations! The only thing I cannot face now is a drill. If anything like that needs to be done, it's a doctor to administer a full anaesthetic and knock me out!

Babysis
02/06/2005, 9:47 AM
Patsh, thats horrific :eek:

I was never fussed about dentists, but neither was a terrified - couldnt really be, having had braces fitted etc when i was younger. when our family dentist retired and I got passed over to the Head of the practice.
He didnt sort a problem with my tooth, and it resulted in an absess. I really didnt like him, he was rude and ignorant :mad:

I got sent home from school in agony with this absess on my front tooth, but refused to go to my dentist. I went to another dentist for the first time. He was amazing. My gums had swollen so much he couldnt give me any anesthtic, but I needed root canal straight away. so he did it with any kind of pain relief :eek:

It took so much longer than it should have cos he went so slowly and stopped if it hurt at all. Im still with him, and he is brilliant. Spent the whole weekend doped up on painkillers, but it was better than the pain of the abesess :eek: After that it doesnt matter what the dentist does now :D

aido_b
02/06/2005, 10:32 AM
Im actually shuddering reading these posts ... any good stories of dentists !?!?!?

hamish
02/06/2005, 9:52 PM
About 20 years ago, I had a very bad tooth and had to have it take out. I was terrified, to put it bluntly, of dentists, and was really nervous about this. Unfortuantely, the fuppin dentist took out a perfectly good tooth alongside it as well!
That was on a Friday evening, and I felt quite ill after it, so went to bed. The hole where the good tooth had been taken out didn't stop bleeding, and during the night I lost over two pints of blood!
My mother nearly died when she called me the following morning, there was blood soaked into the entire pillow.
I had to go to hospital dental dept (the old North Infirmary in Cork), but it was only a junior who was on duty and he wasn't very gentle or careful. He came at me with a syringe the size of a cattle dose type thing, and I was a bit reluctant, shall we say, to let him stick it in my gum. After about 10 seconds only, he lost his temper and told me to get out!
My father was pretty p*ssed off, to say the least, and dragged me off back home. During the course of that Saturday, the bleeding continued and I just could not get it stopped. So that night, I was taken to the accident and emergency and was feeling pretty faint and weak at that stage. They did some tests and estimated that I had lost in the region of 3 1/2 pints of blood, so they could not give me any anaesthetic, but they still had to stitch up my gum. Eventually, they had my uncle, who brought me in, holding my head, two nurses holding my arms, and a doctor began to stitch my gum. I got 16 stitches in total!, and I could feel the needle going in and out everytime!...

Needless to say I was very wary of a dentists after that, and actually did not go to a dentist again until 5 years ago, when I broke a tooth while eating a Polo mint! Luckily, I was told to go to a lovely woman on the Grand Parade, who is excellent. She was very understanding of my nervousness, and has looked after my teeth very well since then. I can even face a regular checkup now without getting palpitations! The only thing I cannot face now is a drill. If anything like that needs to be done, it's a doctor to administer a full anaesthetic and knock me out!

How can anyone row with you now Patsh after that story.

Here's a medicine story - somewhat off thread.

Went into Dixon Hempsentall near Grafton Street for an eye check up in early 1998. Went through the whole procure with a rather good looking optician. On the way out she said - You really did need your eyesight tested - you used to be my teacher. :o

superfrank
02/06/2005, 10:18 PM
Two words ; pilonidal sinus :eek:

Heh heh

Don't check it out especially if your're going to eat. :D
Yeh, I typed it into google and one of the summaries was something "rectal", another was "fluid leaking from spine" :eek:

Jesus christ, what did they do to you?! :confused:

superfrank
02/06/2005, 10:21 PM
Oooh, I put pilondial sinus in, not pilonidal sinus!

I typed that in and, eh, the less said bout that the better!

I feel sorry for you! :eek:

hamish
02/06/2005, 10:36 PM

Thanks superfrank. That thing on its own can be dealt with but I had two other nasty illnesses at the time and the combination nearly fcuked me up totally. Still fighting the good fight.

