PDA

View Full Version : Breaking news

Sheridan
21/05/2005, 10:14 PM
A middle-aged Northern Irish man has been admitted to Beaumont Hospital after complaining of stomach pains. X-rays revealed that the man had swallowed a small silver whistle, which was successfully extricated from his stomach. He is now scheduled to undergo a further operation to remove his head from his a$$.

Seriously though, what was he playing at? We can't even lay claim to the best worst officials on the island anymore (despite Rhona's valiant efforts.) :mad:

A face
21/05/2005, 10:41 PM
Less of it .... City fans were saying it all along and we were told we were making up conspiracy theories ...... less of it now from you all !! :p

Sheridan
21/05/2005, 10:46 PM
But the question, Mr. Face, is who bribed him this time?? RTÉ. in a desperate underhand bid to decimate Setanta's ratings? :eek:

Slash/ED
21/05/2005, 10:46 PM
Less of it .... City fans were saying it all along and we were told we were making up conspiracy theories ...... less of it now from you all !! :p

No you didn't say rubbish officals you said they had it in for Cork, that's the difference.

He was rubbish, no doubt, god it was an awful ref performance but Collina in the middle and we still would have lost.

A face
21/05/2005, 10:57 PM
No you didn't say rubbish officals you said they had it in for Cork, that's the difference.

Ahh now Slash ... come one now .... i think it was a resounding "That ref is sh!te" to be fair !! :p

Slash/ED
21/05/2005, 11:01 PM
I would have been fine if it was A Face, but jaysus the amount of bribery scandels and everyone has it in for Cork, Setanta themselves were accused of trying to get Cork knocked out of the tournament!

The ref was sh*te, as all of them have been so far, because the standard of reffing in this Island is a joke, that's all there is to it.

EnDai
21/05/2005, 11:03 PM
"The ref is sh!te, he has it in for us. Ollie paid him. He won't give us penos because he hates travelling here. Shels paid him. He has it in for us. Everyone has it in for us."

;):d

Fullback
21/05/2005, 11:03 PM
Courtney is as good a referee as Jumbo is a tightrope walker.

The man has a history of fcuking up,every fan up in our League will tell you that.

God himself only knows how he got to ref the game.

Anto McC
22/05/2005, 9:40 AM
Courtney is as good a referee as Jumbo is a tightrope walker.

:D :D :D

Drumcondra Red
22/05/2005, 9:57 AM
Personally I was shocked at what he failed to give both teams, he was unbelievable, even some of the frees he did give made very little sence

By far the worst ref I've ever witnessed.

patsh
22/05/2005, 10:02 AM
I didn't think it was possible, but he gave a worse performance than in the $hels/City game.
Fair play to both teams, it must have been head-wrecking putting up with his sh*te.
Well done Linfield, I don't think ANY eL side would have beaten them last night, they had a good game plan, and used it brilliantly.
Jeffries must be the shrewdest and wiliest manager on the island.
And for all the slagging we give them, $hels fans were excellent last night, Linfield's were superb, and even from the television, you could sense the fantastic atmosphere at the game.

Éanna
22/05/2005, 1:45 PM
ah justice :)

Slash/ED
22/05/2005, 9:18 PM
I didn't think it was possible, but he gave a worse performance than in the $hels/City game.
Fair play to both teams, it must have been head-wrecking putting up with his sh*te.
Well done Linfield, I don't think ANY eL side would have beaten them last night, they had a good game plan, and used it brilliantly.
Jeffries must be the shrewdest and wiliest manager on the island.
And for all the slagging we give them, $hels fans were excellent last night, Linfield's were superb, and even from the television, you could sense the fantastic atmosphere at the game.

My god, Patsh praising Shels fans, or even Shels anything, now I've seen everything :eek:

Fair play patsh :p

Copa Mundial
23/05/2005, 2:29 AM
I would have been fine if it was A Face, but jaysus the amount of bribery scandels and everyone has it in for Cork, Setanta themselves were accused of trying to get Cork knocked out of the tournament!

The ref was sh*te, as all of them have been so far, because the standard of reffing in this Island is a joke, that's all there is to it.

