PDA

View Full Version : Setanta Cup Final Attendence ???

Buller
19/05/2005, 7:31 PM
Any guesstimates on how many people will be at the first setanta cup final between shels and linfield?!
Im going with 6 to 7,000....

harpskid
19/05/2005, 7:48 PM
I'll say a disappointing 5,500 :(

Éanna
19/05/2005, 7:49 PM
depends how many linfield bring. shels will have their usual 2,000 or so and maybe a few of the european rent-a-crowd lot will turn out

Slash/ED
19/05/2005, 8:17 PM
Linfield are saying around 2,000 possibley more, I think that'd mean a ground of around 6,000.

A face
19/05/2005, 8:54 PM
6000 is poor .... final should be full house in Tolka at least, to be fair there is no one could argue with that ... the money alone that is at stake it should be full !!

Buller
19/05/2005, 9:14 PM
the money alone that is at stake it should be full !!
I couldn't agree more but with the barstool premiersh!t culture we have in ireland, should be normally doesn't have any impact on what it actually will be... we should expect at the very most 7 or 8,000, i'd be very suprised if it was a full house. Im still going with my guesstimate of 6,000

Bosco
19/05/2005, 9:18 PM
Be realistic Aface,of course it SHOULD be a full house,the same way any final SHOULD be a full house,the same way the setanta cup final should be the talk of the country but it will be the Fa cup final.The interest just isnt there.I would guess 6,000

Éanna
19/05/2005, 10:16 PM
Pity we didn't get to the final, I reckon we'd have brought 4 or 5,000. Amazing the number of city fans/day trippers who appear when a trophy appears on the horizon :rolleyes:

Stevo Da Gull
19/05/2005, 11:30 PM
3500-4500 :( . Attendences for the comp are'nt as good as I had expected but thats probably because people would rather sit on their a*se at home and watch the match than go to it.So maybe the viewing figures are good.

Poor Student
19/05/2005, 11:34 PM
Anyone have any idea how the comp did from a TV viewership perspective?

harry crumb
20/05/2005, 12:52 AM
5000 is what Ollie Byrne expected.

Its depressing in fairness. What do you expect from a City of west-brits. :mad:

But the fans that will be there will make it a great occasion. :ball:

carrickharp
20/05/2005, 6:50 AM
Would say around the 5,000 mark as well.

patsh
20/05/2005, 8:03 AM
A major problem is that Setanta is a rival to RTE and TVMoron, so they are going to ignore it as much as possible, only mentioning it as a fixture, rather than the major event that it is.

I'm sick that we won't be there, and I'll say again that only for appalling reffing we would have been, but I really hope that Tolka is full and there is a decent game with a few goals.
Hoping for 6,000+......

drummerboy
20/05/2005, 8:11 AM
Is it the type of match to bring your kids to?

gspain
20/05/2005, 8:19 AM
A major problem is that Setanta is a rival to RTE and TVMoron, so they are going to ignore it as much as possible, only mentioning it as a fixture, rather than the major event that it is.

I'm sick that we won't be there, and I'll say again that only for appalling reffing we would have been, but I really hope that Tolka is full and there is a decent game with a few goals.
Hoping for 6,000+......

Fair point but why do they ignore our league and cup then?

Cosmo
20/05/2005, 8:25 AM
there's a guy here at work that used bring his kids to dublin city matches last season - feel sorry for the kids!! (as he is unable to go to fridaty night matches). He was thinking of bringing them to the final tomorrow but decided it against it as he reckons it wouldn't be the best of matches to bring them to re: potential for trouble, sectarian chanting, etc etc.

I personally think he's being way ott and its a pity because i reckon it'll be a cracking atmosphere.

patsh
20/05/2005, 8:27 AM
Fair point but why do they ignore our league and cup then?
I'm not defending RTE/TVMoron, merely pointing out that they have a commercial excuse to ignore this competition. Both stations will make a huge deal out of a cup final in a different country tomorrow, and barely mention Setanta....:mad:

Drumcondra Red
20/05/2005, 8:51 AM
The attendances have been poor for all of the Setanta Cup games, (Cork's 80,000 being the exception!!!) it just wasn't advertised well enough, and the promotion of the final has been rather poor too, I don't just have to wait till Saturday!

dcfcsteve
20/05/2005, 9:12 AM
I'm not defending RTE/TVMoron, merely pointing out that they have a commercial excuse to ignore this competition. Both stations will make a huge deal out of a cup final in a different country tomorrow, and barely mention Setanta....:mad:

TV3 havn't ignored Setanta at all - they usually show the goals on Sports Tonight just after the games. Eircom League weekly has mentioned the Setanta, but from memory hasn't really shown the goals though. I'm guessing the show is pre-recorded, so if it is they could be ignoring Setanta out of the fact that this prevents them showing the games from earlier that evening (i.e. they'd always be over a week behind in their coverage of it).

