PDA

View Full Version : are supporters happy?

padjoe
25/05/2005, 4:56 PM
i work with a newspaper and i received a phone call from a cork city fan saying that the matches are not being covered objectively. he said that the people and i quote "the people like last week protesting were more than a minority". he went on to say that while their was a small crowd protesting afterwards and the majority in the ground (turners cross) were unhappy with team selection and the manager. he also said if the journalist reported objectively and not with his eyes shut he would see that the fans are not happy. i asked him was he located in the shed he said no that it was the view all over the ground. not stirring just wondering if this is true?

leesider
25/05/2005, 5:02 PM
One word for them............muppets!!

jofyisgod
25/05/2005, 5:13 PM
One word for them............muppets!!

Hardly-see the official websites forum for more in-depth City discussion. This board has gone quiet of late.

I, personally, am not 100% happy with all aspects of the club atm, but i don't feel a change in manager would help.(Unless Mr Dolan's coming back ;) )

pete
25/05/2005, 5:41 PM
Big difference between unhappy with 1 performance & performance all season. When are supporters happy anyway?

btw was only 10-20 people "protesting" & some just jumping on the bandwagon & probably never go to games.

padjoe
25/05/2005, 5:49 PM
Big difference between unhappy with 1 performance & performance all season. When are supporters happy anyway?

btw was only 10-20 people "protesting" & some just jumping on the bandwagon & probably never go to games.

well he did say it was happening over the last few weeks. sorry i should have stated that in my original piece.

adamd164
25/05/2005, 6:01 PM
Verbal abuse, liver abuse, beggars, scroungers, chancers, dancers, hangers on, hangers off, petty rivalries, petty jealousies, mud slinging, back biting, back sliding, offside, onside, bitching, itching, in fighting, out fighting, boozers, losers, schmoozers - WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF CCFC FANS

padjoe
25/05/2005, 6:23 PM
Verbal abuse, liver abuse, beggars, scroungers, chancers, dancers, hangers on, hangers off, petty rivalries, petty jealousies, mud slinging, back biting, back sliding, offside, onside, bitching, itching, in fighting, out fighting, boozers, losers, schmoozers - WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF CCFC FANS

from the coverage published in the papers particularly the echo do you find what your opinion of the match is similar to that who covers it or can it be way off the mark.
as in do you see something like o'callaghan getting a bad tackle and think that will have a major impact on the match but it might be reported the following day.
and what about the column the shed end is that an accurate reflection of what the fans views.

sligoman
25/05/2005, 6:29 PM
I, personally, am not 100% happy with all aspects of the club atm

Your club has an atm? Jesus, yer light years ahead of us :D :D

(Joke, joke :o )

patsh
26/05/2005, 7:10 AM
Stop robbing my posts.......:D

patsh
26/05/2005, 7:23 AM
Just because a small minority shout really loud, that does not mean they speak for the majority, or thr majority thinks like them.

There were around 4,000 people at the Portadown game, 20 - 30 people protesting? Most of them couldn't really tell you what they were protesting about, it was just a chance for some of them to abuse Lennox and Richardson.

On the official forum, maybe 50 or 60 people post regularly.... around 30 of these complain about the club.

About 30 or 40 people are making a big deal of every little thing that happens at the club, mostly because they want Dolan back.

Dolan is NOT COMING BACK, so it's a waste of time and energy,but this stubborn mule attitude is wrecking things at the club.

I don't know anything about the internal workings of CCFC, and the club do themselves no favours by not coming out and dispelling/confirming rumours quickly, but I doubt if the club is in crisis, we are 3rd in the league, most of the players we want are signed up, and George for instance wants to stay. We are constantly told by some people that the players are dying to leave, but there is not evidence for that, indeed the complete opposite appears to be true, as can be seen by George looking to stay for a long time. Of course if you point out these things, you are accused of having your head in the sand.

If you want to put the worst possible spin on something, it's not hard to do, but this club is in a hell of a lot better position than it was 2 or 3 years ago, and unless something major is being kept well hidden, I don't think CCFC are doing too badly.

Finally, if you wrote a story "Some Football Fans Unhappy With Manager's Team Selection", do you think it would be considered "news" or even be worth publishing?
I'd reckon some Liverpool fans were unhappy with their manager's team selection last night, and at half time would have been happy if he had been sacked, don't you think?

tiktok
26/05/2005, 7:42 AM
....... i quote "the people like last week protesting were more than a minority"....

Even by the protesters' own admission there were at most fifty of them (and I agree that while there were genuine fans there, with genuine grievances, many of those protesting were just people who fancied throwing a bit of abucse). 50 out of the 3500-4000 that attended the match is a minority no matter who taught you Maths in school.

