PDA

View Full Version : Londford 1 UCD 0

Poor Student
21/05/2005, 10:33 PM
Sigh....What happened this time? At least the boys aren't getting hammered but this is downright disappointing.

pineapple stu
22/05/2005, 12:25 AM
A single defensive lapse cost UCD a share of the spoils in Flancare Park on Saturday in what was a fairly poor encounter. Former Student Andy Myler scored the only goal, and defeat drops UCD to tenth in the league, four points above Harps. More bizarrely, it keeps up our current record of eight points from five games against the top five and one points from five games against the bottom seven, with a huge game against Shamrock Rovers to come next week.

UCD's line-out showed two changes from the team which lost in Donegal - Anto Murphy was injured and replaced by Paul Byrne, with Pat McWalter moving out to the right wing, while Gary Dicker replaced Stephen Hurley, who was dropped to the bench. Alan Mahon returned to the squad after illness, while Damien Dupuy sported a nice blue hairstyle.

In a fairly poor game, defences were on top for long spells, with neither keeper having to make a save of note. UCD probably shaded the first half, though most of their better openings came courtesy of Longford keeper Stephen O'Brien's frequent ill-advised trips out from his line. However, although College had more of the possession, chances were at a premium. In fact, I can't really remember anything. The game was very stop-start, with the referee seeming very whistle-happy.

Longford came out stronger for the second half with the introduction of Dessie Baker, who caused UCD a few problems down the right wing. However, it was Route One which resulted in the only goal - O'Brien's long kick out was easy for Alan McNally to deal with - he'd dealt with enough all night - but he inexplicable left the ball for Darren Quigley to collect, only to find his keeper back on his six-yard line. Andy Myler nipped in to turn the ball past the advancing Quigley.

After that, Longford seemed content to retreat into a shell and attack on the break. As a result, UCD started to boss possession more but couldn't find the killer pass through the massed Longford defence. As frustrations boiled over, Aidan Lynch was on the receiving end of a very heavy challenge, only for the ref to ignore this and give Longford a free seconds later - Tony McDonnell (I think) was booked for dissent. Pete Mahon made two changes to try and turn things around - Conor Sammon and Stephen Hurley for Aidan Lynch and Damien Dupuy, and later brought on Brian Gannon for Pat McWalter. This saw UCD go to a 3-4-3 formation, with Mick O'Donnell moving to left-wing and Conor Kenna playing as an attacking wing-back (should be a short-lived enough experiment!). UCD's best chance was probably a free-kick which saw the Longford defence advance, leaving four College players in behind the defence - the linesman gave offside (don't think he was correct), though it was academic as Tony McDonnell failed to control the ball anyway. As the game wore on, the College were restricted to knocking the ball forward and trying to make something of a couple of flick-ons, while at the other end, Alan Kirby could have sealed the points only to volley wide from ten yards. At the death, UCD won a free-kick outside the area - Stephen Hurley shot over, and the referee brought the game to a close.

All this means that next week's game is now even more vital. It's now twelve games since UCD's last win away from home in the Premier Division (including seven draws), though our home form is good, with only three Premier defeats in the same period (i.e. since Mahon took over).

UCD - Quigley; Lynch (Hurley 70), O'Donnell, Kenna, McNally; McDonnell, McWalter (Gannon 78), Dicker, Dupuy; Martin, Byrne (Sammon 70). Subs not used - Gallagher, Mahon

Att - c 400

De Town
22/05/2005, 11:37 AM
Agree with most things there stu apart from attendance was about 500 ;)

Bald Student
22/05/2005, 1:27 PM
attendance was about 500 ;)There must have been about 150 flying pigs that I missed so.

Poor Student
22/05/2005, 5:58 PM
Damn it, damn it. Two defensive errors, two one-nil defeats in two weeks. Frustrating season. We have the capability of so much more. Or do we? Are we biased and imagining we are a good footballing side or are we just really really unlucky? Sounds like the Muphy injury pushed us off balance a bit. I'd have stuck Martin on the wing. Hopefully Mahon will come back in next week and the defencive blunders will be cut out.

pineapple stu
22/05/2005, 7:40 PM
Are we biased and imagining we are a good footballing side or are we just really really unlucky?
We seem to have our usual problems in opening up massed defences. At the risk of sounding like a Cork fan (the difference being that I'm not whining about Longford or bringing up a huge conspiracy to detract from our failings!), I don't think it's a coincidence that we've gotten our points against teams who tried to play - Bohs, Shels, Derry, Cork and Waterford.

Hopefully Mahon will come back in next week and the defencive blunders will be cut out.
Bit harsh. Lynch still looks like he's out of position (which he is), but neither of the goals were his fault.

Poor Student
22/05/2005, 7:44 PM
Bit harsh. Lynch still looks like he's out of position (which he is), but neither of the goals were his fault.

Sorry, I phrased that badly, I didn't mean end of blunders as a result of Lynch's dropping, I meant Mahon to come in and improve the defence and on a seperate note for the whole defence to cut out the blunders. I know it was McNally and Kenna. I have no problem with Aido, he has done well to deputise being out of position but Mahon is more comfortable and offers us something going forward and can give a delivery from free kicks.

pineapple stu
22/05/2005, 7:54 PM
Thread on the other Longford forum (http://www.ltfcforum.com/showthread.php?p=2305#post2305) about the match.

Schumi
23/05/2005, 11:27 AM
Another extremely frustrating match. Longford were dreadful and wouldn't have got near a goal if we hadn't handed them one and we didn't create much either.

Poor Student
23/05/2005, 11:02 PM
Just saw the goal on eL weekly. Desperate. McNally was so far out to let it go through and it was an easy header! The pundits seemed to think that maybe the right back (Lynch?) called keepers ball as Quigley certainly didn't. Well taken by Myler though. Argh damn it.

Schumi
24/05/2005, 12:04 PM
The way he left it, it looked like he heard a call. He seemed to be lining up to head it away and then at the last minute let it go past him. Maybe a Longford player called. ;)

Poor Student
24/05/2005, 12:18 PM
The way he left it, it looked like he heard a call. He seemed to be lining up to head it away and then at the last minute let it go past him. Maybe a Longford player called. ;)

I always wondered do opposition players ever do that?

observer
24/05/2005, 1:25 PM
Myler you divil! Its called experience lads. Alan McNally will never make that mistake again. Its all part of the learning process. ;)

CollegeTillIDie
24/05/2005, 1:37 PM
No away wins in first third of the League lads...looks dodgy :(

Poor Student
24/05/2005, 5:24 PM
The situation will become clear after the next game CTID. Lose to Rovers and we are embroiled in relegation. Beat them and we put some clear distance.

pineapple stu
24/05/2005, 5:27 PM
Myler you divil! It's called experience lads.
If you mean a player shouting to distract an opposition player, that's called "gamesmanship" and is an indirect free-kick out. Any player calling "Mine" or "Leave it" is supposed to be penalised.

observer
25/05/2005, 11:22 AM
The deterrent for this tactic is not a free kick out, but the fear that an irate defender may extract retribution (of the painful kind) before the game ends. ;)

pineapple stu
25/05/2005, 12:18 PM
The deterrent for this tactic is not a free kick out, but the fear that an irate defender may extract retribution (of the painful kind) before the game ends. ;)
:p

Although the free out should be awarded as well. Gave enough of them in my time refereeing!

CollegeTillIDie
28/05/2005, 8:47 AM
Ok at the risk of sounding like Roy Chubby Brown .. Who the Fook are Londford?

Schumi
28/05/2005, 12:18 PM
soundly? :D