Had another one of THAT op a few weeks ago.

Here's the bad news - it's mostly blokes that get as we're hairy and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Jesus the pain was unbelievable. It's also very common so be careful and it certainly gives a new meaning to the expression "Watch yer ass" :D Anyway I'm in big company as I believe Napolean and Hannibal had the same. Rush Limbaugh used it as an excuse to avoid Vietnam. Actually there is a spinal element involved - well in my case anyway

Downside number two. Have known a few nurses in my time for ...er... non medical reasons heh heh but what those poor nurses had to go through with me and in the area involved??? I feel that nurses should be on 100, 000 euros a year for what they have to do.

I'm gonna get crucified for this but is any wonder so many nurses are randy. After what they have to deal with in hospital a d**k must be fun to play with.
:D

Poor Student
02/06/2005, 10:39 PM
I'm gonna get crucified for this but is any wonder so may nurses are randy. After what they have to deal with in hospital a d**k must be fun to play with.
:D

:eek:

Hamish you're a beacon of hope to all males. You're proof that even in our latter stages we'll still have that spark. :D

hamish
02/06/2005, 10:51 PM
:eek:

Hamish you're a beacon of hope to all males. You're proof that even in our latter stages we'll still have that spark. :D

Thanks man but I'm gonna disappoint ya. All the medication tends to...er....er...shall we say...er....deaden that area!!! But, one day, I'll be a little better and..................... :eek:

As for a spark. Let me say this. There's a new girls'secondary school just at the back of my house. Y'know where auld fcukers like me are supposed to be obsessed with young ones in their school outfits etc. UTTER BULL$H!TE.

What bothers me is that every day the little fcukers go past the house to the shop across the road and there's a cacophony of ringtones, giggling, squealing, roaring, tee-hee-hee-ing etc, coke can kicking/throwing as they congregate outside my front wall/gate at lunchtime while I'm lying here trying to read or watch telly. To be fair, I vaguely remember being young once and don't hobble outside to say anything to them as I'm sure they don't mean to be a nuisance.

I just wish they'd fcuk off somewhere else - Pluto's lovely this time of year - and leave grumpy old b0ll!ckses like me in peace. They're about as attractive as a crow picking the eyeball out of a dead rat.

I don't have the orientation of Boy George but I totally agree with him on one thing. "Sex? I'd rather have a nice cup of tea". Way to go Boy George.

Enjoy your youth and when you're going in for the tenth time, think of me!!! :D You can represent me!!!!

Oh Jesus I'm really getting gross - can we go back to talking about teeth!! :D

Cosmo
03/06/2005, 8:21 AM
I'm getting a bridge done in 2 weeks (avtually started yesterday and i think he chipped away some of my tooth beside the gap :rolleyes: )

Anyone ever get a bridge done :confused:

aido_b
03/06/2005, 10:56 AM

Just checked that out myself Hamish ... You're a brave man and heres me crapping on about being afraid of dentisits!

Must say ya have one of the best outlooks on life I've ever come across! :D

hamish
03/06/2005, 11:56 AM
Just checked that out myself Hamish ... You're a brave man and heres me crapping on about being afraid of dentisits!

Must say ya have one of the best outlooks on life I've ever come across! :D

Not all aido b but appreciate the kind vibes man. You're a sound dude even for a Bowez fan!!!!!! :D

No, Jesus dental surgery is right up there in the Premiership of Pain so I can sympathise with you folks believe you me.

The pictures you might have seen are probably hugely enlarged so it's not a big deal if got early. Problem is I was finishing up my spell in schools football when it first manifested itself and left it without too much doctoring until I finished the tournaments I was running so I'm partly to blame.

There is always a funny side. Remember in 2000 or 2001 Paula Di Canio got a winner (?) for West ham against Man. United. He scored anyway.
It was being shown in my hospital room on the telly while a Malaysian doctor and a Limerick nurse were working on THAT area. I let out a big cheer when De Canio scored.
The Malaysina doctor quickly remined me that he was a MaU fan = a BIG ManU fan - and so was the nurse. :eek:
Giving the delicacy of their "work" it was real bad timing on my part.
Thankfully, their ethics and professionalism won out. Whew!!!

