PDA

View Full Version : Ireland-Eurovision winners 2005?

sligoman
18/05/2005, 7:12 PM
Simple question:

Do you think we will win the Eurovision this year?

A poll on this please ;)

Green Tribe
18/05/2005, 8:02 PM
let me think....more chance of me being a nun!

paul_oshea
18/05/2005, 8:09 PM
ya you'd fail on the "medical" :D

Green Tribe
18/05/2005, 8:31 PM
ya you'd fail on the "medical" :D

shush!!! :D

Sister Julie has a nice sound to it, where's the nearest Convent? :eek:

Gerrit
18/05/2005, 10:48 PM
I haven't heard any song really. I find it kinda exciting to hear them the first time on the evening itself and having to judge them on first impression, the way the jury had to do in the pre-televoting days. I get kinda curious though every time I read on the upcoming ESC, so maybe -just maybe- I will try to at least hear a few samples...

CollegeTillIDie
19/05/2005, 8:13 AM
On the basis that RTE deliberately pick songs that have no hope of winning then no.

Dublin12
19/05/2005, 8:16 AM
The Eurovision is a bit of a gay fest imo,I hope we finish last :o

sligoman
19/05/2005, 9:44 PM
Do you think we will win the Eurovision this year?

I guess not then ha? :o :mad:

Green Tribe
19/05/2005, 9:46 PM
I guess not then ha? :o :mad:

maybe better to wait til after the semi-final for a poll :o . Well, at least i don't have to become a nun, phew! :D Voting was a shambles, good songs lost out

IsMiseSean
19/05/2005, 10:07 PM
My vote is goin to the girl that done the splits at the end of her song :eek:

paul_oshea
19/05/2005, 11:31 PM
The Eurovision is a bit of a gay fest imo

d12 i never liked southsiders, but that is up there with the best of them.

Neish
19/05/2005, 11:43 PM
As they failed to quailfy I would have to say no thank christ no Tax hike to stage the stupid thing

paul_oshea
19/05/2005, 11:49 PM
niesh there was a big no beside that a minute ago, yet now it shows differently even though it doesnt say last edited.... :confused: :confused:

yes the government runs rte, and rte pick the worst.

to be fair i think we won it at a time when it was still a decent competition and when talent counted for 80 percent of the overall package. so we should draw something from that.

Poor Student
19/05/2005, 11:53 PM
yes the government runs rte, and rte pick the worst.

Didn't we the people of Ireland (or is that the people of Athlone) pick that abomination?

Green Tribe
19/05/2005, 11:53 PM
would be worse if it was a cracking song, but didn't qualify.....

Green Tribe
19/05/2005, 11:58 PM
Didn't we the people of Ireland (or is that the people of Athlone) pick that abomination?

an rte you're a star panel picked from an early stage certain candidates, but then each week, the public were voting :rolleyes: would be interesting to see how the henry girls (my choice) with 'dreaming ' would have got on, at least they had a half decent song. :mad:

onenilgameover
20/05/2005, 12:03 AM
I missed it...Got home from football late when they where opening their little envelopes. Did she fall over cos she nearly did on the Pat Kenny show. Ye have to wonder will we ever win this thing again. With all these new countries they may start bringing in group stages and all sorts. If so I reckon we'd be happy with a quarter final place. Sure where just there on the **** really.

Green Tribe
20/05/2005, 12:08 AM
1. bring back johnny logan to sort things out
2. shoot everyone involved on you're a star except linda martin, she had some cop-on
3. Reform Yugoslavia
4. Let me pick the song :o
5. Resort to bribery
6. Disconnect phonelines/mobiles in Athlone

Poor Student
20/05/2005, 12:09 AM
Ye have to wonder will we ever win this thing again.

I doubt it. Either we truly have no talent or originality in this country or the selection system is flawed or intentionally putting crap forward. To compound this we have the tele voting where the Irish town who can vote for their own the most times in the alloted time wins. Then we have to compete with the bloc and diaspora voting as well as the odd talented or original act. It's just not going to happen.

Green Tribe
20/05/2005, 12:13 AM
I doubt it. Either we truly have no talent or originality in this country or the selection system is flawed or intentionally putting crap forward. To compound this we have the tele voting where the Irish town who can vote for their own the most times in the alloted time wins. Then we have to compete with the bloc and diaspora voting as well as the odd talented or original act. It's just not going to happen.

we have wonderfully talented musicians and singers, we need to resort back to a traditional Celtic-Irish theme, like 'The Voice' Eimear Quinn. But maybe something more lively, plenty of instruments, no cheesy pop carry-on. Europeans don't expect it from Ireland, I do think we would get so many more votes doing such a song.

onenilgameover
20/05/2005, 12:14 AM
1. bring back johnny logan to sort things out
2. shoot everyone involved on you're a star except linda martin, she had some cop-on
3. Reform Yugoslavia
4. Let me pick the song :o
5. Resort to bribery
6. Disconnect phonelines/mobiles in Athlone

You could have stopped at your first Suggestion on your list...He is all we need...Johnny Logan is a Legend a God or a Diety if you will. Look at him here...If only a was dat way....

