PDA

View Full Version : Shels statement

Pages : [1] 2 3

manic da hoop
23/05/2005, 3:38 PM
Shels release statement

May 23, 2005

"On behalf of all Shelbourne supporters the Official Shelbourne Supporters Club wishes to make clear that absolutely none of our members or other supporters of our club were involved in any clashes with any Linfield supporters, before during or after last Saturday's Setanta Cup Final inTolka Park.

Shelbourne supporters have a long and proud tradition of exemplary behavior at all matches both at home and in our travels throughout Ireland and across Europe. We deeply resent and reject reports carried by some elements of the media that any Shelbourne supporters took part in any of the confrontations or violent attacks on Linfield supporters.

We have received numerous reports from many of our supporters who witnessed these attacks on the Linfield fans, by thugs wearing the green & white hooped shirts of Shamrock Rovers or Scottish club Celtic FC.

Shelbourne supporters have always gone out of their way to foster good relationships with supporters of other clubs particularly those from outside our own league or from Europe. Before last Saturdays final, we invited about forty Linfield supporters into our club bar to watch the English FA Cup Final on TV with us. This was a huge success and we have received invitations to join them and avail of their hospitality, the next time we return to play in Windsor Park."

This is a whole new low, even by Olly's standards, and what's worse a large section of the media will swallow it (going by this mornings Indo they already have). Any decent minded Shels fan should see just what a pathetic little man he really is, and should be ashamed that somebody like this could be in charge of their club. Ironic that a club which always tries to attract the support of other eircom league clubs when they are in Europe are now doing their best to become to most despised club among those same people.

Shame on you Olly, and anyone else who condones this statement.

Éanna
23/05/2005, 3:44 PM
This is a whole new low, even by Olly's standards, and what's worse a large section of the media will swallow it (going by this mornings Indo they already have). Any decent minded Shels fan should see just what a pathetic little man he really is, and should be ashamed that somebody like this could be in charge of their club. Ironic that a club which always tries to attract the support of other eircom league clubs when they are in Europe are now doing their best to become to most despised club among those same people.

I'd echo that. It's pathetic, it really is

Beavis
23/05/2005, 3:56 PM
Anyone see what might have happened before the game? I parked near the Linfield entrance of Richmond Road and didn't see anything, but I was late and there was a huge Garda presence around.

Roverstillidie
23/05/2005, 3:58 PM
"by thugs wearing the green & white hooped shirts of Shamrock Rovers or Scottish club Celtic FC. "

which is it oily? get your facts straight before throwing accusations about.

this is why he is trying to have us thrown out of senior football completly!!!

very few us us have seen the inside of a cell ollie

Blue_Daz
23/05/2005, 4:08 PM
well i arrived about 5pm and parked just down the road beside the garage, and walked up to the ground, and there was only a few (4-5 max) of the garda around, but they were more than friendly in talking to us, telling us about where everything was within the ground, and as shels fans filtered down to tolka, they also were more than welcoming and stood and talked to us outside at the big double red gates beside the entrance to the riverside stand where we were.

there was a couple (no more than 3-4) rovers fans also walked past, and i had a little chat with them (over lee feeney etc), and a linfield idiot was walking down the road andshouted something like"what you wearing that F****n celtic shirt for?" and he openly turned round and showed it was a rovers shirt and the linfield fan apologised, and the garda quickly asked them to move on as they didnt seem to fond of having someone in a "celtic look a like shirt" hanging around our end. but there was no trouble i seen outside. i was made to feel more than welcome by shels and them few rovers fans.

and the difference between the shirts you can see a mile away. am i right in saying celtic shirts have the hoops on the sleeves and rovers ones have plain white sleeves?

