PDA

View Full Version : Trust Meeting with Sligo Rovers FC

garykelly
18/05/2005, 8:38 AM
Representatives from the Trust & representatives from Sligo Rovers met on Tuesday night to discuss various issues. It was a very positive meeting and these meetings enable clear and constructive communication, which is very important. The major issues were :-

The Shed - The club are putting in the work to get the shed open. It will not be open for the Dublin City game, maybe for the Finn Harps game. If not open for the Harps game, it will definitely be open for the Galway United game.

July Transfer Window - The trust let Sligo Rovers know that they are willing to contribute towards the signing of a new player come the transfer window. Money as always is the major factor in determining whether transfer targets can be attained or not. In effect getting another player or two in could be the difference between promotion or even the difference between first and second. If you have any ideas to enable the trust to raise further funds then please let us know. The trust is all about making things better so let's hope we can get in some more funds. Any funds raised by the trust is a bonus for the club and takes us another step closer to being successful.

As always if you have a question for the trust to put to the club then please do contact us. We are here to represent you the supporter, football and positive progression at all levels.

redrov2005
18/05/2005, 2:18 PM
Can you ask if they have any intention of appointing a commercial manager ?

It's crazy in this day and age not to have one. Look at Galway who appointed Nick Leeson. I reckon he's going to bring in serious money for them despite all the jokes about him.

Given that they are talking about making money from the new astro turf surely it makes sense to have someone there to oversee that and to go out and approach businesses in a bid to raise money.

Also any chance of finally building a clubhouse ? If they are renting out pitches then lads afterwards would spend a few quid on quenching their thirst there.

It makes sense i reckon !

redrov2005
19/05/2005, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the reply!

madjack
19/05/2005, 1:16 PM
went to mcglynns at about 7.40 on tuesday. Place was closed. Was the meeting somewhere else?

garykelly
19/05/2005, 1:44 PM
Can you ask if they have any intention of appointing a commercial manager ?

It's crazy in this day and age not to have one. Look at Galway who appointed Nick Leeson. I reckon he's going to bring in serious money for them despite all the jokes about him.

Given that they are talking about making money from the new astro turf surely it makes sense to have someone there to oversee that and to go out and approach businesses in a bid to raise money.

Also any chance of finally building a clubhouse ? If they are renting out pitches then lads afterwards would spend a few quid on quenching their thirst there.

It makes sense i reckon !

Apologies for forgetting to reply.

AFAIK the club have plans to install a professional structure - in fairness it's a tough thing to do when you are trying to make ends meet . I think this is a medium to long term plan. You might think it's crazy having no commercial manager but i think the club would have to bring in a good bit more money not only to cover exisiting costs but that of professional administration at some point in the future. Galway have a commerical manager, but in fairness they do bring in alot of extra money through their trust,AFAIK. Hopefully we can emulate that. The supporters of Sligo Rovers have massive potential for doing better than other clubs in terms of getting involved. I personally think with rising costs and the levels of work needed to run a club, that the day of supporters only coming to a game every two weeks has to change. For a few years I sat and looked in and didnt have the inclination to do any more. But when I heard about the trust on this forum (i didnt know anyone that i now work with in the trust) I saw that as the time to do more than just attend games (not a slight at anyone - even going to a game is a show great support). If we supporters can generate alot more income which must be said is extra and money the club dont budget for, then all these things like pro administration, better players, better facilities etc can be acheived sooner rather than later. It's a knock on effect.

Ok,so someone will say well if the team are crap (which they arent, just an example) ,then supporters not going is a knock on effect. I think we now have perfect vehicle (the trust) for supporters to show their ambition, their talent and their ideas. Something which would without doubt propel our club to a higher level in everything.

