PDA

View Full Version : End of the line for Belfield Park

Pages : [1] 2

CollegeTillIDie
31/05/2005, 7:48 AM
The pitch beside Belfield Park,(New Merville) being dug up at present is not being resurfaced. It is being dug up to make space for Student Residences.
Speaking to Club official Gerry Horkan after last night's game, a man well versed in how the academic political system works, reckons it is only a matter of time before UCD Fuehrer Hugh Brady demolishes Belfield Park to create more lebensraum for students.

It's not as if there are not enough crappy pitches on campus that could easily have been built on and not missed. Owenstown 1,2 and 3 spring to mind. Apparently the agenda is to move all sports away from the SE corner of the campus ( i.e. the Fosters Avenue corner) over to the Sports Centre/ Bowl side of the campus. And on the subject of the Bowl it looks as if we will be roommates of the Rugby club so to speak when the axe falls on Belfield Park. Now the Rugby club are fine people and there's nothing wrong with them from that aspect, the problem is the playing surface. The Bowl is not even a good rugby surface. We will be going from having one of the top 3 surfaces in the EL to having one of the worst by leaving Belfield Park.

And why? Just to build apartments for bloody students who won't even go to games most likely?... .They could go up anywhere else on campus as outlined earlier! rant over for now

fosterdollar
31/05/2005, 8:00 AM
The Owenstown pitches are of a higher ground level and i would imagine their proximity to residential areas would inhibit a potential Planning Application for student accom which usually comprises relatively high rise buildings.

My opinion would be to endure a rugby share for a period with an agreement to gain a new home somewhere on campus in the near future. BP may have an okay surface but the stadium as a whole is no great shakes.

On a side note, is Hugh Brady really viewed as an authoritarian president?

paudie
31/05/2005, 8:08 AM
How would the Bowl fare as regards licencing requirements, spectator facilities etc?

Bald Student
31/05/2005, 10:01 AM
How would the Bowl fare as regards licencing requirements, spectator facilities etc?It doesen't. The name gives it's design away. It's a hole in the ground where spectators stand on a grass slope. The players get changed in the sports centre and walk accross to the pitch.

That's the only saving grace in this fiasco. The Bowl would have to be completly rebuilt and the money should be available from the apartments finance it(property in D4 is quite valuable these days).

In my opinion, more student res is not necessary given that what is already bulit (particularly Glenomena, behind the goal in Belfield Park) is not full. Don't forget that planning permission is also in for 400 apartments on the two rugby pitches behind Hugh Brady's house. In all 5 pitched are being lost to Belfield in the coming years, granted, with the addition of 1 plastic pitch. Campus is running out of space and there is no chance of seperate stadiums for soccer and rugby.

Poor Student
31/05/2005, 10:04 AM
The Bowl would have to be completly rebuilt and the money should be available from the apartments finance it(property in D4 is quite valuable these days).

Should or would?

Clones Road Cas
31/05/2005, 10:14 AM
You'll hardly get a licence to play in the bowl

Bald Student
31/05/2005, 10:53 AM
Should or would?
Should. I'd be surprised if it wasn't though. The alternative would be a loss of eL soccer to the college and even Hugh Brady wouldn't take that step.

Bald Student
31/05/2005, 10:55 AM
On a side note, is Hugh Brady really viewed as an authoritarian president?Yes.

fosterdollar
31/05/2005, 11:10 AM
What's he been up to? I take it his Sports Commitment is not to UCD FC's liking...?

Bald Student
31/05/2005, 11:26 AM
What's he been up to? I take it his Sports Commitment is not to UCD FC's liking...?He see's the university as one big research lab. The students and useless subjects like humanities just get in the way.

He'd like to hire thousands of nerds to research into the natural sciences so as he can go to the big international conferences and act the man.

There's no point in having a sports field in Hugh Brady land when instead you can have apartments generating money to hire more nerds.

I'm not bitter, I'm a generously paid nerd/reseacher myself (thanks for paying your taxes by the way) but he's ruining the place here.

Poor Student
31/05/2005, 11:48 AM
Bald Student, his real plan is to get the nerds to build him the most ultra modern personal gym in the world. ;)

fosterdollar
31/05/2005, 11:53 AM
He see's the university as one big research lab. The students and useless subjects like humanities just get in the way.