GavinZac
23/05/2005, 4:14 PM
and the difference between the shirts you can see a mile away. am i right in saying celtic shirts have the hoops on the sleeves and rovers ones have plain white sleeves?

if you can see it a mile away why do you have to ask?

http://www.dafc.net/pictures/pictures/bryne_shamrock2.jpg

http://www2.raisport.rai.it/news/sport/calcioestero/200204/06/3caef77507376/CelticLarsson3.jpg

Blue_Daz
23/05/2005, 4:17 PM
i was just making sure.... thats all

WeAreRovers
23/05/2005, 4:22 PM
if you can see it a mile away why do you have to ask?

http://www.dafc.net/pictures/pictures/bryne_shamrock2.jpg

Well that's so out of date it's of no use in telling the difference. Unless Richie Byrne has re-signed for us. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the point is that Fintan Cassidy and Ollie Byrne have gone too far with this staement and there will be (legal) retribution. You're not dealing with patsys like Maguire anymore.

KOH

GavinZac
23/05/2005, 4:25 PM
Well that's so out of date it's of no use in telling the difference. Unless Richie Byrne has re-signed for us. :rolleyes:

you all have bright shiney new jersies yeah? :rolleyes:

dcfcsteve
23/05/2005, 4:32 PM
Shels release statement

May 23, 2005

"On behalf of all Shelbourne supporters the Official Shelbourne Supporters Club wishes to make clear that absolutely none of our members or other supporters of our club were involved in any clashes with any Linfield supporters, before during or after last Saturday's Setanta Cup Final inTolka Park.

Shelbourne supporters have a long and proud tradition of exemplary behavior at all matches both at home and in our travels throughout Ireland and across Europe. We deeply resent and reject reports carried by some elements of the media that any Shelbourne supporters took part in any of the confrontations or violent attacks on Linfield supporters.

We have received numerous reports from many of our supporters who witnessed these attacks on the Linfield fans, by thugs wearing the green & white hooped shirts of Shamrock Rovers or Scottish club Celtic FC.

Shelbourne supporters have always gone out of their way to foster good relationships with supporters of other clubs particularly those from outside our own league or from Europe. Before last Saturdays final, we invited about forty Linfield supporters into our club bar to watch the English FA Cup Final on TV with us. This was a huge success and we have received invitations to join them and avail of their hospitality, the next time we return to play in Windsor Park."

This will probably do EVERYONE (incl Shels) more damage than good.

It draws the media's attention to what appear to have been minor and isolated incidents of trouble. The media love football violence and football clubs rowing, and Shels have given them a combination of both.

I'm surprised he didn't put out a release to clarify that it wasn't Shelbourne fans making rascist chants at their own player !

Well done Olly....

joeraki
23/05/2005, 4:32 PM
Tell ye now lads, that pond life Byrne is after that ground in Tallaght. I'd be highly amazed if he hasn't already had talks with the SDCC about it. And in the meantime he'll do all he can to blacken Rovers name and do his best within the FAI to do more damage, making Rovers look to the SDCC as the worst thing that could happen to the Tallaght stadium.

Slash/ED
23/05/2005, 4:43 PM
The media have been writing pathetic stories about Linfield and Shelbourne fans getting involved in trouble, he was right to say that was wrong. It WAS eejits in Celtic jersies, I saw that with my own eyes, and there's many claims from Linfield fans of Rovers fans attacking them with a glass bottle before the match. If that's true he's right on both counts. He being whoever released that statement on behalf of the supporters club, ie very unlikely it's Olly Byrne but sure do you need a reason now to be outraged over him?

WeAreRovers
23/05/2005, 4:49 PM
you all have bright shiney new jersies yeah? :rolleyes:

Sure do - http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/images/jersey_2005_large.jpg

The one you posted is 2 jersies ago. Again, the point is that no matter what Slash/ED or anyone else says, you can't go around defaming people for the sake of it. If you stand over that statement you should be ashamed.

KOH

Slash/ED
23/05/2005, 5:11 PM
Sure do - http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/images/jersey_2005_large.jpg

The one you posted is 2 jersies ago. Again, the point is that no matter what Slash/ED or anyone else says, you can't go around defaming people for the sake of it. If you stand over that statement you should be ashamed.