RTE are the real sinners here, though I'm not convinced it's some well-thought Machiavellian commercial strategy on their part to ignore it. I'd bet money on the feckers in the sports department just not even being aware of when Setanta games are on etc. Amateur ignorance, rather than professional competitivenesss.

patsh
20/05/2005, 10:15 AM
TV3 havn't ignored Setanta at all - they usually show the goals on Sports Tonight just after the games. Eircom League weekly has mentioned the Setanta, but from memory hasn't really shown the goals though. I'm guessing the show is pre-recorded, so if it is they could be ignoring Setanta out of the fact that this prevents them showing the games from earlier that evening (i.e. they'd always be over a week behind in their coverage of it).

RTE are the real sinners here, though I'm not convinced it's some well-thought Machiavellian commercial strategy on their part to ignore it. I'd bet money on the feckers in the sports department just not even being aware of when Setanta games are on etc. Amateur ignorance, rather than professional competitivenesss.
TVMoron refer to it as like any other sports competiton going on in the country, they don't treat it as a major event, and given the cross-border demension, it is a major event.
RTE radio do carry reports of the games, talk about it on their sports bulletins, and have had discussions on it on Saturday Sport, and it's often mentioned on their Friday night show, so RTE know very well it's going on.
I believe that RTE TV are deliberately ignoring it, as Setanta are a rival who nabbed F1 off them, bid against them for GAA coverage, and are a serious competitor for certain sports events.

Setanta could have promoted it a bit more though, and having the final a week later, or even on next Sunday would be a bit better, but it will be lost in the coverage of the Northwest 200 in the North, and the f*pping FA Cup Final here.

higgins
20/05/2005, 10:53 AM
I think the capacity for Shels fans is about 3,000 ... The ballybough and Riverside are for the Linfield fans I think so it will all depend on how many they bring.

5,000 would be very good

wws
20/05/2005, 11:11 AM
utter insanity some of these guesstimates!!! - unless Linfield are planning an invasion of dublin not seen since the vikings (and i dont mean dermot keelys men!) than the crowd wont top 3,500

higgins
20/05/2005, 11:27 AM
WWS its nice to see someone realistic but the attendance figures for Shels games are all some people have to slag about. When they get beat at football it normally comes down to crowds..

You cant win! ...

Ive said 5,000 would be very good but other post crazy figures so they can then come out with the rubbish of where is all the shels fans. Setting themselves up for a few rants come sunday.

If shels were to sell out the Main Stand and the New Stand im sure it would be due to the 90% non shels fans from other clubs or some other such nonsense. Oh actually its our european rent a crowd !! Like the exact same people turn up week in week out at all other clubs :mad: There has already been posts saying "if it was city in the final ..................."

patsh
20/05/2005, 11:33 AM
And higgins gets his retaliation in first.......:rolleyes:
I would hope for a 6,000+ crowd, but given the FA cup final, the Northwest 200 and the general apathy towards this, I think less than 4,000 will show up.

Schumi
20/05/2005, 11:37 AM
Are Linfield getting the Riverside and Ballybough end? That's about 2/3rds of the capacity isn't it? Surely there must be a better way to segregate the ground.

patsh
20/05/2005, 11:38 AM
Are Linfield getting the Riverside and Ballybough end? That's about 2/3rds of the capacity isn't it? Surely there must be a better way to segregate the ground.
Surely all their fans will be acommodated in the riverside stand? How much does that hold?

Schumi
20/05/2005, 11:42 AM
Riverside is 4,500 I think.

Just going on this above:

I think the capacity for Shels fans is about 3,000 ... The ballybough and Riverside are for the Linfield fans

higgins
20/05/2005, 12:02 PM

Im not sure they can keep everyone apart without giving the Linfield fans the Riverside and the Ballybough end together... So the talk of 6,000 + is on the basis that Linfield bring down over 3,000!!

pete
20/05/2005, 12:26 PM

Shels will get 2500 including neutrals. Linfield to bring 1500.

Shels fans not to be heard as Linfield drown them out.

€20 adult + 2 kids ticket is a steal.

paudie
20/05/2005, 12:41 PM
Is it the type of match to bring your kids to?

I'd say the match itself will be good, like most matches so far in the tournament.

However there will probably be certain inflammatory chants from a small minority of Linfield fans.

Quite a few of their own fans commented negatively about this on their forum after the game in Longford.

Maybe with a high alcohol intake and think Belfast accents your kids may be none the wiser about the wording of the chants!!

Slash/ED
20/05/2005, 12:44 PM
Im not sure they can keep everyone apart without giving the Linfield fans the Riverside and the Ballybough end together... So the talk of 6,000 + is on the basis that Linfield bring down over 3,000!!

I doubt they'd turn people away if they wanted to goto the match and the Richmond Road and Drumcondra End stands were sold out.

Fortuna1886
20/05/2005, 2:00 PM
Rumour has it we have only shifted about 1200 tickets, The NW 200 and FA cup final certainly hasn't helped.

The short notice has also made it hard for supporters clubs to get transport.