He'd like to hire thousands of nerds to research into the natural sciences so as he can go to the big international conferences and act the man.

There's no point in having a sports field in Hugh Brady land when instead you can have apartments generating money to hire more nerds.

I'm not bitter, I'm a generously paid nerd/reseacher myself (thanks for paying your taxes by the way) but he's ruining the place here.
That sounds fairly crap alright. Although I would be tempted to suggest that at least he seems to be making an impact. Cosgrove didn't seem to me to be doing much at all. Apart from attempts to reduce library capacity and opening hours. This was set against the introduction of 24hour library access and increased facilities in many other 3rd level institutions. And he had an Arts background :rolleyes:

Poor Student
31/05/2005, 11:55 AM
I know my department Classics seems to be warring heavily with the authorities. I don't know what over exactly whether it is cut backs or abolition but the authorities seem to want to do something to us feeling we are quite an irrelevant subject.

fosterdollar
31/05/2005, 12:03 PM
I know my department Classics seems to be warring heavily with the authorities. I don't know what over exactly whether it is cut backs or abolition but the authorities seem to want to do something to us feeling we are quite an irrelevant subject.
I thought a big gripe in the Arts dept. was the intention to split it up in to different sections. From what i could make out, only one of the proposed sections (can't rem which one) were okay with it because it meant they would see an increase in funding whereas the others would see a decrease.

As regards the sciences in UCD, i only have first hand experience of the Engineering & Architecture faculty, but I do believe that over the last ten years or so corporate interest has been afforded to much influence in the material covered by both undergrads and postgrads. A QA analysis seems to be flagging this at the moment, thankfully, as i read on the net recently.

fosterdollar
31/05/2005, 12:04 PM
Sorry for taking this off topic, maybe a mod could split?

Poor Student
31/05/2005, 12:08 PM
I thought a big gripe in the Arts dept. was the intention to split it up in to different sections. From what i could make out, only one of the proposed sections (can't rem which one) were okay with it because it meant they would see an increase in funding whereas the others would see a decrease.

You're right. It has been (?) split into the Faculty of Human Sciences, subjects like Sociology, Politics and that kind of stuff and Humanities like History, Geography, languages etc. You'll see this division if you got to the horribly laid out and confusing www.ucd.ie . I have no idea what it implies or means to be honest. I for example am taking Greek & Roman Civilization and Politics one from each and I never received any info on this division.

Aberdonian Stu
31/05/2005, 12:17 PM
I don't think this has gone off topic Magoo. The future of the college has a direct bearing on the future of UCD AFC.

A lot of the modernisation plans make sense to me but I am firmly against the loss of green areas in Belfield. I acknowledge that this isn't entirely the Administration's fault as getting planning to build anything higher than Schumi's noggin is a nightmare in this country but the fact that the tallest buildings in UCD are only three or four stories high (with part of Arts being an exception) is farcical. We could make better use of the space available without destroying the natural environment of Belfield.

fosterdollar
31/05/2005, 12:29 PM
This is true but i suppose the problem is that UCD encompasses a huge area with acres of green space and pressure is more than likely put on them to keep filling this before going up. I suppose, in fairness, areas like the Owenstown pitches only get token use anyway - just because they are there. even over towards Richview there is a fair bit of space, the use of which is not being maximised.

pineapple stu
31/05/2005, 12:34 PM
How would the Bowl fare as regards licencing requirements, spectator facilities etc?
As far as I know, there is an agreement that our move will coincide with building the Bowl up to UEFA Licence requiments - i.e. 1,500 seater stand, changing areas, etc. There is, I imagine, some money in the club's refurbishment account from when we had intentions to build a 1,200 seater stand on the West Bank hill in Belfield Park, so I don't know if the College are gonig to build the ground for us in compensation for kicking us out of Belfield Park or if we're going to have to put money into it ourselves.

pineapple stu
31/05/2005, 12:36 PM
Another issue with regards the destruction of the green areas and pitches is that the Superleague could well be forced to become much smaller. At the moment, I think there are 60 teams each year with some being turned away. The league, as far as I know, is effectively run by the club, so any reduction in teams would reduce our profits from it (after paying for rent of pitches, etc.)

Schumi
31/05/2005, 12:40 PM
As far as I know, there is an agreement that our move will coincide with building the Bowl up to UEFA Licence requirements ... changing areas
They've bulit changing rooms there (they look finished but might still have work to be done on the inside). Looks pretty good from the outside anyway.