KOH

The statement says "Thugs wearing the green & white hooped shirts of Shamrock Rovers or Scottish club Celtic FC" It defamed "Thugs wearing the green & white hooped shirts of Shamrock Rovers or Scottish club Celtic FC" not all Rovers fans, not all Celtic fans, just those "Thugs wearing the green & white hooped shirts of Shamrock Rovers or Scottish club Celtic FC". It doesn't even say they were Rovers or Celtic fans, it just says "Thugs wearing the green & white hooped shirts of Shamrock Rovers or Scottish club Celtic FC". Which is completley spot on.

joeraki
23/05/2005, 5:19 PM
The statement says "Thugs wearing the green & white hooped shirts of Shamrock Rovers or Scottish club Celtic FC" It defamed "Thugs wearing the green & white hooped shirts of Shamrock Rovers or Scottish club Celtic FC" not all Rovers fans, not all Celtic fans, just those "Thugs wearing the green & white hooped shirts of Shamrock Rovers or Scottish club Celtic FC". It doesn't even say they were Rovers or Celtic fans, it just says "Thugs wearing the green & white hooped shirts of Shamrock Rovers or Scottish club Celtic FC". Which is completley spot on.

If thats the case could it of been Yeovil Town or Sporting L too ??

If they fool who wrote the piece doesn't even know if it was Rovers or Celtic then why name either in the first place. Who was the nameless person who made a fool out of himself with that ??

Slash/ED
23/05/2005, 5:21 PM
If thats the case could it of been Yeovil Town or Sporting L too ??

If they fool who wrote the piece doesn't even know if it was Rovers or Celtic then why name either in the first place. Who was the nameless person who made a fool out of himself with that ??

Yeovil Town and Sporting L wear jersies with Rovers crests spnsored by Woodies do they?

He does know, it was both of them, it was just poorly worded. It wasn't one or the other it was both.

joeraki
23/05/2005, 5:36 PM
Yeovil Town and Sporting L wear jersies with Rovers crests spnsored by Woodies do they?

He does know, it was both of them, it was just poorly worded. It wasn't one or the other it was both.

First your on here defending him saying he's blaming neither, they you reply back saying he knew it was both. Thats not poorly worded, thats just written from someone who hasn't a clue. :rolleyes: Ollie's lapdogs

Slash/ED
23/05/2005, 5:38 PM
First your on here defending him saying he's blaming neither, they you reply back saying he knew it was both. Thats not poorly worded, thats just written from someone who hasn't a clue. :rolleyes: Ollie's lapdogs

What in the name of jaysus are you whittering on about?

I said he (Not Ollie btw, but carry on being outraged over something he hasn't said it's a good laugh) said it was Thugs wearing the green & white hooped shirts of Shamrock Rovers or Scottish club Celtic FC that caused the trouble, not every Rovers or Celtic fan is a thug, just that Thugs wearing the green & white hooped shirts of Shamrock Rovers or Scottish club Celtic FC were there to cause trouble and guess what? Thugs wearing the green & white hooped shirts of Shamrock Rovers or Scottish club Celtic FC were there to cause trouble. The statement clearly means it was both, not one or the other they aren't sure, it's just poorly worded. And believe me, Thugs wearing the green & white hooped shirts of Shamrock Rovers or Scottish club Celtic FC were there to cause trouble, that is beyond dispute, both during and before the match.

joeraki
23/05/2005, 5:50 PM
What in the name of jaysus are you whittering on about?

I said he (Not Ollie btw, but carry on being outraged over something he hasn't said it's a good laugh) said it was Thugs wearing the green & white hooped shirts of Shamrock Rovers or Scottish club Celtic FC that caused the trouble, not every Rovers or Celtic fan is a thug, just that Thugs wearing the green & white hooped shirts of Shamrock Rovers or Scottish club Celtic FC were there to cause trouble and guess what? Thugs wearing the green & white hooped shirts of Shamrock Rovers or Scottish club Celtic FC were there to cause trouble. The statement clearly means it was both, not one or the other they aren't sure, it's just poorly worded. And believe me, .

I'm not outraged just having a laugh at the incompetence that runs the Shels SC. If they can't even word a simple statement, then they haven't really a got a clue have they. Never said it was Ollie. I did say nameless bloke

Or means: uncertainty, indefiniteness, alternatives. The person quite rightly was uncertain of who it was so covered all bases.

