PDA

View Full Version : Brian Lennox in yesterday's Examiner

Fair_play_boy
19/05/2005, 6:03 PM
Brian Lennox made some comments in yesterday's Examiner which made me sit up and take notice.
1. The club is going to publish attendance figures from now on.
2. He is worried about the low attendance figures, using the example that the Cross was one-third empty last Monday, at what was effectively a cup semi-final.
Said other stuff too but those two points caught my eye.

patsh
20/05/2005, 7:51 AM
Turnout at Cross a worry for City

By Liam Mackey
CORK CITY are worried they could lose their reputation as the best-supported club in the country.

Adding to the disappointment at their failure to qualify for the Setanta Cup final was the poor attendance at Turner’s Cross for Monday night’s clash with Portadown.

“It was disappointing to see the ground one-third empty for what was effectively a cup semi-final,” said chairman Brian Lennox.

“You’re trying to make progress, to hold on to players and it’s frustrating for everyone.”

In his programme notes for the game, Lennox had expressed concern about a decline in attendances.

“What should be of concern to all of us are the falling attendances at our last three home games,” he wrote.
“If this trend is to continue, we will lose our label as the best-supported club in the league.”

The chairman also announced he will publish the attendance figures for home games.

“Don’t blame me if you are disappointed with these figures,” he wrote.

“You could not be as disappointed as I am.”

Capacity at Turner’s Cross is 6,700 and, with an average gate of 3,000, full houses are rare - last season City managed it three times, twice in Europe and for the final home game of the season.

“A lot of people have goodwill towards the club,” Lennox said, “but what we need to do is get them to go the extra mile by actually coming along to games.”

While City’s defeat means Shelbourne are the eircom League club in the running for the Setanta Cup first prize of €150,000 - and are guaranteed €80,000 as runners-up - Lennox says Cork’s disappointment is tempered by the knowledge that they hadn’t factored the potential cash bonanza into their budget for the year.

“Some other clubs might do it that way but we’re more realistic,” he said.

[from examiner.ie]

A face
20/05/2005, 8:46 AM
“It was disappointing to see the ground one-third empty for what was effectively a cup semi-final,” said chairman Brian Lennox.

“You’re trying to make progress, to hold on to players and it’s frustrating for everyone.”

How could you blame anyone for not turning up when you had scenes like we did afterwards ..... knee-jerk reactions from 'fans' who are for the birds !!

patsh
20/05/2005, 10:31 AM
How could you blame anyone for not turning up when you had scenes like we did afterwards ..... knee-jerk reactions from 'fans' who are for the birds !!
I'll grant that some people thought they were being genuine and they were genuinely upset, but scenes like that only damage the club and keep many more "fans" away from the Cross than any dropped points will.....:(

Poor Student
20/05/2005, 12:54 PM
Fair play to him for his honesty and willingness to publish the figures. It seems one by one clubs are moving towards giving out official attendences. Interesting though it talks about the Setanta money not being factored into the budget, you wonder what kind of attendences they are banking on for the season. Perhaps he is doing this to give a wake up call to the fans to boost flagging attendences as not enough cash is coming in?

pete
20/05/2005, 1:06 PM
Its possible Lennox has budgetted for more than an average of 3000 crowd but this will likely to increased with UEFA Cup game(s) later in the year.

Fair dues to Lennox for coming out in the open with the facts & god to see he hadn't assumed the Setanta Cup money in his budget.

Two year ago he said city would finish 3rd, 2nd and 1st in league for next 3 years & so far so good. Last year he said we'd make round 3 of the inter toto cup & don't think many would have believed him...

Poor Student
20/05/2005, 1:08 PM
Two year ago he said city would finish 3rd, 2nd and 1st in league for next 3 years & so far so good. Last year he said we'd make round 3 of the inter toto cup & don't think many would have believed him...

I assume in his wildest dreams he didn't budget for that though. Any idea what happened to the surplus cash?

Peadar
20/05/2005, 1:25 PM
Any idea what happened to the surplus cash?

The rumours about Pat Dolan being paid off with chips weren't actually true.

patsh
20/05/2005, 1:26 PM
We didn't get it yet?

I remember some talk that prizemoney not given out until all Euro competitions over, so after CL final on Wednesday.
Doubt if there will be too much surplus, given how much each trip cost....

Copa Mundial
20/05/2005, 4:01 PM
I think he is quite right to say what he said.The only real revenue that Cork have is their gate receipts. The bottomless pit that some people believe exists, is a myth,therefore the chairman is doing whatever he can to maximise income.
There is no reason why a club like Cork,in a sports mad city,and at a time where soccer has never been more high profile, cant get regular gates of 6,000+

Éanna
20/05/2005, 4:24 PM
I think he is quite right to say what he said.The only real revenue that Cork have is their gate receipts. The bottomless pit that some people believe exists, is a myth,therefore the chairman is doing whatever he can to maximise income.
Exactly. Fair play to Brian, he's being totally up front about the situation, despite what some muppets are alleging.

There is no reason why a club like Cork,in a sports mad city,and at a time where soccer has never been more high profile, cant get regular gates of 6,000+I wouldn't agree that Cork is a sports mad city. It's a success mad city- any sign of a trophy and everyone is a fan. :rolleyes:

Fair_play_boy
21/05/2005, 1:31 AM
I wouldn't agree that Cork is a sports mad city. It's a success mad city- any sign of a trophy and everyone is a fan. :rolleyes:Excellent distinction. And spot on too, if we are being honest about ourselves.