PDA

View Full Version : Given To Man Utd

Hibs4Ever
24/05/2005, 7:08 AM
Just heard on 98fm that Fergie is preparing a 6 million pound bid. As much as I hate Utd, this would be a GREAT move for him

onenilgameover
24/05/2005, 7:17 AM
Somebody on here was saying that they had met his Dad in Israel and he was saying that Shay's move to Man U was in the bag a long time ago. Seems strange that these things aren't kept secret for longer. Great move for him and I think he will become a legend for United ala Smicheal....

Zidane
24/05/2005, 7:19 AM
If Given leaves Newcastle to whoever, I think Souness was looking at Kenny. This would be good.

Hibs4Ever
24/05/2005, 7:23 AM
If Given leaves Newcastle to whoever, I think Souness was looking at Kenny. This would be good.

This is what makes me believe the Given story, because of Newcastle wanting Paddy Kenny

FarBeag
24/05/2005, 7:31 AM
Excellent move if its true.I hope he goes there. Better than the other two put together.

Colm55
24/05/2005, 8:07 AM
First i've heard of the story, should be great for him and manchester united, too many keeper blunders have cost them dearly this season, a safe pair of hands can go a long way ! He'll also play against the cream of european crop in Europe which in turn can only do favours for the national team !

dynamo kerry
24/05/2005, 9:08 AM
no mention of this anywhere else. carroll has just signed a new contract so I think this might be rubbish.

anto1208
24/05/2005, 9:27 AM
ive heard this ages ago as well , it would be a great move for him as long as utd get rid of silvestre and brown who put the keepers under a lot of pressure

Eire06
24/05/2005, 9:46 AM
Great move for him and great move for Man United and Ireladn of course, Man u's lack of a good goalie really let them down this season!!

If he does go through hopefully he'll get plenty of games in Europe...

Poor Student
24/05/2005, 9:52 AM
Didn't Howard get a new contract too?

Eire06
24/05/2005, 9:54 AM
Didn't Howard get a new contract too?
Ya just remembered hearing that too, he just signed another contract before the final I think...
Hopefully he'll be the number 2 :confused: But don't think he'll settle for that

2Olegend
24/05/2005, 10:07 AM
The doubts about Shay and penos are all justifiable but I think he is incredibly consistent and the move to United would be great for him and Ireland.(I have heard casillas wanted to go there ... think he said so himself.)

There was a rumour, which everyone denied that Shay was going... remember he came out and asked Souness if he wanted to sell him. Said he was upset by the rumours and was happy :rolleyes: ... Yeah right Shay ;) :)

Eire06
24/05/2005, 10:32 AM
From Sky sports!!

Manchester United could spring a surprise by signing Roy Carroll to a three-year contract.

Negotiations had stalled with the Northern Ireland international and it was expected that he would leave under the Bosman Ruling in the summer.
With Tim Howard already penning fresh terms and Sir Alex Ferguson likely to bring a new goalkeeper into the club, as has been previously confirmed by chief executive David Gill, any decision to retain Carroll would seem a little puzzling.
"Roy has received certain assurances and David Gill said he would get back to us after the FA Cup final, so we're expecting to sort this out before Roy goes on holiday at the end of the week," agent Francis Martin told The Daily Express.
"We just need to clear up the finer points."
Ferguson has rotated Howard and Carroll this term, appearing to grow impatient with both keepers, but is being tipped to pin his faith in the pair ahead of a crucial season for United.
After a trophyless campaign, The Red Devils have already stressed the need to mount a serious challenge for the title.

NeilMcD
24/05/2005, 10:40 AM
I would love to see Given going to Man Utd as he really deserves to be at a top club and challenging for major honours and not in the lower half of the table. BUt i am not sure its true, with Howard and Carroll look likely to be signed up. If Utd sign Carrol on another contract I think they wont win anything next season.

Peadar
24/05/2005, 10:41 AM
this would be a GREAT move for him

He'd be better off going to Liverpool because they're going to be title contenders next season. Man Yoo are a spent force!
If he goes to them he'll get blamed when they lose 7 on the trot and his confidence will take a battering. He'll be a broken man by the time we go to Germany. :(

stojkovic
24/05/2005, 10:57 AM
He'll also play against the cream of european crop in Europe which in turn can only do favours for the national team !I agree. ONE two-legged match in the last16 every year will do him the world of good.

tiktok
24/05/2005, 12:10 PM
He'd be better off going to Liverpool because they're going to be title contenders next season. Man Yoo are a spent force!

I disagree Peadar.

The bench definitely needs improving, but with a better goalkeeper behind them, Brown and especially Silvestre will be more composed, the latter went to bits this season.

a team of

Given
Neville Ferdinand Silvestre heinze
Ronaldo Scholes Keane Giggs
Rooney VanNistlerooy

is an equal for anything that Chelsea and Arsenal can put out (though the former will spend heavily on a new striker I'd imagine)

I think United will challenge again next seaason.

