PDA

View Full Version : Celtic v Ireland online

TerryPhelan
29/05/2005, 12:33 PM
Anyone know of a site where I could follow the game today? Stranded over in Copenhagen and no pubs seem to be showing it. Can't handle a live radio or video-stream, but is there somewhere that would just give a live text Matchtracker maybe?!

Thanks a million...

Poor Student
29/05/2005, 2:08 PM
I don't think you'll find one. I believe it is on Celtic's site as part of one of the pay packages.

Poor Student
29/05/2005, 3:01 PM
I think Ireland won 1-0 with Robbie Keane scoring in the final minute.

robbie-keane
29/05/2005, 3:03 PM
On the celtic website was said 0-1 but on RTE they say there are no goals...

stupid...

but i don't know who scored...

Poor Student
29/05/2005, 3:07 PM
On the celtic website was said 0-1 but on RTE they say there are no goals...

stupid...

but i don't know who scored...

Surely you should remember scoring the goal? And is foot.ie that great that you already rushed from the game to post? :D

FarBeag
29/05/2005, 3:08 PM
1-0 to Ireland..Robbie scored late on.over 50000 fans turned out

Poor Student
29/05/2005, 3:08 PM
1-0 to Ireland..Robbie scored late on.over 50000 fans turned out

Does that mean there wasn't a full house?

robbie-keane
29/05/2005, 3:09 PM
haha :)

But I have a question about "my"/the goal:
Does it count as "my"/his 25th goal or was the game to unofficial because it wasn't against a national team?

Plastic Paddy
29/05/2005, 3:10 PM
It won't count as it isn't a full international match. Sorry Robbie, you're stuck on 24 until next Saturday at least. :)

:ball: PP

Poor Student
29/05/2005, 3:23 PM
haha :)

But I have a question about "my"/the goal:
Does it count as "my"/his 25th goal or was the game to unofficial because it wasn't against a national team?

Plastic Paddy is completely correct. No official caps or goals awarded.

aido_b
29/05/2005, 4:42 PM
Match review .....

http://breakingnews.ie/2005/05/29/story204758.html

Green Tribe
29/05/2005, 8:23 PM
Match review .....

http://breakingnews.ie/2005/05/29/story204758.html

fair write up of the game, 2nd half was much better, saw the Pope fan, class! Mad cheering when larsson and moravcik were warming up/coming on. ireland support was quiet/in a minority. celtic fans were much noisier cos of mcnamara, moravcik, larsson, o'neill leaving etc.

Robbie sneaked the goal at the very end....woo-hoo :D

Eirambler
29/05/2005, 8:51 PM
Ya, just back from the game, not a whole lot to report to be honest, its hard to make concrete judgements at a testamonial

But seeing as Ireland only play 10-12 games a year I'm going to try anyway...

Reid started at right back, hope this doesn't mean we might need him there against Israel, he looked out of position (probably because he was)

Given looked sharp as ever in goal, Joe Murphy was a bit dodge, but he's only third choice anyway

McGeady played a bit for both teams, from what I've seen of him the second half of this season he might need a year or two to step up to international level

Elliott was lively with little end product

Robbie was his usual self, over elaborated sometimes but got his goal

Overall you'd feel that without the two Keanes and Duff we are a fairly average side, but like I said this is all based on a match where I could count the tackles on my fingers.

There didn't seem to be too many people there supporting Ireland, when we jumped up for the goal we were getting some very strange looks...good crowd overall though

Green Tribe
29/05/2005, 9:32 PM
There didn't seem to be too many people there supporting Ireland, when we jumped up for the goal we were getting some very strange looks...good crowd overall though

i know! we weren't sure if it was a goal or not stuck at the opposite end cos it was so silent :eek: :o

Superhoops
29/05/2005, 9:41 PM
......There didn't seem to be too many people there supporting Ireland......
Unless they were Celtic fans as well, Ireland fans would have no interest in this farce. Put hard earned cash in McNamara's pocket, you are having a laugh!

JimmyP
29/05/2005, 10:14 PM
That was a fairly unusual game, to say the least. Messy, confused formations that never really kept any shape...

I knew it was going to be experimental, but I wouldn't have pictured a back line of:

O'Brien Roy Keane McCarthy S. Reid
with Murphy in goal.

I can see why Kerr's would want to have a look at Carr at LB (as Finnan should be a cert for RB if he's fit), although I didn't think he a good game at all; a few dirty fouls that would be a liability in a competitve match.

I thought Steven Reid did fairly well for someone that never plays in that position, Miller and Doherty were surprisingly ok (well, better than expected) - Doc even laid the ball in for Robbie's goal.
At times, Murphy looked extremely suspect in goal.

In all, aside from giving everyone a run out, it may have been useful to have a look at some different combinations on the off chance that, God forbid, we're completely plagued with injuries some day.

