View Full Version : Shels record in Europe

JC_GUFC
27/05/2005, 8:54 PM
Was just checking up some stats I did for rsssf.com a few years back
http://www.rsssf.com/tablesi/ier-ec.html

Amazingly Shels have only ever won 4 games in Europe!!! :eek:

Slash/ED
27/05/2005, 10:02 PM
Yes but they've also won more ties than any other team in Ireland bar Bohs who have won the same amount.

harpskid
27/05/2005, 10:07 PM
Which Irish club has won the most Euopean games?

JC_GUFC
27/05/2005, 10:19 PM
Rovers have won 10 - but as Slash/Ed pointed out they've actually only ever won 4 ties in Europe whereas Bohs & Shels have won 5 ties each.

Only United & Drogs have a 100% record in Europe - though Drogs have only ever qualified for Europe once whereas United have qualified 3 times! :D

Slash/ED
27/05/2005, 10:21 PM
Drogheda United
1983-1984 UEFA 1st Tottenham Hotspur (Eng) H 0-6 0-8

100% record? :confused:

pineapple stu
27/05/2005, 11:19 PM
Galway have played six and lost six!

St Pat's had never won a game before that InterToto campaign, whern they beat Rijeka and Gent.

pete
28/05/2005, 11:21 AM
Yes but they've also won more ties than any other team in Ireland bar Bohs who have won the same amount.

Huh? So they've won more than any other team...except Bohs...?

:confused:

City have 5 wins in Europe. Won 3 Ties.

adamcarr
28/05/2005, 11:32 AM

:confused:

City have 5 wins in Europe. Won 3 Ties.
Actually 6

Cwbran 2-1
Kiev 2-1
IFK 1-0
Malmo 3-1
Malmo 1-0
NEC 1-0

Slash/ED
28/05/2005, 6:14 PM

Yes.... :confused:

What's confusing about that? Ourselves and Bohs have both won five ties in Europe, more than any other Irish club (Bar Linfield for the pedantic :) )

pineapple stu
28/05/2005, 9:07 PM
Actually 6

Cwbran 2-1
Kiev 2-1
IFK 1-0
Malmo 3-1
Malmo 1-0
NEC 1-0
I think he means two-legged ties rather than games. Cork didn't beat Kiev or IFK, and Malmö only counts as one.

pete
28/05/2005, 9:50 PM
I think he means two-legged ties rather than games. Cork didn't beat Kiev or IFK, and Malmö only counts as one.

Shels won 4 games & 5 ties.
CCFC won 6 games & 3 ties.

bigmac
30/05/2005, 6:02 PM
Only United & Drogs have a 100% record in Europe - though Drogs have only ever qualified for Europe once whereas United have qualified 3 times! :D

Did I miss them both winning European trophies? Thought 100% meant winning every game or am I missing something? :confused:

sullanefc
30/05/2005, 10:20 PM
100% Losing streak ;)

paudie
31/05/2005, 8:30 AM

Not being picky but just to point out that according to that link UCD beat Everton 1-0 in 1984-85

NY Hoop
31/05/2005, 12:33 PM
What a laugh. Arguing over who has won many ties. Who cares? Its how many wins you have that counts. We are top with 10 and top scorers. FACT.

KOH

Slash/ED
31/05/2005, 6:37 PM
How in the name of god is wins more important than winning ties? You don't go out to win matches you go out to win ties, do you think Porto give a sh*te they lost to that Welsh side a few years back?

pineapple stu
01/06/2005, 12:40 PM
Not being picky but just to point out that according to that link UCD beat Everton 1-0 in 1984-85
The Irish team's score is first in all cases, not just if they're home. Don't recall Waterford beating Man Utd 7-1 in 1968! :eek: :)

paudie
01/06/2005, 2:05 PM
The Irish team's score is first in all cases, not just if they're home. Don't recall Waterford beating Man Utd 7-1 in 1968! :eek: :)

Its been changed since I made that post.

