PDA

View Full Version : That Tayto ad

dcfcsteve
18/05/2005, 1:42 PM
You've probably all seen that Tayto ad on TV. The Croke Park - "There's always one.." version.

It's been bugging me constantly for the last month that it's been on, as I really can't work out what they trying to say in the ad.

Now - I understand that they're trying to get across the idea that 75% of the country prefers Tayto over any other crisps (as indeed do I), and you don't want to be one of the weirdos who doesn't, but surely that ad says the exact opposite ?

Rather then that portray the non-Tayto eater as some sort of ugly loser/misfit/uncool idiot with no talent and no friends, they instead portray him as the wacky, popular, loveable guy who's a real joker and makes all his team-mates laugh ? Now ask yourself - looking at the rest of his gormless teammates the ad shows tucking into their Tayto in the changing room at the end of the game, who would you rather be... ?

Seems to be that rather than saying "there's always one - and you don't want to be a loser like them", the ad instead unintentionally says "Be a strong popular individual, stand-out from the crowd, be your own person - don't eat Tayto".

I'm fairly sure this is Tayto's first forray into propoer TV advertising as well. Anyone else as confused by it all as me and think they need to sack their ad company....? :)

hamish
18/05/2005, 1:51 PM
dcsteve - ad companies and PR firms are the greatest waste of space on this planet. Advert annoys me - but I suppose the fact that we are even talking about it is a plus for them. Yeh, it does send mixed messages which I presume was not the intent.

One thing I can remember was when someone involved with the English team's set up for 2002 mentioned that he used some orange biscuit thingy and sales rocketed up 400% the following day and no real advert involved!!
Jaffa cakes, that was the one.

paul_oshea
18/05/2005, 1:51 PM
i really havent thought about it that much :o

Babysis
18/05/2005, 1:54 PM
I saw it when I was in Galway last week. i just thought it didnt make much sense. but given that i was very drunk most of the time i assumed it was just me :D :o

the 12 th man
18/05/2005, 1:59 PM
d'ont want to hijack the thread but that ad about kfc salad is a head wrecker.

girls talking with their mouths full :(

paul_oshea
18/05/2005, 2:01 PM
now that is ridiculous, they dont even sound like they have their mouths full when talking, cos usually a person is comprehendible, but they arent. some adds are just pure stupid and put people off, i cant understand how they ever get released.

for exmaple that fat stupid frog with no willie :mad:

hamish
18/05/2005, 2:02 PM
d'ont want to hijack the thread but that ad about kfc salad is a head wrecker.

girls talking with their mouths full :(

I thought that was an ad for the Adult Channel???? :D :D

And NO I don't watch it. :D

Slash/ED
18/05/2005, 2:24 PM
It irritates the crap out of me when you talk about how annoying an ad is and someone says "Well that's the point, you wont forget that ad now so it's done it's job" so I've no decided to boycott all products with incredibley annoying ads to stop them taking over the TV. I'll never ever buy a Honda car again.

noby
18/05/2005, 2:24 PM
dcfcsteve,

I think you're reading too much into the main character. No-one ever said he doesn't eat Tayto, they just set up a scenario where people get to say 'there's always one', and link it to their 3 out of 4 statistic.

To give them some credit, they're going up against their rivals, Walkers, football-related ads (Lineker et al) with a very national identity - Tayto, as Irish as GAA.

I still think it's an awful ad though.

Poor Student
18/05/2005, 2:26 PM
I saw it when I was in Galway last week. i just thought it didnt make much sense. but given that i was very drunk most of the time i assumed it was just me :D :o

It probably made more sense that way. I hate that ad.

Ash
18/05/2005, 2:27 PM
Everybody ... Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah :D

I prefer King crisps myself

paul_oshea
18/05/2005, 2:33 PM
To give them some credit, they're going up against their rivals, Walkers, football-related ads (Lineker et al) with a very national identity - Tayto, as Irish as GAA.

i would choose tayto anyday over walkers, and yes the wallkers salt and vinegar are the wrong fuppen colour :mad:

Green Tribe
18/05/2005, 2:34 PM
The ad is a bit weak, could've came up with better. Doesn't matter though, I love Tayto, hate Walkers(too greasy) and no ad will influence my decision about anything....oh and Paul, the frog does have a willy, it is censored out though, no doubt someone complained.... :D

aido_b
18/05/2005, 2:47 PM
I'm prob gonna get an ass kickin for this but I hate Tayto! they're way too dry! now Buffalo Hunky Dorey, now theres a crisp! :D

Tayto ad is blooming awful, its been done already on some other add where all the lads start celebrating after they won the toss, they have to be able to come up with something better!

