PDA

View Full Version : Velbazhd Kyustendil

pineapple stu
19/05/2005, 8:24 PM
Just rooting around on rsssf.com as you do, and I found Velbazhd Kyustendil again! After they "merged" with Lokomotiv Plovdid the year after we played them, they reformed in the Southwest regional leagues (third flight), and have been there ever since. 2002/03 (http://www.rsssf.com/tablesb/bulg03.html) is as recent a table as I can find on the website - they finished 12th out of 18.

Checked their 2000/01 campaign - lists full goalscorers and everything. The names come flooding back! (If like me you have the highlights of the match on video...!) Mihail Mihailov was the league's second top scorer with 17 the previous season, but doesn't feature at all in 2000/01, so he must have been sold abroad or gotten seriously injured...

John-boy
26/05/2005, 7:42 PM
Ah, those were the days. Anyone want some information about that glorious shining moment of UCD history go to http://www.ucd.ie/~soccsup/europe.html

Pineapple, I thought everyone's favourite eternal student (not Schumi, the other one) was going to take that down. That website is like a cockroach in that it will outlive us all.

hamish
26/05/2005, 7:59 PM
I used to be intrigued by a Romanian club called Petrolul Ploesti. Anyone know what they are called now?
What ever happened to the East German League club Vorwaerts - didn't they play Rovers in the sixties or seventies?

There was some other East Berlin club but I'm fcuked if I can remember their name. Dynamo Berlin? I think they were moved out of the city by the commies.

Tried various German football websites but couldn't find much.

pineapple stu
27/05/2005, 12:28 PM
Jayz, John-Boy! Long time no hear! Bald Student's taking care of the website...new STIG website being bought at the weekend...

John-boy
27/05/2005, 6:49 PM
WHo's bald student?

CollegeTillIDie
28/05/2005, 8:52 AM
I used to be intrigued by a Romanian club called Petrolul Ploesti. Anyone know what they are called now?
What ever happened to the East German League club Vorwaerts - didn't they play Rovers in the sixties or seventies?

There was some other East Berlin club but I'm fcuked if I can remember their name. Dynamo Berlin? I think they were moved out of the city by the commies.

Tried various German football websites but couldn't find much.

Dynamo Berlin still exist as FC Berlin and play in the Regional Liga for the former East Germany which is about 3rd or 4th Divisional levels. Their former East German international goalie( he played in DDR's final game) was playing with them up to two seasons ago last I heard .

hamish
30/05/2005, 6:04 PM
Thanks CTID, heard of them indeed but Vorwaerts?? Hope I've spelled that right.

John83
09/06/2005, 11:39 AM
WHo's bald student?
He's JC, JR. (And I'm JH)

Damn, we've far too many Js.

Aberdonian Stu
09/06/2005, 12:16 PM
You can never have too many Js aight :cool:

HarpoJoyce
17/06/2005, 10:48 PM
Thanks CTID, heard of them indeed but Vorwaerts?? Hope I've spelled that right.

Vorwaerts were the Army team. But they challenged the police FC Dynamo too closely so they were moved to Frankfurt-am-Oder on the Polish border. They didn't win many trophies after that.

Three clubs from the Ostliga were promoted to the Bundesliga premier division after unification. Hansa Rostock are a yo-yo club and the most sucessful, Chemnitz ( Karl-Marx Stadt) and Rot Wiess Erfurt are still knocking around the lower Divisions of the Bundesliga. I haven't researched any of this its from my football memory.

Is it possible to get Umblatts on vowels with an EN language? emm Pineapple?

pineapple stu
17/06/2005, 10:55 PM
Do you mean ö?

Hold down Alt while typing out 148 on the right hand key pad will bring up ö. Alt 129 is ü, Alt 133 is ä. There are no umlauts (in German at least) on e or i, so that's the lot.

hamish
18/06/2005, 12:56 AM
Vorwaerts were the Army team. But they challenged the police FC Dynamo too closely so they were moved to Frankfurt-am-Oder on the Polish border. They didn't win many trophies after that.

Three clubs from the Ostliga were promoted to the Bundesliga premier division after unification. Hansa Rostock are a yo-yo club and the most sucessful, Chemnitz ( Karl-Marx Stadt) and Rot Wiess Erfurt are still knocking around the lower Divisions of the Bundesliga. I haven't researched any of this its from my football memory.

Thanks for that HJ, I do indeed recall them being moved to Frankfurst but lost track of them after that. You've stirred the old memory there. I think there was another smallish club called Magdeburg??? who had an East German national goalkeeper - I've vaguish memory of him but that's as much as I can recall.

Schumi
20/06/2005, 10:35 AM
Do you mean ö?

Hold down Alt while typing out 148 on the right hand key pad will bring up ö. Alt 129 is ü, Alt 133 is ä. There are no umlauts (in German at least) on e or i, so that's the lot.
If you click on the Start button and then on 'run', type in charmap and hit OK you get a box with all the different symbols.

pineapple stu
20/06/2005, 12:33 PM
Alternatively, go to Start...Programmes...Accessories...System Tools and it's there. When in Word, you can Insert Symbol as well, and then copy it to the likes of foot.ie, which is what I did for my signature! :)

CollegeTillIDie
22/06/2005, 5:46 PM
FC Magdeburg winners of the ECWC in 1974?
They were in the lower division mentioned by me in a previous posting which covers the area formerly covered by the DDR's Oberliga.

hamish
22/06/2005, 5:59 PM
FC Magdeburg winners of the ECWC in 1974?
They were in the lower division mentioned by me in a previous posting which covers the area formerly covered by the DDR's Oberliga.