Re: Clubhouse

The building of a clubhouse is something that does not feature in the development plans of the club. Meaning not happening in next five years, with everything else to be done in that plan. This is a perfect example of something supporters in the trust could get involved on. If for example there was to be no club house in 5 years, then why not establish a fund in the trust specifically for a clubhouse and set it up for next five years after which time the trust, if enough was raised could start it themselves. I'm not sure but the trust could be eligible for funding too. It can be defiinitely eligible to be registered as an organisation that can claim tax back on donations. Longford supporters did something similar when they went and built their own facilities in the ground after fundraising. You also have to take into account the close proximity of a pub to the showgrounds, and if the clubhouse couldnt be open for most days in the week, then how viable would it be.

Re: McGlynns

Sincere apologies Madjack. We met at McGlynns but seeing it was closed we had to relocate to the Riverside. We didnt know it was going to be closed. We prob just missed you by seconds i'd say. If you PM me your number I can text you to inform you of next meeting , changes etc. Apologies again.

redrov2005
24/05/2005, 1:04 AM
The point about having a professional commercial manager is that he/she would generate money !!!!

In other words their salary would be met,but with a bit of effort they would strike deals with Homebase,Next and all these shops that are coming in.

Generally i reckon that most commercial managers are on a basic salary and then get commission on what they bring in so while there initially make be a cost that should ( if the right person is appointed ) be far outweighed by the revenue they would bring in.

It's a business as Petmuller said. Virtually all the Premier Division clubs have one not to mention marketing people and so on.

Clubhouse
========

5 Years ??????

I take your points on board,but the whole point is that Rovers need to be be getting people into the Showgrounds not just every fortnight.

They need to maximise the potential that's there. If they are going to be renting out the astro turf pitches then i don't know about you,but most people are pretty thirsty after that.

So rather than having people heading into town spending money why not have them spending it at Showgrounds.

I also think a clubhouse would be a great focal point for supporters for meetings etc.

I know that pubs are quiet these days,but would the trust inquire about the success or otherwise of clubhouses around the country.

The GAA would have a clubhouse built in a weekend !!!

garykelly
24/05/2005, 8:44 AM
The point about having a professional commercial manager is that he/she would generate money !!!!

In other words their salary would be met,but with a bit of effort they would strike deals with Homebase,Next and all these shops that are coming in.

Generally i reckon that most commercial managers are on a basic salary and then get commission on what they bring in so while there initially make be a cost that should ( if the right person is appointed ) be far outweighed by the revenue they would bring in.

It's a business as Petmuller said. Virtually all the Premier Division clubs have one not to mention marketing people and so on.

Clubhouse
========

5 Years ??????

I take your points on board,but the whole point is that Rovers need to be be getting people into the Showgrounds not just every fortnight.

They need to maximise the potential that's there. If they are going to be renting out the astro turf pitches then i don't know about you,but most people are pretty thirsty after that.

So rather than having people heading into town spending money why not have them spending it at Showgrounds.

I also think a clubhouse would be a great focal point for supporters for meetings etc.

I know that pubs are quiet these days,but would the trust inquire about the success or otherwise of clubhouses around the country.

The GAA would have a clubhouse built in a weekend !!!

I agree with everything you are saying. A clubhouse should be a priority. It should have been done years ago. An interesting point is that Cobh Ramblers built their clubhouse using the proceeds of the games against Sligo Rovers in the FAI Cup. Not sure how true that is but very interesting if it is. So open to correction.

I said 5 years, becuase i thought it wasnt in the developement plan. I looked it up and it is in there. It's phase 5. Strange ? We met the club and they said there was no plans for it :confused:

But it could well take the long if you look at the plan.

Anyhoo here is the development plan (from sligorovers.com)

Phase 1 - Development of Western Stand - Complete

Provision of a new 1500 all seater cantilever stand with new dressing rooms, hospitality facilities and Press and disabled facilities

Phase 2 - Development of an all weather pitch and second pitch

Development of an all weather pitch on the Strandhill side of the ground coupled with a second pitch for the U21 and Youth teams.

Phase 3 - Removal of main wall

Replacement of current entrance facilities with a new entrance and car park.

Phase 4 - New Stand at the Railway End

Extending the covering and seating in the East Stand, and building a stand at the Railway end for away supporters. The club’s eventual aim is to turn the Showgrounds into a fully enclosed venue.