Slash/ED
18/05/2005, 2:48 PM
now Buffalo Hunky Dorey, now theres a crisp! :D

Oh god yes, absolute beautiful. That and the sour cream and onion ripples, pure class.

aido_b
18/05/2005, 2:49 PM
Oh god yes, absolute beautiful. That and the sour cream and onion ripples, pure class.

throw in a packet of bikers and bobs your uncle!

paul_oshea
18/05/2005, 2:54 PM
Buffalo Hunky Dorey

few pints, few games of pool and then a couple of packets of the above bloody lovely.

d ye know whats lovely as well. cup of tea and tayto salt and vinegar, strange combination but try it and get back to me....

cant beat an aul pack of snaps oor chickities!! monster much too...

i think we kids have gone off steve's original point.

shedite
18/05/2005, 2:56 PM
Ian, I didn't expect you back for ages, I heard you were dying of the flu.

I was, but more to the point, what are you doing in my office

Well pal, with you out sick the merger was going to go down the pan, wasn't it

Actually PAL, I spoke to them last night, they're signing today.

but home come, you're sick

Lemsip Max Strength, this sorts the men from the boys.

Slash/ED
18/05/2005, 2:58 PM
Oh god yeah I hate that ad to, really really hate it.

paul_oshea
18/05/2005, 2:59 PM
yes one of the worst right there.

fosterdollar
18/05/2005, 3:01 PM
- What's wrong?

- I've got a headache, I'm late for work and...

- ...you can't find the paracetemol. What's this then?

- Anadin!?

- Paracetemol from Anadin

- Oh, would you look at that!

- Right then, I'm off [whistling]

- Have a good day...

- I will.

the 12 th man
18/05/2005, 3:03 PM
It irritates the crap out of me when you talk about how annoying an ad is and someone says "Well that's the point, you wont forget that ad now so it's done it's job"

ditto,
you have to be able to point it out when an ad is pure sh1te.

it really does put me off when an ad is really bad .i would'nt shop in "harvey norman" if he paid me to take his poxy furniture

Green Tribe
18/05/2005, 3:16 PM
Tayto Onion Rings -to die for

Fives pickled onion, also by ...Tayto - equally to die for (they are designed for children though :o )

Yes Tayto s & v with tea is great. Have you seen their website, quite a variety available to order over the net......slurp :D

Aido b - shame on you, abandoning Tayto!!! :mad: :D You might like greasy Walkers then...... :eek:

paul_oshea
18/05/2005, 3:21 PM
Fives pickled onion

never heard of them :confused:

dahamsta
18/05/2005, 3:26 PM
It irritates the crap out of me when you talk about how annoying an ad is and someone says "Well that's the point, you wont forget that ad now so it's done it's job"Those people are the suckers that actually buy products based on advertising, or watch reality tv because they've been told it's cool, so you should hate them even more. They take the old adage that "all publicity is good publicity" at face value without understanding that it was never actually intended to apply to advertising in the first place. Lashback campaigns and boycotts have killed companies in the past and will continue to do so, if these people had a brain in their head they'd know that. Course they don't, cos they're Star readers.

so I've no decided to boycott all products with incredibley annoying ads to stop them taking over the TV.Boycotts are good, but they're not enough I'm afraid, you need to tell people about it, and then you need to tell the relevant company that you're doing it. It takes a minute or two to make that phone call, maybe five minutes if you get onto someone that actually cares. It really is worth it.

Me, I'm going to hunt down and kill the guy that came up with the KFC ad with the morons singing with their mouths full. Really, that person needs to die.

EDIT: I'm a McCoy's Ready Salted man meself btw.

adam

the 12 th man
18/05/2005, 3:33 PM

Me, I'm going to hunt down and kill the guy that came up with the KFC ad with the morons singing with their mouths full. Really, that person needs to die.

adam

probably the same tossers that thought up the other one with the kfc singers in the diner "can i have a bite ?". :mad:

p.s. apologies for reminding people about that abomination :o

Green Tribe
18/05/2005, 3:42 PM
never heard of them :confused:

:rolleyes: :D You haven't lived then!!