Either that or my dyslexia is worse than I thought

NY Hoop
03/06/2005, 12:22 PM
You don't go out to win matches [/QUOTE]

You're more clueless than ollie. Going through to the next round in european competition is obviously the goal.

And the away leg is on the right and the H or A denotes which leg was first.

KOH

Sliogán Dóite
03/06/2005, 5:38 PM
Arguing over who has won many ties. Who cares? Its how many wins you have that counts

Going through to the next round in european competition is obviously the goal

Make up your mind!

Slash/ED
03/06/2005, 11:09 PM
You don't go out to win matches

You're more clueless than ollie. Going through to the next round in european competition is obviously the goal.

And the away leg is on the right and the H or A denotes which leg was first.

KOH

What in the name of christ are you on about?

Going through to the next round in european competition is the goal, exactly, that's why I said winning the overall tie means something, winning one off matches means nothing.

So what is it? You've completley contradicted your first post.

The Sheliban
03/06/2005, 11:19 PM
Whatever.
Irish clubs records in Europe over the years has been pretty abysmal. However, much of that was due to the chicken and egg syndrome that Ireland suffered from in the 70s and 80s - you don't get favourable ties, because you aren't seeded and you aren't seeded because you don't win games.
With summer football, this might change. Hopefully last year wasn't a once-off.

A face
04/06/2005, 1:20 AM
With summer football, this might change. Hopefully last year wasn't a once-off.

Hopefully not ... and this year there is even more pressure on them to be honest, ...... might not be good but it is the way it is panning out. It is vital that Irish clubs do well this year, more so than last year .... the profile of the league is at stake here and what is worrying me is that there is little or no attention to it this year from fans and media ..... hopefully that is not he same in the clubs and they are getting prepared.

NY Hoop
13/06/2005, 12:36 PM

Think somebody had to correct your 'stats'!

KOH

royalblue
14/06/2005, 9:54 PM
Hi guys, when you say Ireland define it at sourthern Ireland lol, as both Linfield and Glentoran have won more euro ties than all southern teams.

Just to put that straight.

pete
15/06/2005, 10:24 AM
Hi guys, when you say Ireland define it at sourthern Ireland

No such thing. Its the Republic or Northern Ireland.

bigmac
15/06/2005, 11:48 AM
Hi guys, when you say Ireland define it at sourthern Ireland lol, as both Linfield and Glentoran have won more euro ties than all southern teams.

Just to put that straight.

Helps that they both qualify for Europe pretty much every year. what's the various percentages for clubs?

royalblue
15/06/2005, 12:54 PM
Okay Republic lol, thanks for clearing that up. I would love to see all teams North and south doing well in europe, except glentoran lol. As long as it helped improve our local leagues, I wouldnt care which Irish team got the furthest (would like it to be Linfield). I just want to see better football, better players and for the grounds to be full again. I remember watching Linfield play Glentoran at windsor, with more than 24000 at the match. Unfortunately it only lasted 50 mins due to fog. Would just love to see big crowds again. My dad used to attend matches in the 40's 50's 60's when 50000 would watch Linfield and Belfast Celtic. Tired of people staying in watching premireship football when theyre so called local team plays that same night. Anyway all the best to the teams in the republic, go for it in europe.

Needed to get that of my chest lol
:)

De Town
15/06/2005, 1:15 PM
Okay Republic lol, thanks for clearing that up. I would love to see all teams North and south doing well in europe, except glentoran lol. As long as it helped improve our local leagues, I wouldnt care which Irish team got the furthest (would like it to be Linfield). I just want to see better football, better players and for the grounds to be full again. I remember watching Linfield play Glentoran at windsor, with more than 24000 at the match. Unfortunately it only lasted 50 mins due to fog. Would just love to see big crowds again. My dad used to attend matches in the 40's 50's 60's when 50000 would watch Linfield and Belfast Celtic. Tired of people staying in watching premireship football when theyre so called local team plays that same night. Anyway all the best to the teams in the republic, go for it in europe.

Needed to get that of my chest lol
:)
great post :cool:

royalblue
15/06/2005, 1:19 PM
Thanks man, I appreciate it. :)