Thugs wearing the green & white hooped shirts of Shamrock Rovers or Scottish club Celtic FC were there to cause trouble, that is beyond dispute, both during and before the match

I thought colours of that sort where banned at the gate going into the ground as I've seen on various sites and the papers ?? I think your just making this up as you go along :rolleyes:

hamish
23/05/2005, 5:52 PM
I'm :o to admit I bought Daily Mail/Ireland on Sunday yesterday. Most of news page given to row in Berties pub. Compare that to the size of match report. Tiny three column affair with small photo beside it. Again, deadlines for match report not an excuse as, obviously, row was after game and almost a full page given to it.
Emphasise the negative on football. I'm so sick of it and will not buy that paper ever again, especially with wnaker's like Donal Keenan in it.
Sorry if this is off thread a bit.

Slash/ED
23/05/2005, 5:54 PM
I'm not outraged just having a laugh at the incompetence that runs the Shels SC. If they can't even word a simple statement, then they haven't really a got a clue have they. Never said it was Ollie. I did say nameless bloke

Or means: uncertainty, indefiniteness, alternatives. The person quite rightly was uncertain of who it was so covered all bases.

All this is you having a lauugh over the fact they put an or instead of an and? Yes, okay.

I thought colours of that sort where banned at the gate going into the ground as I've seen on various sites and the papers ?? I think your just making this up as you go along :rolleyes:

They were supposed to be, but it wasn't enforced.

Slash/ED
23/05/2005, 5:55 PM
I'm :o to admit I bought Daily Mail/Ireland on Sunday yesterday. Most of news page given to row in Berties pub. Compare that to the size of match report. Tiny three column affair with small photo beside it. Again, deadlines for match report not an excuse as, obviously, row was after game and almost a full page given to it.
Emphasise the negative on football. I'm so sick of it and will not buy that paper ever again, especially with wnaker's like Donal Keenan in it.

Exactly but sure does it come as a suprise at all? Typical of the media in this country, I'm so sick of it. Fair play to Tiktok for the letter he sent in (posted it on the Shels forum) but these clowns will never change.

joeraki
23/05/2005, 6:07 PM
I'll break down a bit the statement, seen as you think its just worded poorly.

On behalf of all Shelbourne supporters the Official Shelbourne Supporters Club wishes to make clear that absolutely none of our members or other supporters of our club were involved in any clashes with any Linfield supporters, before during or after last Saturday’s Setanta Cup Final inTolka Park

How does he know absolutely know no Shels fan was involved, would a Shels fan no wear a Celtic jersey ? Shels do sell Celtic jerseys in their Club Shop ? Bought by Shels fans obviously. Could of been some of them invovled.

We have received numerous reports from many of our supporters who witnessed these attacks on the Linfield fans, by thugs wearing the green & white hooped shirts of Shamrock Rovers or Scottish club Celtic FC

So he didn't actually see it himself ? So how could he absolutely sure it was true and absolutely sure no Shels fan was involved if he seen nothing

Shelbourne supporters have a long and proud tradition of exemplary behavior at all matches both at home and in out travels throughout Ireland

Maybe so in general, but all matches, surely not ?

All in all a very poorly worded false statement made by a lapdog of Ollie on behalf of the Shels SC

Slash/ED
23/05/2005, 6:12 PM
How does he know absolutely know no Shels fan was involved, would a Shels fan no wear a Celtic jersey ? Shels do sell Celtic jerseys in their Club Shop ? Bought by Shels fans obviously. Could of been some of them invovled.

Because these people were in a group together, had no Shels gear on at all, didn't join in any Shelbourne songs and had never ever been seen in Tolka Park before.

So he didn't actually see it himself ? So how could he absolutely sure it was true and absolutely sure no Shels fan was involved if he seen nothing

Because EVERYBODY who saw it says Shels weren't involved, even all of the Linfield fans. Could all be a mass conspiracy, but given that you've no Cork avatar I'll give you a bit more credit than that.

Maybe so in general, but all matches, surely not ?

Probably not every match in the history of football ever, but the vast majority of them yes.