Dublin12
24/05/2005, 12:13 PM
Yes,they will challenge again for a Champions league spot alright :D

Saint Tom
24/05/2005, 5:19 PM
spot on onenilgameover, was speaking to shay's da in Ben Guiron airport and he said it was all but a dome deal. Remember where you heard it first ;)

Great move for one of europe's finest

tall chapy
24/05/2005, 5:36 PM
The stumbling block to Shay joining Man Utd is that he will want some guarantee that he plays the majority of match. Shay is not getting any younger, he will not want to warm Man Utd. bench, it was bad enough warming Newcastle's for a while. A lot will also depend on how quick Glazer gets his hands on United. He will make sure he has some control of the purse strings before he possibly drains it dry. What price United move to a green field site for a 80-100,000 seater stadium ?????
A move to Liverpool maybe greater, or even Arsenal

carnstien
25/05/2005, 3:19 PM
Great move if he gets it, although I think he might be better off at Arsenal as Man U are in decline and Ferguson is past it.

Think 6 million is slightly taking the **** though, he's worth at least twice that.

Peadar
25/05/2005, 3:24 PM
I think he might be better off at Arsenal

I think Wenger will stick with Lehmann and bring in a younger keeper rather than spend a lot of money on Given to have him warming the bench.
The only thing that could go against Lehmann is his personality.
Then again, the better keepers these days are very arrogant.

SeanieBoy
27/05/2005, 12:45 PM
Carroll & Howard are staying......Let's hope Arsenal swoop instead ;)

They have released Carroll & Ricardo.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=280797&cpid=8&CLID=&lid=2&title=UNITED+RELEASE+CARROLL&channel=Football_Home&f=dta

brine3
27/05/2005, 1:01 PM
Do you think Given would be able to get on with Keane as his captain?

NeilMcD
27/05/2005, 1:03 PM
They dont have to get on, Keane never liked Schmeichael and the won loads, he did not think much of Teddy Sheringham. Players dont need to get on. Given is a winner (as in he is driven to win) and so is Keane there wont be a problem. It would be a good move for anybody who likes Irish football in my view.

De Town
27/05/2005, 1:07 PM
What age is Shay?

As a united fan, I would love to see the best goalie in the Premiership come to OT. What makes Cech look so good is John Terry and Carvalho are covering him. What does Shay have up at Newcastle that helps him out? Nothing.

NeilMcD
27/05/2005, 1:09 PM
29 I think, but as an Ireland fan this would be a good move. People on here should think Ireland first club second. It would be a good move for Shay and for Ireland and then for Utd too.

Eire06
27/05/2005, 1:09 PM
Do you think Given would be able to get on with Keane as his captain?
Do you like all the people you work with!!

They are both professionals and well able to work together in a professional manner... They have been able to play together in International matches fine so I don't think it will be a problem

paul_oshea
27/05/2005, 1:15 PM
why do the not get on???

NeilMcD
27/05/2005, 1:17 PM
It was rumoured that Given unhappy with Keanes behaviour in Saipan. I think relatinos between them woudl be purely professional whichi s good enough for me as an Ireland fan. They are both top class players, one at the prime of his career and the other on the wain a bit but this has much to offer.

gustavo
27/05/2005, 1:18 PM
not sure. i wasnt aware that they didnt. as far as i know they do . does it matter ? not in the slightest!
given going to manchester united would be a good idea for all concerned.
at least he will be getting away from sounness

Stuttgart88
27/05/2005, 1:21 PM
They play together for Ireland still, don't they?

It could work the other way maybe. I'm sure Fergie would be asking Keane his opinion of Given before making a move for him.

NeilMcD
27/05/2005, 1:24 PM
Lets get Shay O'SHEA THE NUTMEGGER - 573rd post - 27 May 2005 13:53
end of all this crap about foreign keepers- Given is a proven class goalkeeper who will settle into United no problems!!
Trust me!!! [reply] [Complain about this post]

re: Lets get Shay RVN_10 - 2077th post - 27 May 2005 13:58
He's a bit small, but he's better than what we've got. [reply] [Complain about this post]

re: Lets get Shay Tommy - 445th post - 27 May 2005 14:12
Hes 6ft tall man. Rumour in Toon is Shay swap for RVN. [reply] [Complain about this post]

re: Lets get Shay RVN_10 - 2079th post - 27 May 2005 14:16
6 ft is big to your average citizen on the street Tommy, but it's on the small side for a premiership goalkeeper. [reply] [Complain about this post]

re: Lets get Shay Bhoy Locks - 6th post - 27 May 2005 14:11
Given is foreign. He's Irish. [reply] [Complain about this post]

re: Lets get Shay O'SHEA THE NUTMEGGER - 574th post - 27 May 2005 14:19
ya know wat i mean!! u irish??? [reply] [Complain about this post]

Fergie's Son
27/05/2005, 6:51 PM
Carroll was just released by United so the door is certainly open.

I do agree that Given is a little small and doesn't command the box that well. United need a leader and I am not sure that Given is that type of keeper.

