PDA

View Full Version : Starting 11 V's Israel

Pages : [1] 2

Tired&Emotional
31/05/2005, 12:18 PM
Right lads, now we have a better idea of whos in/out for Saturday what's our starting 11:

Given

S. Reid
O'Brien
King Kenny
O' Shea

A. Reid
Kavanagh
Kilbane
Duffer

Robbie
Clint "Bling bling" Morrison

???

barglee
31/05/2005, 1:02 PM
Is Finnan definetely out?
hopefully he can recover and play.

Dont know about Reid playing right back.Wheres Stephen Kelly -surely a more proven right back than Reid.(Reid last played there for Millwall in Div1 Kellys being playin there all seaon in the premiership)

harps1954
31/05/2005, 1:08 PM
Given
S. Reid - Cunningham - O'Brien - O'Shea
A. Reid - Holland - Kilbane - Duff
Keane - Morrison

Tired&Emotional
31/05/2005, 1:10 PM
Reports this morning that both Finnan & Maybury both out but I would go for Finnan if fit.

Agree re Stephen Kelly but imo Kerr will go for Reid over Kelly re Int. experience etc. for such a crucial game, though I know Reid hasn't got a whole lot of that anyway!

the ox
31/05/2005, 1:11 PM
Given
Finnan if fit, not Steve Reid by any stretch
Harte
O'Shea
Cunningham
Andy Reid
Duff
Kilbane
Holland
Robbie Keane
Clinton

Stuttgart88
31/05/2005, 1:19 PM
OK, I said earlier I'd be inclined to go with O'Shea and Harte at RB and LB respectively. I also said that although I rate Reid highly, I don't rate him as a RB.

So on that basis I'm going with Reid & O'Shea!

I can't remember Israel having any great threat down either flank - I think most of their best play in Tel Aviv was down the middle. Kerr will have done his homework on this though.

Stupid question: is Holland a potential option at right back?

Tired&Emotional
31/05/2005, 1:19 PM
Given
Harte
O'Shea
Cunningham
Andy Reid
Duff
Kilbane
Holland
Robbie Keane
Clinton

IF Finnan is out who would you have in if not S. Reid?

FarBeag
31/05/2005, 1:20 PM
Stephen Kelly has pulled out of the U21s so i assume he is injured ,therefore it gives us no choice but to play Reid which is a bit unfortunate to say the least.I think Finnan and Maybury are both struggling.I would also have Kav instead of Holland.

the ox
31/05/2005, 1:30 PM
IF Finnan is out who would you have in if not S. Reid?

Is Carr not fit? I'd go with Matty Holland at right back and put Kavanagh in mid

Eire06
31/05/2005, 1:31 PM
Is Carr not fit? I'd go with Matty Holland at right back and put Kavanagh in mid
Carrs suspended isn't it.. yellow for time wasting in isreal

Karlos
31/05/2005, 1:38 PM
OK, I said earlier I'd be inclined to go with O'Shea and Harte at RB and LB respectively. I also said that although I rate Reid highly, I don't rate him as a RB.

?

I'd go for O'Shea and Harte - I had previously said Reid but i forgot Ian was back in the squad. Much more natural balance in the side if Harte plays on the left imo.

Tired&Emotional
31/05/2005, 1:39 PM

So on that basis I'm going with Reid & O'Shea!

I can't remember Israel having any great threat down either flank - I think most of their best play in Tel Aviv was down the middle. Kerr will have done his homework on this though.

Stupid question: is Holland a potential option at right back?

I like the logic re Reid & O'Shea, Stuttgart 88 :)
Not sure if Kerr will play Mattie back there BUT if needs be I have no doubt he could do a good job back there.

Isn't it in fashion for centre-mids to play RB when their team needs them to??!! :D

KR's Post
31/05/2005, 1:44 PM
Is Roy ''Legend'' Keane suspended??? Nobody has him on their team

stojkovic
31/05/2005, 1:46 PM
Jesus wept !

Tired&Emotional
31/05/2005, 1:51 PM

The Evening Herald reported he was abducted by aliens ;) :D

Littlest Hobo
31/05/2005, 2:13 PM

the next flight back to Mars is at 7:30pm this coming Saturday.
Don't miss it mate ;)

Karlos
31/05/2005, 2:52 PM
He's been on Mars for a little while now!

it's come from the same guy who predicted a two nil win in the FA Cup Final for Utd. Nothing strange in that i hear you cry, it was the describing of how and by whom the goals where going to be scored that was priceless!!! :)

Quote: C'mon you Reds!!! 2-0 to United.... Van Nistelrooy to open the scoring from a Ronaldo cross and Scholsey to settle it in the Second Half. Without Henry, Arsenal will flop. Roll on the Match, the early morning drinking and Most of all the CELEBRATIONS!!!

