PDA

View Full Version : The Ashes

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

OwlsFan
31/05/2005, 5:27 PM
Coming up soon on a Channel 4 TV station near you. We're going to hear a lot of hype about how England will beat the Aussies this time but I forecast another win for the Aussies - a bit closer than usual. Perhaps 3-1. A lot will depend on whether Flintock can regain the form of the last series.

WeAreRovers
31/05/2005, 5:50 PM
A lot will depend on whether Flintock can regain the form of the last series.

Flintoff's form will be crucial as well. ;)

KOH

thejollyrodger
31/05/2005, 6:38 PM
me bóllócks Ill be watching this :p

pete
31/05/2005, 7:30 PM
I thought you were talking about Shel$ Title Aspirations.

Cricket only worth watching when Engerland getting beaten.

MariborKev
31/05/2005, 7:38 PM
Cracking summer of cricket

Including the ICU Trophy on our own shores

Can't wait!

crazyaxel
31/05/2005, 7:53 PM
true but come on the aussies!
id say england have a chance if harmison and hoggard bowl well

OwlsFan
01/06/2005, 9:51 AM
Flintoff's form will be crucial as well. ;) KOH

I know the spelling of his name - sometimes the brain doesn't agree with the fingers :p

SHould be very enjoyable series, weather permitting.

I reckon we are better than Bangladesh - when are we getting our test status ?

Macy
01/06/2005, 10:27 AM
I reckon we are better than Bangladesh - when are we getting our test status ?
Sometime after Scotland I'd imagine. :)

Looking forward to basically the last summer of test cricket since the ECB sold it's soul to Murdoch... :mad:

Frank Blue
01/06/2005, 10:50 AM
Sometime after Scotland I'd imagine. :)

Looking forward to basically the last summer of test cricket since the ECB sold it's soul to Murdoch... :mad:

Ireland has a cricket team? :eek:

Macy
01/06/2005, 11:15 AM
Ireland has a cricket team? :eek:
Yeah, and not too bad a one as it happens.... A respectable non-test standard side...

WeAreRovers
01/06/2005, 11:34 AM
Cracking summer of cricket

Including the ICU Trophy on our own shores

Can't wait!

ICC Trophy not ICU - I should be cricket moderator on here. ;)

Very important summer for Irish cricket. Finish in the top 7 of the ICC and we're off to the West Indies for the 2007 World Cup. Shame that Ed Joyce looks like being unavailable. See yiz there!

KOH

dahamsta
01/06/2005, 11:35 AM
I've often thought it's kind of funny how snobbery can work the other way around in Ireland. My old man used to play both hockey and cricket (as did I on occasion), and when you tell people that they look at you as if you just said you like it when hairdressers do unspeakable things to you*. It's considered a pansies sport, even though my old man's claw-like hand, caused by being hit by a hockey ball, would beg to differ.

Course I'm guilty of it too, because I think all those muppets in the RCYC are an unbearable bunch of snobby tossers. :)

adam

* Cut your hair really badly, obviously.

Wiseguy
01/06/2005, 12:12 PM
Aaahhh the cricket.The Aussies will hammer those bloody poms.Yet again all the hype will be about the poms finally beating the Aussies and it will blow up in their face.I spent a day in the W.A.C.A. watching the barmy army cry into their flags as their cricket team crumbled before their eyes.England have been avoiding really tough matches to boost their rating but now they will have a real match on their hands.If the Aussies lose the ashes they will be slaughtered when they get home.Lose to England just isn't something the aussies can contemplate.

Macy
01/06/2005, 12:49 PM
England have been avoiding really tough matches to boost their rating but now they will have a real match on their hands.
Eh? So who have they avoided since the last Ashes series, all of 2 years ago?

OwlsFan
01/06/2005, 1:26 PM
. Shame that Ed Joyce looks like being unavailable. See yiz there! KOH

Yep. How is the Irish team supposed to progress if the really good players declare for England ? Also a PR disaster for the game here and strenghtens the opinion of the masses that anyone who plays the game here is just a West Brit.

anto eile
01/06/2005, 2:22 PM
cricket isnt a sport, its agame like draughts or chess, something to be played in between breakfast and tea and crumpets,and then to be resumed for a while until dinner is ready.
no sport can legitimately break for tea

WeAreRovers
01/06/2005, 2:35 PM
cricket isnt a sport, its agame like draughts or chess, something to be played in between breakfast and tea and crumpets,and then to be resumed for a while until dinner is ready.

