PDA

View Full Version : Lions versus Argentina May 23rd

Nempton
18/05/2005, 4:14 PM
Lions: Murphy; Hickie, Smith, D'Arcy, S Williams; Wilkinson, Cooper; Rowntree, Byrne, Hayes; O'Kelly, Grewcock; Taylor, Moody, Owen.
Replacements: Thompson, White, O'Callaghan, Corry, Cusiter, O'Gara, Horgan.

Just heard the starting fifteen to play against Argentina. Its clear that players like Wilkinson and D'arcy who didn't feature in the Six Nations are being allowed the chance to shine and stake their claim in the test squad because Woodward is a big fan of theirs.
Players like Murphy and O'Kelly (I think O'Callaghan is better than Malcolm), must view this as their chance to cement a starting role in the test matches if they do well, while I think the other players Woodward picked is just to show him what they can do.
Overall this match is for players to prove a point to Woodward that they are good enough to be Lions and play against New Zealand. Should be a good match against the Pumas.

pete
18/05/2005, 9:12 PM
Yeah looks like team of 2nd string including players recovering from injury. Probably no certain starters for tests risked?

Nempton
19/05/2005, 2:16 PM
Probably no certain starters for tests risked?
I'm a bit surprised by Murphy's selection, I would have thought that he would have being a definite starter. He is a star performer in the Zurich premiership and everyone knows how good he is. It could be because of Balshaw getting injured, he was rumoured to be the starting fullback in Woodwards plans but he's out now with injury. Woodward could be testing Murphy out at fullback which again is a surprise considering Geordan played there all season for Ireland :confused:

joeSoap
24/05/2005, 12:47 PM
Just heard the starting fifteen to play against Argentina. Its clear that players like Wilkinson and D'arcy who didn't feature in the Six Nations are being allowed the chance to shine and stake their claim in the test squad because Woodward is a big fan of theirs. They both shone alright...Jonny for all the right reasons, kicking well and saving their asses....D'Arcy for dropping every ball presented to him in a decent attacking position and not being too defensively clever. He'll struggle to make any impact at all playing like that. I know all the usual arguments...lack of match practice, unfamiliar gameplan, unfamiliar teammates etc, but its a relatively short tour, asnd a massive squad, so I hope he hasn't blown his chance. Although I feel he has cos Woodward will probably play an impact player (Shanklin, Horgan) at centre beside God.

Players like Murphy and O'Kelly (I think O'Callaghan is better than Malcolm), must view this as their chance to cement a starting role in the test matches if they do well, Donncha did really well last night...was very industrious and probably was the best forward the Lions had. Murphy, I thought, drifted in and out of the game too much, but showed some brilliant flashes..

pete
24/05/2005, 1:31 PM
O'Callaghans major flaw is that he gives away too many stupid free kicks in dangerous areas.

Nempton
24/05/2005, 5:31 PM
D'Arcy for dropping every ball presented to him in a decent attacking position
Your right about D'Arcy Joe, even at the end he really shoud have scored a try. I think he should just concentrate on playing for the second string in NZ. I don't know about Shanklin though starting beside O'Driscoll, I think it will be Henson but we will wait and see.

I heard today that the Pumas want to play in the six nations and are looking to get the support of the IRB. I think they would be a good addition and certainly make things more interesting.

jofyisgod
24/05/2005, 7:13 PM
That wasn't even a proper Argentina side! There were a number of amateurs, and they even had to pull the Hooker i think it was out of retirement to play!

They'd be a great addition, IMO. Travel would be an @rse though, and the Zurich clubs would take a dim view of the loss of players for ages.

JoeSemi
24/05/2005, 11:54 PM
Can anybody explain to me the significance of this Lions craic? From what I can gather its a few one off games with a squad picked from 4 countries to take on the most renowned team in world rugby. Why is it considered so important? Granted, its an honour to represent the best of Britain and Ireland, but what does it ultimately achieve when the pick of 4 nations beat one nation? :confused:

Macy
25/05/2005, 9:17 AM
They'd be a great addition, IMO. Travel would be an @rse though, and the Zurich clubs would take a dim view of the loss of players for ages.
They'd base themselves in Europe though, so the travel wouldn't be that much of a problem. The Zurich clubs will kick up with another weeks 6/7 nations, but fook em.

pete
25/05/2005, 11:46 AM
I was always surprised with so much Lions talk by international players when they representing their countries in the 6 Nations. I would have thought National team came first...

I hate the way irish rugby players use the "Home Nations" phrase.