Let you away lightly with that one mate! :) :)

the ox
31/05/2005, 3:00 PM

Dunno if he's suspended. I didn't put Roy "traitor" Keane in for obvious reasons.

johnmac
31/05/2005, 3:30 PM
Given
S Reid (if Finnan out), Cunningham, O'Brien, O'Shea

A Reid, Kavanagh, Kilbane, Duff

Robbie Keane, Morrison.

I think Kerr may go with Holland instead of Kavanagh.

Much prefer Stephen Reid and O'Shea, rather than O'Shea and Harte.

Harte unable to get his place at the end of the season in a team relegated from the Primera Liga, any surprised?

With Carr and Roy Keane suspended, but available for next Wednesday, and Stephen Kelly, who would have been my preferred choice at RB suffering a groin strain. Options are fairlly limited for Saturday.

stojkovic
31/05/2005, 3:35 PM
Dunno if he's suspended. I didn't put Roy "traitor" Keane in for obvious reasons.
Would you have had all those other Irish heroes who love playing for their country like - Gary Kelly, Dean Kiely and Lee Carsley. Just wondering.

the ox
31/05/2005, 3:42 PM
Would you have had all those other Irish heroes who love playing for their country like - Gary Kelly, Dean Kiely and Lee Carsley. Just wondering.

If they'd walked out on the eve of a World Cup for petty and selfish reasons then no. But they didn't. If Keane had retired when not in a squad I would have no problem with him.

Tired&Emotional
31/05/2005, 3:48 PM
Please not the Saipan saga again, lads!
To the future not the past ! :)

Munsterchick
31/05/2005, 3:53 PM
Em, he is. Yes.

stojkovic
31/05/2005, 3:54 PM
Please not the Saipan saga again, lads!
To the future not the past ! :)
Will you get 'Tired and Emotional' Eamon ?

Shayser
OSheaser-O'Brien-Cunny-Kilbane
LittleReidy-Kavo-Mattie-Duffmeister
BabyKeane-Clint

If BabyKeane does one flick or dummy to nobody whip him off for Elliot.

Was it my imagination or did BabyKeane look a tad overweight on Saturday ?

Tired&Emotional
31/05/2005, 4:06 PM

Shayser
BabyKeane-Clint

Yeah possibly stojkovic....!
Not sure about Robbie but Reidy (A.) put a few pounds it seemed!
Good to see Robbie hasn't forgotten where he's from with that gold stud he was wearing!!

Now, I'm off to Renards for a few.....(#@!,pencil thrown across desk!) :mad: :D

KR's Post
31/05/2005, 4:25 PM
He's been on Mars for a little while now!

it's come from the same guy who predicted a two nil win in the FA Cup Final for Utd. Nothing strange in that i hear you cry, it was the describing of how and by whom the goals where going to be scored that was priceless!!! :)

Quote: C'mon you Reds!!! 2-0 to United.... Van Nistelrooy to open the scoring from a Ronaldo cross and Scholsey to settle it in the Second Half. Without Henry, Arsenal will flop. Roll on the Match, the early morning drinking and Most of all the CELEBRATIONS!!!

Let you away lightly with that one mate! :) :)
:rolleyes: Ah haa ha... That predicton!!! Ah well :D

Fergie's Son
31/05/2005, 4:26 PM

Shayser
BabyKeane-Clint

Not a bad team (other than the silly abbreviated names, what age are you?). I like Kilbane as a fullback.

stojkovic
31/05/2005, 4:36 PM
Not a bad team (other than the silly abbreviated names, what age are you?). I like Kilbane as a fullback.
We have two Reids and I think BabyKeane is appropriate as he doesnt seem to have matured.

Yes I think Kilbane would be an option. Not only at fullback but I consider Hollands experience and Kavanaghs tackling to be important on Saturday but would also accomodate Kilbane. It is a strong team and I think we will need to bully them a bit.

KR's Post
31/05/2005, 4:38 PM
Oh ye i forgot that!!!! :eek:

NeilMcD
31/05/2005, 4:41 PM
Lads just in case some people dont know.

Roy Keane is Suspended saturday

Stephen Carr is suspended for saturday

Alan Maybury, Richard Dunne, Gary Breen are injured

Finnnan is a doubt but has reported to the squad for treatment and Alan Lee has been called up too.