If the cup continues I hope the venue is switched year about, apart from when 2 teams from the same country are in the final.

ltfc_2004
20/05/2005, 2:16 PM
I was down at lunch and the lad i was talking to said they only expected 4000 at most if even that

He had piles of tickets on the table and anyone i met buying one was from other Eircom league clubs not having a go at Shels

Slash/ED
20/05/2005, 2:16 PM
It changes every year, next year it'll be in the North unless it's an all Southern final and I'd assume that means Windsor.

pineapple stu
20/05/2005, 2:26 PM
Aertel mention that the game is live on RTÉ radio! :rolleyes:

Though a while back, RTÉ News mentioned that an Arsenal v. Man Utd game had just kicked off live on Sky Sports, the same time as Longford were playing on Setanta - which didn't warrant even a mention. :rolleyes: :mad:

pete
20/05/2005, 2:45 PM
RTE 1 Radio have very good eL covrage. Tv are just plain useless.

Ruairi
20/05/2005, 3:13 PM
Full commentary on newstalk 106 AFAIK

Slash/ED
20/05/2005, 3:27 PM
You can't beat Declan Drake if that's who's doing the Newstalk commentary.

Buller
21/05/2005, 9:37 PM
Im just back from the Setanta Cup final, very poor shels performance... Good attentance, any guesstimates?! id say about 5,000 were at it, if not more

anto eile
21/05/2005, 10:20 PM
i reckon 5000. 1000 shels in new stand. 1700 in main stand, a few empty seats,but not many.
i reckon close to 3000 linfield fans.super crowd, and good atmosphere -despite some "debatable" chants.
riverside holds close to 5000,if not more

so maybe 5500 at most

Slash/ED
21/05/2005, 10:44 PM
I'd go along with that, given the crowds in the competition so far and the day that was in it, it was a decent turn out

thecorner
22/05/2005, 12:11 AM
i reckon 5000. 1000 shels in new stand. 1700 in main stand, a few empty seats,but not many.
i reckon close to 3000 linfield fans.super crowd, and good atmosphere -despite some "debatable" chants.
riverside holds close to 5000,if not more

so maybe 5500 at most

surprise surprise...more linfield fans than $h£l$ "fans"

Blue_Daz
22/05/2005, 1:18 AM
yeah ill go with the "a few debatable chants" didnt think there was any need for it. ther was a match to play and a cup to win, not a bloomin sectaian war as to see who could sing more songs. or not try and make dublin part or the UK. i myself am a blueman but i didnt agree with the dodgy songs.

and of course there was the usual few idiots who are apparently linfield "supporters" who were booing and making racist noises and comments to the coloured player (sorry i dont know his name) shels brought on as a sub, and they were very quickly told to shut up by the vast majority of bluemen, and quickly reminded that a while ago linfield had a few coloured players themsleves. most recently about 2 years ago (miguel chinez for those who remember)

but there was a decent crowd there, from what i seen

-lamb-
22/05/2005, 10:14 AM
most recently about 2 years ago (miguel chinez for those who remember)

actually, most recently (and still on the books, isn't he?) would be fitzroy simpson!

Blue_Daz
22/05/2005, 12:11 PM
very good point lamb, but as we only seen him for about 5-6 games and wont do anymore, i didnt count him.

dcfcsteve
22/05/2005, 12:46 PM
I thought the Linfield fans were immense on the telly. Ollie Byrne should've done a Delia Smith and come on the pitch at half time to rally the silent hordes - "Woir err ya ? Lois be haavin ya.." :)

Disappointing to hear the usual "debatable" songs as well from the Linfield fans- though they seemed mostly to come just after the 2nd goal.

Very, very disappointing to hear Ndo getting monkey chants, however. Could be heard very clearly to TV - and seemed to be more than just a few knuckle-heads. It did stop towards the end of the game, so sounds like the perpetrators were indeed told to shut the feck up - which is a credit to those who silenced them.

Stevo Da Gull
22/05/2005, 9:52 PM
and of course there was the usual few idiots who are apparently linfield "supporters" who were booing and making racist noises and comments to the coloured player (sorry i dont know his name) shels brought on as a sub,

Noticed that myself also, pity about the idiots. The 1 thing that marred the occasion and a good display from the travelling contingent IMO.
Joeseph Ndo is his name (Cameroonian international), quality player.

On a more positive note, congratulations on winning the Setanta Cup. Ye were worhty winners.

Blue_Daz
23/05/2005, 11:54 AM
Noticed that myself also, pity about the idiots. The 1 thing that marred the occasion and a good display from the travelling contingent IMO.
Joeseph Ndo is his name (Cameroonian international), quality player.

On a more positive note, congratulations on winning the Setanta Cup. Ye were worhty winners.

thank you for your compliments. no one gave us much of a chance againt a team of full time professionals, but i think we proved that hard work, graft, damn dogged defending and a lot of luck can win the day. but shels for some reason didnt at all look themselves. ive seen them quite a few times on RTE's coverage of the EL and saturday would have to go down as one of the worst performances i think ive seen.

i wasnt to sure if it was Ndo or Yazdani (sp?), but it was totally out of order. i think they fail to notice that Marvin Andrews and Mark Walters are of the same skin colour, as Ndo, but they dont or never booed them.