PDA

View Full Version : Woods ready to commit to Shamrock Rovers

Neil
09/03/2002, 10:30 AM
Shamrock Rovers winger Billy Woods is ready to commit his future to the Dublin club even though it will mean another year of punishing travel.

The winger is still living in Cork and faces a long journey to the Irish capital for every home game. He had been linked with a move back to his former club Cork City who are in the hunt for a left winger as Ollie Cahill is expected to leave for Shelbourne at the end of the season.

As Woods is still living in Cork he was expected to move there, but he has already had talks with Rovers about staying on and is keen to commit to a new deal.

"I have heard the rumours about me going to Cork but there's nothing in it as far as I'm concerned," Woods told onefootball.com.

"I have enjoyed my time with Rovers and I would like to stay if I can," he added. "I have spoken to manager Damien Richardson and chairman Joe Colwell and they want me to stay, so I think we can sort something out.

"I'm living and working in Cork, which is 180 miles away from Dublin, so the travelling is hard, but this is what I want to do."

The 28-year-old is in his fourth season with Rovers, who face Dundalk in the semi-final of the FAI Cup on Friday night, and he is out of contract at the end of this season.

Woods joined Cork City when he was released by Coventry City in 1993 and helped them to a League Cup success in 1995 before moving back to England and Tranmere Rovers.

However, he played only one league game for the Merseyside club and came back to Ireland in 1997, spending a season north of the border with Portadown before moving to Rovers.

Woods won six caps at Under-21 level for the Republic of Ireland. He has scored three goals for Rovers in their run to the Cup semi-final this season.

[posted on Shams (http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/102537) Forum]

Pablo
10/03/2002, 1:00 PM
Now the chairman has resigned and the gates are closed on their new ground due to lack of finances, they are out of all competition etc....it might be a different story now...

A face
11/03/2002, 11:30 AM
The sooner they get into that new ground the better, i think alot of their problems will be solved from that, but as regards Woodsie ..... the time is right, i love if he came down to us. I think he would fit in perfectly with the team that is there now.

pete
11/03/2002, 1:10 PM
I think Billy is obviously staying with Rovers due to the probable s1st season at the new stadium 'n all. However does it say something about CCFC that they can't convince Billy to travel 20 odd instead of 180 miles for his game......?

mouldymurphy
11/03/2002, 2:15 PM
id say the board must like the oh billy chant! id does take the spotlight off them :D