Of the people that go on-line to talk about the club, and of those who go to away games regularly, I think the Lennox -v- Dolan camp (and no matter how anyone tried to spin it, that IS the debate) is split 50-50. So you're talking about a hard-core of about 50 people who actively want Rico out (most of those would replace him with Dolan). Of those 50 I honestly think about 30 aren't sure what they're upset about, and if the team strung a few home wins together, they'd be happy.

The Majority of CCFC fans though, turn up, pay their money and hope the team wins. Then they go home and watch The late late Show or onathon Ross or Maybe have a few beers.

They don't care who the manager is, or what the off-field struggles are once the team scores a few goals. Maybe they're the ones that have it right.

For the record, I'm satisfied with Rico so far, I'm willing to give him until the transfer window to see what side he settles on and see how it goes then. He's made mistakes, but IMO they're almost exactly the same mistakes that Dolan made during his time here, and if people had reacted to Dolan the way they're now reacting to Rico we might never have experienced last season's inter-toto run.

niamh
26/05/2005, 9:07 AM
Well said tiktok.
That same 'minority' of fans has taken a very rose-tinted view of life under Pat Dolan. Last season was one of the most frustrating I have ever experienced as a fan of CCFC.
This season has been worse given the bickering that's going on off-the-field. The one thing we as fans of the club could always rely on was that we were fans of the club full stop. Trying to remove the board, chairman, manager or captain isn't going to help anything.

Schunter Netz
26/05/2005, 9:53 AM
Theres no story in it until the manager has been given enough rope. That means until beyond the transfer deadline at least, or properly until the end of the first season.
I agreen that the 'protesters' don't really know what they're moaning - and it is really just moaning - about. They're frustrated because we don't win every home game. Cork fans in general are very demanding. The team could string together six home wins on the trot and they would still be booed off after losing the seventh. And at any one time, there are probably fifty drunks in the shed who want the current manager out. Nothing novel there.

rebs23
26/05/2005, 10:19 AM
Theres no story in it until the manager has been given enough rope. That means until beyond the transfer deadline at least, or properly until the end of the first season.
I agreen that the 'protesters' don't really know what they're moaning - and it is really just moaning - about. They're frustrated because we don't win every home game. Cork fans in general are very demanding. The team could string together six home wins on the trot and they would still be booed off after losing the seventh. And at any one time, there are probably fifty drunks in the shed who want the current manager out. Nothing novel there.

Not too far off the mark there for a journalist! Most city fans are quite happy with where the club is at the moment (3 points off the top) just some loud mouth Dolan lovers (god knows why) are constantly bitching and moaning.

Éanna
26/05/2005, 10:36 AM
from the coverage published in the papers particularly the echo do you find what your opinion of the match is similar to that who covers it or can it be way off the mark.
as in do you see something like o'callaghan getting a bad tackle and think that will have a major impact on the match but it might be reported the following day.
and what about the column the shed end is that an accurate reflection of what the fans views.
Being perfectly honest the shed end column isn't the greatest IMO and the reporting from matches could be a bit more objective at times. As for the protests etc- there were at absolute most 100 people outside the cross on monday (some of whom like myself weren't even protesting). There was a crowd of at least 3,000 there. So it was a very small minority. Simple as that

Troy.McClure
26/05/2005, 10:46 AM
"the people like last week protesting were more than a minority". he went on to say that while their was a small crowd protesting afterwards and the majority in the ground (turners cross) were unhappy with team selection and the manager. he also said if the journalist reported objectively and not with his eyes shut he would see that the fans are not happy. i asked him was he located in the shed he said no that it was the view all over the ground.

B0ll0x! A majority? All around the ground? No way, thats just not true.

I do recognise the effort that the proDolan side are making though in still managing to keep this an issue, but just coz they are loud doesnt mean that there is more of them.

The angry ones are always the most vocal anyway, those who are happy just sit and enjoy thier prawn sandwiches usually.

padjoe
26/05/2005, 3:31 PM
Finally, if you wrote a story "Some Football Fans Unhappy With Manager's Team Selection", do you think it would be considered "news" or even be worth publishing?
I'd reckon some Liverpool fans were unhappy with their manager's team selection last night, and at half time would have been happy if he had been sacked, don't you think?

hey i aint writing any story on it. not my area at the moment. just curious thats all it has been a while since i was at the cross, live in dublin and normally traveling down at times city are playing. so i was wondering what the situation was and why this lad was ringing up complaining.

adamd164
26/05/2005, 5:27 PM
the club do themselves no favours by not coming out and dispelling/confirming rumours quickly

That'd be only around 50/60 a day then :D