Phase 5 - Completion of stands on southern side of the stadium with a new clubhouse

Building of a clubhouse at the Shed end of the ground, which will provide a focal point for Sligo Rovers supporters
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personally, I'd prefer to see a serious stand (well more a complex) at the Shed end. Obviously called the Shed. It could be done in a way that it could include a clubhouse, admin offices and be a proper stadium front for Sligo Rovers FC.

The idea of surveying other clubhouses is a good idea, and the trust will take this on board and report back the findings.

In terms of a commerical manager I agree. And I would like to see such appointments made of people who have the qualifications and successful background, on a basic wage with commission added for increased revenue/business. The commerical side of the club is non-existent. Marketing the club well is a massive money maker.

Of course all these ideas will remain just that for the time being. As Petmuller said in a previous post, running the club is a massive task. So everything that can be done will have a precise time scale. There isnt enough person power/money there to do things in parallell. When the trust is set up fully, a fund could be established for a clubhouse venture, into which a regualar % of all trust income goes directly to the fund. When the club are then focussing on building the shed end venture, there would be the required funding to immediately apply for a development grant. The trust fund could represent the percentage needed to be raised locally to qualify for such a grant. Again as Petmuller said, the trust is dependant of supporters getting involved so when the time comes, hopefully they will.

roversforever
24/05/2005, 11:54 AM
I saw you say before that you were going to bring up about the student rate.so whats the story?coz it seems to me that its been forgotten about.BRING BACK THE STUDENT RATE!!! :(

gustavo
24/05/2005, 12:05 PM
.BRING BACK THE STUDENT RATE!!! :(

i second that!

Redzer
24/05/2005, 12:47 PM
i second that!
I was at both the Athlone and Kildare away games, and there was a student rate at both games. I dont understand whats the problem at Sligo. After all there is a student season ticket, so whats the problem with paying a student rate at the gate? IF YOU HAVE STUDENT ID.

The Stars
24/05/2005, 12:47 PM
This us an idea by the club to make money but infact they are lossing money. I know for a fact that students went up to the showgrounds on saturday night but because of the admission charge they simply walked away.
Man U fans eat your heart out,we are walking out without a hatred for malcom glazier

nephin
24/05/2005, 1:03 PM
I saw you say before that you were going to bring up about the student rate.so whats the story?coz it seems to me that its been forgotten about.BRING BACK THE STUDENT RATE!!! :(

From what I hear they are up to their eyes just getting the trust up and running. They need more support.
I'm not around often enough to help out but would if I could.

sligoman
24/05/2005, 1:07 PM
From what I hear they are up to their eyes just getting the trust up and running. They need more support.
I'm not around often enough to help out but would if I could.

Yes more people should be getting involved, it should'nt be left up to Gary and Alan and the few others to do everything.If you want things done then you join the trust!

garykelly
24/05/2005, 1:38 PM

This got left behind. The trust will ask the club at the next meeting as to the reasoning. Someone told me there was a piece about it in one of the papers in pre-season saying concessions were gone. A situation where students dont go into the ground becuase it's too expensive is unacceptable. So it will be looked into.

And there's no need to shout. Sligoman is right - join in with the trust, through which issues can be dealt with and not forgotten. Someone talking with a students point of view, would be an excellent way to get the club to revert to concessions again.

there's alot on to handle at the minute so it's a task to keep track of everything. So apologies if the odd thing get's left on the back burner be it inadvertantly or otherwise

see you at the next meeting Sligoman (probably Wednesday 1st June. will confirm)

LondonRover
24/05/2005, 2:09 PM
Phase 4 - New Stand at the Railway End

Extending the covering and seating in the East Stand, and building a stand at the Railway end for away supporters. The club’s eventual aim is to turn the Showgrounds into a fully enclosed venue.