I noticed O'Shea was the only one that didn't feature - still an injury concern?

reland XI: Given (Kenny 45, Murphy 68), Steven Reid (Carr 80 mins), Doherty, Cunningham (O'Brien 45), Carr (McGeady 68), Quinn (Holland 45), Miller (Roy Keane 45), Kilbane (Kavanagh 45), Andy Reid (Duff 45), Morrison (Robbie Keane 45), Elliot (McCarthy 68)

sligoman
29/05/2005, 11:41 PM
....Nobody mentioned about Miller getting boood <-(spelling? :confused: :D ) every time he got the ball. What do ye think, was it harsh? I mean after all it was supposed to be just a fun day, nothing serious! :ball:

thecorner
29/05/2005, 11:43 PM
....Nobody mentioned about Miller getting boood

strange to see celtic fans booing a fellow irishman :p

tetsujin1979
30/05/2005, 9:17 AM
I noticed O'Shea was the only one that didn't feature - still an injury concern?

O'Shea's grandmother passed away and he was given time off to attend the funeral.

Steven Reid played at right full at the start of his Blackburn career, and, by his own admission, was a waste there, he's revelling in the new midfield role under Hughes.

Stuttgart88
30/05/2005, 9:41 AM
I'ma big admirer of Reid but not at full-back. Sourness played him there at the start of his Blackburn career & it did his confidence no good at all. McGeady skinned him on at least one occasion that I saw though he did make a great tackle on Bellamy. It's a pity Carr didn't impress at left-full though. I only saw 20 mins and thought he OK. It was an option I wouldn't have thought of.

I thought Miller looked handy enough though. God he needs first team football. Please take him back Celtic!

AmenToThat
30/05/2005, 3:51 PM
I was dissapointed with McGeady, he looks a shadow of the player he was before Christmas.
At his age its to be expected that he will have times where he looses form and hopefully he'll be back to his best when the new season starts.

Delighted to see Miller getting pelters but I was dissapointed with Carrs tackle in the second half, what the hell was that about?
Apparently he had a row with Robbie Keane after the game as well as Robbie put on a Celtic shirt and went to applaud the Celtic/Ireland fans.
Dont know what the full story is there though.

eirebhoy
30/05/2005, 5:50 PM
Aye, Carr's tackle was not called for. Balde used his strength to get Keane off the ball and Carr must have thought "who does he think he is" and just lashed out as he ran by. Most Celtic fans will let him away with is as after the match Balde said he wants to go to Bayern. :)

AmenToThat
31/05/2005, 3:53 PM
Its pretty much a done deal I think.

NeilMcD
31/05/2005, 4:34 PM
I thought it was madness that Celtic fans were booing Miller during a testimonial for Jackie Mc Namara against a country that they supposedly follow over the own country. But its this sort of mentality that leads to Celtic fans abusing Scotland fans on the streets of Glasgow during internationl weekends saying things like

" What are you supporting that ****e team for".

supasparx
31/05/2005, 5:01 PM
I thought booing Miller was awful. And alot of true Celtic fans I spoke to after the game seemed to blame the club for not sorting out his contract sooner, rather than him for leaving the SPL.
With regards to his move to united, he was never going there for immediate first team football anyway. So why Celtic fans have branded him a flop is beyond me. One more season in the wings at united and he's gonna come good.( Anyway, I hope so from an Irish point of view)

eirebhoy
31/05/2005, 5:21 PM
Ah c'mon lads, I wouldn't have booed Miller because he's Irish but if he wasn't Irish I would have gave him a tough time. Any set of fans would have booed a player in that situation.

Orchard Celt
31/05/2005, 7:08 PM
I thought booing Miller was awful. And alot of true Celtic fans I spoke to after the game seemed to blame the club for not sorting out his contract sooner, rather than him for leaving the SPL.
With regards to his move to united, he was never going there for immediate first team football anyway. So why Celtic fans have branded him a flop is beyond me. One more season in the wings at united and he's gonna come good.( Anyway, I hope so from an Irish point of view)

Miller got what he deserved I thought. I didn't booed him as I wouldn't waste my time on him. I know that Miller had "agreed" to a Celtic deal with MON without ever signing it yet, as time dragged on a bit without him signing he appeared in the Celtic View or a match day program stating "everythings fine, I love the place, the fans, the manager and the city" and the best one "I hope to sign very soon".

MON got a bit angry with Miller and following a 2-1 defeat away to Hibs in the CIS cup MON lit on Miller at full time over his commitment to Celtic. I think Miller was then dropped and just after Xmas the players had a free week.

Without informing Celtic or MON Miller flew to Manchester and signed for Utd which was very disrespectfull to the club and manager.

Miller is a ratboy and we Celtic fans will be laughing when he signs for West Brom or Norwich during the summer as Man Utd fans (who actually go to games, yes there are some believe it or not) say the guy is awful.

Orchard Celt
31/05/2005, 7:18 PM
Ah c'mon lads, I wouldn't have booed Miller because he's Irish but if he wasn't Irish I would have gave him a tough time. Any set of fans would have booed a player in that situation.

I thought Roy Keane may have got a bit of stick, nothing serious, friendly banner, pity he'll never play for his "bhoyhood hero's", at least guys like Lennon and Martin O'Neill give up the premiership for a chance to as St.Martin put it "explore a dream"

Poor Student
31/05/2005, 7:19 PM

The reason why Miller is talked about in terms of flop is he was late enough breaking into the scene at Celtic already without then going to a new club with a better squad to try and establish himself. At the age of 24 he has yet to hold down a place for one season at senior level. He is not a young lad in football terms. He was begining to establish himself at Celtic and he just moved on to an even harder place to establish yourself. The move doesn't make sense from a footballing point of view. You could call him ambitous but I thought it was stupid of him.