PDA

View Full Version : Partridge Released by Liverpool

razor
23/05/2005, 3:30 PM
Richie Partridge has been released by Liverpool (http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N148908050523-1501.htm)

zinedineontour
23/05/2005, 3:33 PM
bout time in my opinion ..... fella should have realised it was never gonna happen for him there and move to coventry when he had the chance

aido_b
23/05/2005, 3:34 PM
Thats a feckin crying shame. Partridge is the best example of a player who could easily have made it at Liverpool had he been given a break. He hasn't done anything wrong at the club so I really do think that this will come back to haunt Liverpool. I reckon Mick Mc Carthy will snap him up now!

tiktok
23/05/2005, 3:38 PM
Partridge will be better off for it in the long run.

zinedineontour
23/05/2005, 3:46 PM
why does everyone assume just cause someone is irish and free agent mick will snap them up ? mick im sure will be looking for better players than partridge who has never shown anything to prove that he can shine.. injuries may be the cause of this but very unproven at a high level and not worth the risk ... think liverpool know what they are doing

Stuttgart88
23/05/2005, 3:48 PM
What risk? He'll be free.

zinedineontour
23/05/2005, 3:50 PM
free ? what about his wages ? why put your faith in someone that is a) unproven and b) prone to injury ...

tiktok
23/05/2005, 3:54 PM
free ? what about his wages ? why put your faith in someone that is a) unproven and b) prone to injury ...

I think Coventry fans would argue that he's "proven"

aido_b
23/05/2005, 3:55 PM

He put his faith in Stephen Elliot and look where that got him!!!! Partridge would be a risk alright but Mc Carthy is really good at taking players whose confidence has suffered and turning them into great players. Partridge is a top notch player who I reckon will still make it in the premiership!

Eirambler
23/05/2005, 4:10 PM
Can't see him getting a Premiership club to be honest.

The Coventry thing was a few seasons back now (02-03?) and he's not played much since so hes going to have to prove himself all over again.

If he had joined a lesser club he might have been a premiership regular 5 years ago and I still think he can make it but probably not right away.

Any Championship club should be breaking their neck trying to sign him but the only one I heard interested was Rotherham and that was months ago and theyve been relegated since.

I suppose there will always be question marks over his size, physicality and the fact that he seems to be injured most of the time.

Colm55
23/05/2005, 4:10 PM
He put his faith in Stephen Elliot and look where that got him!!!! Partridge would be a risk alright but Mc Carthy is really good at taking players whose confidence has suffered and turning them into great players. Partridge is a top notch player who I reckon will still make it in the premiership!

you've a fair point here, but there is one signifcant difference, Elliot is 21 whereas Partridge is hitting 25 this year, players usually come into their peak at this stage and hit it for the following five years or so.
Partridge has been let go by his club which is not a good sign at all for his football career.
He needs a club that will start him week in, week out, i don't know how many premiership clubs will look for an unproven premiership player.

dynamo kerry
23/05/2005, 4:12 PM
if he's clever he'll go to millwall or one of those places where he'll play every game.

he could always come home mind you.

zinedineontour
23/05/2005, 4:24 PM
maybe if it was last season partridge would have been worth a try with sunderland but not this season when we back with the big boys he deffo not prem standard ...

Donal81
23/05/2005, 4:24 PM
The guy has loads of talent and surely he should walk into any Championship side? If he's serious about playing in the Premiership, a season in the Championship might give him some regular playing time and build his confidence up. It's extraordinary that he's stayed there for so long. I know he was unlucky with a few injuries but blimey, he's been there for years without ever really getting a kick. He must be a very patient chap.

Baker
23/05/2005, 4:37 PM
For his own sake he should have made the move a few years ago when it became obvious he was never going make a big breakthrough at Liverpool. Saw him a few years ago for Ireland u-21's, fantastic player but very lightweight. I hope he finds a decent club where he can get first team football. I doubt he'll get a premiership club but what he needs is to start getting some games under his belt.

eirebhoy
23/05/2005, 5:58 PM
For his own sake he should have made the move a few years ago when it became obvious he was never going make a big breakthrough at Liverpool. Saw him a few years ago for Ireland u-21's, fantastic player but very lightweight. I hope he finds a decent club where he can get first team football. I doubt he'll get a premiership club but what he needs is to start getting some games under his belt.
Was it really ever obvious he wasn't going to get the break though? He went to Coventry on loan for the best part of a year. He was offered a new contract and because he impressed so much at Coventry he must have felt he'd get his chance at Liverpool but then he got injured. He only got back to fitness in September/October '04.

zinedineontour
23/05/2005, 6:23 PM
has he ever shown the ability that some people seem to think he is ? never shown enough quality to think he would walk into the championship .. he hasnt played enough to dissapoint so i assume thats why he still held in such esteem by some on here ...

zinedineontour
23/05/2005, 6:31 PM
not really no .. im sure you could say that for a lot of underage teams.

eirebhoy
23/05/2005, 6:37 PM
There's no doubting his ability, end of story. potential is something you talk about with players that haven't got their cross right, or those that aren't the best finishers but Richie has it all already. I just wish he was 4 years younger. :(

SaucyJack
23/05/2005, 6:59 PM
If Forest stayed up, I think that would have been a good place for him....anyone know whatever happened to Paul McGraths' son Chris who was released by the Pool last year?