:mad: Like you have the qualifications to know...other than an opinion...which counts for fcuk all when it comes to referees!!

Im not defending the performance...its the "because the standard of reffing in this Island is a joke, that's all there is to it" comment that irritates me! Get a life...or a whistle ;)

Éanna
23/05/2005, 12:50 PM
:mad: Like you have the qualifications to know...other than an opinion...which counts for fcuk all when it comes to referees!!
The forum is all about opinions, and he's quite entitled to his Copa Mundial, ok?

Slash/ED
23/05/2005, 12:52 PM

Im not defending the performance...its the "because the standard of reffing in this Island is a joke, that's all there is to it" comment that irritates me! Get a life...or a whistle ;)

I doubt I'd find (m)any that disagree with me.

patsh
23/05/2005, 1:43 PM
My god, Patsh praising Shels fans, or even Shels anything, now I've seen everything :eek:

Fair play patsh :p
Believe it or not, I always praise certain things about $hels, but just not on public forums.
Rivals will always be deadly enemies......;)

A face
23/05/2005, 2:58 PM
Rivals will always be deadly enemies......;)

Too f**kin' right Patsh ... Sod the f**kin' *******, with the bleedin' ***** and *** ... they can *@^&+" J%)"~ the fúckin' |)!C$H£^|)$ !!! :D :p

Deadly i tells ya .... Deadly !! ;)

CuanaD
23/05/2005, 3:10 PM
He was rubbish, no doubt, god it was an awful ref performance but Collina in the middle and we still would have lost.

Yes, but at least it would have been fair - to all the players & the fans.

I was at the game and as an ex-ref myself I always watch the ref as much as the game itself - IMHO that was the worst ref's performance I have witnessed at any level. Simply put, a violent elbow in the head would normally be seen as voilent conduct - which is a straight red card - once he let the first go unpunished the tackles became more dangerous. I can never condone dissent against the ref by the players but it must have been extreemly frustrating for both sets of players having to put up with such a bad level of refing.

as an asside - I felt the 2 assistant refs did a decent job generally on the night

Troy.McClure
23/05/2005, 5:26 PM
Did eL people in general think that the IL refs let 'hard' tackles go more than those from the eL? Usually Liam Kearney gets about 10-15 fouls per game but wasnt really given too much by them + GO'C got hacked to peices by Portadown in the X without any yellows against him (except for the red that should have been a yellow, but that just goes back to showing how cr@p the ref was).

Copa Mundial
24/05/2005, 10:17 AM
Did eL people in general think that the IL refs let 'hard' tackles go more than those from the eL? Usually Liam Kearney gets about 10-15 fouls per game but wasnt really given too much by them + GO'C got hacked to peices by Portadown in the X without any yellows against him (except for the red that should have been a yellow, but that just goes back to showing how cr@p the ref was).

There seems to have been a slight difference in tolerance levels between refs north and south.If you look at the group games, Cork/Shels and Shels/Cork were refereed by northern officials and Linfield/Glens, Glens/Linfield refereed by southern officials.

In the 2 big games down here,both games were surrounded in controversy,but in both big games up north they went off without a hitch.
Having spoken to an el ref, he informed me that the northern officials were amazed at the level of dissent and abuse they received from players during the games down here.Apparently that level of dissent does not appear up north because players and officials immediately receive severe fines and suspensions.
According to the el ref thats not the case down here as the disciplinary board are to lenient and dont deal with this issue quickly enough or severly enough :confused:
I have heard some scandalous abuse directed at refs and no matter how good or bad people may think they are,surely they dont deserve some of that!

Éanna
24/05/2005, 10:52 AM
According to the el ref thats not the case down here as the disciplinary board are to lenient and dont deal with this issue quickly enough or severly enough :confused:
I have heard some scandalous abuse directed at refs and no matter how good or bad people may think they are,surely they dont deserve some of that!
That much I agree with, but IMO the referees themselves are to blame for that. If dissent is such a problem, all they have to do is start booking people and sending them off for it (which the rules allow them to do) and players will soon get the message

patsh
24/05/2005, 11:03 AM
Having spoken to an el ref, he informed me that the northern officials were amazed at the level of dissent and abuse they received from players during the games down here.Apparently that level of dissent does not appear up north because players and officials immediately receive severe fines and suspensions.
1. If the level of abuse is so bad, (and I believe that certain teams DO try everything to intimidate refs), referees should refuse to officiate at all eL games until a satisfactory method of disciplinary hearings are put in place, with clearly defined sanctions for offences, and most importantly, all sanctions ARE FULLY IMPLEMENTED.