Who was that Magdeburg goalkeeper CTID - I think he got a record number of East German caps or something like that. I remember reading an article about him in some footie magazine donkeys years ago????

CollegeTillIDie
22/06/2005, 6:07 PM
Who was that Magdeburg goalkeeper CTID - I think he got a record number of East German caps or something like that. I remember reading an article about him in some footie magazine donkeys years ago????

I am not sure who the Magdeburg goalie was. The record DDR cap holder was goalkeeper Juergen Croy and his club was Sachsenring Zwickau.

hamish
22/06/2005, 6:18 PM
I am not sure who the Magdeburg goalie was. The record DDR cap holder was goalkeeper Juergen Croy and his club was Sachsenring Zwickau.

Maybe that's the club 'cos the keeper's name rings a bell. Would that be around late 60s to early 70s????

Your knowledge of all this is awesome. Seriously.

CollegeTillIDie
22/06/2005, 6:37 PM
Maybe that's the club 'cos the keeper's name rings a bell. Would that be around late 60s to early 70s????

Your knowledge of all this is awesome. Seriously.
Yes that was his timeframe.Croy played in the famous East German 1-0 win over the West Germans in the 1974 World Cup and also won a Gold medal at the 1976 Montreal Olympics when the DDR finally won an international tournament. ;)

hamish
22/06/2005, 6:47 PM
Yes that was his timeframe.Croy played in the famous East German 1-0 win over the West Germans in the 1974 World Cup and also won a Gold medal at the 1976 Montreal Olympics when the DDR finally won an international tournament. ;)

Thank you CTID - I'm happy now. :)

pineapple stu
05/07/2005, 12:30 PM
About 1000 or so at the Velbazhd game. Looked larger at the time, but I think it was seated only, so the AIB stand was packed. A couple of thousand tickets were dropped out around the neighbourhood; less than 1% went to the game.

CollegeTillIDie
05/07/2005, 8:40 PM
About 1000 or so at the Velbazhd game. Looked larger at the time, but I think it was seated only, so the AIB stand was packed. A couple of thousand tickets were dropped out around the neighbourhood; less than 1% went to the game

Attendance was around 1,700 folks. And it was higher than the attendance in the second leg. Plus we had the usual goodwill from other EL supporters as there were many fans of Rovers, Bohs, St.Pat's and Bray at the game. It was blazing hot too... in the home leg.

pineapple stu
05/07/2005, 9:06 PM
Attendance was around 1,700 folks.
Are you sure?! I have the highlights on video and it looks fairly small - main stand is ful (800 say), there's a few in the Cascarino Stand (100) and not a huge amount standing...? Don't forget programme sales were much higher than normal, so you can't use that to guess the crowd! In fact, I learnt in the Faroes (as you do), that it's the last time an Irish club sold out of a European programme! They're worth about E30 now! :eek:

Poor Student
05/07/2005, 9:08 PM
Are you sure?! I have the highlights on video and it looks fairly small - main stand is ful (800 say), there's a few in the Cascarino Stand (100) and not a huge amount standing...? Don't forget programme sales were much higher than normal, so you can't use that to guess the crowd! In fact, I learnt in the Faroes (as you do), that it's the last time an Irish club sold out of a European programme! They're worth about E30 now! :eek:

The stading around the ground can be hughely deceptive though. I noticed on a handcount it can be 2, 3 or even 4 times more than you'd have guessed by looking.

pineapple stu
05/07/2005, 9:11 PM
Not for European games though - no standing allowed. There were a few, but not many. Was one of the first games I remember the Hill being closed off for.

Schumi
05/07/2005, 9:19 PM
Standing is allowed for InterToto games.

CollegeTillIDie
05/07/2005, 9:58 PM
Not for European games though - no standing allowed. There were a few, but not many. Was one of the first games I remember the Hill being closed off for.

Normal UEFA rules did not apply in the Intertoto Cup pineapple stu.
Standing was permitted both in Belfield and in Kyustendil, bot not on our hill.
The perimeter standing was allowed and I have that figure from a club source at the time.

Neither stadium would have been allowed to field games in either the Champions League qualifiers or the UEFA Cup for the record. :ball:

Schumi
05/07/2005, 10:15 PM
Does anyone (Harpo?) have any pictures of Velbazhd's stadium?

pineapple stu
06/07/2005, 8:05 AM
There's one or two in the tea room anyway.

CollegeTillIDie
06/07/2005, 9:35 PM
pineapple stu

Spot on young man. Only you would have needed to be in the dump to realise just how grotty it was :D

pineapple stu
06/07/2005, 9:40 PM
Really? The stand looks nice. Granted, the terrace looks like Richmond Park on stilts, but still...

CollegeTillIDie
06/07/2005, 10:05 PM
Really? The stand looks nice. Granted, the terrace looks like Richmond Park on stilts, but still...

Some of the terracing was crumbling. The athletics track around the pitch , the surface was coming away from the compaction for starters. There were very few seats and even if the ground had been full it would not have held more than 4,000 people. They had no floodlights which meant they had to play League games at Noon on Saturdays during the winter.