As I said to the other guys above - PS is a very common thing - nearly always a male problem. I've no hang ups about talking about it. If it happens, it happens.

People in sedentary jobs are prone to it - yep computer freaks, taxi drivers , truckers etc.
My biggest problem was I had two other more serious illnesses (still have) which made it worse.

To be brutally honest, do I give a fcuk about it? Nah, not really - just wish I was out and about again, skullin' pints and seeing if I still have what it takes in getting some action in the leg over department. :D

Then I've always got you Footirepeople to annoy!!! That passes the time. Heh heh

jofyisgod
03/06/2005, 12:02 PM
What's the difference between dentists and sadists?

Dentists have newer magazines...

:D I'll be using that at a number of after-dinner occasions! ;)

We are a pretty unhealthy bunch on here, are we not. Got to say sirhamish, you are one brave guy, you have my total respect. Fair play :)

hamish
03/06/2005, 12:13 PM
Really apreciate it kind sir but in most cases PS is not a big deal but I feel that men should be aware of it and be ready for it as it's quite common. My consultaant sees hundreds every year with it. That's a lot of butts, the poor bas..rd.

People are kind of ashamed of it because of it's location. So fcuking what!

The major problem is if left untreated for a long time, it can drain every inch of energy from you and expand to other areas and put one in real danger so if you get problems with it, get it done within a month. I did, after six weeks treatment with my GP but he really should have sent me to the consultant immediately. As I said above, that's why I kept at the football for that six weeks as I thought he - the GP - would solve the problem.

I can guarantee you that at least ten per cent of Footie males will suffer one of the six versions.

Can't say I didn't warn you lot.

Thanks to you all for your kindness lads - really appreciate it.

Now can we get back to throwing abuse at one another!!! :D

jofyisgod
03/06/2005, 12:17 PM
I can guarantee you that at least ten per cent of Footie males will suffer one of the six versions.

You're just frightening me now-are you a dentist?? :eek: :D

There really should be more awarenss of such problems-is it just me or does anyone else find the majority of men needlessly insecure when talking about illness. A continuation of this 'machismo' bollócks, no doubt.

anto1208
03/06/2005, 12:22 PM
i remember a dentist pulling perfectly good 2 teeth with no injection and missing the one bad one i wanted out ,when i was about 12 , i screamed the place down and was terrified to go back , luckily i have really good teeth so never had to vist too much , but went recently and its so different now ,

i little ***** from the injection then you cant feel a thing and its painless even after the injection wears off .

i have to go soon to get 4 wisdom teeth out , they have to put me to sleep !!

hamish
03/06/2005, 12:30 PM
You're just frightening me now-are you a dentist?? :eek: :D

There really should be more awarenss of such problems-is it just me or does anyone else find the majority of men needlessly insecure when talking about illness. A continuation of this 'machismo' bollócks, no doubt.

Totally agree with you jofyisgod. I know two friends of mine who have it and won't get it treated - thankfully for their sake they have a mild version but that doesn't mean that it won't get worse so they're being very stupid.

A former pupil of mine was in the next room to me with another version of it. She went through fculing hell the poor girl - women can get it too.On average the whole (no pun intended) thing can be cleared up in a month or two.

Yeh the machismo bit is rediculous. Maybe some are afraid that they might lose employment if it continues over a long time. I'm a little unlucky there as I had two other hassles - all three kinda exaserpated* the situation. (probably misspelt)

I cannot understand why people try to avoid treatment for any condition. If things deteriorate, then their families suffer as well. So there's an element of selfishness I think too.

Men put on this "strong", so called manly performance. It's far more mature to deal with a problem and get it over with - everyone's a winner.

PS - Don't want to scare you guys - I haven't looked up those websites too much for obvious reasons but my consultant told me that PS can also occur on the arm. anywhere on the back, eye area etc so it's not just a butt thing.