PDA

View Full Version : Why Cork beating Shels is hilarious!

Shelsman
31/05/2005, 12:58 PM
I have to say that the fact that Cork beat Shels last night has me skitting all day. Yes, the Corkies now think they'll win the league. The reality is that Shels can afford to drop the points, Cork can't.
The facts are simple, Cork might raise their game and occasionaly beat a true quality team like Shels provided they're having an off day ( one win in 9 over Shels is evidence enough ). Cork on the other hand will go out and fail to beat Finn Harps in Turner's Cross in their next fixture, then somehow be surprised by this ?!?!? Do they not realise they are a sh!te team with a handful of good players? I can't wait for the Harps game!

:D :eek: :rolleyes: :p

paudie
31/05/2005, 1:06 PM
I know this is stating the obvious but any decisions about which team is better will be decided by the league table at the end of the season.

City players and (most)fans aren't making any more of last nights win than another three points, admittedly against a team that will be challenging at the end of the season.

tiktok
31/05/2005, 1:06 PM
( one win in 9 over Shels is evidence enough )

To start with, it's 2 in 3 :rolleyes:

Yes, the Corkies now think they'll win the league.

We have as good a chance as anyone, but it's only three points

Man for man you may have a better squad, but you can only play eleven of them at a time, and our first eleven can match anybody's. If I were you i'd be more concerned about your trip to Belfield (the students took points off you in your own ground earlier) than Harps being down here.

Who knows, you lot could be fourth this time next week. :p :D

patsh
31/05/2005, 1:13 PM
Do they not realise they are a sh!te thug team with a handful of good players?
A perfect description of $hels.....

Shelsman
31/05/2005, 1:19 PM
A perfect description of $hels.....

According to one report on last night's match ( in the Sun ), your golden boy O'Donovan managed to take out ( injure them so they had to leave the pitch ) two of the Shels players before he scored, now who's the thug team?

Yet ye call us thugs when O'Callaghan goes down like he's shot if a Shels player goes near him ( as in the Setanta cup game in Turner's Cross ).

In fairness to the rest of the people posters, ye did not rise to my goading -I'm impressed. Fair play to ye.

BTW I was referring to one win in nine LEAGUE games.

pete
31/05/2005, 1:47 PM
I cannot remember how Heary got his injury but O'Donovan slipped when Rogers got injured so totally accidental so thats a crap argument.

Shels have loads of big name players but not many of them are performing. City players are hungrier as are young & their careers are at the beginning.

The final league positions are the only judge as teams rarely fluke league wins.

I don't think anyones saying we WILL win the league - just saying we've proven can beat ye so just to continue form.

tiktok
31/05/2005, 1:58 PM
now who's the thug team?

Shelsman, go count the number of players you've had sent off for violent conduct this season. Then count the number of games that Fenlon and/or Collins have had to sit in the stand. Then have a talk to the people who held Oily back from the Bohs fans on Friday.

Then go worry about the students. :D

Shelsman
31/05/2005, 4:33 PM
In fairness you've all been very reasonable today, maybe all de langers aren't logging in today as I was expecting to get Cork blood boiling. Ah well. I'll be up for ye in Europe anyway ( I'll go to the matches -the draw should be soon ) and to be fair it's good to have other strong teams in the league.

pete
31/05/2005, 5:22 PM
Well i won't be wishing Shels well in Europe this season anyway although everyone was very reasonable in the Tolka Bar after game last night. Pity Oily didn't show up... ;)

EnDai
31/05/2005, 10:44 PM
In fairness, as had been said, its at the end of the season that it counts. 22 games to go, 3 points is nothing now, but the form Shels are in it could very quickly become 6 or 9.

My new job could have me in Cork around the time of your Euro games, if not definately around some league games, so I'll make sure to get some in, always happy to watch a good team play (tho in the X you've been a bit off at times, hopefully I'll get one of those days! :D)

paudie
01/06/2005, 10:28 AM
In fairness you've all been very reasonable today, maybe all de langers aren't logging in today as I was expecting to get Cork blood boiling. Ah well. I'll be up for ye in Europe anyway ( I'll go to the matches -the draw should be soon ) and to be fair it's good to have other strong teams in the league.

If you want to get the reaction you're looking for you should post on the Cork City official website forum where personalised abuse seems to be routine.

adamd164
01/06/2005, 10:38 AM
yes, us beating shels is hilarious - that much is true. the rest - all lies.

The Sheliban
01/06/2005, 10:10 PM
Donovan's "tackle" on Heary was pretty horrendous. Could have easily ended his career. The ref reached for his pocket immediately and all the Cork players crowded round him, thinking it was going to be red, and the ref bottled it and gave a yellow. If the roles were reversed, I'm sure there would have been howls from Cork fans about how Shels bully refs.
Have to say the tackle on Rogers seemed accidental enough.
Shels two sending offs for violent conduct were both retaliatory. Neither was condoned by Shels fans at the time.

paudie
02/06/2005, 11:02 AM
Donovan's "tackle" on Heary was pretty horrendous. Could have easily ended his career. The ref reached for his pocket immediately and all the Cork players crowded round him, thinking it was going to be red, and the ref bottled it and gave a yellow. If the roles were reversed, I'm sure there would have been howls from Cork fans about how Shels bully refs.
Have to say the tackle on Rogers seemed accidental enough.
Shels two sending offs for violent conduct were both retaliatory. Neither was condoned by Shels fans at the time.

Don't agree with you I'm afraid.

