PDA

View Full Version : Rugbys Celtic League Dead

pete
31/05/2005, 6:54 PM
BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/4597161.stm)

Welsh have pulled out so just Irish & Scottish teams left.

Poor Student
31/05/2005, 7:06 PM
I think your headline was over dramatic. It may return the following season or instead a competition involving Irish, Italian, Scottish and Welsh clubs.

pete
31/05/2005, 7:35 PM
I think your headline was over dramatic. It may return the following season or instead a competition involving Irish, Italian, Scottish and Welsh clubs.

Welsh are off to Engerland. Italian have already turned it down. Going to be dramatic drop in crowds if just playing hopeless Scottish teams.

Poor Student
31/05/2005, 7:45 PM
Welsh are off to Engerland. Italian have already turned it down. Going to be dramatic drop in crowds if just playing hopeless Scottish teams.

The article you're quoting says otherwise. :confused:

liam88
31/05/2005, 9:15 PM
The way I heard is that the Welsh are just competing in the English cup-as a result the Irish and Scottish pulled out leaving the Welsh to run their own league meaning there will be 3 seperate leagues (Ireland/Scotland, Wales, England). Celtic league has had it's fair share of problems with the collapse of the Celtic Warriors etc.
Though officially now the Celtic league is dead. It may be otherwise next season (it hopefully will be!) but for now it has broken into 2.
Anyone know what the link with Italy is? It's a good idea but just seems a stranger combination-Ireland, Scotland, Italy-would have thought England or even France would be more logical due to geography? Is it to do with the qaulity of the league?

CollegeTillIDie
31/05/2005, 10:17 PM
It was Wales who welshed on the Celtic League according to IRFU spokesman John Redmond on Newstalk 106 earlier tonight.

Macy
01/06/2005, 8:20 AM
Did the IRFU ever agree to positions in the Celtic League for qualification for Europe? That was one of the big sticking points, as felt the provinces weren't taking it seriously....

niamh
03/06/2005, 12:50 PM
They did but reserved the right to change their mind :rolleyes:

As for the Celtic League, Irish v Scottish provinces will not be fun...at all.
Financially, it is devastating news for all three unions.

jorge
13/06/2005, 2:59 PM
If Wales come back and it starts again it should be run properly like the Zurich premiership to compete with the english and French leagues.

jorge
18/06/2005, 10:21 PM
Looks like its back on.

pete
19/06/2005, 12:21 PM
The absence of the Celtic League might have been an opportunity for more eL on Setanta...

jorge
19/06/2005, 1:35 PM
Yeah but I think its back on but how many matches are Setanta showing this year?i think it was only around ten.