PDA

View Full Version : ian curtis bio-pic "control"

the 12 th man
18/05/2005, 8:50 PM
on the radio tonight: movie apparantly being made atm,film will feature actual "joy division" tracks.

the soundtrack will feature a separate cd where artists that have openly acknowledged the j.d. influence on their careers have been invited to record their version of a j d song.

u.2. :eek: and a collaboration between morrissey & johnny marr (with hatchet buried)have been confirmed.

apparantly kraftwerk are the only people to have turned down the offer.

anybody know about this ?

Neish
18/05/2005, 9:44 PM
Cool!

Who is playing Curtis?

Gerrit
18/05/2005, 11:46 PM
I hope they'll tell the story like it really was. Ian Curtis is a legend. In fact, despite them not making goth music as per definition, Joy Division were rather goth in my opinion. The music was very gloomy and exploring the dark side of life, both lyrically and musically. Joy Division searched and created beauty in darkness, and that's one of the basics of gothic art. A great artist was lost and I'd say that he can be ranked amongst the biggest losts of the music world in general.

I still remember a very good book on the history of dark rock and gothic music. Peter Murphy from Bauhaus (hail to the Count !) was talking there about the day Curtis took his own life. "Ian Curtis showed us that the disease was real, that depression was real. He was never faking, it was all real."
It was very impressive to read how deeply he was respected amongst fellow musicians and how shocking it was that he gave up the battle, a battle of which some people apparently never believed it was really being faught...

"Disorder" is a brilliant song...

I've been waiting for a guide to come and take me by the hand
Curly sensations make me feel the pleasures of a normal man
I've got the spirit but lose the feeling...

Still gives me the shivers when I hear it...

Dublin12
19/05/2005, 9:13 AM
Has anyone seen that Joy Division tribute band thats doing the rounds at the moment??,was half thinking of checking them out but wouldn't mind hearing some reviews first.I've never seen any tribute bands,would imagine you'd be looking for mistakes all the time.

Gerrit
21/05/2005, 1:15 AM
i've seen hangouts for their gigs.

As I said, I don't know about tribute bands. Also, don't they get in trouble with copyrights, as they sing songs by another band and make (small) money with it ?