Slash/ED
23/05/2005, 7:11 PM
deffo not prem standard ...

He has barely played a game, when he has played, he has looked deffo prem standard, no question. How can you say that?

Eirambler
23/05/2005, 7:13 PM
Was it really ever obvious he wasn't going to get the break though?

I think it probably was to be honest. The thing was though, the breakthrough always seemed to be just around the corner, like when he gets a bit stronger, or puts his latest injury behind him, or when Houllier leaves and they play with width again or whatever.

I'd say he was let down a bit by Houllier who promised him everything but never played him.

I hope he doesn't turn out to be the next Keith O'Neill. Having played so little football in the last few seasons might have stopped him from ever being as good as he had the potential to be.

It might still work out though, that Norwich move mentioned on another thread sounds promising

zinedineontour
23/05/2005, 7:15 PM
He has barely played a game, when he has played, he has looked deffo prem standard, no question. How can you say that?

quite easily .. the reason the fella is still held in such high regard is that he hasnt played enough to show everyone he is not this messiah some on here seem to think he is ... obviously not shown benitez enough to convince him .. had good spell at coventry so think that level would be good for him . a year in the championship then we can comment on a 24yr old ....

Slash/ED
23/05/2005, 7:19 PM
quite easily .. the reason the fella is still held in such high regard is that he hasnt played enough to show everyone he is not this messiah some on here seem to think he is ... obviously not shown benitez enough to convince him .. had good spell at coventry so think that level would be good for him . a year in the championship then we can comment on a 24yr old ....

Exactly, wait and see then comment. Saying he's "deffo not prem standard" is daft.

zinedineontour
23/05/2005, 7:22 PM
well just think he has not shown enough at liverpool to warrant a game ahead of the likes of le tallec smicer kewell ? at the moment in my opinion he is not prem standard but a season in the championship playing first team football like elliott will do him the world of good ..

aido_b
23/05/2005, 7:46 PM
well just think he has not shown enough at liverpool to warrant a game ahead of the likes of le tallec smicer kewell ? at the moment in my opinion he is not prem standard but a season in the championship playing first team football like elliott will do him the world of good ..

He could have done a better job for Liverpool than Kewell has this season.He must have some patience because he's been promised the world at Pool and they've really ****ed up his career!

zinedineontour
23/05/2005, 7:52 PM
He could have done a better job for Liverpool than Kewell has this season.He must have some patience because he's been promised the world at Pool and they've really ****ed up his career!

but obviously benitez and houllier thought he was no better than kewell.. fella stalled his own career by not moving earlier ..

eirebhoy
23/05/2005, 7:55 PM
Quote from Liverpool fan after the Boro game in November:
"I think Partridge has shown more in 1 game than Kewell has shown all season so I'd put him in."

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php/topic,43334.0.html

I'd actually say Liverpool would not have made it to Cardiff if it wasn't for Partridge coming on and changing the game against Boro.

Donal81
23/05/2005, 8:00 PM
There's no doubting his ability, end of story. potential is something you talk about with players that haven't got their cross right, or those that aren't the best finishers but Richie has it all already. I just wish he was 4 years younger. :(

I remember you defending him before Eirebhoy. Where have you seen him so much? (A genuine question, I've hardly ever seen him play. A mate of mine played against him when he was with, I think, Shelbourne, my mate was with Bushy Park Rangers, he said he was amazing.)

I thought that when he was offered a new contract, that was it for him but obviously not.

zinedineontour
23/05/2005, 8:20 PM
Quote from Liverpool fan after the Boro game in November:
"I think Partridge has shown more in 1 game than Kewell has shown all season so I'd put him in."

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php/topic,43334.0.html

I'd actually say Liverpool would not have made it to Cardiff if it wasn't for Partridge coming on and changing the game against Boro.

im sure you could go onto any forum and pick a quote from a fan who says someone is great had brilliant game ... obviously he is not good enough for liverpool and season in championship would do him the world of good . needs to be playing first team football at his age and wont get it in the prem

eirebhoy
23/05/2005, 8:50 PM
obviously he is not good enough for liverpool
He is better than Nunez, that I am sure about.

