PDA

View Full Version : Delaney.......

Gary
09/03/2002, 4:28 PM
....Started today for Lei€ester in Midfield. Dave Basset said he had to be used due to injuries and suspensions, even though he isnt ready for the first team quite yet.

Just a few more appearances now and we'll be getting our million! Arent we lucky we have a board with such foresight? :D

Neil
09/03/2002, 5:07 PM
What actually is the deal? We get what after how many appearances?

Jack_2001
09/03/2002, 11:20 PM
Apparently he fecked up for the Charlton goal

Pablo
10/03/2002, 11:54 AM
i think GWA was being sarcastic.....dont think there is a deal..which is a joke.
add ons make a deal...

Patsys Fags
11/03/2002, 9:21 PM
I think the original deal was £50,000 staight away and £15,000 for his first appearance.Nothin else though!!!!!!!!!

MikeW
11/03/2002, 9:45 PM
If that was the deal it certainly leaves a lot to be desired. As far as I remember, the guy played in the Leicester first team within weeks of being signed. I'm not singling City out here, undervaluing players is a problem with all Eircom League clubs, but 50k is absolutely pathetic for a promising young player. 50k wouldn't buy a 38 year old reserve full back in the third division in England, so why is 50k good enough for a top young prospect at an Irish side?

I know people will say "we didn't want to stand in the way of his career" and all that crap, but football is a business, and like it or not City and other Irish sides just have to become more professional to survive. You can help a players career, but at the same time get a decent transfer fee for the guy, its not like Leicester are that short of money. Like anything, it'll just take one club to make a stand and hold out for what a players worth to hopefully turn this whole "6 tracksuits and a packet of crisps" for young players thing around.

Sorry if this sounds like a bit of a rant (it is), but its a pet hate of mine. Its bad enough most of the best young players are robbed for nothing by english teams before they're 15, but we can't let the ones who did slip through the net leave for next to nothing.

Patsys Fags
11/03/2002, 10:43 PM
Totally agree with ya. If Delaney was with a lower division english side he would have been sold for much more than £50,000.I think its also because were outside dublin.Look at richie foran, Carlisle paid £100,000 for him and there in severe debt and there in the 3rd division!!!!!!! Its a joke!!!!!

pete
12/03/2002, 11:11 AM
Everything about the Delaney transfer was a complete joke.

50k upfront was IMO too low to SELL a player to a Premiership team but if you have to agree to a low upfront payment you have to have money tied into 10, 50, 100 appearances etc... plus a sellon clause.

I think the deal may have been 50k upfront & 50k for 10 appearances but still pitifully low.

:(

el Clubs cannot survive on gate receipts alone. They will continue to be dependant on transfer fees for some time & selling good players for 50k ain't going to help much.

Neil
12/03/2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by pete
I think the deal may have been 50k upfront & 50k for 10 appearances
Yeah, that's what I thought too. So has he made his tenth appearance yet?

A face
12/03/2002, 12:43 PM
Sell him for that ....... it seems so stupid, The English press couldn't actually believe, Andy Gray even commented on it at the time. Was there a reason for selling so low. It is not like the club is flush with cash. did they look the gift horse in the mouth. :confused:

Éanna
12/03/2002, 1:40 PM
I think it was worth a total of 125,000 all clauses included (no pound sign on dman german computer!) but a sell on clause should have been added as well. Dunno whether that was punt or sterling, and dunno what the cluases were exactly. Good old transparent city board! :rolleyes:

Pablo
12/03/2002, 1:45 PM
well even noe well over a year later, what are the visable benefits we have had from the deal? All i see is that Leicester got two of our best young players on the cheap. in fact they got one on the cheap and the other for nothing.....its a disgrace

yan
12/03/2002, 11:10 PM
at least he is getting a game,
although he may become a regular next season when the club sells izzet savage and so on