2. Referees themselves must act against this "abuse" and caution and send players off. This might lead to a mass of suspensions initially, but the message would soon get across.

3. Referees must be "punished" for poor levels of officiating, and be publicly seen to be punished for bad games. To see Courtenay "rewarded" by getting to ref the final, even though he had a hugely controversial impact on the tournament, increases fans cynicism that refs are hopelessly imcompetent, yet nothing is done about it.

Copa Mundial
24/05/2005, 11:05 AM
That much I agree with, but IMO the referees themselves are to blame for that. If dissent is such a problem, all they have to do is start booking people and sending them off for it (which the rules allow them to do) and players will soon get the message

Eanna, refs book and send off players for dissent and foul and abusive when the situations present themselves.Players dont get the message because a E20 fine for a booking for dissent isnt going to teach them a lesson.I have spoken to el refs an they feel frustrated and undermined by the disciplinary board, although they have said that there seems to be a slight change this season.
I dont want to see players suspended,it takes from the entertainment of the games, but as ive said here plenty of times,refs are an easy target for people to take out there frustrations...even though SOMETIMES they dont help themselves.

The original point that I was trying to make was, if players know that they are going to miss games for silly bookings,they will be less likely to put themselves in a position to pick up pointless red and yellow cards.

Éanna
24/05/2005, 11:21 AM
Eanna, refs book and send off players for dissent and foul and abusive when the situations present themselves.No they don't. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen players run towards referees screaming and shouting and swearing at them, and they rarely get booked. FFS, Owen Heary pushed a referee at Turners Cross two years ago and the ref didn't even book him for it!

I'll give you an example- I was at an U21 league match between City and UL up in limerick about 3 years ago. The ref was a young fella (he's now on the eircom League panel) and about 5 mins into the game, he gave a free against City. One of the City players turned and screamed "you ****ing wánker" at him. He didn't even speak to the guy about it, let alone card him. If referees don't demand respect, then they're less likely to get it.

Copa Mundial
24/05/2005, 11:44 AM
No they don't. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen players run towards referees screaming and shouting and swearing at them, and they rarely get booked. FFS, Owen Heary pushed a referee at Turners Cross two years ago and the ref didn't even book him for it!

I'll give you an example- I was at an U21 league match between City and UL up in limerick about 3 years ago. The ref was a young fella (he's now on the eircom League panel) and about 5 mins into the game, he gave a free against City. One of the City players turned and screamed "you ****ing wánker" at him. He didn't even speak to the guy about it, let alone card him. If referees don't demand respect, then they're less likely to get it.

Its not as black and white as that.Everybody can say something in the heat of the moment.I used to referee schoolboy games a few years ago and when I started refereeing i was told to COMMUNICATE with players and thats 3/4 of what refereeing is about.
I take your point about the situation in limerick and its true,if you dont demand respect, you wont get it, but some of the more prominent refs in the league DO have the respect of the players but supporters still dont want to know...they still see abusing a ref as a way to let go of any built up frustration.
Look,I know more often than not im on here defending refs,a) because i was one once upon a time and b) because im familiar with the time,sacrafice and effort that current el refs put into refereeing. These are things that supporters dont see.They only see the person that turns up at the weekend to ref their clubs game(and procedes to upset their weekend :) )

Im only trying to show 'the other side of the coin'

Maybe the FAI should show supporters how referees are trained and how they prepare for games etc etc...maybe then suppoerters will respect them a little more...or at least make them more understanding! :ball:

pete
24/05/2005, 12:30 PM
When players are professional & suspension means they'll lose their place in the team plus maybe club fine then they will realise that abusing the referee that results in a yellow card is a serious matter.