PDA

View Full Version : Team of season so far

pete
31/05/2005, 1:40 PM
1/3 of league completed so good as time as any for this thread. based on league games only.

Devine
Heary Bennet A.N Other Horgan
O'Callaghan, S Byrne, Kearney
Baker Doyle McCourt

Poor Student
31/05/2005, 1:50 PM
I don't think you could really draw one up. None of us see enough of all eL games to make a real stab. For example your team is practically all Cork/Shels the only two teams getting much exposure this year apart from Longford. Only non big two player is McCourt who we all know for obvious reasons. Scoring wonder goals is the only way you'll really take notice of someone on eL weekly.

MariborKev
31/05/2005, 1:57 PM
Scoring wonder goals is the only way you'll really take notice of someone on eL weekly.

Surely Alan Murphy must be in with a shout for one of the midfield slots then?

5 goals from midfield and many people on here commented on the quality of the strikes against Bray and Drogheda

And......he doesn't moan as much as Georgie

ccfcgirl
31/05/2005, 2:36 PM
Derry must get a mention as been were they are in the table .Alot different to there season last year .

aido_b
31/05/2005, 2:53 PM
Hunt has been immense again for us this season, also Fergal Harkin should get a shout! Killian Brennan looked pretty handy when he played against us too, is he still performing well?

patsh
31/05/2005, 2:55 PM
I don't think you could really draw one up. None of us see enough of all eL games to make a real stab. For example your team is practically all Cork/Shels the only two teams getting much exposure this year apart from Longford. Only non big two player is McCourt who we all know for obvious reasons. Scoring wonder goals is the only way you'll really take notice of someone on eL weekly.
Fair enough, but nobody from Bray, Longford, SPA, UCD, Waterford or Harps would get on it, I would think.
Rovers - only one possible candidate, McCourt.
Bohs - Maybe Harkin?
Derry - Murphy, Farren, any other candidates ????,
Drogheda - Ristilla, any other candidates ????,
$hels - Baker, Ndo, S.Byrne maybe Heery?
City - Doyle, O'Callaghan, Devine, Kearney, Murray?

Dazzy
31/05/2005, 3:07 PM
For Derry Gary Beckett, one of the most important players and the best person to link up attacks. Im sure Heary liked the way he got turned a few times at the brandywell by him :D

terry9
31/05/2005, 3:32 PM
wouldnt ya no it,city fans starting this 'team of the season so far' the minute they go top! :rolleyes:

pete
31/05/2005, 3:39 PM
wouldnt ya no it,city fans starting this 'team of the season so far' the minute they go top! :rolleyes:

Was going to do last week but better to wait until 1 series of games completed.

Xlex
31/05/2005, 5:23 PM
this always happens. he who shouts loudest. Deano is having a great season but realistically the supporters from LT and others will feel some of their side would be there on merit...

Realistically, can't get a honest reflection based on the highlights we have.

You would have to agree that, yop could fill a damn near best 11 out of the top three sides, also nearly the same names always appear on these lists...

superfrank
31/05/2005, 6:08 PM
Fair enough, but nobody from Bray , Longford, SPA, UCD, Waterford or Harps would get on it, I would think
What about Charles or Zayed? :mad: Zayed's scored a few goals this season and Charles has been, in my opinion, our most consistent player this season. I'd also like to add that Charles is always going to win the ball in the air at the back.

A face
31/05/2005, 11:06 PM
Rovers - only one possible candidate, McCourt.

He is on form in fairness

Baker and Ndo well deserved

City - Doyle, O'Callaghan, Devine, Kearney, Murray?

Murray has a mare for the first 5-6 games .... poor, considering what he is able of, shouldn't get a mention ..... Gamble however ... is a totally different matter altogether !!