I remember you defending him before Eirebhoy. Where have you seen him so much?
Coventry (full games and league highlights) and Ireland underage teams. 1 or 2 full games to get to see what he's about and then reading reports to see if he's playing consistantly well is usually good enough to make a judgement. I've seen a bit more of him than that though. :)

pete
24/05/2005, 10:42 AM
Partridge will do well to get regular place in Championship team. Not many clubs will risk wages on a player with so many injuries & so little first team football.

Stuttgart88
24/05/2005, 10:46 AM
He did extremely well at a short loan stint at Coventry. He'd be a success in the Championship and could do well in the Premiership in the right team, right coach etc. Personally I'd rather see him establish himself firmly & I reckon his best chance is in the Championship.

All injury permitting of course - a big uncertainty.

I don't see how he'd be a risk. I doubt his wage demands are that high and he will be on a free.

stojkovic
24/05/2005, 11:00 AM
he was captain off the irish u-21 teams ahead off duff and keane,does that not say something?
Who was captain of the great Man United youth team that included Beckham, the Neville sisters, Scholes, Butt etc. The captain was Robbie Savage. First player released - Robbie Savage.

Stuttgart88
24/05/2005, 11:01 AM
Did Duff & Keane play in the same underage sides as Partridge? Did they even play U21?

eirebhoy
24/05/2005, 11:25 AM
Did Duff & Keane play in the same underage sides as Partridge? Did they even play U21?
I don't know about them playing in the U-21's but Partridge was the star of the European Championships that the Ireland U-18's won a few years ago that included Keane. Considering how highly rated Keane was in his early years, it says a lot that Partridge beat him to the U15 and U16 awards when they were at that level. :)

Donal81
24/05/2005, 11:40 AM
I don't know about them playing in the U-21's but Partridge was the star of the European Championships that the Ireland U-18's won a few years ago that included Keane. Considering how highly rated Keane was in his early years, it says a lot that Partridge beat him to the U15 and U16 awards when they were at that level. :)

I haven't seen Partridge play at all so I could be well off the mark on this one but players have to make a leap from youth to senior. One minute you're playing against skinny, inexperienced kids and you're a local hero, the next you're having your shirt tugged from behind by some old pro ten years older than you who's been belting you around the pitch all night long. The pace is quicker, the skill required is higher, the discipline and dedication is higher, the fitness, the strength, etc, etc. It's a lot to ask and that's why so many Irish lads are great white hopes when they're 18-21 but it doesn't work out after that.

Again, I could be completely wrong. Partridge could just be unfortunate.

Stuttgart88
24/05/2005, 11:41 AM
Thanks for that.

With an injury freee run I reckon Partridge can be every bit as good as Reid was in the Championship and this could open doors for him. Maybe Mick will take a chance on him.

Did anyone ever read the piece Tom Humphries wrote about Partridge a few years back? After they won the Carling Cup, every player who played for 'pool in the competition was invited to a party. Everyone except Partridge. Humphries was scathing of Houllier.

eirebhoy
24/05/2005, 11:50 AM
I haven't seen Partridge play at all so I could be well off the mark on this one but players have to make a leap from youth to senior. One minute you're playing against skinny, inexperienced kids and you're a local hero, the next you're having your shirt tugged from behind by some old pro ten years older than you who's been belting you around the pitch all night long. The pace is quicker, the skill required is higher, the discipline and dedication is higher, the fitness, the strength, etc, etc. It's a lot to ask and that's why so many Irish lads are great white hopes when they're 18-21 but it doesn't work out after that.

Again, I could be completely wrong. Partridge could just be unfortunate.
Well he was a success at Coventry so can handle playing against the experienced pro's. He's just one player I know would have been a huge success if it wasn't for injuries. I wouldn't say that about anyone else. Not even Sadlier or O'Neill.

Stuttgart88
24/05/2005, 11:58 AM
He's just one player I know would have been a huge success if it wasn't for injuries.

You're certainly being consistent on this one, persistent even!

I think part of the problem was a feud between Heighway and Houllier as well, meaning that Houllier was reluctant to bring players up through the ranks at Anfield.

Houllier seemed to share Wenger's view that Cliarefontaine bred talent is better than his own club's academy.

eirebhoy
24/05/2005, 12:08 PM
^^^agreed. And those who say if he was good enough he would have made it have to remember that in Houllier's 8 years in charge he only brought one player through from the academy (Stephen Gerrard). Benitez has brought more through already in his first season.

bluefan
26/05/2005, 1:27 AM
he will be as well off away from liverpool now, after whats happened last night. i agree with a champtionship side where he can play week in week out, and maybe push his way into the ireland squad. agent mick might want him, :)