Phase 5 - Completion of stands on southern side of the stadium with a new clubhouse

Building of a clubhouse at the Shed end of the ground, which will provide a focal point for Sligo Rovers supporters
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personally, I'd prefer to see a serious stand (well more a complex) at the Shed end. Obviously called the Shed. It could be done in a way that it could include a clubhouse, admin offices and be a proper stadium front for Sligo Rovers FC.

[/QUOTE]

I have to say, I think that stages 4 and 5 are the wrong way round in my opinion. A proper stand with clubhouse etc at the Shed End would be the business. It really would provide a focal (vocal?!) point for the Rovers fans. I can't believe that there hasn't been a clubhouse built in the past.
Even the smallest non-league over here in England has a clubhouse s a valuable source of matchday and non matchday funds. Even if only half of an average crowd bought one or two drinks you could be looking at the best part of two grand!! A proper clubhouse could even house a proper club shop for merchandise etc...
Seems madness that it's not seen as a priority.
The point made above about lads fancying a swift one after coming off the astroturf rings true aswell. Seems a golden opportunity being wasted.

Petmuller
24/05/2005, 6:21 PM
[/QUOTE]

I have to say, I think that stages 4 and 5 are the wrong way round in my opinion. A proper stand with clubhouse etc at the Shed End would be the business. It really would provide a focal (vocal?!) point for the Rovers fans. I can't believe that there hasn't been a clubhouse built in the past.
Even the smallest non-league over here in England has a clubhouse is a valuable source of matchday and non matchday funds. Even if only half of an average crowd bought one or two drinks you could be looking at the best part of two grand!! A proper clubhouse could even house a proper club shop for merchandise etc...
Seems madness that it's not seen as a priority.
The point made above about lads fancying a swift one after coming off the astroturf rings true aswell. Seems a golden opportunity being wasted.[/QUOTE]

A clubhouse in the showgrounds, ah the auld chestnut.
Lads, the reason there is no clubhouse in the showgrounds and won't be for a while yet can be summed up in one word .... politics

There's a few areas that the club have never delved into in terms of fund raising, two that spring to mind immediately are along the lines of a clubhouse where money can be raised without any great effort and the other is in the form of merchandising. The clubhouse idea has been knocked about for years and no real serious effort has been undertaken to try and develope the idea. Why? Conflict of interests that's why.
The merchandising issue really beggers belief.

redrov2005
24/05/2005, 7:28 PM
Petmuller can yopu elaborate on the " conflicts of interest". It just seems daft and as was pointed out is the need for a stand at the Railway end as big a priority as say something like a clubhouse ?

I can only presume that you are suggesting that publicans would be against such a move.

Thanks for the positive reply Gary and if you don't mind i am going to throw out the clubhouse debate on some of the other club forums to see if anyone knows how much money it generates for their club.

roversforever
24/05/2005, 8:07 PM
sorry gary i wasn't having a go.i just thought it needed to be mentioned coz it seems to have been left behind.I'd love to join the trust but i don't live in the town.im from south sligo(raf country!!!)and can't afford to be travelling to town all the time(the student thing again!!!).its expensive enough for me to travel to see the rovers on a saturday night and now i have to pay 10euro to see the game.im sure there are more people in the same position as me and to be honest i can see why people would turn away and not go in.

LondonRover
24/05/2005, 10:22 PM
Agree Redrov2005 - what are the conflicts of interest? Politics with regard to who?

I know that merchandise is a thorny issue but why for godsakes?

So many questions - so little time!

garykelly
25/05/2005, 8:29 AM
sorry gary i wasn't having a go.i just thought it needed to be mentioned coz it seems to have been left behind.I'd love to join the trust but i don't live in the town.im from south sligo(raf country!!!)and can't afford to be travelling to town all the time(the student thing again!!!).its expensive enough for me to travel to see the rovers on a saturday night and now i have to pay 10euro to see the game.im sure there are more people in the same position as me and to be honest i can see why people would turn away and not go in.

No probs. It's an aim when the trust is actually up and running to have regular meetings before home games. So if people turned up at six, for a meeting it would give loads of time to do it and be out of it by six at the latest. This way all supporters going to home games can also attend meetings.