All in all a very poorly worded false statement made by a lapdog of Ollie on behalf of the Shels SC

Poorly worded yes, false, no. Why do you keep bringing Ollie up, is it some kind of obsession on here?

joeraki
23/05/2005, 6:20 PM
Because these people were in a group together, had no Shels gear on at all, didn't join in any Shelbourne songs and had never ever been seen in Tolka Park before

Maybe silly little indian woooo wooo chants aint everyones cup of tea ;) Besides the Shels support seemed quite enough. They where in the Shels end with Celtic jerseys that can easily be bought in the Shels Club shop, so they could easily of been Shels fans

Because EVERYBODY who saw it says Shels weren't involved, even all of the Linfield fans. Could all be a mass conspiracy, but given that you've no Cork avatar I'll give you a bit more credit than that

yes they where in green and white and not red. So they must of been Celtic and Rovers fans by that theory and no one else :rolleyes:

Poorly worded yes, false, no. Why do you keep bringing Ollie up, is it some kind of obsession on here?

I'm right on both counts and have seen no evidence to believe otherwise. I bring up Ollie because he started the whole thing off on Newstalk, then his lapdog SC back him up with that statement

Slash/ED
23/05/2005, 6:41 PM
Maybe silly little indian woooo wooo chants aint everyones cup of tea ;) Besides the Shels support seemed quite enough. They where in the Shels end with Celtic jerseys that can easily be bought in the Shels Club shop, so they could easily of been Shels fans [.quote]

They WEREN'T Shelbourne fans. Argue it all you want I know it's true I saw them myself.

[quote]yes they where in green and white and not red. So they must of been Celtic and Rovers fans by that theory and no one else :rolleyes:

How many Shels fans wear Rovers jersies ffs?

I'm right on both counts and have seen no evidence to believe otherwise. I bring up Ollie because he started the whole thing off on Newstalk, then his lapdog SC back him up with that statement

No you're not right, point out the factually incorrect parts of the statement rather than the poorly worded ones and don't just say omg they weren't there how could they know!!!11 I wasn't around in the 1940s and I know that Hitler wasn't the nicest guy ever. Every fan from every club who saw the incident has confirmed it was not Shels fans involved.

Éanna
23/05/2005, 7:04 PM
That paper is a disgrace anyway.

hamish
23/05/2005, 7:46 PM
That paper is a disgrace anyway.

Totally agree - bought it 'cos I thought it might have a decent report on the game. Silly me. No point in relying on the Turbine for a report. Did any Sunday's carry a decent match report??

Éanna
23/05/2005, 7:49 PM
I think the Star on Sunday did have a decent report alright.

Poor Student
23/05/2005, 7:58 PM

They're the best by a mile for eL coverage on Sunday. Though some Sundays even they fail to carry a proper match report. They always have a column from Shoddy which can be quite painful to read sometimes.

joeraki
23/05/2005, 8:33 PM
The feature on Newstalk tonight was a laugh. Some guy from the 400 club on it and Ollie. Never heard of the guy from Rovers before but he spoke well and did a bit of research before going on the show, where as Ollie just ranted and raved. Ollie was asked for proof of Rovers fans in the incident. He had none apart from stuff he seen and what he heard from others. Laughable evidence with no facts from the Garda or FAI, though he said he'll get them and report back :rolleyes:

If it had of been a courtroom, it wouldn't take a genius on who the judge would believe. A know thug within the EL, convicted criminal, bitter man, all his evidence is hear-say. He'd be hearing the words Guilty (again!) for spoofing

hamish
23/05/2005, 9:01 PM

Thanks Eanna. Get the Star only on the odd, very odd, Tuesday to check out Junior/Schoolboy reports. Don't buy tabloids as a rule. Might buy Star on Sundays if there are EL games on Saturday nights.

Poor Student
23/05/2005, 9:13 PM
Thanks Eanna. Get the Star only on the odd, very odd, Tuesday to check out Junior/Schoolboy reports. Don't buy tabloids as a rule. Might buy Star on Sundays if there are EL games on Saturday nights.

Hamish now the EPL season is over it might be worth it as they might give the eL up to four pages during the summer. Though GAA might overshadow it. Can't remember last season.

hamish
23/05/2005, 9:41 PM
Hamish now the EPL season is over it might be worth it as they might give the eL up to four pages during the summer. Though GAA might overshadow it. Can't remember last season.