Tayto Fives (http://www.tayto.com/snacks.htm)

paul_oshea
18/05/2005, 3:47 PM
i think its the big "5p" that makes you like them :rolleyes:

having said that i dont recognise a few others.

the website is terrible, the big yellow background is woeful. even if it is aimed at Kids

A face
18/05/2005, 3:54 PM
Tayto are the job !! :p

Green Tribe
18/05/2005, 4:11 PM
i think its the big "5p" that makes you like them :rolleyes:

having said that i dont recognise a few others.

the website is terrible, the big yellow background is woeful. even if it is aimed at Kids

hah! but they are tiny packets :mad:

I recognise all of them :o

aido_b
18/05/2005, 7:35 PM
Aido b - shame on you, abandoning Tayto!!! :mad: :D You might like greasy Walkers then...... :eek:

Tayto suck ass, seriously they're way too dry! a good oul greasy bag of crisps always do the job!

and onion rings as well, jaysus it seems that your taste in crisps is as bad as your taste in men! :D

paul_oshea
18/05/2005, 8:08 PM
its CRIPS not crisps!!!!

Green Tribe
18/05/2005, 8:18 PM
Tayto suck ass, seriously they're way too dry! a good oul greasy bag of crisps always do the job!

and onion rings as well, jaysus it seems that your taste in crisps is as bad as your taste in men! :D

ya cheeky wee fecker!!!! slap slap slap!!!
:D

Fair_play_boy
18/05/2005, 10:35 PM
Most effective ad I see is junk mail from Dell, offering me a PC with twice the performance of my current one, at about half the price I paid for it. Guts me to see that multiple and fraction respectively getting worse and worse from my point of view. I am tempted to buy one quickly in case they realise that the offer is a mistake.

joey B
19/05/2005, 11:05 AM
Mc'coys are the best crisps fookin lovely, nice and chunky not shi*ty thin crisps like Tayto and Walkers.

Pauro 76
19/05/2005, 11:24 AM
- What's wrong?

- I've got a headache, I'm late for work and...

- ...you can't find the paracetemol. What's this then?

- Anadin!?

- Paracetemol from Anadin

- Oh, would you look at that!

- Right then, I'm off [whistling]

- Have a good day...

- I will.

wasnt there a bit of the ad at the end where the lass says "You will" in reply to "I will" but then they cut it out. Why?

oh and chipsticks my fave...

stojkovic
19/05/2005, 11:59 AM
1. BBQ Hula Hoops
2. Bacon Fries
3. Skips

Troy.McClure
20/05/2005, 12:32 AM
its CRIPS not crisps!!!!

Agh! Someone needs to beat you with a stick really hard, really quick! I HATE the word 'crips'. Id put it on the other thread, but I couldnt be arsed ;)

A face
20/05/2005, 12:41 AM
Most effective ad I see is junk mail from Dell, offering me a PC with twice the performance of my current one, at about half the price I paid for it. Guts me to see that multiple and fraction respectively getting worse and worse from my point of view. I am tempted to buy one quickly in case they realise that the offer is a mistake.

Would you not be suspicious of a company the advertises so aggressively ??
Is it that they dont have confidence in their product that they takes those measures ??

Macy
20/05/2005, 7:36 AM
Best Crisps....
1) Rancheros
2) Wheelies
3) Tesco Bacon Fries

Tayto Cheese & Onion always taste better when you can't get them - we used to bring home car fulls when we lived in England, I barely buy them now I can whenever I want. (actually vica versa too, pre walkers coming in, used to hanker after Ready Salted crisps after I moved back. No I can buy them, wouldn't bother that much).

Bluebeard
20/05/2005, 10:04 AM
King anyday over Tayto, Hunky Dorys if the wages are in.

Anyone else notice that Buffalo flavoured Hunky DOrys are apparently suitable for vegetarians? They went on about having Buffalos in Meath (cue snide comment about local County Gaa team). What part of the buffalo do they use then :eek:

Still love the Buffalo ones all the same.

ollie
20/05/2005, 11:32 AM
hard bate s+v King Crisps.nicest crisps around.not too strong,not too weak just perfect.

Ruairi
20/05/2005, 11:37 AM
walkers cheese and onion, period. the nicest crisps EVER.. although quavers, cheetos and monster munch are up there as well.

noby
20/05/2005, 12:37 PM
What part of the buffalo do they use then :eek:

The wings.

hamish
23/05/2005, 5:28 PM
Dou you know that ad for Carsberg where the bloke's truck breaks down and the old lady lets him use the phone. I'm bored with the ad at this stage but I love the edit (?) when the cat looks up after she invites him to use the bathroom.