A face
31/05/2005, 11:08 PM
Also have a look see here !! (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=17545)

patsh
01/06/2005, 7:27 AM
What about Charles or Zayed? :mad: Zayed's scored a few goals this season and Charles has been, in my opinion, our most consistent player this season. I'd also like to add that Charles is always going to win the ball in the air at the back.
I'm not denying that they have played well for Bray, but we are talking about the whole league, and their are players who have scored more goals than Zayed and have played better than him, and their are defenders playing much better than Charles.

Slash/ED
01/06/2005, 1:23 PM

maybe Heary? Out of that list the first one down on the team sheet in either a Shelbourne starting line up or an EL starting line up would be Heary. Stuart Byrne too, and Ndo if he'de played some more games. Baker? No. A few goals don't change the fact he's put in some very poor performances for us, espically against the better opposition of the league. Kelly off of Bohs is far better.

Hawkins and Hoolahan have been about our best players so far this season btw, Wes is in a different league to Baker and Hawkins is back to his very best.

patsh
01/06/2005, 1:59 PM
maybe Heary? Out of that list the first one down on the team sheet in either a Shelbourne starting line up or an EL starting line up would be Heary. Stuart Byrne too, and Ndo if he'de played some more games. Baker? No. A few goals don't change the fact he's put in some very poor performances for us, espically against the better opposition of the league. Kelly off of Bohs is far better.

Hawkins and Hoolahan have been about our best players so far this season btw, Wes is in a different league to Baker and Hawkins is back to his very best.
As I said, maybe Heary.
Neal Horgan is at least as good as him, and has been in better form than Heary this season. Kearney and O'Donovan showed just how easy it can be to get the better of Heary.....:p

ThatGuy
01/06/2005, 2:11 PM
I agree no-one can make an informed decision.

From Bohemians, I would have to nominate two players who I think have been the best in their respective positions this season, Ken Oman and Gareth Farrelly.

In response to the first post, neither played against Cork and I am sure that had they been playing that at least the undecided central defence position would have been considered for Oman, who I believe is an immense talent.

In midfield, I think that Gareth Farrelly simply oozes class. It is a very competitive position, obviously Cork are very strong there too.

Also, Fergal Harkin has been very good for Bohs but again, there is a lot of competition for that spot.

From what I have seen, and I can only really give an in depth view on the Bohs players, I would guess that the team of the season so far is...

Williams
Heary Oman Bennett ?
Harkin Farrelly O'Callaghan Baker
Doyle McCourt

patsh
01/06/2005, 6:36 PM
In midfield, I think that Gareth Farrelly simply oozes class. It is a very competitive position, obviously Cork are very strong there too.

Is this the same Farrelly that so many threads were started on the Bohs MB saying how rubbish he is, wanting to know was it possible to get rid of him and how soon could it be done just a few short weeks ago?:rolleyes:

Colie
01/06/2005, 6:45 PM
Tony MacDonnell - UCD, would get in. He could mark a monster out of a game.

OneRedArmy
01/06/2005, 7:02 PM
None of us are either objective enough or see enough EL football to do this question any real credit.

I know, I'll ask Tom the Gom the next time I see him what his team of the season is.

........... on second thoughts :D

harry crumb
01/06/2005, 7:34 PM
Divine

Horgan Hutton Hawkins Webb

R. Baker O'Callaghan A. Murphy McCourt

Doyle E. Zayed

4 Cork
1 Drogheda
2 Shels
2 Derry
1 Shamrock Rovers
1 Bray

pete
01/06/2005, 8:00 PM

Hunt looks much better than him Farrelly is overweigh but has ok shot.

ThatGuy
02/06/2005, 12:20 PM
Hunt looks much better than him Farrelly is overweigh but has ok shot.
Overweight? Having a laugh?

When have you seen him play btw?

ThatGuy
02/06/2005, 12:22 PM
Is this the same Farrelly that so many threads were started on the Bohs MB saying how rubbish he is, wanting to know was it possible to get rid of him and how soon could it be done just a few short weeks ago?:rolleyes:
Unless you know something I don't then I don't think it is :rolleyes:

pete
02/06/2005, 12:24 PM
Overweight? Having a laugh?