I'll go and take a few photos tomorrow and stick them up somewhere so people can get an idea of what the place is like.

Poor Student
31/05/2005, 1:45 PM
My dad is a lotto retailer and he gets this monthly lotto newsletter. There's a small bit in it about the new pavillion.

UCD SPORTS PAVILLION CHANGING FACILITY

UCD's new Sports Pavillion Changing Facility has received a grant of 700,000 Euro from the National Beneficiary Fund through the Department of Arts, Sport and Tourism. The Sports Pavillion includes four top class international standard changing rooms, incorporating physiotherapy rooms and ice baths. This new facility will provide much needed changing accomodation for use by all UCD outdoor sports. The Irish National Hockey Association will also use the facility when hosting events in the National Hockey Stadium.

The pics indicate it is somewhere near the water tower and sports centre I think. The inside pics show only empty rooms. Sounds top class though. Still though you'd hardly get changed there and trek across to the Bowl would you? :confused:

Schumi
31/05/2005, 1:55 PM
It's right beside the Bowl. I'll see if I can find a map somewhere.

Poor Student
31/05/2005, 2:00 PM
I'm assuming if a grant to help alone was 700k and this is only for the building seeing as we own the land this must be a very good facility. I think we held some championships in hockey before, world or European so if they hold things on that scale they'd want a very good facility.

Does the Bowl itself have its own dressing room or is this it for the future?

Also I know very little about pitches. Why do we have such a nice one at Belfield Park and such a crap one at the Bowl? Is it something that could be rectified? Would the two sports sharing the ground wreck the pitch anway? Where are the U-21s going to play? Do the rugby and soccer seasons overlap at all?

fosterdollar
31/05/2005, 2:04 PM
It's right beside the Bowl. I'll see if I can find a map somewhere.
So were they built as part of the new Astro pitches project etc.?

Poor Student
31/05/2005, 2:05 PM
So were they built as part of the new Astro pitches project etc.?

From the blurry picture on the lotto newsletter it seems to be right beside them.

fosterdollar
31/05/2005, 2:12 PM
You'd never know lads, sharing with the Rugby club may be to your advantage. More powerful joint lobby. Plus the potential for development at the bowl from what i can picture in my head seems to be better than Belfield Park. It would be prudent to get such plans in place before moving though, needless to say.

On the other hand, it could be a total disaster. The situation will require some good management by those involved on your 'side'. :ball:

Schumi
31/05/2005, 2:12 PM
Does the Bowl itself have its own dressing room or is this it for the future?
This will be the Bowl's dressing room (they used the Sports' Centre up to now), I didn't realise that it'd be used by hockey too.

Also I know very little about pitches. Why do we have such a nice one at Belfield Park and such a crap one at the Bowl? Is it something that could be rectified?Drainage I believe (although it's not something I know too much about either). The Bowl (as the name implies) has the pitch below the surrounding ground so water doesn't drain as easily. There could well be other factors too but I think that's the main one.

Would the two sports sharing the ground wreck the pitch anway?Depends on the amount of maintainance it gets i'd imagine.
Where are the U-21s going to play?Good question. I hadn't thought of that. There aren't too many decent pitches on campus.
Do the rugby and soccer seasons overlap at all? The rugby season runs from October to the middle of April so about a month at either end of the season will overlap. The lack of a rest period could be more of a problem though.

Poor Student
31/05/2005, 2:13 PM
By the way is anyone actually fighting against this on the AFC's behalf?

CollegeTillIDie
31/05/2005, 6:41 PM
We have hosted a Women's Hockey World Cup (1994) and a Men's European Hockey Championships (1995) in Belfield.

Bald Student
31/05/2005, 7:25 PM
Also, as I was passing Owenstown today I noticed red poles and markings laid out on the top two pitches. I don't want to be alarmist but it looks as though the site is being surveyed.

Poor Student
31/05/2005, 7:27 PM
Also, as I was passing Owenstown today I noticed red poles and markings laid out on the top two pitches. I don't want to be alarmist but it looks as though the site is being surveyed.

I remember seeing something about a month ago there but I thought they were laying pipework or something.

Bald Student
01/06/2005, 12:21 PM
Cycling in this afternoon I noticed builders fencing going up atound the top Owenstown pitch.