Finally Macken is ****e

Karlos
31/05/2005, 8:15 PM
:D
:rolleyes: Ah haa ha... That predicton!!! Ah well :D

Well to be honest, you should have been right - any other day it should have finished 2-0!!

fair play for taking it on the chin! :)

zinedineontour
31/05/2005, 9:34 PM
Given
Harte
O'Shea
Cunningham
Andy Reid
Duff
Kilbane
Holland
Robbie Keane
Clinton

no obrien and harte at left back ????

CollegeTillIDie
31/05/2005, 10:12 PM
With Harte at left back and no recognised right back we are vulnerable down both flanks and could be sean bhean bhocht :eek:

stojkovic
01/06/2005, 9:30 AM
Lads just in case some people dont know.

Roy Keane is Suspended saturday

Stephen Carr is suspended for saturday

Alan Maybury, Richard Dunne, Gary Breen are injured

Finnnan is a doubt but has reported to the squad for treatment and Alan Lee has been called up too.

Finally Macken is ****eReading some of the posts on here I'm surprised that some people haven't got Houghton, Townsend and McGrath in their teams. :)

carnstien
01/06/2005, 9:39 AM
Given

Stephen Reid
O'Brien
Cunningham
Kilbane

Finnan (If fit)
O'Shea
Andy Reid
Duff

Morrison
Robbie Keane

The most important thing against these lads it that our midfield can use the ball as they will have loads of it, which is why I wouldn't let the likes of Holland, Stephen Reid or Kilbane near the midfield. In my opinion I've selected our 4 best passers of the ball in the midfield positions. Of course this is just my opinion.

Obviously nobody is going to agree with my team selection but thats what I'd go with. The back 4 is solid and the midfield has width and creativity which is what will be needed to break down a stubborn Isreali defence.

If Finnan is injured, Kav (good passer too) should come into the centre with Andy Reid switching to the right.

loscherland
01/06/2005, 9:55 AM
Rumour has it Duff might be startin on the right... so if that's the case team should look like this

Finnan (Reckon he'll be ok), O'Brien, Cunningham, O'Shea

Duff, Holland, Kilbane, Reid

Keane, 'Fintan' Morrison

tetsujin1979
01/06/2005, 9:56 AM
Given
Finnan (if fit) O'Brien Cunningham O'Shea
A. Reid Kavanagh Kilbane Duff
Robbie Clinton

Kav to hang back and play the holding role
S. Reid to go in at right full if Finnan is injured, the last time Kerr had to move O'Shea to accomodate Harte was 2-0 away to the Swiss.

PS Carnstein, still not proof that O'Shea is a better passer than Kilbane??

SeanieBoy
01/06/2005, 10:30 AM
I think...

GK - Shay
RB - Finnan (if fit)
CB - Kenny
CB - O'Brien
LB - O'Shea (nearly plump for Harte)
RM - A.Reid
CM - Holland
CM - Kilbane
LM - Duffer
ST - Robbie
ST - Clint

We should give S.Reid a run-out at some stage, seems to have had a good season under Sparky at Blackburn. The biggest problem area is defo Left Back, I don't trust O'Shea in the position, but unfortunately Harte isn't exactly solid either, Kilbane could play Left Back & we could put Kav in the centre to replace the loss of Keano Snr.

Tired&Emotional
01/06/2005, 10:48 AM
I think...

We should give S.Reid a run-out at some stage, seems to have had a good season under Sparky at Blackburn. The biggest problem area is defo Left Back, I don't trust O'Shea in the position, but unfortunately Harte isn't exactly solid either, Kilbane could play Left Back & we could put Kav in the centre to replace the loss of Keano Snr.

Agree with possibility of Kilbane droppin' back to LB and Mattie & Graham in CM....but they're gonna have to work hard in middle...

Medical staff givin' Finnan loads of time and he must be ok if they haven't called in sick for him yet...phew if that is the case..

KR's Post
01/06/2005, 11:18 AM
Well to be honest, you should have been right - any other day it should have finished 2-0!!

fair play for taking it on the chin! :)
:D :D :D Obviously a Gooner!!! Roll on next season!!!!! :eek: Well it is all about putting the ball in the net and we didn't, so it serves them right.

carnstien
01/06/2005, 11:42 AM
PS Carnstein, still not proof that O'Shea is a better passer than Kilbane??
How would you suggest I go about providing such "proof"?