When have you seen him play btw?

Last friday. Hes not over weigh by non-league standards but is by eL standards.
Either that or has small jersey. Saw he struggle to get back & defend on occasions.

Bluebeard
02/06/2005, 1:15 PM
I reckon that the only fair way to do this is for one to talk of the best players not in your own club of preference (this is made easier for me by the fact that the few Blues games I've seen this year have not been exactly glorious).

Teams I've seen
Rovers, Bohs, Pats, Shels, Harps, Bray, UCD, Cork & obviously the Blues.

Teams I haven't
Drogs, Longford, Derry

Rovers: Only saw that one match against Bohs, so no real Rovers impact for me - Feeny did well, but the piper and Roddy were the most exciting parts of their first game.
Bohs: Ken Oman has impressed in the few games I've seen, but young Joxer Kelly played a cracking match last Friday. Farrelly and Hunt are always going to be up there, and it looks likely that their season has turned a corner. Keddy is still muck.
Pats: I remember that their defence was what struck me when I saw them in action, Maguire (maybe it's just the hair) and David Bell stood out, but most of all Barry Ryan back in goal. Caffrey in the middle and Doyle up front seemed their usual selves, and Ger Rowe showed well the two matches I saw.
Shels: Heavily tainted by the two games this week, I am surprised by how poor their hold on the game was. And seeing that Richie Baker was off after 7 mins against us, I can't comment on him. N'do had that bit of control the rest seemed lacking in mids, Stuey Byrne to a lesser degree, Heary as usual. Expected Byrne and Crowe to fail to gell, but this is actually quite ridiculous at this stage.
Harps: Pre McHugh's return, didn't impress me greatly. Minnock is a handy player all the same.
Bray: Damn floodlights. Zayed is a class act even when not playing well, Fox didn't seem to bad, but in fairness, we were awful muck that night. Charles lapped up what we gave him, dunno beyond that.
UCD: I seem to remember Robbie Martin scored the goal against us, and I think he had a decent game to boot, I hate to say it, deserved the goal and all. Their keeper seemed alright too. See under Wes Charles for McDonnell.
Cork: Only saw them on Monday, but looked well, especially in the second half. I thought Neal Fenn did well, , as did yer man on the right that scored the header. George O'Callaghan and Joe Gamble had a fair grip on the game too.

Blues: Don't get me started

patsh
02/06/2005, 2:25 PM
Unless you know something I don't then I don't think it is :rolleyes:
:rolleyes:

Just because you lot got a new version of your MB and deleted all those threads doesn't mean they weren't there.
The endless moaning about him not playing because of an injury that a lot of Bohs fans didn't believe he really had, about him being an inexperienced manager, about not being up to the job, a few digs at him being overweight etc. etc.

Bohs have THE MOST FICKLE FANS in the world, never mind Ireland.....:rolleyes:

ThatGuy
02/06/2005, 2:49 PM
:rolleyes:

Just because you lot got a new version of your MB and deleted all those threads doesn't mean they weren't there.
The endless moaning about him not playing because of an injury that a lot of Bohs fans didn't believe he really had, about him being an inexperienced manager, about not being up to the job, a few digs at him being overweight etc. etc.

Bohs have THE MOST FICKLE FANS in the world, never mind Ireland.....:rolleyes:
A couple of kids give out and that goes for everyone? Muppet :rolleyes:

garykelly
02/06/2005, 4:00 PM
Apologies if this is just meant for Premier teams , but i think Conor O'Grady (MC) , Liam Burns (DC) and Kupono Low (DL) from Sligo Rovers wouldnt be out of place in any league select team. That's not being overly biased or anything. They are quality players. Hopefully we'll get promoted 'cos would lose these players to a higher level for sure.

fitzknows
02/06/2005, 8:55 PM
Chris O'Connor of Bray Wanderers is the best goalie i've seen in the el this season. He's only 20 i think and looks like an outstanding talent.