I'll keep you updated.

pineapple stu
01/06/2005, 12:21 PM
By the way is anyone actually fighting against this on the AFC's behalf?
Not sure. The club have been aware of it for a while, and so I presume have lodged some objection with the college. Our licencing officer is very much in favour of the move. It should be noted too that, in fairness to the college, when they do build sports facilities, they're usually very good (the national hockey stadium, athletics track which hosts some major domestic races, Hugh Brady's tennis courts).

Schumi
01/06/2005, 12:48 PM
I'll go and take a few photos tomorrow and stick them up somewhere so people can get an idea of what the place is like.
As promised: See here (http://photobucket.com/albums/v239/SchumiUCD/Bowl/). Click on the pictures for a decent sized version.

pineapple stu
01/06/2005, 1:15 PM
The pitch is in better condition than I thought it would be (though off season, I suppose). The slope is also less than I'd thought. There's a lot of work to be done to block off the pitch from cheapskates who don't want to pay in though!

Poor Student
01/06/2005, 2:46 PM
I can't load the pics. Definately a problem with my comp though. Nevermind. I got the 17 from the Blackrock Examination Centre today and also saw some major work going on at the Owenstown pitches. A lot of fencing going up. The goals taken down. Pitches may have digging in them too. Though they never looked good at the best of times.

Where do you lads personally stand on this? Good thing or bad thing? I assume the cons are tradition and sentimental for the mainpart? And possibly a poor pitch?

Bald Student
01/06/2005, 2:59 PM
If the pitch can be improved and a new stadium is built I'm not opposed to the move. Realistically Belfield Park is not likely to meet any kind of UEFA licence criterion.

I am opposed to so many pitches being lost to the superleague, allthough the top Owenstown pitch was in a joke of a state.

pineapple stu
01/06/2005, 6:38 PM
Lost by the league, I think he means.

Bald Student
02/06/2005, 11:40 AM
Sorry for being unclear Shooter. I meant that the pitches that the league currently uses would be put under buildings. This will reduce the amount of teams that can compete. That's what I meant by pitches being lost.

On an aside, has anyone played on the new full size plasitc pitch? I've played on the smaller ones and they're very good. As close to playing on grass as you can get without playing on grass. They need to be a little wet for the sake of the keeper though.

Aberdonian Stu
02/06/2005, 1:41 PM
I know of only one team that likes it, my old gang Real Krapp and that's just because they've a good record on it. Most the lads I've spoken too complain about the surface and that it's too short as well.

Student Mullet
02/06/2005, 4:54 PM
I asked a builder on the Owenstown site today and he said it's turning into apartments.

Schumi
02/06/2005, 5:07 PM
Is that in addition to the building on Belfield Park? :confused:

Poor Student
02/06/2005, 5:24 PM
I asked a builder on the Owenstown site today and he said it's turning into apartments.

I reckon that's right. I went into UCD past Owenstown again today and the field nearest the gate is totally fencing off. They were laying down planks which looks like preperation for foundations. There was also a big mixer truck. Does anyone know if they ever got planning permission confirmed for this? Or is this preliminary judging work to see if it is suitable?

pineapple stu
02/06/2005, 5:34 PM
Sure do u remember the 1st half of the season, the goal down the far end wasn't put in properly and 1 side was bout 8ft high and the other normal!!
You do know that the regulation height for a soccer goal is 8ft! ;)

Owenstown's not much of a pitch, though. It must be at least 20 yards too narrow!

Poor Student
02/06/2005, 5:44 PM
If the pitch was a yard shorter on each side the box would have been the sideline!

Poor Student
02/06/2005, 5:56 PM
By the way Shooter you seem to be fairly new so welcome to the UCD forum. ;)

Student Mullet
02/06/2005, 9:43 PM
What's being erected there is a permanent fence to replace the temporary one put up during the week. They wouldn't be putting that fence up for a small job.

I've never seen a planning notice for the site but the permission could be up to five years old.

It looks like the amount of green space on campus could halve over the next year or so, which would be a shame.

Poor Student
02/06/2005, 9:44 PM
It looks line the ammount of green space on campus could halve over the next year or so, which would be a shame.

True. I always enjoyed the drive through all the green space coming through the Owenstown gate.

CollegeTillIDie
04/06/2005, 7:48 AM
The Superleague may become an astro only competition in the future. :confused: