PDA

View Full Version : Officials for Setanta Cup final announced

Sheridan
19/05/2005, 5:34 PM
Ref: Mark Courtney (IFA)
Assistants: Dave Wogan, Rhona Daly
Fourth Official: Brian Turkington

Courtney looks like a compromise appointment; on the one hand, he's Northern Irish, on the other he reffed Shels-Cork...

I don't mean to be unduly personal, but Rhona Daly is the worst official I have ever seen in the eL. I appreciate that she has much to learn, but permitting her to materially affect the outcome of such high-profile games is NOT the wisest way to bring about that improvement.

Éanna
19/05/2005, 7:19 PM
They have actually managed to pick the worst official from the competition in every position. Outstanding :rolleyes: :mad:

wintz
20/05/2005, 6:59 AM
What a joke appointment, in such a showpiece final we should of flown in a ref from the English premier league/championship. Courtney is a joke at the best of times, lets look forward to hearing both sets of fans sing "you don't know what your doing" throughout the match!

patsh
20/05/2005, 7:57 AM
Surely Setanta could have engaged full-time professional officials from the Premiership/Anywhere but this island for this game?

After all the controversy about officiating in this competition, and the sheer incompetence and ineptitude that we all saw from at least 3 of these officials, they could have tried to ensure that poor decisons would not spoil the final or result, in the same way that a lot of results in this competition were decided by officials, not players......:rolleyes:

drinkfeckarse
20/05/2005, 8:17 AM
Surely Setanta could have engaged full-time professional officials from the Premiership/Anywhere but this island for this game?

Maybe but you'd then get a lot of people moaning with the "what's wrong with getting the officials from here" line :rolleyes:

We are a nation of moaners who are never happy ;) :D

patsh
20/05/2005, 8:30 AM
Maybe but you'd then get a lot of people moaning with the "what's wrong with getting the officials from here" line :rolleyes:

I doubt if anyone could legitimately complain if they imported professional officials for this game. Anyone that did complain would simply need to be reminded of/shown just how badly the officials carried out their duties in the games so far.

Jim Smith
20/05/2005, 9:32 AM
I doubt if anyone could legitimately complain if they imported professional officials for this game. Anyone that did complain would simply need to be reminded of/shown just how badly the officials carried out their duties in the games so far.If they imported professional officials for the final it would be the same as publicly admitting that the officials used in the preceding games were not up to scratch. To do this would be the same as saying publicly that the competition was flawed and the results meaningless. They are never going to do this - nor should they.
I can just see the anti-eL brigade's reaction: "So Mickey Mouse that they don't even have decent officials..." I'm not saying that the standard of officiating couldn't be higher, just that if you are trying to raise the profile of the eL then you don't wash your dirty linen in public...

patsh
20/05/2005, 10:18 AM
If they imported professional officials for the final it would be the same as publicly admitting that the officials used in the preceding games were not up to scratch. To do this would be the same as saying publicly that the competition was flawed and the results meaningless. They are never going to do this - nor should they.
I can just see the anti-eL brigade's reaction: "So Mickey Mouse that they don't even have decent officials..." I'm not saying that the standard of officiating couldn't be higher, just that if you are trying to raise the profile of the eL then you don't wash your dirty linen in public...
Fair point, but if you are trying to raise the profile of the eL, the first thing you must do is confront all elements which are of a poor standard, and all eL fans know just how shockingly bad the standard of officialdom is here. Pretending that it's not a serious problem is no way to get it sorted out.

(There are obviously other elements which need to be sorted out as well as the level of refereeing)

Éanna
20/05/2005, 10:46 AM
I wouldn't go along with importing referees, I think its a bad idea full stop. but that doesn't mean they have to reward total incompetence either

Copa Mundial
20/05/2005, 3:42 PM

:ball: Fully agree with you on this.Referees are never going to win when it comes to supporters.One set of fans are going to be unhappy at every decision,its human nature.
Importing referees is a sell out,there are referees in this country that are as good as those from abroad,weather people like it or not.They just dont seem to get the same exposure.
I would have liked to have seen the referee appointed on ability and performance rather than politically!!
Its very easy to come on here and slate referees,they are an easy target to vent peoples frustration and have no platform to reply.

I am aware that many in here will disagree with me but have any of us ever refereed a game?If not,are we qualified to know what we are talking about??
And before anybody starts having a go, I am aware that everyone is entitled to an opinion!! ;)

Éanna
20/05/2005, 4:27 PM
I would have liked to have seen the referee appointed on ability and performance rather than politically!!exactly!

patsh
20/05/2005, 5:18 PM
I would have liked to have seen the referee appointed on ability and performance rather than politically!!

Can anybody actually name a referee from this island who has any ability or ever given a really good performance?:eek:

Sonic
20/05/2005, 5:44 PM
Can anybody actually name a referee from this island who has any ability or ever given a really good performance?:eek:
Poor Alan Kelly's performance in 2003 FAI Cup Final would have been flawless if it finished one minute earlier. ;)

MariborKev
20/05/2005, 6:29 PM

Alan Kelly in the Harps v Derry playoff game in the Brandywell

Outstanding :D

Réiteoir
20/05/2005, 6:42 PM
Should have been David Malcolm or Alan Kelly doing the Final tbh

pete
21/05/2005, 12:29 PM
Never seen Alan Kelly referee a City game as seems hes not allowed to :rolleyes: but i thought he was the dominated no.1 eL ref on fast track for Uefa/Fifa?

:confused:

centre mid
21/05/2005, 4:03 PM
Rhona Daly? is this one of those funny threads to catch everyone out? She did the bray v drogs game when jody lynch got sent off, she flagged after one of the drogs players shouted at her, she couldnt even see the incident

pete
21/05/2005, 5:01 PM
Rhona Daly? is this one of those funny threads to catch everyone out? She did the bray v drogs game when jody lynch got sent off, she flagged after one of the drogs players shouted at her, she couldnt even see the incident

I think she has become a token gesture now or maybe we just notice her more. She fairly woeful but standard of linespeople is even more pathetic than the refs. Most lines-people seem to wait until ref makes decision for throw-ins before flagging.

De Town
21/05/2005, 5:22 PM
Never seen Alan Kelly referee a City game as seems hes not allowed to :rolleyes: but i thought he was the dominated no.1 eL ref on fast track for Uefa/Fifa?

:confused:
That is so stupid considering all the Dublin refs that ref Dublin teams v country teams :mad:

centre mid
21/05/2005, 5:43 PM
I think she has become a token gesture now or maybe we just notice her more. She fairly woeful but standard of linespeople is even more pathetic than the refs. Most lines-people seem to wait until ref makes decision for throw-ins before flagging.

That offside decision against yous ( v portadown ) was desperate, i think i remember her doing the line in a lsl game i played in a few years ago, cant say her performance that day warranted a call up to the EL, presume its just the politically correct thing to do,

Stevo Da Gull
22/05/2005, 9:33 PM
Assistants: Rhona Daly

:D :( :mad: :rolleyes: :confused:. I think I've said enough!