Sounds like good advice Poor Student. Thanks man. :)

Shedendinvisibl
23/05/2005, 10:13 PM
Joeraki, Eanna, et al

You can say all you want about Ollie Byrne (and as usual, you dish out the old dog eared lines) but when it comes to defending the integrity of club and fan, he rarely gets it wrong, and he does tend to come out on top of it.

Think about it for a second... why the hell is he saying something as sensational as this if, as you suggest, it is all a load of ********? This was a statement released by the SC, not the club, as there was a ton of misleading articles relating to Saturday's game that has tarnished the good reputation of Shels fans, and ultimately, all Eircom League Fans, Cork and Dundalk included. Shels through the statement and Ollie Byrne defend their fans, let it be know who or what they feel are to blame, and they are castigated.

The facts are this... guys in Green and White Hooped shirts caused aggro. May be Rovers fans, may be Celtic fans, may be Panakinaitos fans or Hibs fans. or St. Francis fans, I don't know, but you can bet your botton dollar that they have not specifically mentioned Rovers or Celtic without some foundation. But one thing is absolutely clear; it was not people wearing red shirts with the crest of Shelbourne FC on it.

TonyD
23/05/2005, 10:48 PM
Surprised no-one has commented on Ollies other outburst regarding throwing Rovers out of the league in relation to the licence issue. Whatever about the rights and wrongs of the incidents at Tolka on Saturday, and whether it was Rovers fans or not, this other stuff is far more insidious in my opinion, and totally out of order. Calling for other clubs to be thrown out of the league is a disgrace.

Éanna
23/05/2005, 11:11 PM
Joeraki, Eanna, et al

You can say all you want about Ollie Byrne (and as usual, you dish out the old dog eared lines) but when it comes to defending the integrity of club and fan, he rarely gets it wrong, and he does tend to come out on top of it.
Oh he's great at defending his club. But Oily Byrne and integrity in the same sentence? You're having a laugh! He's a thug, a bully and a criminal.

Surprised no-one has commented on Ollies other outburst regarding throwing Rovers out of the league in relation to the licence issue. Whatever about the rights and wrongs of the incidents at Tolka on Saturday, and whether it was Rovers fans or not, this other stuff is far more insidious in my opinion, and totally out of order. Calling for other clubs to be thrown out of the league is a disgrace.
It is totally out of order, but what would you expect from Oily. He's an absolute disgrace and a law unto himself at this stage

Poor Student
23/05/2005, 11:13 PM
But honestly Shels lads if Ollie's main concern is to keep your club's good name alone did the statement need to specify of what clubs the shirts were from? Would it not be enough to mention they wore shirts of clubs that were not Shels? Do you not think he is tarnishing Shamrock Rovers' name unecessarily here? The eL doesn't need this kind of bad publicity and he is highlighting the fact it was eL "fans" doing this. I think he could have handled this matter better in a more conscious way towards Irish football in general and towards other clubs.

Éanna
23/05/2005, 11:28 PM
But honestly Shels lads if Ollie's main concern is to keep your club's good name alone did the statement need to specify of what clubs the shirts were from? Would it not be enough to mention they wore shirts of clubs that were not Shels? Do you not think he is tarnishing Shamrock Rovers' name unecessarily here? The eL doesn't need this kind of bad publicity and he is highlighting the fact it was eL "fans" doing this. I think he could have handled this matter better in a more conscious way towards Irish football in general and towards other clubs.
That's what Oily is good at though. Having a go at other clubs. If he's not wading into their fans fists first, he's mouthing off about them. I'm all for the integrity of a club and it's fans, but its a bit rich of Ollie Byrne to give out about anyone being violent at a football match :rolleyes:

Did the Shelbourne supporters club release a statement condemning Ollie Byrne's assault on Derry fans, thuggish actions towards Pats fans or his attempted assault on a steward at Turners Cross a few years back. "Glass houses" and all that :rolleyes:

Poor Student
23/05/2005, 11:32 PM
That's what Oily is good at though. Having a go at other clubs. If he's not wading into their fans fists first, he's mouthing off about them. I'm all for the integrity of a club and it's fans, but its a bit rich of Ollie Byrne to give out about anyone being violent at a football match :rolleyes:

Did the Shelbourne supporters club release a statement condemning Ollie Byrne's assault on Derry fans, thuggish actions towards Pats fans or his attempted assault on a steward at Turners Cross a few years back. "Glass houses" and all that :rolleyes:

As I said before in another thread I think Byrne lacks a certain etiquette. He seems to be focused on pushing other clubs down as well as his upwards. In my opinion the game is about fostering relations with other clubs and working on mutual issues to drive the game as a whole forward whereas he seems to be highly Shels orientated with little regard for the others. I suppose it's his perogative but I see it as ungentlemanly and unsporting.

Éanna
23/05/2005, 11:36 PM
As I said before in another thread I think Byrne lacks a certain etiquette.
A "certain etiquette"?! He lacks any etiquette, decorum, manners or semblance of civilised human interaction. The man is a thug and a bully, simple as that.

Poor Student
23/05/2005, 11:38 PM
A "certain etiquette"?! He lacks any etiquette, decorum, manners or semblance of civilised human interaction. The man is a thug and a bully, simple as that.

Sorry, I was offering the view of someone who doesn't quite see him as the combination of Satan and the missing link. :D

Éanna
23/05/2005, 11:42 PM
Sorry, I was offering the view of someone who doesn't quite see him as the combination of Satan and the missing link. :D
If Satan's lawyers see him being compared to a thug like Byrne, they'll be on your case in the morning. As for the missing ink, well, he's bound to be highly offended as he was significantly further along the evolutionary chain than poor ol' Oily :D

Slash/ED
23/05/2005, 11:48 PM
Olly Byrne didn't make that statement that was the supporters club.

How many bleedin' times does it need to be said? :confused:

Éanna
23/05/2005, 11:50 PM
Olly Byrne didn't make that statement that was the supporters club.

How many bleedin' times does it need to be said? :confused:

Well?

Slash/ED
23/05/2005, 11:51 PM
No, and you're right they should have but that was never going to happen was it? No club supporters club would do that.

Poor Student
23/05/2005, 11:53 PM
http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/05/23/story203749.html#

Sorry Slash I got it mixed up with this one. I never actually saw that pointed out. The poster of the topic started laying into Byrne right after the quote. Got my wires a bit crossed. However my general point remains the same.

Éanna
23/05/2005, 11:54 PM
No, and you're right they should have but that was never going to happen was it? No club supporters club would do that.
All I'm saying is it's a bit rich of Ollie Byrne to give out about people being involved in football-related violence, given his past behaviour. And it's a also a bit rich of the Shels Supporters Club to do so given Byrne's behaviour- I accept it was never going to happen, just making the point. Ollie is trying to portray Shels/himself as whiter than white, and it's downright hypocrisy given his past (and no doubt future) actions

Slash/ED
23/05/2005, 11:54 PM
Tbh that headline is a bit sensationalist he doesn't say they should be kicked out just the made up on the spot 8 point deduction was half arsed, which it was. It's none of his business though and he shouldn't be getting involved but he doesn't say that the headline says he says imo.

Slash/ED
23/05/2005, 11:56 PM
All I'm saying is it's a bit rich of Ollie Byrne to give out about people being involved in football-related violence, given his past behaviour. And it's a also a bit rich of the Shels Supporters Club to do so given Byrne's behaviour- I accept it was never going to happen, just making the point. Ollie is trying to portray Shels/himself as whiter than white, and it's downright hypocrisy given his past (and no doubt future) actions

"We all lose our heads in a moment of passion in sport, but you don’t come with a pre-meditated attitude to do some damage to people and that’s what happened" is what he said, and he is right. He's never done that either but, and in fairness he's the first to admit it, has lost the head many times which is obviously completley out of order. He's talking about something different though.

The SSC was simply distancing the Shels fans from the typically woeful sensationalist media crap saying we were involved in 'riots' with the Linfield fans.