Football is a game of opinions and it's my opinion that Kilbane is a woeful passer of the ball and that O'Shea is a very good passer with a particularly good range of passing, ie. he can hit an accurate 40 yard pass whereas Kilbane cannot.

There is no way that I can see that I can prove this.

tetsujin1979
01/06/2005, 12:10 PM

Football is a game of opinions and it's my opinion that Kilbane is a woeful passer of the ball and that O'Shea is a very good passer with a particularly good range of passing, ie. he can hit an accurate 40 yard pass whereas Kilbane cannot.

Stats my boy! Plenty of stats sites on the net (e.g. Opta). Find stats to show that O'Shea has more completed passes (or a better completed pass percentage) than Kilbane and I'll believe you. Until then I wouldn't let him near midfield.

Tired&Emotional
01/06/2005, 12:13 PM

Surely to God there's more to a good midfielder then passing a ball and those other qualities put Kilbane above O'Shea (putting my International Manager's hat on :) ) :confused:

carnstien
01/06/2005, 1:13 PM
Stats my boy! Plenty of stats sites on the net (e.g. Opta). Find stats to show that O'Shea has more completed passes (or a better completed pass percentage) than Kilbane and I'll believe you. Until then I wouldn't let him near midfield.
I did actually try to find such stats but I couldn't.

I honestly think its slightly pointless though because it's not going to change either of our opinions on the matter, as well as the fact that O'Shea having a higher pass completion percentage does not necesseraly make him a better passer than Kilbane and Visa-Versa, especially when you consider that neither of them actually played any significant proportion of the season in central midfield.

elroy
01/06/2005, 1:34 PM
Only realised now that the kick off is half 7 on Sat. How come not the usual 3 o clock?

NeilMcD
01/06/2005, 1:44 PM
I think this will be the team on Sat

Given

Finnan Cunningham O Brien O Shea

Reid Kavanagh/Holland Kilbane Duff

Keane Morrisson

So far Kerr has not sprung any major suprises with team selection in the group.so far and I dont expect that to change. I think people are trying to become managers here on this forum rather than just predict what the team will be. THe only decision to be made is between Kavanagh and Holland. Everything else is a forgone conclusion. I think Duff and Reid will be swapping wings throughout the game. If Finnan is not fit, I think he will go O Shea at right back and Harte at left back or he might gamble with Stephen Reid. It depends on how they are performing in training etc.

Tired&Emotional
01/06/2005, 3:00 PM
I think this will be the team on Sat

So far Kerr has not sprung any major suprises with team selection in the group.so far and I dont expect that to change. I think people are trying to become managers here on this forum rather than just predict what the team will be. THe only decision to be made is between Kavanagh and Holland. Everything else is a forgone conclusion. I think Duff and Reid will be swapping wings throughout the game. If Finnan is not fit, I think he will go O Shea at right back and Harte at left back or he might gamble with Stephen Reid. It depends on how they are performing in training etc.

Agree that Kerr isn't one for surprises & to a large extent the team picks itself. Kav/Holland is the only real decision for Brian, thoughnot sure about brining back Hartey at this stage...

Asfor "people... becoming managers" sure isn't it all just a bit-a-craic :confused: :)

eirebhoy
01/06/2005, 6:34 PM
Just reading an Eamon Dunphy article he said he'd choose Holland over Kav because Holland can score goals. He really hasn't got a clue. :) If Holland was to play on Saturday he will not be scoring a goal unless it comes to him from a set piece. He would be playing the holding role and Kerr doesn't really like the holding player to get forward too often. I doubt Dunphy has even seen Kav play partnering the holding midfielder and given more freedom.

Roy Keane has 1 goal in his last 60 or 70 games. He scored 50 goals previous to that. He can score goals, its just that he is playing a different role now. Dunphy probably thinks he's lost his shooting ability. :)

JimmyP
01/06/2005, 7:49 PM
Some good news:

"Ireland’s hopes were today further enhanced by the fact goalkeeper Dudu Awat is rated very doubtful after sustaining an arm injury in training,"

Breaking News article (http://www.breakingnews.ie/story.asp?j=107747325&p=yx774785x&n=107747927&x=)

pete
01/06/2005, 8:08 PM
Given
O'Shea Cunningham O'Brien Harte
A Reid Holland Kilbane Duff
Morrisson Keane

Could also play Kilbane at left back & Kavanagh in midfield.

I don't like Holland & Kavanagh together as they sit back too much & neither brings the ball forward well. Kavanagh looks good but too slow with ball for home game.