PDA

View Full Version : City Pubs/Clubs

joe
07/03/2002, 6:28 PM
Originally posted by dalo
they were really good times to be a college student and a CCFc supporter in Cork we had the football thing (city!!) the music thang (sultans, frank and walters) and the gorby's thang (2 punts to get in and 99p for a bottle of TNT cider) going on. the football while not always great was more than compensated by the shed wit and the fanzines.

one thing that irks me is the lack of a city pub/club. i think i must have just missed out on that particular era of Gorby's as any time we were in there with city gear on we stood out like, well, city fans :D

Is there any recognised spot for city fans to go to these days? the off-season is coming up and I think most of us will be suffering from withdrawl symptoms so it would be nice if there was somewhere to go to meet like-minded individuals for a few scoops from time to time :D

Pablo
07/03/2002, 6:51 PM
Well apart from Lining a certain Landlord/Club director/chipperman's pockets the lack of a pub is a downer allright. Somewhere on Evergreen Street Like the Hoseshoe or the XTavern is always a good spot before and after games, but apart from that i havent a clue!

dalo
08/03/2002, 7:43 AM
Originally posted by joe

one thing that irks me is the lack of a city pub/club. i think i must have just missed out on that particular era of Gorby's as any time we were in there with city gear on we stood out like, well, city fans :D

:D

being a city fan in cork is like being prophets without honour in our own land.

me mates who used to go to games for a season or two can't understand why i bother going anymore :(

Neil
08/03/2002, 8:58 AM
being a city fan in cork is like being prophets without honour in our own land.

The worst is when you get taunted by an (Irish) Liverpool 'fan' who gives out to ya for "supporting a Garrison sport being played in Ireland"!

mouldymurphy
08/03/2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by joe

it wouldnt be this gorby's http://homepage.tinet.ie/~gorbys/home/home.html

A face
08/03/2002, 10:26 AM
the right thing to do is to adopt one. I would be good to have a "City" local. We would have to change all the CD's in the pub and have our pictures (Cup winning team, etc.) put up aswell ..... it would take a while but it would be fun doing it.

Do you see any possible pubs here ??? (http://homepage.tinet.ie/~gorbys/pubs/pubs.html)

Neil
08/03/2002, 10:33 AM
Fred Zeppelins is where the Independants are meeting up, yeah? When is the next of their meetings by the way?

mouldymurphy
08/03/2002, 10:35 AM
id say the morgue its just like our season dead :D :D :D

A face
08/03/2002, 10:36 AM
But if more than 30 City fans turn up ..... we are feiced. How 'bout the Brog, it was a big City pub before.

Pablo
08/03/2002, 1:01 PM
Wouldnt a pub nearer the Cross be more apropriate?

Peadar
08/03/2002, 1:15 PM
Originally posted by joe
Is there any recognised spot for city fans to go to these days? the off-season is coming up and I think most of us will be suffering from withdrawl symptoms so it would be nice if there was somewhere to go to meet like-minded individuals for a few scoops from time to time :D

It's bad enough having to see all you ******s during the season without having to suffer during the off season as well.
The off season is a time to get to know your family again.

dalo
08/03/2002, 1:26 PM
Originally posted by Peadar

It's bad enough having to see all you ******s during the season without having to suffer during the off season as well.
The off season is a time to get to know your family again.

can't disagree with you there peader :D i reckon i'd be happy to keep my anonimity intact.

anyway i have enough friends and family without needing to hang out with city fans all the time. ;)

Bernie
08/03/2002, 2:59 PM
Maybe with Gorbys being relaunched we could get our feet in the door first.

A face
08/03/2002, 3:18 PM

can't disagree with you there peader :D i reckon i'd be happy to keep my anonimity intact.

anyway i have enough friends and family without needing to hang out with city fans all the time. ;)

To be honest ..... i only wanted to go for a few pints, you are reading it to it far too much, maybe it would all be too much for you :D

Anyway lads you need to have a pub in town so when you are on the tear, you can drop in for a few scoops, if it is near the cross it will be well out of the way, but we should also pick a pub matchdays aswell. Or is the horseshoe too convenient

RedReb
08/03/2002, 5:51 PM
i reccomend the beer garden, its big and there not 2 bothered about lads havin a good sing song. its nearly always empty after city matches. we had the best nite ever after the rovers cup match singing & drinking all nite long. u wouldnt get that anywhere else out in the cross, you would be kicked out in a flash elsewhere (e.g TCT, EVERGREEN) we could give it a go next season.

James
08/03/2002, 5:52 PM

i dont think anyone was suggesting meeting up with you in paticular dalo (my we have a healthy ego dont we).... and as for u tea-boy..any chance not to hear your bohs exploits is a welcome opportunity :D

i think its a good idea..nice summer months find a place that has a beer garden .. sup a few pints..how bad..

anyway we dont get much of off season this time round so we dont really have that problem.

but the brog is a grand pub imo , but the morgue as earlier stated would also be very apt..

Peadar
08/03/2002, 6:26 PM
Originally posted by James
and as for u tea-boy..any chance not to hear your bohs exploits is a welcome opportunity :D

Oh James, I didn't mean you, I love hearing about your heroics in Junior 3 Gaelic football against the Mighty St Mary's.

I'm on duty for Bohs again on Sunday.
Have to get some shots for a glossy calendar.
Oh the stories I could tell!
You'll be sorry you missed them James.

ccfcman
09/03/2002, 10:19 AM
wouldnt a pub IN the cross be better again?

Éanna
11/03/2002, 2:40 PM
it would be great to adpot somewhere alright, something to do in the future definitely. Going on the tear after matches is a great laugh!

joe
14/03/2002, 9:32 PM
Purely in the interests of research, myself and two colleagues, who shall remain nameless, checked out the credentials of The Cube as a possible City bar. Suffice it to say you can strike that one off the list, though it was nice to see Willie Thorn in there :D

dalo
15/03/2002, 8:04 AM
of course the only about a CCFC bar is that like the cross at match sday there would be ten guys in there with no chicks to gawp at........

yeah sounds great fun :rolleyes:

joe
15/03/2002, 10:24 AM
of course the only about a CCFC bar is that like the cross at match sday there would be ten guys in there with no chicks to gawp at........

yeah sounds great fun :rolleyes:

we would, of course, invite your girlfriend along dalo :D

dalo
15/03/2002, 10:42 AM
or what about that fine thing who does the modeling on the programme :D

joe
15/03/2002, 10:45 AM
or what about that fine thing who does the modeling on the programme :D

once your girlfriend finds out you've been making comments like that, i'm sure she'll be delighted to come to our City pub :D