Having seen it replayed on TV Donovan's tackle on Heary was just late and he deserved a yellow.

ALL Cork players did not crowd around the ref. About 3 or 4 including Roy and they all dispersed within 10 seconds. Nothing you don't seen all clubs doing every game.

Éanna
02/06/2005, 11:05 AM
Yes, the Corkies now think they'll win the league. Think about this: if we'd beaten Shels once last season, we'd have won the league. We've beaten you twice this season- once in the league. Think about it, and then start worrying :)

Éanna
02/06/2005, 11:07 AM
Don't agree with you I'm afraid.

Having seen it replayed on TV Donovan's tackle on Heary was just late and he deserved a yellow.

ALL Cork players did not crowd around the ref. About 3 or 4 including Roy and they all dispersed within 10 seconds. Nothing you don't seen all clubs doing every game.
Haven't seen it on tv, but no harm in someone going in hard on Heary at all- he does it often enough himself. Roy got booked, case closed. As for the players crowding around the ref- I've said before players should not be allowed to this, they should be booked for it, but if everyone else is doing it, we're putting ourselves at a disadvantage if we don't. It's up to the refs to sort that one out.

EnDai
02/06/2005, 11:07 AM
Think about this: if we'd beaten Shels once last season, we'd have won the league. We've beaten you twice this season- once in the league. Think about it, and then start worrying :)

I'm gonna wait until the end of Series 2 (unless we lose another truck load of games), if thats alright with you? :)

Éanna
02/06/2005, 11:17 AM
I'm gonna wait until the end of Series 2 (unless we lose another truck load of games), if thats alright with you? :)
Fine. Don't worry at all if you don't want :)

paudie
02/06/2005, 12:45 PM

In fact I'm waiting till the end of Series 3.

Shelsman
02/06/2005, 1:05 PM
My new job could have me in Cork around the time of your Euro games, if not definately around some league games, so I'll make sure to get some in, always happy to watch a good team play (tho in the X you've been a bit off at times, hopefully I'll get one of those days! :D)

I used to go to the cross regularly and cheer the team on -cheer whichever team Cork were playing against!

:eek: :D

Dricky
02/06/2005, 1:39 PM
[QUOTE=Shelsman]I have to say that the fact that Cork beat Shels last night has me skitting all day. Yes, the Corkies now think they'll win the league. The reality is that Shels can afford to drop the points, Cork can't.
The facts are simple, Cork might raise their game and occasionaly beat a true quality team like Shels provided they're having an off day ( one win in 9 over Shels is evidence enough ). Cork on the other hand will go out and fail to beat Finn Harps in Turner's Cross in their next fixture, then somehow be surprised by this ?!?!? Do they not realise they are a sh!te team with a handful of good players? I can't wait for the Harps game!

Ah yes less points then us that how you can afford it, best team won.

How many Dublin derbies do you have?

Good luck UCD keep seeing as Shels have already a three in a row this season already, lets help them to 4 in a row.

Dricky
02/06/2005, 1:45 PM
I cannot remember how Heary got his injury but O'Donovan slipped when Rogers got injured so totally accidental so thats a crap argument.

Shels have loads of big name players but not many of them are performing. City players are hungrier as are young & their careers are at the beginning.

The final league positions are the only judge as teams rarely fluke league wins.

I don't think anyones saying we WILL win the league - just saying we've proven can beat ye so just to continue form.

50/50ball Roy's leg was behind him and it seemed to get caught between Rogered's legs.

If in doubt ask rogered.

The Sheliban
02/06/2005, 9:20 PM
Its a bit much too say if Cork would have beaten Shels once last year, they'd have won the league. Nobody knows how teams will react. Maybe Shels wouldn't have been so complacent towards the end of the season. Maybe Cork went on a great run, simply because there was no expectation of them.
This league is still too tight to call. Cork have never been in the situation of leading from the front. How will they cope? How will Shels cope with playing catch-up? And don't write off Derry, Drogs or Bohs either. Any of those five who put a decent string of results together - and each have the capability - will be in a great position.

Éanna
02/06/2005, 11:08 PM
Its a bit much too say if Cork would have beaten Shels once last year, they'd have won the league. Obviously, I was basing that on the number of points both teams got. Interesting fact though, isn't it.

Shelsman
03/06/2005, 4:53 PM
Yes but Cork City's run was intrinsically tied in to the fantastic scoring run that Kevin Doyle had ............and he ain't a City player no more.

Éanna
03/06/2005, 11:43 PM
Yes but Cork City's run was intrinsically tied in to the fantastic scoring run that Kevin Doyle had ............and he ain't a City player no more.
Yeah that is true. Pity we have only have Neale Fenn and Dennis Behan (and possibly Roy O'Donovan) to fall back on :D

Slash/ED
03/06/2005, 11:44 PM
In fairness, good though they are, they aren't in Doyles class.

I'd be more hopeful of getting O'Flynn back to form. A few seasons back Doyle was a bit part player and O'Flynn was at his best, when he was preobably as good as Doyle is now. Then he got injured, and Doyle became as good a player, now Doyles gone, if you get O'Flynn back to his best it's not that big a loss. You never really had them both playing together anyway. If O'Flynn doesn't start scoring this season though I'd get rid of him.

Éanna
03/06/2005, 11:52 PM
Well apparently O'Flynn is 10 days away from being fully fit for the first time in a year, so that's a good sign. Fenn is a class player, as good as Doyler, but just different. Behan isn't top class, but he knows where the goal is and is handy to have in reserve