Anto, as much as I hate to disagree with a fellow Hoop, cricket is a brilliant sport. Spend a day in the sun drinking and watching cricket and I bet you'd agree. Watching the likes of Brian Lara, Phil Tufnell, Graham Hick, Hansie Cronje (RIP) - all of whom I've seen in the flesh - is a pleasure. Mind you, understanding the game helps too.

KOH

Wiseguy
01/06/2005, 4:34 PM
Since the last Ashes England have avoided going to both India and Pakistan as these are very hard places to get results.They have beaten lesser sides like the West Indies and Zimbabwe and claimed a good scalp in South Africa but i can't see them being a match for Australia even though English cricket is on such a high at the moment.
I had the good fortune of meeting Nasser Hussain in T3 in Heathrow Airport before they flew out for the last Ashes and i told him that the Aussies were gonna cream them,he didn't appear to like it but i was right.

MariborKev
01/06/2005, 6:29 PM
Anto, as much as I hate to disagree with a fellow Hoop, cricket is a brilliant sport. Spend a day in the sun drinking and watching cricket and I bet you'd agree. Watching the likes of Brian Lara, Phil Tufnell, Graham Hick, Hansie Cronje (RIP) - all of whom I've seen in the flesh - is a pleasure. Mind you, understanding the game helps too.

KOH

The man speakth the truth. Can't beat sitting watching a Test or a ODI BUT 20/20 is the taster for anyone who doesn't understand cricket, truly a mad day out!

As for my ICU mix up :o :o
You coming up North for any of the games? Some of the group B ties (Scots, Namibia etc are in Derry

WeAreRovers
01/06/2005, 7:04 PM
You coming up North for any of the games? Some of the group B ties (Scots, Namibia etc are in Derry

Probably just wait for the business end of the competition down here. The aul 'summer soccer' keeps me busy enough.

There's only 5 qualifiers for the WC and not 7 as I said. So much for my long tenure as a cricket expert. :rolleyes:

http://www.cricketeurope.org/ICCT2005/DATABASE/ABOUT/format.shtml

KOH

dancinpants
01/06/2005, 7:14 PM

Have to agree with Anto on this one lads. Sometimes even when the highlights are on if you watch long enough ye can actually see the grass grow during an over!! :eek: . But hey what ever floats yer boat - more power to ye!!!

anto eile
01/06/2005, 7:33 PM

KOH

but i could gladly just spend a day in the sun drinking....without cricket, and rest assured il still have a great time! :)

stickyjoe
02/06/2005, 8:10 AM
looking forward to the ashes series. should be a great few weeks of cricket.
what date does the first test start.

Macy
02/06/2005, 10:11 AM
21st July is the first test. England v Bangladesh starts today (if it isn't over already ;) ), then it's the one dayers....

razor
02/06/2005, 1:52 PM
Can't wait for the Ashes to start, don't really think England have the bowling attack to trouble the Aussies but you never know.
Test cricket can be boring but it can be a better game to play than to watch.
Played through college for many years and had some great times.

Macy
14/06/2005, 10:37 AM
First blood of the tour to England, even if it was just 20/20. Australia lose by 100 runs, being bowled out with over 5 overs remaining :eek:

Looking like it could be an interesting summer if England continue to put it up to the Aussie's...

Aberdonian Stu
14/06/2005, 11:48 AM
Yeah I was a bit surprised by that. Would have assumed that the Aussies had an advantage in limited overs cricket. Ashes looking tasty but there is a fear that it could get over hyped and affect the players.

OwlsFan
14/06/2005, 1:51 PM
Wouldn't read too much into that. I suspect the Aussies were a but overconfident but means very little going forward to the tests.

Macy
14/06/2005, 1:59 PM
Wouldn't read too much into that. I suspect the Aussies were a but overconfident but means very little going forward to the tests.
I don't at all, but at least this England team isn't going to just roll over for the Aussies....

OwlsFan
20/06/2005, 10:03 AM
I can see it all already: Botham and Gower writing off the Aussies after the latest defeat only for England to be laid low in the test matches. It will make for compulsive viewing.

OwlsFan
24/06/2005, 10:03 AM
Normal service resumed last night. Might dampen some (but not much) of the expectations. Brett Lee and Shane Warne to be the key men for the test series.

Clifford
21/07/2005, 2:35 PM
Aussies 178 for 9 after only 38 overs or so. I have to assume and hope that this means the Eng will be bowled out for 150ish. Or would the draw be a blessing for the Oz now?

WeAreRovers
21/07/2005, 2:49 PM
Australia 190 all out with 5 wickets for Harmison. Really didn't expect that, England should be looking for a big 1st innings lead now.

KOH

Clifford
21/07/2005, 2:58 PM
Should McGrath and Lee not do similar to the Eng attack?

drinkfeckarse
21/07/2005, 3:40 PM
Trescothick gone for 4 according to the radio 10 minutes ago. 10 for 1 at that stage.

Clifford
21/07/2005, 3:50 PM
14 for 2, I might have been right again.....

Schumi
21/07/2005, 3:51 PM
Doesn't look like this will last past tomorrow!

WeAreRovers
21/07/2005, 4:12 PM
Should McGrath and Lee not do similar to the Eng attack?

Looks like it. :D

England 18 for 3.

KOH

Danny
21/07/2005, 4:17 PM
19-4 now...

Cmon the convicts :D

Stuttgart88
21/07/2005, 4:22 PM
McGrath's figures are 7 for 4 at the moment. Pietersen just off the mark. He's under big pressure to justify the hype & his selection.

Stuttgart88
21/07/2005, 4:23 PM
McGrath just got Flintoff. 21-5, all taken by McGrath for 7 runs. 3 clean bowled!

Clifford
21/07/2005, 4:29 PM
Boom boom, some of my London mates were bleating all morning about what an ashes it's going to be. I didn't realise all 5 matches would fit into the 1 weekend if it continues like this. Ha ha...

holidaysong
21/07/2005, 8:20 PM
Cricket :rolleyes:

What does 27-4 mean?!?

Ignorance is bliss :D

Plastic Paddy
21/07/2005, 9:08 PM
Mrs PP loves it. Me, I have a silent chuckle to myself whenever "England" have a batting collapse. Today was one of those days. :D

:ball: PP

Stuttgart88
22/07/2005, 12:04 PM
Langer, aptly named, has just thrown away his wicket cheaply, brilliantly run out by Pietersen, England's star Sth African!

Aussies have failed to capitalise on McGrath's brilliance yesterday. England still right in this game.

Clifford
22/07/2005, 12:59 PM
47-1 at lunch, hope Hayden and Ponting only have a salad, they need to build a big lead and rip into England tomorrow or Sunday if it goes that far.

Anto McC
22/07/2005, 5:41 PM
Delighted to see this thread,Theres me thinking i'm the only one :rolleyes:

Cricket,the poor mans(Sporting) whipping post :D

Clifford
25/07/2005, 9:40 AM
And as easy as that the Aussies go one up. Wonder will it continue into the summer like this weekend? I've backed OZ to win 2-1 over all. Warne gave some exhibition on Saturday, deadly response by him and McGrath to the allegations of being too old.

Macy
25/07/2005, 10:24 AM
And as easy as that the Aussies go one up. Wonder will it continue into the summer like this weekend? I've backed OZ to win 2-1 over all. Warne gave some exhibition on Saturday, deadly response by him and McGrath to the allegations of being too old.
I'd expect there to be results in all games, given the batting/ bowling perfomances on show in the first test. Too early to call really - if England can survive the press sledging that's going on, they should still be in the series. Catches still win matches....

Duncan Gardner
30/07/2005, 12:04 PM
Going back to widening test status, there's no reason why Ireland, Scotland, Bermuda etc. can't play four-innings games against each other in some sort of Division 2 with Zim and the Desh.

As for Joyce, he has a chance to play for England this winter- they're off to Pakistan. If the politics don't scupper it, should be a good 'un.

The Larrikins to win this one comfortably though...