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.mmediahost.com/artiesten/JohnnyLogan01.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.pbmusicprom.nl/promo.php&h=964&w=1124&sz=66&tbnid=P7svG4A8N6kJ:&tbnh=128&tbnw=149&hl=en&start=1&prev=/images%3Fq%3DJohnny%2BLogan%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa fe%3Doff%26rls%3DCNDB,CNDB:2005-13,CNDB:en%26sa%3DN

Green Tribe
20/05/2005, 12:21 AM
A Legend indeed, and he is popular in Germany, so that helps in the voting ;) Hold me now, don't stop, blah blah blah blah, class song, one of his many greats :D Would like to know what RTE will do next year!!!!!!!! :mad:

Poor Student
20/05/2005, 12:32 AM
A Legend indeed, and he is popular in Germany, so that helps in the voting ;) Hold me now, don't stop, blah blah blah blah, class song, one of his many greats :D Would like to know what RTE will do next year!!!!!!!! :mad:

Same thing of course. They have cracked the formula. Formula on how not to ever bear the burden of expense to hold the thing again. ;)

Troy.McClure
20/05/2005, 12:48 AM
I think that its fair to say that Ireland and the Irish people have a great nack of wrecking polls - The Wolfe Tones comes to mind. I'd love it if we screwed up the Eurovision too. Can you immagine what would happen if we put in U2 or Damien Rice? I could just immagine the poxy enterants from Estonia or where ever walking on after them blairing out Elevation or Sunday Bloody Sunday :D

Lionel Ritchie
20/05/2005, 11:00 AM
It's a great day for Irish music!

I happened to call to a mates house just as tweedle dee and tweedle dum were starting so I finally got to see the gruesome twosome in action. Oh mercy....

A one legged man in an a r s e kicking competition would've been in the running for longer.

A great great great day. Well done to all concerned ...thoroughly entertained :eek: :D :cool:

pete
20/05/2005, 11:44 AM
RTEs ratings for the big night on saturday will now surely suffer a lot?

They probbaly not too concerned as have already made a fortune from text votes for "U a Star?".

:rolleyes:

Neish
20/05/2005, 11:51 AM
niesh there was a big no beside that a minute ago, yet now it shows differently even though it doesnt say last edited.... :confused: :confused:

Aye but that big no there and thought it was far too big, and edieted withing a minute. AFAIK if you edit a post within 5-10 minutes of orignally posting. It will not show up as edited

ollie
20/05/2005, 12:05 PM
did any of ye think that the male presenter sounded a bit like Borak from ali g.i was in stitches laughing at him.he surely knew how he sounded. :D

superfrank
20/05/2005, 3:36 PM
Maybe it was a good thing we didn't get thru. Do we really want two stereotypes representing us?

Green Tribe
20/05/2005, 3:53 PM
did any of ye think that the male presenter sounded a bit like Borak from ali g.i was in stitches laughing at him.he surely knew how he sounded. :D

the one from kazhakstan that speaks Polish? was it boran? :rolleyes: :D yeah he is funny, especially when he went to USA. The presenters are a bit thick at times but not as bad as the Turkish ones last year :eek:

Green Tribe
20/05/2005, 4:03 PM
Maybe it was a good thing we didn't get thru. Do we really want two stereotypes representing us?

What I find is a big insult is that, Ireland, a country well known for it's wide variety of talented musicians, dancers and singers, songwriters, writers etc cannot come up with a decent act, and resort to their money grabbing YAS/Pop Idol style dung.... :mad: Seems that the McCauls and all back home are blaming the eastern countries for voting each other, which is partly true, but at least we would be able to say that for certain IF we had sent a decent song etc

Gerrit
21/05/2005, 12:28 AM
Ireland and Belgium both out before the actual contest comes up :(

I support a song and not a country usually, but still, I haven't heard the songs yet and with that in mind it's a bit extra exciting to wait and hear and judge those particular two entries.

The only upside is that it makes it less pity that I will see it on tape afterwards instead of live. At the moment of the ESC, I'll be in Tolka Park...

Pauro 76
21/05/2005, 9:13 AM
Shame about that... :rolleyes: where did we finish? And did Greece make it through, putting a few quid on them after the sneaky advert apperance of their song...

Green Tribe
21/05/2005, 11:00 AM
Greece already in final as they were placed high enough lasy year -3rd

paul_oshea
21/05/2005, 11:27 AM
did any of ye see the email going round on why we didnt win the eurovision??its quite funny, ill post the pics if no one has seen it. :D

pete
21/05/2005, 1:12 PM
Those 2 irish kids were glorified kareoke signers. At least we spared the rest of europe seeing them.

sligoman
21/05/2005, 3:20 PM
To be honest, I dont think Ireland will ever win it again and I dont think they actually want to win it again because it cost's them too much to stage the event.

sligoman
21/05/2005, 3:21 PM
did any of ye see the email going round on why we didnt win the eurovision??its quite funny, ill post the pics if no one has seen it. :D

No haven't seen it yet!