As for him and Keane not getting along. They're professionals so they'll be fine. Most of us work with (or for) people we don't like but we just keep the head down and get on with it.

dynamo kerry
27/05/2005, 7:00 PM
keane won't be there long enough for it to matter

2Olegend
27/05/2005, 7:21 PM
As for him and Keane not getting along. They're professionals so they'll be fine. Most of us work with (or for) people we don't like but we just keep the head down and get on with it.

Keane was once a team mate of Andy Goram's so he's obviously ;) a very tolerant pro.

great for eire if he signs for united

Dublin12
27/05/2005, 7:26 PM
Eire :mad:

aberharp
27/05/2005, 9:25 PM
it'd be a great signing for utd if he did join. would be nice to have a keeper who you can trust not to screw up

zinedineontour
28/05/2005, 9:46 AM
Carroll was just released by United so the door is certainly open.

I do agree that Given is a little small and doesn't command the box that well. United need a leader and I am not sure that Given is that type of keeper.

given is a little small and doesnt command the box well ??? are you mad given is without doubt up there with peter cech as best goalie in the prem ... manu would have had a far different season if they had shay in goal and not swapping between the two muppets they had .. newcastle have a lot to thanks the fella for this season ... world class needs to be at a world class club at this stage though

jorge
29/05/2005, 2:51 PM
given would be better off joining barcelona intermilan villareal or someone like that it would be great

Karlos
30/05/2005, 1:22 PM
Gunners train their sights on Shay

By Miles Starforth, The Evening Chronicle

Arsenal will move for Newcastle United goalkeeper Shay Given should they fail to sign Chelsea's Carlo Cudicini.

But the Magpies will fight any attempt to sign Given, who has two years left on his St James' Park contract and re-stated his commitment to the club back in March.

Should Graeme Souness lose the Republic of Ireland international, however, he would move for Blackburn Rovers' American No 1 Brad Friedel, who he took to Ewood Park four-and-a-half years ago.

Souness also has long-serving Steve Harper, who would hope to inherit Given's No 1 jersey should the Irishman ever leave St James'.

The 29-year-old, voted United's best player in a Chronicle poll of fans this week, has also been linked to Manchester United, who released goalkeepers Roy Carroll and Ricardo yesterday, but Arsenal's interest is stronger.

Goalkeeping has long been an area that has let the Gunners down, and Wenger will sign a stopper to compete with FA Cup-winning Jens Lehmann in the summer as he bids to challenge Chelsea for next season's Premiership crown.

Cudicini is Wenger's first choice, but Chelsea are hoping to keep the Italian and have offered him an extended contract at Stamford Bridge, where Petr Cech is Jose Mourinho's No 1.

He has been offered a new four-year £50,000-a-week deal by the Premiership winners.

Friedel, meanwhile, has a year left on his current Blackburn contract and talks have already started on a new Rovers deal.

Then Newcastle boss Kevin Keegan tried to sign Friedel, now 34, back in 1995 but after an appeal for a work permit failed, he signed for Brondby.

Ohio-born Friedel made 10 appearances for Brondby before moving on to Galatasaray, where Souness was then manager.

eirebhoy
03/06/2005, 1:39 PM
Given's being linked with Barcelona today:
The Mirror (http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/tm_objectid=15586498&method=full&siteid=94762&headline=football--barca-eye-given-bid-name_page.html)

EXCLUSIVE: BARCA EYE GIVEN BID
By Simon Bird

MANCHESTER UNITED will have to hold off Barcelona if they are to sign Newcastle keeper Shay Given.

The Spanish champions have targeted Given as a replacement for under-fire keeper Victor Valdes and are monitoring the Irishman's situation on Tyneside.

After Newcastle finished 14th in the Premiership, Given questioned the "direction" of the club casting doubts on his future at the Magpies.

United, who last week ditched Roy Carroll, are favourites to sign the Irish No.1, but Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd insists he has not received any offers.

Advertisement

United have already been snubbed by Juventus goalkeeper Luigi Buffon - because he is too Italian.

"Going to England doesn't interest me," said the Italy keeper. "I don't behave like a typical Anglo-Saxon - the idea of England doesn't tempt me at all."

Barca boss Frank Rijkaard wants five new players including a keeper, and has also watched Tottenham's England stopper Paul Robinson.
A step up from Breen and Harte I suppose. :)

ColinR
03/06/2005, 1:52 PM
dont see barcelona signing a top class keeper, they've finally got a good one, so all they'd be looking for i'd imagine is a back up. given wouldn't go to any club as a back up.

eirebhoy
03/06/2005, 1:56 PM
dont see barcelona signing a top class keeper, they've finally got a good one, so all they'd be looking for i'd imagine is a back up. given wouldn't go to any club as a back up.
Well it does say in the article:

"The Spanish champions have targeted Given as a replacement for under-fire keeper Victor Valdes"

ColinR
03/06/2005, 2:16 PM
Well it does say in the article:

"The Spanish champions have targeted Given as a replacement for under-fire keeper Victor Valdes"

oops, maybe i should read the articles before replying. still cant see barca wanting rid or replacing valdes, they haven't had a good keeper in years, so why get rid of the first good one (and a young one as well) that comes along.

plus, for given's sake, barca is not a good club to be a keeper at