PDA

View Full Version : Kerr not too happy with Dunne

drinkfeckarse
19/05/2005, 2:07 PM
From Eleven-a-side.com

Kerr “disappointed” in timing of Dunne surgery– report

May 18, 2005

Republic of Ireland manager Brian Kerr has expressed his disappointment after Manchester City defender Richard Dunne went against his wishes and underwent two operations on his ankles recently.

Kerr had urged Dunne to postpone the surgery until June 9th in order to ensure his availability for the World Cup Group Four qualifiers against Israel and the Faroe Islands.

However, Dunne chose instead to accede to the wishes of his club by going under the knife earlier to give him plenty of time to recover for the beginning of pre-season training in July.

Speaking to Wednesday’s Irish Sun, Kerr said: “I understand he underwent surgery last week which is going to keep him out for a number of weeks and, so, means he cannot be considered for selection.

“I am disappointed with the timing of his surgery as I did ask for it to be postponed until June 9 – after our World Cup qualifiers.

“I spoke to Richard about this and he knows that I was not particularly happy about the situation because I told him so.

“I talked to both him and the club doctor about waiting until next month but Manchester City were adamant that it be done immediately. I made my feelings clear and there was nothing more I could do.”

Hope Brian doesn't hold a grudge against him because of it. Dunne will be our number 1 centre back soon enough I'd say. I wouldn't want Mr Kerr cutting his nose off to spite his face....

drummerboy
19/05/2005, 2:39 PM
Whats the problem, Brian, he wasn't going to start either of these matches.

stickyjoe
19/05/2005, 2:41 PM
i think kerr is bang out of order there.

he obviously needed the surgery as he missed out on citys last 2 premiership games when they were chasing a UEFA cup spot

Junior
19/05/2005, 2:47 PM
He wasn't out of order at all. He's our national manager, with the national teams interests at heart. He was perfectly right to ensure Dunne and Man City knew his views on the matter. Whether Dunne was going to play or not makes no difference, you name a squad for a reason.

It made no odds in the end, as Dunne and City went ahead with their plan, which they were entitled to do.

NeilMcD
19/05/2005, 3:30 PM
I agree with Junior. Brian Kerr is in charge of Ireland and it is his job to ensure that his players are available. It is Stuart Pearces job to ensure that Dunne was available for next season. It seemed a strange one at the time as City were fighting for Europe.

tricky_colour
19/05/2005, 7:04 PM
Well as he missed important games for City it seems like he needed the op,
didn't he miss the game which could have given City a place in Europe? Games don't come much bigger than that so it is hard to criticise either Dunne or City. Aside from that if he was not up to playing for City he probably would not have been up for playing for Ireland, and chances are he would not be playing anyway as its unlikely Kerr would change the starting line up anyway, so I don't really see it an an issue and there is no point in makiig a fuss over it, it serves no purpose. Also we have matches against
France and Switzerland in September and October so I assume he will be fit
for those.

drinkfeckarse
20/05/2005, 7:54 AM
so I don't really see it an an issue and there is no point in makiig a fuss over it, it serves no purpose.

It shouldn't have been an issue in my view (as he obviously needed the op) but Kerr is definately making it into one.

Stuttgart88
20/05/2005, 8:16 AM
Another falling out / public media spat between these two is the last thing we need.

dr_peepee
20/05/2005, 7:29 PM
Some people for whatever reason are afraid to criticise Brian Kerr.... Maybe it's because of some sense of misplaced loyalty to the local boy done good...

But he's wrong... Full Stop.. And I have serious questions about his man management.

Ian Harte made noises in the media recently over his situation and was slated by allot of sections. So for Kerr as manager to publicly question his player is also wrong. Bearing in mind that appart from warming the bench against Isreal and the Faroes, Dunne also missed the crucial end of season run in for City and as their best player this season may well have cost them a European place, so the I think it's fair to say the decision to have the op wasn't one taken lightly.

This is the latest in a series of puzzling incident involving Kerr and other players, maybe his lack of a profile resulted in a hardline approach to try get more from players, I dunno..

Junior
20/05/2005, 8:08 PM
Some people for whatever reason are afraid to criticise Brian Kerr.... Maybe it's because of some sense of misplaced loyalty to the local boy done good...

But he's wrong... Full Stop.. And I have serious questions about his man management.

I disagree (And I am not someone who blindly defends Mr 'Defensive' Kerr). All he has done is try to ensure one of his key squad members is available for a very important forthcoming qualifier. What was he supposed to do, say nothing? All he has said is that he is disappointed he is not available and didn't wait for the op till after the game.

I'd be extremely disappointed and would question Kerr's management if he didn't get involved in the discussions surrounding Dunnes fitness / availability etc....

dr_peepee
20/05/2005, 10:26 PM
There's no question or discussion over his absence in my mind.

He wasn't available for Club OR Country, end of. If he'd played to the end of the season and then had the op, yes I'd understand the tone of the comments.

"I spoke to Richard about this and he knows that I was not particularly happy about the situation because I told him so"

What was the point of the statement to the press?? What's to be gained??

Nobody has worked harder to get their act together than Richie Dunne and a statement like that questions his integrity in front a much wider audience than the one in that room in Saipan.

If he felt as he does, he told him so and that should've been the end of it, between the two of them.

He wasn't as vocal when he over looked him for squad involvement when he was one of the best centre halves in the top flight.

thejollyrodger
20/05/2005, 10:33 PM
i agree with kerr. The least Dunne could have done was waited a few weeks FFS. This is something of national importance. who gives a fiddlers about man fúckin city

Cowboy
21/05/2005, 12:31 PM
who gives a fiddlers about man fúckin city

Obviously Richard Dunne does, its a tough situation for him as they pay his wages. That being said I agree with Brian Kerr .

Colie
21/05/2005, 12:35 PM
Hope Brian doesn't hold a grudge against him because of it.....

Brian hardly holds a grudge, look at the Hartey situation!

tricky_colour
21/05/2005, 5:38 PM
i agree with kerr. The least Dunne could have done was waited a few weeks FFS. This is something of national importance. who gives a fiddlers about man fúckin city

That thinking just doesn't add up as the games he missed for Man C were
more important to City than the upcoming games are for Ireland, in which
he would not have started anyway.

eirebhoy
21/05/2005, 8:54 PM
It was the clubs decision, not Dunne's. Kerr is in the wrong imo. Man City could be in the UEFA cup now if it wasn't for Dunne's operation so they were taking a big risk.