CollegeTillIDie
21/05/2005, 4:17 PM
Two facts should be borne in mind regarding the Eurovision Song Contest.

1/ It has little or no connection with modern state of the art popular müsic as it is known West of the former Iron Curtain.

It actuallÿ seldom if ever did but it lost all connection sometime in the early 1990ś when winners started mysteriously disappearing up their own rear ends not having managed to crack the Top 40 in any significant European Record buying market.

2/ Youŕe A Star is the completely wrong vehicle for selecting an entrant.
I think that is what has emerged in the past 2 years. This yearš song woeful and all as it was was way better than the pile of pooh Chris Doran was asked to deliver last year, the writer himself virtually disowned the dam thing, which landed us in the semi-final in the first place. Bri(y)an McFadden and Phil Coulter are responsible for this predicament. They between them were responsible for the pitiful entry in 2004.

We don´t even submit passable crap songs anymore, and sending out kids to do adults work was very unfair on Donna and Joe.

They should resume having an open competition for selecting the songs at least. The past few years it has been an invitees submission of songs and the fact is Coulter has lost touch with the Contest and itś idiosyncratic requirement¨s. He is yesterdayś man where that issue is concerned as is Johnny Logan. RTE must be delighted it will be at least 2 years now before we even make a final !

IsMiseSean
21/05/2005, 11:14 PM
Sadly greece won, I wanted Israel to win what a beauty!

Poor Student
21/05/2005, 11:25 PM
Sadly greece won, I wanted Israel to win what a beauty!

I thought she was fairly talented too. Maybe only second to the Maltese lady, who sadly for her lacked the necessary sex appeal need these days. The Israeli was always going to be handicapped, no neighbours and indeed not too popular a country. Greece on the other hand have neighbours in Turkey, Bulgaria, Albania, Macedonia and Serbia as well as an island with a lot of Greeks in Cyprus. Plus their entrat was born in Sweden and the Greek have a few expats lying about the place. And she showed plenty of leg. :rolleyes:

Anyone think our 12 points for Latvia has anything to do with the recent influx of Latvians into Ireland? :D

CTID speaking of the Iron Curtain from which side of it does your keyboard come from? :eek:

Green Tribe
22/05/2005, 2:38 AM
bonsoir ,,my little chums!

one is a bit tipsy tonight after a mad eurovision party, there was 30 of us, mostly european mix( one greeek :rolleyes: ) and a few asians, which we had to explain everything too, political , neighbour voting etc FFS :rolleyes:

Sh!t loads of wine, actually a lecturer came to the party(he was as p!shed as a fart), but not the randy one, thank God! :D I wanted NOrway, Bosnia, Malta or Switzerland to win but of course they fcuking didn't :mad: . Greek song was good in parts, but the chorus was cheesy eurovision. the wedgie violin thing she did with the dancer WTF?

We were a bit noisy in the party after eurovision, we were dancing and singing, drinkinhg etc in student residence nearby, the fcuking warden came! at 01:00, checked our student ID, told us to leave, we protested, said we were pretty quiet, he said, ok stay til 02:00, then party over, at 02:00, we went to a flat next door :D , and they found us again, came at 02:45 and kicked us out....so b@stards spoilt our eurovision party. did ya all see cyprus, the dirty boy and his pole dancing ah ah ah ha ha aha.............

Green Tribe
22/05/2005, 3:14 AM
Sounds like ye were banged to rights............look fwd.to a reprise next Sat.night,with a load of dishevelled Tims/'Fenians'! :p ;)

oh yes, big replay of party next weekend, when ireland fcuking actually win something!!! :mad: PS, Les Royaume-Unis (sp) je suis completement bouree!! nil points muh huh ghuhuhuhdhchodshcoin

ok, like 16 points, but still it was nil pour longtemps hee hee! Javine must be raging, they will be talking about politcial voting cos, song was good and she showed her arse so, should help.........

Cyprus cracked me up, gay as fcuk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: t-shirt soooooooo tight

Boke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

GavinZac
23/05/2005, 12:58 AM
3. Reform Yugoslavia

true, or transport the island to the black sea, next to turkey, greece, bulgaria, romania, moldavia, hungaria, dirkadirkaria...

Green Tribe
23/05/2005, 2:38 PM
true, or transport the island to the black sea, next to turkey, greece, bulgaria, romania, moldavia, hungaria, dirkadirkaria...

fine by me, would like a bit more sunshine... :D

ps sorry for my drunken rants on sat night here........ :o

Poor Student
23/05/2005, 7:01 PM
fine by me, would like a bit more sunshine... :D

ps sorry for my drunken rants on sat night here........ :o

You were drunk? :eek: Seemed the same as usual to me. :p

Green Tribe
23/05/2005, 7:46 PM
You were drunk? :eek: Seemed the same as usual to me. :p

Oh dear, I am worried at that response! You trying to say I talk sh!te all the time, hee hee ;) :D :D